It's aliiiiiiive!- Mtbr.com
    Spin-stabilized

It's aliiiiiiive!

After a few days of fiddling and dealing with component mismatches/hiccups, My new blue XCL is finally built.

I transfered most of the parts from my trusty old Chameleon. Got a deal online with the brakes but the quoted brake line length was actually 7 inches too short. I was going to return it but I could not wait any longer so I just got some cut-to-fit hose and finally got the bike built up last night (or early morning of yesterday?). I'm not a weight weenie, but when I pulled the bike off the workstand, it felt quite hefty. The frame was not that heavy but my old wheels and coil fork may be to blame. It felt like lifting my old 38-lb Kona Stinky. I was not too worried because afterall, I've used the Kona for epics. So off to the trail I went this evening for the first shakedown ride.

Wow! Traction baby! Technical rooty and ledgy climbs were way easier. This bike DOES NOT feel heavy at all on the climbs. In fact, the only time I feel the heft is when I pick it up to put it on the roof rack. Pointed downhill, it was a really nice ride. I tried to plow through all the roots and nastiness that I could find and was amazed by how it's so much easier to hold a line. Twisty and off-camber stuff was not a problem. It took more coaxing to manual, hop and launch than the chameleon but that's expected. I still need to get used to the squish in the back.

Oh yeah, I was agonizing over what size to get and the medium was definitely the way to go. I was reluctant since I prefer and have always ridden smallish (17-17.5 ish) frames. I'm glad I went with the medium. It was roomy enough but for some reason, I didn't feel the need to lower the seat for the steep rockfaces (including some natural "half pipes")that I rode today. I love the fit!

Thanks again to Alan and all the great folks at Chumba!

Got a shot before she got dirty

More control on the drops, even with my dog trying to pull me off the line
    Last edited by bailout; 06-08-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

banned
    Feb 2009
    nice bike! is that a beagle? I have a Beagle, not sure i would take her out on the bike though!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    very cool dude!...

Finals week ends for me this week on friday... we should ride... XD

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Welcome to the XCL Army! I love mine after 2 years, and I can't imagine owning another MTB.

We want to see some pics of it dirty!
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

Spin-stabilized
    Thanks!

SI-
    she's actually a harrier. She is small for her breed so we always call her a beagle mutt . Her brothers are the "standard" size I guess and look almost like foxhounds. She's learned to deal with my singletrack antics and runs along well on-leash (she would take off and just disappear forever if I let her off leash).

Mrpercussive-
    You gotta show me around pacifica dude!

Chuck-
    I missed that Coe ride on Saturday! If the weather is nice again next weekend, I'm heading out there to check out the new Kelly Cabin trail and of course, suffer. Let's really see how well the XCL climbs!

Feelthy peectures coming soon
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout

Mrpercussive-
    You gotta show me around pacifica dude!
    Havent been back out there since the day before i broke my collarbone. Life has changed a quite a bit since then as i've just focused much more on school and work... Definitely hitting it up after finals week next week though. Should have my bike back and running by then as well. Just awaiting shock hardware to arrive... XD

mtbr member
    Very nice, congrats! I've been seriously looking at a XCL myself. Great to hear about the ride on it.

Members who have read this thread: 0