Indy Fab Steel Deluxe, one year later....- Mtbr.com
    |i|

Indy Fab Steel Deluxe, one year later....

I was looking at the old thread that I posted a year ago, when I first got this bike. I've made some pretty significant changes to the setup -- switched it over to a longer stem, flat bar and just slapped on the new Mavic SLRs. I know alot of people dog these Mavic prebuilts, but for the combination of weight, stiffness, smoothness and looks, they are pretty hard to beat and compare very favorably to my old King wheelset. The bike is pretty much a missle on singletrack - fast and smooth. Compared to an aluminum frame, the ride is a nice combo of stiffness with just a little edge taken off from the sting of riding a hardtail. Despite the racy setup, I've been stoked with its versatility -- having the frame designed around a 100mm fork was definitely the way to go.

There are some flaws -- the chainstay is tight and it's tough to remove the rear wheel and clear the disc from the stay. The clearance between the crank and chainstay is also a little tight making chainsuck a nasty situation.

Overall -- still the best bike I've ridden and it's the first time I've gone a year without wanting a new frame. Of course, 953 is just around the corner....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    This is one schweet set-up!

I'd love to own one of those one day!

What's the weight?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

|i|
    I don't know the exact weight. Using my crappy scale, 22 lbs. It may be more or less as far as I know.

The drivetrain is the only thing that isn't light, but I'm gonna stick with the setup as long as I can. I've had those RaceFace Turbines since I was a commuter in college, 8 years ago - best part I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    This is one schweet set-up!

I'd love to own one of those one day!

What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where do you live and what kind of terrain do you ride on. The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of getting a new custom hardtail designed around a 100mm fork for the 'aggressive' XC trails here in the mid-atlantic western part of VA.

Got a XC dually which is really nice with all the chatter, but am starting to second guess it and think that the hardtail might be faster for racing and that a 100mm fork-hardtail would be a great compromise.

PS I've got the same crank with a Real Ti BB from 1998.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    that's way hawt! especially those wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Of course, 953 is just around the corner....
    Might be a pretty big corner.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

|i|
    I ride in Atlanta and Ocala, FL. So, tight, twisty trails with lots of roots. Some technical sections, but no major drops and no major rocks. This bike replaced a Turner Burner, which was a low travel FS.

Compared to the Turner, this bike rails corners and accelerates much better than the old one. With the Turner I could bomb certain sections without thinking, but I have to be more thoughtful with the hardtail, but I like that. Plus, riding a nice hardtail on a flowing piece of singletrack is just awesome.

On the trails I ride and have ridden, FS would really be an asset about 20% of the time -- for the rest, FS is overkill and the loss of efficiency is not worth it. The Turner was a very efficient FS, but this bike is like crack compared to it - faster and more responsive in every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    Where do you live and what kind of terrain do you ride on. The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of getting a new custom hardtail designed around a 100mm fork for the 'aggressive' XC trails here in the mid-atlantic western part of VA.

Got a XC dually which is really nice with all the chatter, but am starting to second guess it and think that the hardtail might be faster for racing and that a 100mm fork-hardtail would be a great compromise.

PS I've got the same crank with a Real Ti BB from 1998.

Members who have read this thread: 0