Inbred 456- Mtbr.com

Thread: Inbred 456

surly inbred

Inbred 456

I have about a month on it so far... figured I'd give a review of sorts. It started life SS but now sports a 1x8 drivetrain and serves my cross-mountain-all-country needs to a tee. The thing fit like a glove from the get go with 5" up front and feels just as nimble dropped to 4". It's my first steel frame and has that tinfoil stuff beat to hell. It's more attributed to my riding style, but the transition from 5x5 was non-existent ...I'm reconnected with the trail again.

Full length housing. DN6 tubing. MASSIVE tire clearance & very well balanced.

For the price point it's hard to beat, although I have a couple nits. Housing guides under the top tube just seem more logical to me (as my right knee will attest.) A second cage mount would be nice, too. Finish is iffy; a few spots passed over by the qc guy (couple dimples & some rough texture on one seatstay near the BB.) Other than that, my prissy self would like to see it in white (or a couple other options) although the blue is growing on me. Having seen it in person, there are hardly any pictures that give the true color justice.

27'ish lbs as pictured...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How stiff is the frame? The rear end looks super beefy. Is it harsh?

They turned me loose
    I'm still trying to sell my 20". I REALLY need an 18"

Looks nice dude.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    I'm still trying to sell my 20". I REALLY need an 18"
    Hey Adam... check yer pm's

It did seem weird that I actually considered a 16" frame for a bit. Glad I went 18" though... fit is spot on, although I may opt for a shorter stem to see if being able to loft the front end easier is a worthwhile trade for quicker steering. Get yourself a loooong seatpost if you make the switch.

Members who have read this thread: 0