I'm Torn: XCL or EVO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'm Torn: XCL or EVO

I know there has been a similar post on the pros and cons vs the XCL and the EVO but I now have my XCL built up and have been on a couple of rides and am second guessing myself if I should have gone with the EVO. Not becuse the XCL isn't a sweet machine, infact I have NEVER ridden a bike that climbs so well. Absolutely no waisted energy with the yo yo effect you get with some full suspension bikes. Also I love how the XCL accelerates up steep little rollers without bogging down. Those who have ridden one know what I am talking about. I am coming off an Intense 6.6 which is a very plush bike so maybe that is my biggest issue. The XCL just feels a little harsher to ride, more like a XC bike should I guess. I am wondering if the EVO may be the ticket for my ridding style. I know I will sacrifice some weight by going with the EVO and it probably wont climb as well but that's why am soliciting the advise of other Chumba owners. For those who have ridden both, please let me know your thoughts. I know I can be happy on the XCL but want to make sure that is the best ride for me while it is still new incase I decide to make a change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmove44
    I know there has been a similar post on the pros and cons vs the XCL and the EVO but I now have my XCL built up and have been on a couple of rides and am second guessing myself if I should have gone with the EVO. Not becuse the XCL isn't a sweet machine, infact I have NEVER ridden a bike that climbs so well. Absolutely no waisted energy with the yo yo effect you get with some full suspension bikes. Also I love how the XCL accelerates up steep little rollers without bogging down. Those who have ridden one know what I am talking about. I am coming off an Intense 6.6 which is a very plush bike so maybe that is my biggest issue. The XCL just feels a little harsher to ride, more like a XC bike should I guess. I am wondering if the EVO may be the ticket for my ridding style. I know I will sacrifice some weight by going with the EVO and it probably wont climb as well but that's why am soliciting the advise of other Chumba owners. For those who have ridden both, please let me know your thoughts. I know I can be happy on the XCL but want to make sure that is the best ride for me while it is still new incase I decide to make a change.

I am not sure that anyone can tell you what is right for you. A few questions though on the XCL setup you are using.
    1. How is your XCL setup, DHX or RP23?
    2. How much Sag are you running?
    3. Try dropping your rear shock psi about 5lbs and see if that helps
    4. Are you using propedal? I know that the propedal will give you a slightly "harsher" ride instead of keeping it open fully. I ride my XCL full open and use PP1 for any extended climbing.

Just some questions that may help.

Members who have read this thread: 0