im in...- Mtbr.com

Thread: im in...

shred my gnar

im in...

ordered the raspberry metallic xcl (large) yesterday!

woohoo! cant wait to shred the gnar with it...

pics to follow...

mtbr member

Come on

with the pics allready!!

Congrats :-)

shred my gnar
    pics will be on here as soon as the thing is in my garage!

mtbr member
    Nice - congratulations..I wish I could get one of the newer colors too!

mtbr member
    Is raspberry what they're calling that metallic red? If so, that color's HAWT! Looking forward to pics.

shred my gnar
    yeah... its "red" with the polished triangle. ill call it raspberry though... gives my buds a false sense of me and my new steed being soft... then i crush them with the xcl.

mtbr member

Garage?

That XCL belongs in the house, NOT the garage!!! shame on you I keep mine in the spare bedroom. I never saw a rasberry XCL before, it should look kool!. Is it a '07 with the butted tubing?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_lizard
    That XCL belongs in the house, NOT the garage!!! shame on you
    My 07 XCL frame is hanging on a hook in the garage as well. I can't decide which fork to buy. Also, I see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for an ailing shoulder...I'm afraid he's going to put the kibosh on mtb'ing for me this season.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I'm in too (don't tell my wife!!). Got a grey XCL on the way.

MTBGremmie
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    My 07 XCL frame is hanging on a hook in the garage as well. I can't decide which fork to buy. Also, I see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for an ailing shoulder...I'm afraid he's going to put the kibosh on mtb'ing for me this season.
    Hope it's not a rotator cuff. That took me out almost a year.

Good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Go with the Pike Uturn Air or the Talas 32. I like the Pike, but feel that the Talas would be nice to have as I ride mostly with the travel all the way out or all the way down. I rarely ride in the middle. Also, I think the Fox is a bit more small bump compliant. And some extra dough. 68 degree head angle seems like plenty to me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

pic

Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    pics will be on here as soon as the thing is in my garage!
    sorry happy ending...i had to do it. It is going to be a long weekend, the people need to see your bling, no matter how poor the photo is...

I saw this bike a couple weeks ago, it is absolutely gorgeous...dream bike category.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    sorry happy ending...i had to do it. It is going to be a long weekend, the people need to see your bling, no matter how poor the photo is...

I saw this bike a couple weeks ago, it is absolutely gorgeous...dream bike category.
    Ok, it's official. I like the red better than my black ano. I should have waited for pictures of these.

Great looking bike!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by jSatch
    Hope it's not a rotator cuff. That took me out almost a year.

Good luck!!!
    Just got back from the doctor. Good news...it's not torn, just impinged. Gave me a cortizone shot and physical therapy then sent me on my way. Also said I could keep riding my bike!

Sorry about the thread hijack...but, it's what I do best.

Trophy Husband
    Go with the Pike Uturn Air or the Talas 32. I like the Pike, but feel that the Talas would be nice to have as I ride mostly with the travel all the way out or all the way down. I rarely ride in the middle. Also, I think the Fox is a bit more small bump compliant. And some extra dough. 68 degree head angle seems like plenty to me...
    I thought the xcl had a 69 degree head angle? 68 might be acceptable, but there is a 7 to 8mm difference in a2c between the Fox and the Pike. Doesn't seem like much, but it's almost a degree in head angle.

Man, I'm really over-analyzing this...I keep talking myself into and out of all these different forks.

And I really like that RED!

mtbr member
    Did you buy that red xcl in the picture above? I just saw it yesterday getting packed up at Chumba HQ. Gorgeous bike - you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Geo: I've got the Pike on my Evo, and it's an outstanding fork. I have the extra stiff spring in mine, and I still feel the fork performs well in the small stuff, as well as taking the drops and jumps. I think the Pike would be a perfect fit for the XCL.
    I haven't ridden the Talas, but I've heard a lot of people complaining about the '06 model. Fox is a really good company though, so I'd think they would have addressed any problems that arose over the last couple of years.

shred my gnar
    uinta... no worries... i was going to hold off until i had some crispy pictures of it at my casa as well as some trail pics. i think i/my friends can do better, with pictures, than mba did in their review...

dubjay... yep. thats was my chariot you saw... should be here tomorrow!!!

my rm steel hardtail got it last licks in today... with gears anyway. it is destined for a makeover and will be my single speed town bike.

Apr 2007
    Nice !
    J
    Last edited by RacinJason; 05-26-2007 at 11:53 PM.

Apr 2007

Xcl!!!!!

BTW that is the the hand made XCL from OC Cal.

shred my gnar
    she is in the garage as of yesterday morning...

built it up last night and got to shred it around the neighborhood and hopefully ill get a chance this evening to give her a short trail ride and dial in the fork and shock...

all i can say so far is BAD-ASS!!!!!! she is built like a "freeride" bike and i would be surprised if it weighs 30 lbs... stout!

ill get some pics up and a spec list tonight...

mtbr member
    she is in the garage as of yesterday morning...

built it up last night and got to shred it around the neighborhood and hopefully ill get a chance this evening to give her a short trail ride and dial in the fork and shock...

all i can say so far is BAD-ASS!!!!!! she is built like a "freeride" bike and i would be surprised if it weighs 30 lbs... stout!

ill get some pics up and a spec list tonight...

Pics! Pics! Pics!

shred my gnar
    alrighty...

got home from work and managed to sneak in a 5-mile loop close to my house (soldier's trail for those familiar with flagstaff)... basically, low tech, fast, rolling singletrack with a couple short climbs and 1 decent down... fast with fun turns and some rocks... so...

HOLY ****!!!! this bike truly shreds the gnar! im not going to get deep into many comparisons but the only other bike that i test rode that compared to this was the '07 6" rm slayer sxc... the other 5"-ish bikes were just a different ride... yeti 575, spot, intense. no dice.

keep in mind that i have been riding a hardtail forever ('92 on anyway) so all of these fs bikes are a whole new world to me... this is my first bike with disc brakes if that puts things into perspective.

when i was researching what to buy i got to the point where i would laugh when i read the phrase "inspires confidence" and the adjective "plush"... as they are truly mtb cliches it seems... well, i dont really know what the hell plush really is but the xcl/dhx air 5/talas combo seemed pretty damn...ummm... plush! and now i get the "inspires confidence" thing... no bs there. the first time i went down the 1 fun dh i took it slow-ish as i probably did on my ht... so i turned around, came back down, didnt touch the brakes until a huge berm at the bottom and havent stopped smiling since!!! craziness... stay in the seat, lean, and dont brake.... what a novel concept.

lastly... im not sure why the hell i was convinced for so long that a xc bike puts you in a great body position to climb... BS!!... for me anyway, the more upright (chest open and lungs more stretched out, back much happier as well) is way more comfy. i thought it was gonna take me awhile to get used to climbing this thing... well, it took some time...about 30 seconds.

ive been missing out.

the line-up...

large xcl
    candy red (right?!?... raspberry sounds so much cooler though!)
    fork- 32 talas rlc
    shock- dhx air 5
    wheelset- dt swiss 455 rims, dt hubs (cant remember... im not going downstairs), hope skewers
    brakes- juicy 7
    shifters- x9
    fd-xtr
    rd- x0
    cassette/chain- sram
    cranks/bb- fsa afterburner
    pedals- cb candy
    headset- hope
    stem- hope
    bars- truvativ hussefelt dh (more beefiness... love it)
    grips- lizard skin north shore lock-ons
    seat (saddles are for horses)- wtb rocket v
    post- beefiest thompson elite i have ever seen
    clamp- hope qr
    2.75 year-old future ripper- emma
    angry guard dogs- gus (lab), doodies (navajo)

and the pics...

Last edited by happy_ending; 06-01-2007 at 12:22 AM.

shred my gnar
    oh and much thanks to jason and the guys at chumba for putting together this bad mamojamo... cant say i would change anything... (yet)...

more pics...

how about that top tube beef!

Apr 2007
    That is one beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Nice build! I REALLY like those cranks, I haven't seen them before, but I might just have to get some as I'm going all silver/polished aluminum on my black Evo frame.
    That's one of the best looking XCL's I've seen, the red really sets it off, congrats on a sic bike!

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Sweeeeeeeeeet! Thanks for the pics and the ride report.

This just makes the wait for mine worse...

nerfherder
    SOOOoooo many great pictures. Well done on the build.

shred my gnar
    yeah... i love those cranks myself... they actually have kind-of a gunmetal-ish finish which closely matches all the hope stuff (which is called gunsmoke or pewter, i think)... hard to see that in the bright sun of those pics... more obvious in the garage i guess.

im getting it out for a much longer ride sunday with a big (2-3 hour-ish) climb and some ripping dh... much more tech... lots of rocks and speed. i didnt really get the shock dialed in yet as i didnt want to stop to screw around with it last night... i was just having too much fun to stop. one thing i did notice is that, for whatever reason, there wasnt much need to dial the propedal onto a really firm setting to climb... i just kept it in the middle the whole time and it felt fine to me... ill see how that goes on sunday.

my only concern (and its a small one) is that when i was really railing into turns, my calf would rest on the chainstay (as they are MUCH bigger than my old bike's) as i would drop my outside crank and lean over the bike to the inside of the turn... by the end of the ride i was pretty much used to it, though. it almost felt like i was getting additional stability.

and the mutano raptors arent gonna work in the super dry, dusty and loose conditions we have around here right now... after monsoon season they will be great though... gonna have to go with the weirwolf 2.5 up front for the time being!

again... all thanks for this absolutely bad-ass build goes to jason, alan and whomever else over at chumba... and of course to ted for designing such a sick frame!!!!

nerfherder
    You should get that rear triangle anodized the same gunmetal color. That'd be hawt.

mtbr member
    I didn't see that shot in the garage, those are kind of gunmetal grey, aren't they? I wonder if they do those in a more silvery finish? I like the smooth lines on 'em.
    I like scruffy's idea about the anodized rear end, that would be super smooth, but I'm sure you're tired thinking and just want to ride!

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    You should get that rear triangle anodized the same gunmetal color. That'd be hawt.
    maybe someday... but by then i have a feeling there may be a 2011 evo in my garage as well!

mtbr member

Beautiful bike, and beautiful child.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Beautiful bike, and beautiful child.
    Yes, I second both of those. By the way, are you sure thats not a medium ?
    I have a large, and it has the seat tube/top tube strut about twice as long as yours.
    It goes about half the length of the top tube. Yours is about half as long, although I have
    the Taiwanese made frame, I dont know if that makes any difference.t

shred my gnar
    as far as i know its a large... check that "gusset"/tube with the orange medium xcl posted recently and mine... not sure what to tell ya. i noticed that longer tube on another large frame when i was shopping and wondered the same thing...

its got a 23.5-ish top tube or 24" effective top tube so...

VS

Jun 2007
    Nice ride Happy!
    I really dig the color... you got it hooked up!

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike happy ending!
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one myself and am wondering if anyone has seen both the US and overseas frames. The rear triangle is polished on happy ending's US version. Do all US frames come this way? I also notice that the headbadge appears to be bolted or riveted on, on the Taiwanese version, and glued to the head tube on the US version.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    dave

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    My XCL is the imported version. The rear triangle is the same color as the rest of the frame, in my case "XTR gray". I'm not able to find any workmanship issues with the frame.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    Beautiful bike happy ending!
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one myself and am wondering if anyone has seen both the US and overseas frames. The rear triangle is polished on happy ending's US version. Do all US frames come this way? I also notice that the headbadge appears to be bolted or riveted on, on the Taiwanese version, and glued to the head tube on the US version.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    dave
    I believe you can order either rear triangle for your bike, regardless of where it is made.

And from what I've seen so far (pictures of US made vs my outsourced frame), the welds appear to be as good if not better on the outsourced frames vs the US made.

I would not hesitate to recommend the outsourced (Taiwan) frame to anyone looking at the XCL. It rides great and is top notch quality.

mtbr member

I believe you can order either rear triangle for your bike, regardless of where it is made.

And from what I've seen so far (pictures of US made vs my outsourced frame), the welds appear to be as good if not better on the outsourced frames vs the US made.

I would not hesitate to recommend the outsourced (Taiwan) frame to anyone looking at the XCL. It rides great and is top notch quality.
    Agreed! I ride a black ano imported XCL as well, and think that there are some features that are nicer than the US frames, like the custom mount for the E-type derailleur, the finish, and the weld quality, hence, our decision to outsource.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Agreed! I ride a black ano imported XCL as well, and think that there are some features that are nicer than the US frames, like the custom mount for the E-type derailleur, the finish, and the weld quality, hence, our decision to outsource.
    Yup, nuthin' but a bunch of dope smokin' morons in the Anaheim facility.

mtbr member

Yup, nuthin' but a bunch of dope smokin' morons in the Anaheim facility.
    ha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey Alan, This XCL has a nice red on it. You should offer it for the Taiwan made ones.

mtbr member

Thanks for that, I share your opinion on the welds.
    I've decided to go with the Taiwanese frame in ano Black.
    Now I just have to find the best deal.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that Red Candy Chrome that is on the EVO's should be offered on the XCL. It looks great. My buddy just got the Ano Grey, and everyone around here wants to ride it. He gets more love than the guys with Ellsworths and Transitions. Plan on ordering my own soon.

I'm living the dream!
    That's one of the best looking bikes I think I've ever seen.

I have a grey XCL on the way. Where did you get all your Hope bits from? I've seen parts available here and there but I can't seem to find all the right colors or sizes. Particularly the seatpost Q/R.

Members who have read this thread: 0