IF or Soul Craft?- Mtbr.com
    stealy

IF or Soul Craft?

Hi im after a custom steel hardtail for racing. I've narrowed it down to IF or Soul Craft i would be gratful for any ideas or advice.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I talked to Soulcraft last week about a single speed and they quoted me a 3 month wait ...

Mar 2005

IF or Soulcraft

I ordered a IF 29" steel singlespeed and was also told that it was a 3 month wait although my LBS said that it may arrive sooner because the slow season is upon them. I sure hope that it does. Good luck with whichever bike you get .

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    I waited three months for a retrotec. I think that's a prety standard wait time for custom steel. there were people that waited upwards of a year or more for a matt chester, when he was still building. I think the wait for a Jones is well over a year. call sacha white at vanilla and ask him what his wait is....three months passes pretty quickly, especially this time of year.

anyways, back to your question. where do you live? close enough to pick one of the bikes up at the shop? that's a pretty cool experience. are you trying to base your choice on differences between the bikes themselves? both will be of very high quality. I've never met the IF guys but Sean Walling is a good guy and builds beautiful bikes and is certainly deserving of your cash. IF is definitely a bigger operation that soulcraft.

guess that's probably not too much help. good luck....you really can't go wrong in this situation. either builder should be able to make you a bike you'll be really happy with....

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahb
    call sacha white at vanilla and ask him what his wait is...
    Lonnnnnggg...just a tad under 2 yrs wait if you order today.

MSH

BTW - if it were me choosing between IF and SC...no doubt..Soulcraft (but I'm in the SF Bay, so I'm partial to the West Side

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    Lonnnnnggg...just a tad under 2 yrs wait if you order today.

MSH

BTW - if it were me choosing between IF and SC...no doubt..Soulcraft (but I'm in the SF Bay, so I'm partial to the West Side
    +1 for soulcraft. I think I'd stop by white industries for some hubs and maybe drive across town to the US offices for formula brake, as long as I was in petaluma. man, starting to sound like a pretty sweet bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My third Soulcraft should be ready for me this month sometime, so I guess you can figure which vote I cast. Incredible bikes, not that IF wouldn't be great too.

I have a 5-6 year old Plowboy that is still my off road bike of choice. I liked it so much I had them build my roadie which I have 3 seasons on now. And now another Plowboy, this one custom (though very close to my current one) and for discs. I can't recommend Soulcraft enough!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Another vote for Soulcraft. Both are fantastic rides, but I feel the the Souldcraft is more responsive, particularly when climbing.

I bought a Steel Deluxe and love it, but always wondered, and then finally bought an Option 3 and haven't regretted it for a moment.

stealy
    Cheers for all the info SoulCraft sound cool but is't just the wait but i guess there worth waiting for.

May 2006
    Both are going to be awesome rides, and yes, the wait will be tough! =)

It's always greener
    The Soulcraft, at least in 29er form, is a decidedly racing oriented ride...though I thrive riding it as my only rig. Amazing.

Members who have read this thread: 0