IF riders and seatpost shims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

IF riders and seatpost shims

how many IF dewds are shimming their seattubes to move away from this oddball 29.4 sizing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    how many IF dewds are shimming their seattubes to move away from this oddball 29.4 sizing?
    I've got a Thomson 29.4 seatpost, so I haven't found a need to shim it.

mtbr member
    I've got a cheap Kalloy 29.4. Always meant to replace it with something fancy, but never got around to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    actually i meant to say- is anyone using any NON 29.4 post on their IFs ala a shim and lets say........a carbon 27.2 easton or such?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    actually i meant to say- is anyone using any NON 29.4 post on their IFs ala a shim and lets say........a carbon 27.2 easton or such?
    I have a buddy who runs a Thudbuster ST on his IF, I can only assume he's using shims since they don't make a 29.4. It seems to work just fine if thats what you're wondering.

I took a look over at ifrider and there are clearly some people who are using smaller diameter posts. Here's a couple examples... If you look close you can see the shim on the orange bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

'97 Deluxe- always been shimmed

I use to run a Syncros Ti post- 27.0 with a shim. For the last couple of years, I've been running a Thudbuster 27.2 with a shim. A 29.4 post, especially aluminum would be harsh on my old timers back. It's not a bad way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I.F. Shims

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggy
    I use to run a Syncros Ti post- 27.0 with a shim. For the last couple of years, I've been running a Thudbuster 27.2 with a shim. A 29.4 post, especially aluminum would be harsh on my old timers back. It's not a bad way to go.
    I use a shim to use a Dean ti seat post for resilience. Alternately I use a U.S.E. suspension seatpost which works so well I don't know it or many of the bumps are there.
    WYATT

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt
    I use a shim to use a Dean ti seat post for resilience. Alternately I use a U.S.E. suspension seatpost which works so well I don't know it or many of the bumps are there.
    I'm switching to thudbuster from a thomson. Where can I get a shim for the IF online to go from 27.2 to 29.4. thanks james

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fdny4783
    I'm switching to thudbuster from a thomson. Where can I get a shim for the IF online to go from 27.2 to 29.4. thanks james

You should be able to get it from Cane Creek. Try their website.
    WYATT

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt
    You should be able to get it from Cane Creek. Try their website.
    Wyatt, Thanks again for your help. I found it on Cane Creeks site. And I ordered that Zoke mx comp 85mm. Cannot wait to see hoew the IF rides going from a Thomson, and a Manitou Mars Super. To a thudbuster and the Zoke. Also switching to discs ( Avid BB7 ).
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Quote Originally Posted by fdny4783
    Wyatt, Thanks again for your help. I found it on Cane Creeks site. And I ordered that Zoke mx comp 85mm. Cannot wait to see hoew the IF rides going from a Thomson, and a Manitou Mars Super. To a thudbuster and the Zoke. Also switching to discs ( Avid BB7 ).
    Thanks again.
    That bike will rip. The Zoke will be all over the Manitou. It should feel torsionally more rigid and seem to have more usable travel. In the words of my buddy the Thudbuster lets you ride over all kinds of things and stay seated. I keep thinking about getting one. The discs are a revelation needed to keep yur new speed in control. You are going to have fun.

Send me a private message and say how you like these things. Thanks.
    WYATT

mtbr member

Use

I'm running a USE shim so that I can have a set-back Thomson post on my 2004 Deluxe SS - they don't do a 29.4 set-back post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Also using a USE shim to run a 27.2 Moots post with setback. Got the shim from the boys at Speedgoat.

Members who have read this thread: 0