IF Riders?- Mtbr.com

Thread: IF Riders?

Sep 2005

IF Riders?

Thinking of swaping out my Mars Super (85mm) For a Marzocchi Mx Pro (105mm).Anybody running this kinda travel up front on the steel deluxe? I live in ny but my favorite riding is ringwood nj. Mostly rocks and roots.

Thanks for the help.
    Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fdny4783
    Thinking of swaping out my Mars Super (85mm) For a Marzocchi Mx Pro (105mm).Anybody running this kinda travel up front on the steel deluxe? I live in ny but my favorite riding is ringwood nj. Mostly rocks and roots.

Thanks for the help.
    Jim

I have a Steel Deluxe with an 80mm travel RS SID Race. I would never put a 100mm + fork on that bike without a return option or the ability to borrow it from someone. It will slacken the head angle .5 degree but it also changes the rake of the fork. I found over years of owning Fat Chance Yo! Eddy's, from whence the Deluxe comes, that it really hurts the quick handling. The only possbile saving grace is that the Deluxe has a 71.5 head angle so slackening it to 71 might not be as bad as if it started at 71, or 70.5 degrees like many bikes. Remember that the Deluxe was designed for the axle-crown length of a Rock Shox and all Zokies are @5-8 mm longer so you are already slightly raised. You'd be best to call I.F. and then check axle-crown lengths. It may be a RS Reba set at 100mm is not so much longer that your 85mm Zoke.
    WYATT

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    P.S. I see you have a Manitou now, not a Zoke. Changing to a 105mm Zoke will be a huge change since, as mentioned, the Zoke axle-crown is longer than both Manitou and RS. A Reba is much more logical, esp. if it is adjustable. A fork adjustable from 90- 100 would be ideal (of course the range would come greater than that).
    WYATT

Sep 2005
    Thanks Bro, I think I'm going to go with the Zoke MX 85 mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fdny4783
    Thanks Bro, I think I'm going to go with the Zoke MX 85 mm.

That's a great choice. I love how Zokes feel and function, their rigidity and their reliability. You just have to watch the extra length. Actually any 100 mm fork would slacken the I.F. to a point where I think you would be disappointed. So I think you will be really happy with that choice. Have fun!
    WYATT

Members who have read this thread: 0