I think I got the last 19" Zion 660- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

I think I got the last 19" Zion 660

When I noticed the price had dropped to 179, I couldn't resist any longer. I had to have one. I snagged a black 19" 660 gearie frame (and the big brown truck brought it today!) and am presently in process of building it as budget and parts shipments allow. I checked the next day and Jenson no longer listed it on their site.

One question I have is should I have the headtube and bb tube faced before buildup? It seems smooth and square, plus I can easily pop a precision hobby square across it to make sure, but should I get the shop to face it anyway?

Planned build:

Manitou Axel Elite fork (high on the hitlist for replacement though)
    WTB PureV saddle
    Ritchey Pro stem/bar/post, WCS foam grips
    Ritchey Pro cranks
    Sram X9 rear der, X7 shifters, Shimano XTR front der.
    Avid BBDB brakes / SD7 levers
    Alexrims TD17 rims / Formula hubs (Also high on the replacement hitlist)
    Conti Explorer 2.1 tires

Pics will follow as progress is made. Right now I've about got my old bike stripped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
    When I noticed the price had dropped to 179, I couldn't resist any longer. I had to have one. I snagged a black 19" 660 gearie frame (and the big brown truck brought it today!) and am presently in process of building it as budget and parts shipments allow. I checked the next day and Jenson no longer listed it on their site.

One question I have is should I have the headtube and bb tube faced before buildup? It seems smooth and square, plus I can easily pop a precision hobby square across it to make sure, but should I get the shop to face it anyway?

Planned build:

Manitou Axel Elite fork (high on the hitlist for replacement though)
    WTB PureV saddle
    Ritchey Pro stem/bar/post, WCS foam grips
    Ritchey Pro cranks
    Sram X9 rear der, X7 shifters, Shimano XTR front der.
    Avid BBDB brakes / SD7 levers
    Alexrims TD17 rims / Formula hubs (Also high on the replacement hitlist)
    Conti Explorer 2.1 tires

Pics will follow as progress is made. Right now I've about got my old bike stripped.

The price just dropped to 145$ (Ships tomorrow)... I'm still glad I got one.

mtbr member
    Heck at $145 I am thinking about picking up number two

mtbr member
    yeah me too, I wouldn't mind having a EBB. But then I think well what if the new frames address some of the current issues with the 660? Like if it has fatter chain stays I'm gonna want one of those bad boys!

Feb 2004
    Well, I ended up getting mine for $145 via price-matching refund (Jenson rocks!). Damn fine bargain, I thinks. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get the headset from my other bike swapped into this one, then I can finish the build.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Good deal. I got my 19" right around New Year's and it's about 90% built. For the price there is nothing that can touch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Feb 2004
    Finished the build and went for a quick shakedown ride.

Boy, am I ever out of shape from not having ridden in about a year and a half...

Pics here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...79#post4166479

mtbr member
    I went to go buy a 19" 660 non EBB, but they are gone I really didn't want to build another SS up, but I might just order the 660EBB..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am looking at purchasing one of these frames from Jenson for either a Single Speed build up or just a regular hardtail buildup, since my only bike right now is a Santa Cruz Blur LT (which I love), but I miss the hardtail action and this Zion looks like a steal.

I understand the 660 is for a geared build and the 660 EBB is for a single speed build, but could I just order a 660 and use it for a single speed build if I wanted and still have the option of going geared?

What are the main differences between the 660 and the 660 EBB?

Are there any issues with this frame that I should be aware of?

mtbr member
    the ebb nuts have a tendency to crack on some of the frames.

the drops on the ebb do not allow a derailler hanger.

the straight 660 could employ a tensioner, half-link, or sweet spot gearing to make it ss.

i have the 660ebb with the newer, sturdier hardware, and i love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    I am looking at purchasing one of these frames from Jenson for either a Single Speed build up or just a regular hardtail buildup, since my only bike right now is a Santa Cruz Blur LT (which I love), but I miss the hardtail action and this Zion looks like a steal.

I understand the 660 is for a geared build and the 660 EBB is for a single speed build, but could I just order a 660 and use it for a single speed build if I wanted and still have the option of going geared?

What are the main differences between the 660 and the 660 EBB?

Are there any issues with this frame that I should be aware of?
    Jenson doesn't have any 660's left and only the 21" EBB. No word on whether they will be replacing them with something else. Might be able to find one on ebay. --Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0