I know its just a cheap frame but...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I know its just a cheap frame but...

I started putting my SS 660EBB together this weekend.

Ok, so I only paid $249 for it, and it is only made in Taiwan.

I bought it to use my otherwise redundant 26" parts on a "vacation" bike for when I visit family in AZ.

I've already got a SS 737EBB which has the huge mother of EBB grub bolts. Things are different on the 660EBB, small little 4mm allen grub bolts instead.

So I tightened up the first one, everything OK. I'm not stupid when it comes to putting a bike together myself. I've done it ever since I was a teenager. I do all my own maintenance, even fork services, where availability of special tools allow etc

So I go and tighten up the second bolt and...crack!

Given that these littler grub bolts are only biting into an aluminium EBB I'm a bit surprised that the threaded weldolet cracked off the frame.

Anyone think this is grounds for returning it as faulty?

It hasn't even been ridden yet of course. (The dirt on the crank etc is from its use on the donor bike.)

I got in touch with Jenson and they asked for a picture of the damage.

Got this peach of a response back

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for the pictures. Please send pictures of the defective frame completely unreadable [sic]. Can you saw the head tube off or something like this. Once you send a new picture with the frame unridable I will send you a new frame. Is the shipping address on the account still the same?

Thanks for writing!

So its only a fault worth talking about if the frame falls apart?

Of course maybe the faulty workmanship only extends to the EBB, maybe the rest of the bike will be fine eh.

[I've taken the guys details off as he's tried to get hold of me while I've been out this afternoon...]
    Last edited by unclenorm; 02-04-2008 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    That same thing happened to someone else here on the forums and Jenson replaced the frame promptly.

Anyway, I think you misread the dudes email. He acknowledged the frame was defective. So he's asking that you destroy the frame so it can never be ridden again (because it is "defective" and they don't want you to get hurt riding a broke a$$ frame right?). Once you destroy or render it "unridable" and send them pics of it cut up, they will mail the new frame to you. Of course you could always mail the thing back and waste more time and money then what it would take for you to just cut the head tube off and email the guy a picture. Shoot he could have had it in the mail to you by now, but you wasted time posting this.
    Last edited by marks_bike; 02-04-2008 at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    That same thing happened to someone else here ion the forums. And Jenson replaced the frame promptly.

Anyway, I think you misread the dudes email. He acknowledged the frame was defective. So he's asking that you destroy the frame so it can never be riden again (because it is "defective" and they don't want you to get hurt riding a broke a$$ frame right?). Once you destroy or render it "unridable" and send them pics of it cut up, they will mail the new frame to you. Of course you could always mail the thing back and waste more time and money then what it would take for you to just cut the head tube off and email the guy a picture. Shoot he could have had it in the mail to you by now, but you wasted time posting this.
    Are you serious? Was he really being serious about cutting the frame up?

I guess I could have just took him at his word and chopped it for a better picture...and then been rather gutted when finding out he WAS only being sarcastic

If he was serious he could have just got on the phone to my cell and "explained' his cunning plan

What if I photoshopped the picture? Kind of "removed" a piece of the BB with my mouse? Would that do?

mtbr member
    Looks like their is a phone number next to the guys signature, even has his extension. I would try giving that a call to make sure you fully understand what he wants you to do, before you go hacking your frame up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    it is common for the manufacturer to ask you to cut up the frame. that is to make sure that no one else can ride the frame and try and hold them liable in a lawsuit. hell i had to have my hifi carbon warrantied and trek had me cut the frame up. hell that was almost as fun as riding the bike. but, seriously at our shop manufacturers have us do that all the time if they dont want the bike back. you should be fine.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ratboy
    it is common for the manufacturer to ask you to cut up the frame. that is to make sure that no one else can ride the frame and try and hold them liable in a lawsuit. hell i had to have my hifi carbon warrantied and trek had me cut the frame up. hell that was almost as fun as riding the bike. but, seriously at our shop manufacturers have us do that all the time if they dont want the bike back. you should be fine.
    I worked at a shop last summer, and i do recall that we were not supposed to keep the damaged frame as is, so that we don't try to pass it on to a customer. Some saw bolt cutters, some saw various other forms of beatings...
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Right, OK it turns out I was not on the right wavelength at all on this one

Having left a voicemail with the guy at Jenson he called me back this morning.

There's a new frame waiting to be dispatched, as long as I send a picture of an unrideable frame first. [The newer frames have the more bulky EBB grub bolts a la my 737EBB]

I also have the option of a refund but this also needs me to trash the frame.

So I'm off to remove my headset first and then choose my weapon of frame destruction and get a picture off to Jenson before 3pm this afternoon.

Sorry to go off on one so quickly but I seriously thought the guy was being sarcastic over such a small failure. D'oh!

I guess I should post my initial repy email to him...he must have been thinking "What's this freak on?!" LOL!

Cheers guys

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenorm

So I'm off to remove my headset first and then choose my weapon of frame destruction and get a picture off to Jenson before 3pm this afternoon.
    Cheers guys
    Post the picture of the frame here too, after using your "weapon of choice."
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ok...a final update.

At first I tried a mallet but in fairness the frame was pretty strong.

Given the time restraint to get a picture off to Jenson I resorted to a hack saw and cut the head set off neatly - a little something to remember it by

Jenson were brilliant, within 24 hours of sending the picture, the frame had arrived

It turns out that the type of EBB bolts I had on the first frame were the older type and the newer frames have the more bulky bolts.

Within an hour the bike was built and rides great

Many thanks to Joey Claro @ Jenson.

Thanks also to the LBS AZ Cyclery for removing my crank arms for nothing too

Apr 2007

Great - and don't over-tighten next time...

Hi unclenorm,

I am glad to see that the issues with your ZION got resolved so quickly.

You may also consider these hand-on-assembly hints useful; as it is just so easy to over-tighten the EBB-bolts.

Jenson really cannot blame the average hobbyist mechanic; as there simply is no assembly guide - which I find really poor...

See the link here

Cheers,

Der Schlappmacher
    Last edited by schlappmacher; 03-03-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0