Hypothetical: Suppose you bought an XCL today...- Mtbr.com
    nerfherder

Hypothetical: Suppose you bought an XCL today...

Would you get a DHX-A or an RP23? All other things, like price, being equal. And why?

I'll throw my answer in after a few responses but I'm curious as to what ya'll would say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would get the RP23 and probably will for a couple reasons:
    1. Its lighter (1/2lb)
    2. I dont really want to mess with all the adjustments of the DHX
    3. The RP has excellent reviews
    4. I dont need anything really heavy duty.

Apr 2007
    I'm curious also.

Jul 2006
    DHX

I have ridden both and although the DHX does take quite a bit of time to setup the end result is much better. I like the far more linear feel of the DHX where the RP23 seems to ramp up at the end of the compression cycle. Worth the half a pound + $ + hassle for the performance gain to me

Trophy Husband
    I would take the Roco air over both. Simple. No constipated platform. I'm a Marz fanboy.

That being said, I'd love to have the 08 DHX air with the 2 way propedal switch. All the adjustments and an on/off. That shock really excites me.

I own 2 DHX airs. I like the way they ride, but they are uber adjustable and I'm lazy. I like to set it and forget it. I'd rather think about the line I'm going to take...or why my a$$ is getting so big.
    Extreme stationary biker.

eci
    dhx, im not skinny

shred my gnar
    being that i just purchased one (xcl)...

i gave this a bit of consideration... actually, i was more in the dhx air vs coil consideration... i have a few buddies ride or have ridden both the rp23 and rp3 and all have had problems ranging from the "stuck down" issue to bottoming out too frequently (and these guys are much smaller than me, by about 20-40lbs).

and looking at the reviews on this site, neither has gotten a whole helluva lot of good reviews but there arent many for the 07 dhx air 4 or 5... tons for the rp23 & 3.

on the weight... 0.5 lbs means very little to me or else i probably wouldnt have bought a xcl in the first place...

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    being that i just purchased one (xcl)...
    Welcome to the club.

Post some pics!

shred my gnar
    see the "im in" thread... mucho pics.

Trophy Husband
    see the "im in" thread... mucho pics.
    Ah yes, the pretty red one. Now I remember why I don't like you.

nerfherder
    Okay, I know there are more Chumba lurkers out there... more opinions welcome.

My reason for asking: In my limited experience with the DHXA I have found that it sometimes works great and sometimes not so much. I think it's because of the extra tuning features and that just makes it more confusing to get things right. I'm not a total dimwit... I can set the sag right, adjust the rebound, but after that, I'm sort of a set it and forget it type. I don't really want to have to tinker with it. I find the boost and bottom out stuff confusing. That might just be me but I suspect there are others out there that feel the same.

So because of that, I'd prefer the RP23. This is a shock that's easy to set up and feels great. I've ridden the RP3 and 23 and have loved em.

On top of that there have been many complaints by mtbr members that the DHXA has no midstroke support. I find that, even with the sag set properly, I blow through the travel pretty easily on fairly mild trails. This could be due to the fact that I don't have the boost and bottom out set up right. I just ball parked it at 100PSI and a couple turns from minimum since I only weigh 160 kitted out.

Anyways, I've got an RP23 in hand now and I intend to do some back to back testing of the XCL with both shocks.

mtbr member
    Dhx air. I have a Push'd Factory Float here at the house that fits the XCL. The dhx would give me a plush second option.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    Dhx air. I have a Push'd Factory Float here at the house that fits the XCL. The dhx would give me a plush second option.
    Arg, didn't take that into consideration. What if you didn't have that lying around? No extra shocks at home at all. What would you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Arg, didn't take that into consideration. What if you didn't have that lying around? No extra shocks at home at all. What would you get?

RP23. I think the dhx is a bit of overkill for me. Even for small drops and jumps. I have a lot of climbing to cover this year.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Okay, I know there are more Chumba lurkers out there... more opinions welcome.

My reason for asking: In my limited experience with the DHXA I have found that it sometimes works great and sometimes not so much. I think it's because of the extra tuning features and that just makes it more confusing to get things right. I'm not a total dimwit... I can set the sag right, adjust the rebound, but after that, I'm sort of a set it and forget it type. I don't really want to have to tinker with it. I find the boost and bottom out stuff confusing. That might just be me but I suspect there are others out there that feel the same.

So because of that, I'd prefer the RP23. This is a shock that's easy to set up and feels great. I've ridden the RP3 and 23 and have loved em.

On top of that there have been many complaints by mtbr members that the DHXA has no midstroke support. I find that, even with the sag set properly, I blow through the travel pretty easily on fairly mild trails. This could be due to the fact that I don't have the boost and bottom out set up right. I just ball parked it at 100PSI and a couple turns from minimum since I only weigh 160 kitted out.

Anyways, I've got an RP23 in hand now and I intend to do some back to back testing of the XCL with both shocks.

I'm with you, scruffy. I'm also a set-it-forget-guy. I got my frame before they offered it with
    the rp23, but was convinced by other posts on the shock forum that for this bike, the
    DHX was the way to go because of the added adjustability, whereas with the rp3 you get
    3 preset levels of propedal, or 4 in the case of the rp23. So if you like to fine tune your
    shock for your riding style, perhaps the DHX is not a bad choice, although I have yet to ride it. I'm sure it will take a while to figure out. (It doesnt help that no manuals came with the bike)

American Made!
    I've spread my wings, or went for gears and squish and went with a medium XCL in orange, 2008 RP23 and 2008 Talas...it kills!!
    I built it last night, hit Oaks this morning for a couple laps before work, absolutely loved it!
    Once it is cleaned up I will post up some pix and all the bling parts tonite.
    Glad to join the Chumba Family, thanks Alan!!
    What is thy bidding, my master.

nerfherder
    Can't wait for the pictures. I guess for you it's not hypothetical.

(Send the fleet to the far side of Endor. There it will stay until called for.)

Surfing trails
    One thing to keep in mind if you plan to have your EVO or XCL air shock "PUSH'd" - PUSH will tweak and upgrade an RP23 but they don't offer anything for a DHX Air and don't plan to offer anything for it. However, PUSH will be offering a tweaking service for the ROCO Air in a few weeks. I found this out today. Long live fully active suspension!

Do It Yourself
    MYTHBUSTERS:
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberjad
    I like the far more linear feel of the DHX where the RP23 seems to ramp up at the end of the compression cycle.
    It really depends on which air sleeve is used. Did you compared both with the same air sleeve on the same bike? The high volume air sleeve is normal for the DHX-A which would give it different compression ratios thus a different spring rate from the smaller air sleeve that is normally found on the RP23.

It seems Chumba has gone with the smaller air can on the DHX-A so I don't think there would be any significant difference in spring rate over an RP23. Larger vs. smaller isn't not a better or worse situation. It's more about using the right tool for the job. It really depends on the frame design, the rider weight, and riding style as to which is more appropriate. I'm sure Chumba calculated and through real world testing decided the small can was the way to go for an average rider on the XCL.

Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    dhx, im not skinny
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    RP23. I think the dhx is a bit of overkill for me. Even for small drops and jumps. I have a lot of climbing to cover this year.
    The DHX-A is not any more "heavy duty" than the RP23. The RP23 is OEM spec on a number of longer travel bikes like the SC Nomad and Intense 6.6 with plenty of big guys riding them. I don't think rider weight or perceived durability has any real bearing on the decision. Both are air shocks with the same seals from the same manufacturer.

i have a few buddies ride or have ridden both the rp23 and rp3 and all have had problems ranging from the "stuck down" issue to bottoming out too frequently (and these guys are much smaller than me, by about 20-40lbs).
    The stuck down issue was a bad batch of seals that affect ALL of the Fox air shocks including the DHX-A.

OVERALL: The RP23 and DHX-A have different adjustments. Pick the one that has the adjustments you want.

I would go with the RP23. It has the ability to turn the ProPedal completely "OFF", not just "light" ProPedal. I probably wouldn't wouldn't use the bottom out adjustment on the DHX-A (especially what a hassle it is to set with different pressures). The RP23 is also PUSH'able where the DHX-A is not. I think a custom tuned shock from PUSH is ideal because then it's set it and forget it. Let the experts take care of all the adjustments and you can just pump it up and ride.

And lastly, there is that extra 1/2 pound. The XCL is already a tank and doesn't need any extra unnecessary bulk. As long as it doesn't ride poorly, the RP23 would be in Chumba's best interest from a marketing standpoint since the XCL frames are already almost a pound heavier than other bikes in this travel range.
    Long Live Long Rides

nerfherder
    Homebrew - one note: for 08, the DHX air has the PP on/off switch like the RP23. I don't think it changes your conclusions but I thought I'd just clarify that.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    MYTHBUSTERS:

The DHX-A is not any more "heavy duty" than the RP23. The RP23 is OEM spec on a number of longer travel bikes like the SC Nomad and Intense 6.6 with plenty of big guys riding them. I don't think rider weight or perceived durability has any real bearing on the decision. Both are air shocks with the same seals from the same manufacturer.
    Myth unbusters:
    The dhx a has an external resivior(sp?) By adding an outside circuit the shock can be more controlled in most(not all) situations.

Do It Yourself
    Homebrew - one note: for 08, the DHX air has the PP on/off switch like the RP23. I don't think it changes your conclusions but I thought I'd just clarify that.
    My reading of the Fox site said "light" to "full" ProPedal, which would be more like the RP3 without the middle position.
    Long Live Long Rides

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Myth unbusters:
    The dhx a has an external resivior(sp?) By adding an outside circuit the shock can be more controlled in most(not all) situations.
    The external reservoir is for the boost circuit feature which adds bottom out adjustment but doesn't necessarily give more controlled ride. If you want more control in all situations, you send the shock to PUSH.
    Long Live Long Rides

nerfherder
    My reading of the Fox site said "light" to "full" ProPedal, which would be more like the RP3 without the middle position.
    My mistake. I just assumed it would be on off like the RP23. Okay, I'm sort of bummed. I would rather have an on/off over a light/full.

American Made!
    Here she is!!

driveside.jpg

drivetrain.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

2008 Talas, Stans Olympic ZTR Rims, Ringle Flea Hubs, Kenda Small Blocks, Race Face Carbon Riser Bars, Avid Ultimate Brakes, King Headset, Thomson Stem, Thomson Masterpiece post, FSA Carbon K-Force cranks, X0 shifters, X0 rear der, XT front der, Sram 991 cassette, Fizik Arione saddle, Oury Lock on grips and Time ATAC carbon pedals...whew!!
    All built up weighs in at 27lbs, 4oz!
    It rocks and man are gears a great idea!!
    Heading to D-Ville in about 8 hours, this rig should be perfect!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde
    Here she is!!

2008 Talas, Stans Olympic ZTR Rims, Ringle Flea Hubs, Kenda Small Blocks, Race Face Carbon Riser Bars, Avid Ultimate Brakes, King Headset, Thomson Stem, Thomson Masterpiece post, FSA Carbon K-Force cranks, X0 shifters, X0 rear der, XT front der, Sram 991 cassette, Fizik Arione saddle, Oury Lock on grips and Time ATAC carbon pedals...whew!!
    All built up weighs in at 27lbs, 4oz!
    It rocks and man are gears a great idea!!
    Heading to D-Ville in about 8 hours, this rig should be perfect!
    OMFG! That is a drop dead sexy bike!

Although, those carbon cranks will likely cause that bike to spontaneously combust. (carbon + mtb = FIRE!)

Looking forward to ride reports. Any idea of HA with the 08 FOX (could you measure, please)?

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde
    Here she is!!
    Ah, did you get that on Tuesday or Weds? I think I fondled your frame before it got delivered. Alan showed me an Orange XCL with an RP23 and it was beautiful in person. While your pictures are gorgeous the paint must be seen in person and in the light to really appreciate its majesty! Yes, majesty.

Okay, that was over the top. But good score Clyde.

nerfherder
    Well, my RP23 test was short lived. The shock I got has a defective schraeder valve and blows out all the pressure when I try and disconnect the shock pump. This has never happened to me on my RP3, RP23, DHXA (3), or DHXC (boost). But this does have the new valve that comes out at an angle from the body since it's an 08 so maybe that's the source of the problem. I'm bummed. My inner nerd really wanted to go out and ride rock gardens over and over again while swapping shocks.

American Made!
    Ah, did you get that on Tuesday or Weds? I think I fondled your frame before it got delivered. Alan showed me an Orange XCL with an RP23 and it was beautiful in person. While your pictures are gorgeous the paint must be seen in person and in the light to really appreciate its majesty! Yes, majesty.

Okay, that was over the top. But good score Clyde.
    I thought I saw some fondle marks on my frame , I got it Tuesday afternoon and already have 3 rides on it.
    Thanks all for the positive feedback all and I'll let you know how D-Ville goes!
    Last edited by 1x1clyde; 06-07-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Do It Yourself
    Well, my RP23 test was short lived. The shock I got has a defective schraeder valve and blows out all the pressure when I try and disconnect the shock pump. This has never happened to me on my RP3, RP23, DHXA (3), or DHXC (boost). But this does have the new valve that comes out at an angle from the body since it's an 08 so maybe that's the source of the problem. I'm bummed. My inner nerd really wanted to go out and ride rock gardens over and over again while swapping shocks.

You might be able to tighten up the valve core and fix the problem. The valve core tool is only a couple of bucks at the auto parts store.

1x1clyde: BAD AZZ!!! Now go get her dirty!
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Roco coil not air

Quote Originally Posted by Nevegal
    One thing to keep in mind if you plan to have your EVO or XCL air shock "PUSH'd" - PUSH will tweak and upgrade an RP23 but they don't offer anything for a DHX Air and don't plan to offer anything for it. However, PUSH will be offering a tweaking service for the ROCO Air in a few weeks. I found this out today. Long live fully active suspension!
    I believe they're getting ready to PUSH only the Roco coil. Air is in the future if ever.

American Made!

1x1clyde: BAD AZZ!!! Now go get her dirty!
    Thats the plan!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Cant see the photo.

Am I the only one that cant see pics of what sounds like the sickest XCL yet?

Members who have read this thread: 0