HX2 and HX1 ride reports- Mtbr.com
    nerfherder

HX2 and HX1 ride reports

The HX2

Build Comments
    My small HX2 demo came with the SLX group including shifters, cranks, derailleurs, and brakes. The front was suspended with a 120mm Manitou Minute (standard QR). WTB Nano Raptors wrapped around a American Classic front wheel and a Stans (?) on mystery hub in the back.

I found the fork to be a scary mess. It felt flexy on hard braking and made an annoying pinging noise on rebound. This did not promote much confidence. I would have preferred a meatier front tire, too.

Frame Comments
    Neato shaped tubes. Stout looking rear end. EBB made no noise at all. The whole thing looks very well made. Exudes quality and craftsmanship. Looks very stiff.

Climbing
    It's a hardtail. My daily ride is a 6x6 AM rig. So the HX2 scrambled up my normal climbs with relative ease. Big wheels, despite the anemic tread, find traction.

Descending
    Chumba bills the HX as a 29er hardtail trail bike. Im guessing I had about a 70* HA with the 120mm fork and this felt a tad steep. Regardless, the bike still felt comfortable pointed down hill. When things get rocky you really feel the stiffness of the frame. It's got big wheels but it's not all that forgiving. But that shouldn't be a surprise. It's an aluminum hardtail.

I followed a buddy who was on a 6x6 GT Sanction down a rocky southern Cal trail called Rock-it. He was definitely faster on his AM bike. And despite what big wheel proponents say, a 29er hardtail still feels like, well, a hardtail. But, the HX2 is a capable steed, even if the fork doesn't garner much confidence, and I was able to keep my buddy in sight on the HX2. So, it's not really comfortable in choppy riding. But it's geo, big wheels, and riding position still give you the confidence to roll through the rocky stuff with decent speed.

Handling
    I don't have a lot of experience on 29ers. I've owned one other: a Redline Monocog. Both gave me pretty much the same feeling. Like I was piloting an SUV. Slow to turn. Not exactly eager to dance. I would say the HX2 doesn't really change this impression. Maybe there are other 29ers that are more nimble. Maybe it's because I'm only 5'8". But the longish wheelbase made for a nice stable platform at speed and in the rough. And, I have to say, despite all this, the front end was somewhat willing to come off the ground when you wanted it to.

Bottom Line
    A quality frame that would be fantastic on less technical, fast and flowy singletrack. The stiffness of the frame means you can really hammer the bike and it surges forward but it also means a sore back for those who aren't all that young anymore (me). I think it'd be perfect for riders looking for versatility in a frame (EBB means you can run it SS), don't have super rocky trails, and want something solid that will probably take a beating for years to come. I liked it but probably not the bike for me.

The HX1, in contrast

Sorry for the sucktastic photo. I guess I was too busy riding this bike to take glamour shots.

Build Comments
    The build for the HX1 demo I got from Chumba couldn't have been more different. There was a wonderful Fox 32 Vanilla (standard QR) adding boing to the front. Wheels were Syncros DS23s laced to Chumba branded hubs and had cool little details like fun colored spoke nipples. Those were shod with a 2.3 Nevegal in the front and a 2.4 Mutano Raptor in the back. This bike looks like it had seen a hard life and the rear wheel had just about given up as it was very out of true. No problem. I just pulled my I9 off the Nomad and threw it on for the test rides. I also immediately had problems with the FSA cranks supplied. Namely, I stripped out the soft pedal threads on one of the crank arms. Sorry Chumba! So off came the FSAs and the Gamut bash and on went my spare Saint M800 cranks. A bit overkill but it matched the 4X/General Havoc look that Chumba was going for. Rounding things out were a Gamut guide, 36t single ring, shorty stem, SLX brakes, and SLX rear derailleur.

Frame Comments
    Pretty much the same as the HX2... just miniaturized. The frame was a size small.

Climbing
    I'm not exactly a studly hammer head. I hate climbing but I'll deal with it. This was my first experience running 1x9 and it was quite a chore climbing some of our southern Cal hills but it also helped me to appreciate not having a front derailleur. It was kind of liberating. Otherwise, it's a hardtail and most hardtails climb well. This is a relatively slack one, too, with a 68.5* HA on a 140mm fork. But even with the 140mm fork I never felt like the front end was going to pop up on me.

Descending
    I hate dancing. I suck at it. But a good dance partner makes you look better and the HX1 is a mighty good dance partner. Point it down, add some turns, and this bike comes alive. Where the HX2 feels slow and plodding the HX1 feels like a Chumba: agile, nimble, and confidence inspiring. Makes you want to aim it at natural trail features and play. This bike renewed my faith in hardtails.

Handling
    I took the HX1 through one of my favorite Orange County tree lined singletrack that is known for it's combination of fast, flowy lines, sudden climbs and drops, and a couple of hairpins to keep you on your toes. And the HX1 shows its Chumba DNA and is a total ninja on trails like this. Loved it. That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Bottom Line
    This is a ridiculously fun play bike. Great for a second bike to go with your AM/Trail bike. Put a 2x9 or 3x9 on it and it'll probably be good as your only bike. It also has an EBB so you could make it an outrageously fun SS if you're the masochistic type. I'm not exactly the best dance partner but mount a rider with skill and this bike would be capable of some serious mayhem. And fun. Oh so fun.

HX1 vs HX2
    Ok, it's just my style and what I prefer. I know everyone's different. But I pick the HX1, hands down.

Disclaimer: Chumba provided both bikes for me to test and asked me to write this up. They were also really cool about me trashing one of their cranks, too. I also like their employees and have been known to do lunch with them from time to time. So consider the potential bias. At the same time, I don't own any Chumba frames at this time and am primarily riding their competitors. FWIW.

nerfherder
    Clearly, everyone loves hardtails. Haha. [/sarcasm]

mtbr member
    thanks for the report
    got my eye on a 29er and love my xcl so i figure the hx2 would be a good choice, your report is getting my trigger finger itchy!

nerfherder
    I have to say, the HX2 does not ride much like the XCL. I've owned an XCL, too. That bike definitely has the Chumba DNA - HX2 feels dif to me. Not bad, just dif. More of a take a chill ride type bike as opposed to the usual Chumba mayhem inducing aggressiveness of the other bikes of theirs that I've tried. The HX1, however, is to me, a lot like a more direct, more responsive, less forgiving XCL. It encourages you to attack.

mtbr member
    yea i was looking for a different ride so i thought the 29er would be fun on our fast and flowing single track runs. figure my xcl was bullet proof and loved their customer service so the hx2 was top of my list

nerfherder
    Just get a different fork.

mtbr member
    fox? travel?

mtbr member
    Ok, got a question for you guys with HX1 experience...

I was looking at one of these for use as a bike suited for an indoor park like Ray's up here in the Cleveland, OH area. http://www.raysmtb.com/ I was looking at the DK Xenia as it is what I have been riding there. Something of a dirt jumper...

I want the HX1 and was thinking about it, but wondered if anyone has used one for that as opposed for trail riding...

Another bike for comparison sake is the GT Ruckus or GF Mullet...

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by larrylund
    fox? travel?
    Can't really advise you there. That Manitou is my only 29er suspension experience. But the 120mm A2C felt pretty good.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dude
    Ok, got a question for you guys with HX1 experience...

I was looking at one of these for use as a bike suited for an indoor park like Ray's up here in the Cleveland, OH area. http://www.raysmtb.com/ I was looking at the DK Xenia as it is what I have been riding there. Something of a dirt jumper...

I want the HX1 and was thinking about it, but wondered if anyone has used one for that as opposed for trail riding...

Another bike for comparison sake is the GT Ruckus or GF Mullet...
    I think the HX1 would make a good trail hardtail that you can play on at Rays but if you really need a DJ bike you should probably get a DJ bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    I think the HX1 would make a good trail hardtail that you can play on at Rays but if you really need a DJ bike you should probably get a DJ bike.
    I was thinking a size small frame with low travel fork as seen on the Mullet or similar...

Don't the wheels, hubs and forks really seperate the DJ bikes from just a plain hardtail?

Members who have read this thread: 0