How does an XCL ride with a 130mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

How does an XCL ride with a 130mm fork?

Hi guys, just checking if a 130mm fork upfront on an XCL is gonna screw up its geometry since its designed for a 140mm one.

Also, am sure that a 130mm will do it no favours going down but will it improve the going up?

Am asking cos I have an 04' Marz Z1 FR SL that i was considering putting on a yet to be bought XCL frame... gotta know if I gotta set aside more $$$ for a 140mm fork as well or will the Marz Z1 do..

Thanks..
    Last edited by Tessaiga; 06-10-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Oct 2005
    It's not necessarily the travel as much as it is the Axle to Crown height. You're lucky because those older z1's before about 2006 had somewhat taller crowns and longer a2c's for the amount of travel.

You should be ok, but I don't have the a2c distance in front of me. Probably check the zoke site and see if they offer the specs and how they compare to whatever the Chumba was designed for. On the travel side, 10mm isn't huge enough to notice, and if your fork is HSCV equipped, the travel would be quite good in quality, though it could be a bit divey. Bottom out and progressivity is tunable with oil height, so midrange support can be increased. Overall, a nice fork. A bit heavy, but if you don't care, it's not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    JC, thanks for your reply... i checked the online manual and the a2c height is 518mm.. is that similar to the a2c height usd by Chumba in determining the geo of the XCL when using a 140mm fork??

By the way, the Z1 FR SL uses the ECC5 and not HSCV equipped.... is that going to make a difference??

Oct 2005
    I remember there were questions of the nature of the ECC dampers and there were differences in them based on the model. It's not going to make a difference in height, but would in performance.

As far as what the bikes are estimated on, you have to check with the Chumba site, or others on the forum.

Spin-stabilized

Just fine

Got a 1st gen Revelation(508mm a-c length) on an 09 frame. I've tried it on a few "waterfall setctions" and it rides well. Dropping the travel to 85mm is just enough to keep the front end from wandering too much on steeeep wall climbs. I do have a shortish 65mm stem on it though.

I would've put a Pike or a Fox 140 on it if I had the right front wheel though. Still looking for a light but cheapish TA front wheel/wheelset.

Although, I would take a well-damped short travel fork over a long-travel one with pesky brake-dive any day for technical steeps-->
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for all the replies... nice pic by the way... looks quite bumpy coming down... noticed that you have 2 fingers on the brakes.

Was that necessary or are you like me?? I've got too short index fingers that cant come round to gripping the levers securely enough to do one finger braking...

Spin-stabilized
    double post

Spin-stabilized

That's cheap flexy V-brakes for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Tessaiga
    Thanks for all the replies... nice pic by the way... looks quite bumpy coming down... noticed that you have 2 fingers on the brakes.

Was that necessary or are you like me?? I've got too short index fingers that cant come round to gripping the levers securely enough to do one finger braking...

It's steep, bumpy and the line isn't a straight shot down (dodge tree limb at the top, dodge boulder just past tree, veer right to line up for the run out) so it warranted a slower ride down. That's just the upper 5th or so of the whole chute. It gets steeper and rutted but less rocky further down. I needed both fingers on both levers to roll it in a controlled fashion with the crappy V-brakes on my hardtail. I can't wait to test the XCL out on that same trail though. I can probably ride it faster now.

In general though, I'm more of a slow rider, both up and down. I love the gnar but don't "pin it" on the fast trails That's why I gave up on racing.

Members who have read this thread: 0