His welder up and running?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

His welder up and running?

In search of another Bysickel....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Track Junkie
    I've never seen that top-tube cable holder before. Pretty rad. How do you take it apart?

-B
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    there are two tiny screws which hold down the stainless steel pieces(i think they are a 1 or 1.5 allen) I really want to get a few pieces of leather to swap out the stainless which is nice for the wet winter

mtbr member
    Steve's bikes have more innovation than 99% of other custom bikes out there, and that Cream Machine is no different. Kudos to you rogueturtle for finding out about Steve and going with a smaller builder that's patently dedicated to being different and better, and not just joining in in the race to the bottom.

That's one sweet ride!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    That thing is purty...

Everything about it is so understated that it screams!! I love it. Those cable clamps are cool.

Nice ride bro..

Marc
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Steve's bikes have more innovation than 99% of other custom bikes out there, and that Cream Machine is no different. Kudos to you rogueturtle for finding out about Steve and going with a smaller builder that's patently dedicated to being different and better, and not just joining in in the race to the bottom.

That's one sweet ride!
    Im once again at that crossroads--cash in hand-- with more ideas and struggling finding the right builder to go with:

Matt Chester- defunct-
    Vanilla- 2 year wait list
    IF- already did one for my singlespeed (check out the cable routing)
    Bystickel- ive got the feeling he rides more hours a week than i work-which leaves little time for creative juices and welding gases to flow.

trying to find someone who can be bothered with the subtle details like cables routed on the "wrong" side in the 5 oclock position without making you feel like you are tugging out their teeth is tough these days..........any recommendations?????????

Code Monkey

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    Im once again at that crossroads--cash in hand-- with more ideas and struggling finding the right builder to go with:
    I know what you mean (this ride is pretty nice though). We should have a builder/welder review section (I'll ask Francis). You gotta respect anyone who can weld tho (even though you probably could weld too ... if you had the time.)

- peace out.
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    I know what you mean (this ride is pretty nice though). We should have a builder/welder review section (I'll ask Francis). You gotta respect anyone who can weld tho (even though you probably could weld too ... if you had the time.)

- peace out.
    A builder/ welder review would be nice. I think anything that highlights new ideas and new bikes that are pushing the envelope of keeewl would be nice. Unfortunately i dont think too many customers are pushing the builder to be innovative.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Steve's a lifesaver

He's literally bringing my dead Wily back to life this very day.

Cracked the TT at a race last weekend, and he's already cut it out and is welding in a newer, better, faster, stronger, stiffer, un-broken one.

Great guy who know his stuff.

Guess I need to get it rebadged as a Wi:Stickel.
    Dirtbag since '89

try driving your car less

Matt Chester- defunct-
    Vanilla- 2 year wait list
    IF- already did one for my singlespeed (check out the cable routing)
    Bystickel- ive got the feeling he rides more hours a week than i work-which leaves little time for creative juices and welding gases to flow.

trying to find someone who can be bothered with the subtle details like cables routed on the "wrong" side in the 5 oclock position without making you feel like you are tugging out their teeth is tough these days..........any recommendations?????????
    Do you want someone to build whatever you want, your ideas, or someone with ideas of their own?

If you want someone to build your idea, I would try calling Carl Strong. When I spoke with him he was open to just about anything.

If you want someone with cool ideas for stuff that you haven't even thought of, but the builder would think of after talking with you... like those cable stops.
    Not sure. When I looked around at builders I found that they each have a signature mark that they believe in.
    I found value in going with someone local that I could visit in the shop and talk to and discuss face to face what I had in mind.

I think the ultimate would be to build your own, either at Strong or Zanconato. But you have to have the time.

I think Bob Brown does some pretty creative stuff that doesnt attract much attention.
    Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 05-12-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Only boring people get bored.

R32

Feb 2006
    Check out Rob / Badger Cycles.
    Rob will listen to what you're looking for. He's not locked into 'one way' and willing to innovate.
    Cool thing is you end up with rideable art. WAY fun / awesome handling ride.

http://www.badgercycles.com/gallery/...es&id=IMGP1016

mtbr member
    Steve Potts, I think you can get what ever is on your mind.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Hopefully...one of these days...I'm gonna' ...

Get Steve Stickel to do a frame based on my Eastern Woods Research. All of the things that I love about my "classic" frame with some of the modern stuff...4" (at least) fork,while trying to keep the quick geometry, disc brake mounts, (try to keep the short chainstays...) 15.9" chainstays like the orig., all the while allowing 2.3"+ rear tires....
    (Can only get some 2.1's in there now...)
    It'd be my ultimate trail bike for where I live...Now...comes saving the "coin" after just having our second child (a GREAT thing) ...looks like I may be on my EWR Woods Bike a little bit longer...
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Lazy People Suck

Funny you should ask

I just posted my ByStickel for sale in the classifieds:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

although, you need to be about 10-11 years old, or at least under 5' to enjoy it. It has been an awesome bike for my son. He is now on a Cannondale F1000, but it helped get him enthusiastic enough that he really wants to win the 14 and under Junior state title this year. Any of you custom frame owners out there with mountain biking children, this is a must have.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

In FTF We Trust
    Man that is a smokin' deal and a pretty altruistic thing to do to pass it on. I'm seriously tempted but since my son's only 3 1/2 now...
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0