Help on Ti riser bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help on Ti riser bar

Hi people

I've placed an order for a custom XC Ti frame.
    While waiting for the frame - I've started to find and buy parts for the project.

I'm set on Ti handlebars and would prefer risers. I've managed to find riser bars from spicercycles.

Could I have your input on other bars to consider?

Thanx -Kasper

Nov 2005

Not what you want....

OK, I know that this is not what you want to hear (probably), but why do you want riser bars?

You say you are getting a custom frame, why not have it built to accommodate flat bars?

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand. I was in a similar place earlier this year, and I was talking to builders and manufacturers about risers for my needs...I was ready to spend big bucks to have custom bars made that will be strong enough for my needs...

Additionally, I like stiff, precise handling. Risers often will be more flexible (all else equal).

Long story short, the response kept coming back, "why are you set on a riser bar, flat bars will always be stronger (all else equal) due to less bends". Well duh! called my builder and made sure the build would accommodate flats without needing a goofy stem or a stack of shims.

I think it looks better too...perhaps that is what you are after. If you simply prefer the looks of a riser, disregard what I said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper
    I'm set on Ti handlebars and would prefer risers. I've managed to find riser bars from spicercycles.

Could I have your input on other bars to consider?

On the same errand once; at the time, Spicer did not make them.

White Bros made some misshapen ones that weighed over 300 grams.

Some custom ti mfgs offered to weld some up for me (angle irons).

Moots makes a braced ti riser but no longer sells its unbraced ti riser (on my wife's bike) due to liability issues ( see post above).

Maybe the market has changed; this was three years ago.

I sure like my Syntace Vector riser w/16 degree sweep.

Good luck.

mtbr member

There's nothing to understand really...

Your questions are perfect valid, unit and I'm hearing you on the "flat bars will be stronger" but you know -it's down to old habits and personal preference.

Talked with the builder today and ended up on a preliminary setup with 0deg/130mm stem and 30mm rise on the bars. I'm thinking (without actually doing the math) that a 5deg/130 mm stem and flat bars will be aproximately the same. So I would have the option in the future should I change my mind.

Nothings settled yet and the blueprints are still 14 days away. So lot's of time for thinking about looks vs. strenght. At least the frame is strong.. A strong -get it? :-)

Thanx for your thoughts -Kasper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    White Bros made some misshapen ones that weighed over 300 grams.
    I had those white bros risers on my old SS but parted with them when I sold the bike. I believe those (dead heavy) bars where meant for the DH people(?) I also seem to remember that there were two versions the full-Ti and a mix of steel and Ti..

But I liked the looks and it was the first Ti present my wife bought for me
    -She gives me titanium and I love her madly

Cheers - Kasper

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper
    Your questions are perfect valid, unit and I'm hearing you on the "flat bars will be stronger" but you know -it's down to old habits and personal preference.

That is cool.

I just found myself in the exact same predicament, and when asked, I could not produce a single reason for needing, wanting, or even preferring risers.

Just wanted to toss that line of thinking your way.

Have fun with the Strong. I have a friend with 2 of them (the first one was so nice, he ordered up a second).

feel the Force
    Blacksheep can make the bars you're wanting. It's only available for a 31.8 stem clamp, so if you're plannning on using a 25.4, never mind.

Members who have read this thread: 1