Has all production moved to China?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

New question here. Has all production moved to China?

I have posted on this site many times on Chumba's production move to China,
    but I am still looking at picking up an EVO since they claim it is still made in the USA.
    I have contacted a bike company about buying a 06 model and here is their reply ----

"The Evo frame we have available is an '06 model.* In '07, they changed the geometry to make it more of an all mountain frame.* They are only making one Evo frame in 2007 and the geometry*is different than the '06 frames we have available.* Also note, 2006 was the last year the Evo frames were handbuilt in Southern California.* All their frames are now made overseas in Taiwan.* Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out "

Is this true? Chumba Jason if it's not true PM me and I will let you know who this is so you can straighten it out!
    Last edited by Tsquare; 07-06-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Why not pick up the phone and call Chumba's 800 number, and get the info straight from the source?

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Why not pick up the phone and call Chumba's 800 number, and get the info straight from the source?
    I believe that a forum like this is the best way to get the info out.
    If it's true then we all should know and if it's false the same applies.

mtbr member
    The EVO is still made in the USA.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    The EVO is still made in the USA.
    Are you 100% sure of that? Their website says "Over 14 CNC machined parts made at CHUMBA's factory in Anaheim" - not that their frames are made there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquare
    Are you 100% sure of that? Their website says "Over 14 CNC machined parts made at CHUMBA's factory in Anaheim" - not that their frames are made there.
    I'm 99% sure. Give them a call.

Trophy Husband
    Tsquare

Just call them up. They are REALLY busy these days and sometimes it takes them awhile to check the forum.

Once you get the info, post up what they said.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I believe that a forum like this is the best way to get the info out.
    If it's true then we all should know and if it's false the same applies.
    Yes, but IME the Chumba folks are mighty busy and keeping current with an online forum would be about their 5th priority (1: get new orders; 2: get bikes out the door; 3: handle phone calls from dealers, customers, and potential customers; 4: coffee/bathroom breaks). Sleep is somewhere around #7.

If you want an answer in a hurry, I suggest you call them and post your results here.

nerfherder
    But calling would require real human interaction! That's just way too scary.

Nov 2005

I must assume production has moved to China!

I must assume that it is true what I have been told since Chumba will not answer this simple question. Has production of your frames been moved to China (Taiwan)? What is the problem? Can't anyone be straight forward anymore? YES OR NO.

Check out this thread if you buy stuff made in China this is what you are supporting.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/82ce0740-2c0...b5df10621.html
    or this http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288372,00.html
    Last edited by Tsquare; 07-07-2007 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    I must assume that it is true what I have been told since Chumba will not answer this simple question. Has production of your frames been moved to China (Taiwan)? What is the problem? Can't anyone be straight forward anymore? YES OR NO.

Check out this thread if you buy stuff made in China this is what you are supporting.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/82ce0740-2c0...b5df10621.html
    or this http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288372,00.html
    Man..what is your problem??

And FWIW - Taiwan is not China. Don't let your ignorance show too much.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

I can be straightforward, but you aren't going to like it.

You're acting like a self-important jerk who expects the world to revolve around him. You've already spent more time posting these accusations than it would take to get an answer straight from the source. How much effort does it take for you to PICK UP THE PHONE AND MAKE A FREE PHONE CALL??

Chumba is a business. Answering questions on email or forums takes time and doesn't make them any money. They have more important things to do, including (ahem) answering the phone. It appears you don't have anything more important to do than make forum posts accusing them of trying to hide something.

Is that straightforward enough for you?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    This guy has no interest in a Chumba, look at his post history, he's just got an axe to grind about overseas manufacturing in Asia, probably just racist knucklehead.
    "Do not touch the trim"

nerfherder

Apr 2007
    I don't feel like answering his question will help him. Would it really matter where it was made anyways. If its the best bike in its class that should be enough.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    I don't feel like answering his question will help him. Would it really matter where it was made anyways. If its the best bike in its class that should be enough.
    I wouldn't bother. In other news, Jason what's the easiest way to get a spare hanger for my XCL? I'm in South OC.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Apr 2007
    If I told you where every bike company had their bikes made, I bet you wouldn't ride any of them if you have a problem with Taiwan. I personally had parts made at both facilities.
    The Taiwan craftsmanship was better and more consistent. I have never owned a bike other than hand made in the us. That has all changed. I have avoided naming any companies or facilities. Let's just say they are all well known .
    I think at this point all bikes must be tried before judging regardless of where it was made.
    I hope that was clear enough.

J
    Last edited by RacinJason; 07-07-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Nov 2005

This is a forum for answers!

I can be straightforward, but you aren't going to like it.

You're acting like a self-important jerk who expects the world to revolve around him. You've already spent more time posting these accusations than it would take to get an answer straight from the source. How much effort does it take for you to PICK UP THE PHONE AND MAKE A FREE PHONE CALL??

Chumba is a business. Answering questions on email or forums takes time and doesn't make them any money. They have more important things to do, including (ahem) answering the phone. It appears you don't have anything more important to do than make forum posts accusing them of trying to hide something.

Is that straightforward enough for you?

This is supposed to be a forum where you can have questions answered and not a bunch of insults directed at people having valid questions about products they intend to purchase. Answering questions from prospective buyers of your product is part of Chumba's business or any other business. Did you not read my first post, I was actively searching for an EVO to buy because I thought Chumba was moving in the right direction by offering an American made XCL if requested and I genuinely like their bikes, but I am at a point where I think my dollars are best spent on companies who are invested in America and I think is important for everyone to know where their stuff is made. If you don't think that is a good idea that's OK with me I won't hurl insults at you for your opinions, but I think you should know where things you purchase are made! One more question, what is so important about calling them directly. This forum is an excellent way to communicate and if they are as busy as everyone thinks they are they can answer when they are not so busy
    Last edited by Tsquare; 07-07-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    but I think you should know where things you purchase are made!
    And I think you should mind your own fukcing business, I'll make my own decisions thank you.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    Chumba Jason,
    If that is your reply then I assume that China is where they are made. Yes it does matter where it is made, to me and others. See the most current review for the EVO on this site, he thinks the EVO was made in the USA. Was he deceived or correct in his assumption? I too assumed they were made in the USA, am I wrong? Is dubjay wrong?
    Who cares where the other bikes that you eluded to are made, I was interested in a Chumba and your website makes it appear as if the EVO is an American product. I had a question about your frames and you cannot or will not answer a basic question. If it is made in America I would be buying one now intsead of going through this.

Trying a little
    Tsquare you are so right and we all are so wrong. Our stupid suggestion about calling the company just makes us seem more idiotic. I won't post any more because I don't deserve to be in your awesome thread.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Aug 2006
    Tsquare, you need to take a chill pill and calm down.

Fact: Chumba has been making some of the best boutique frames for many years. Their welding capabilities and frame strength are well known. As far as I’m aware, nothing has changed.

Due to market forces, very few manf'ers are 100% USA made. And, unfortunatley, "Made in the USA" doesn't infer "Quality" like it used to. Get over it.

Disclaimer: Although I’ve wanted one for years, I don’t own a Chumba. I have been to their shop a couple times and talked to them on the phone/email several times; they were very nice & helpful.

locked - time out
    As long as its a great riding bike, the cost is competative, and the craftsmanship is top notch who cares where its made.

mtbr member
    Tsquare,

This issue has been addressed so many times I am honestly getting really tired of you bringing it up over and over.

Like everyone said, if this is so important to you, please give me a call at 800-706-0760 or PM me, like CHUCKO so validly pointed out, we are incredibly busy, that I haven't been able to frequent the forums as frequently as I used to -- however, I'd still be more than happy to talk to you over the phone -- but I have a sneaking suspicion that you will never call me, nor give me your real name, nor will we ever have a genuine conversation.

And to set the record straight, every EVO we've produced and that is in our warehouse was powdercoated, heat treated, and manufactured in Anaheim or within 30 minutes of Anaheim; and hand built by either me, Ted, Jason, or one of our interns. Does that make it any better than our overseas frames? Judging from the market response to our bikes, I would say people want a durable, high performance bike that brings the same, or better quality, craftsmanship, and engineering (developed for over 10 years on the NORBA race circuit) of other high end bikes out there -- and that is what we provide. If you don't like our approach to things, you have a lot of other choices out there. Everyone at CHUMBA has worked so hard to make things happen and made many significant personal sacrifices to bring the best quality product possible to the riders that you really have no idea about the heart and soul that goes into each of these bikes whether made here or overseas. I am immensely proud of our products and everyone in our company and the way we've conducted our business.

Again, if you have anything to say, why don't you just call me, give me your real name, show me that you are genuine and hash everything out, instead of posting all these threads.

-A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 07-08-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for clearing the air, Alan.

(Hey, how come we don't have a Chumba logo emoticon here??)

mtbr member

Thanks for clearing the air, Alan.

LOL..I'll have to talk to Francis or Forrest about that one...but the emoticon you used looks pretty close..ha

mtbr member

Does this work?

Just insert image - https://www.dubjay.com/images/chumbie.gif

Apr 2007
    Aww I like the mini Chumba guy.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Thanks dubjay!

shred my gnar
    excellent response alan... very well said! your response details one of the big reasons i bought a chumba xcl (us made, btw t-square!) w/o even demo'ing one whereas i had demo'ed and had the $$$ lined-up for a turner or santa cruz and was ready to demo both titus and ventana bikes. why spend $4K+ when you can spend less and get as good a bike (and likely more sturdy!), imo?!?!?!

anyone else surprised not have a response from t-square yet? shocker... lets see you eat some crow with all the assumptions you made previously in this thread

edit->

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Tsquare,
    And to set the record straight, every EVO we've produced and that is in our warehouse was powdercoated, heat treated, and manufactured in Anaheim or within 30 minutes of Anaheim; and hand built by either me, Ted, Jason, or one of our interns. Does that make it any better than our overseas frames? -A.
    Ted, Jason & Who?
    I bet I even had a hand in a couple of those EVO frames sitting in your warehouse!!
    PS Hi everyone in Chumba World, how's "The Loop"??

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen
    Ted, Jason & Who?
    I bet I even had a hand in a couple of those EVO frames sitting in your warehouse!!
    PS Hi everyone in Chumba World, how's "The Loop"??
    Hey Dave,

Everyone is good, hope you are doing well too. Come out to the loop sometime.

-A.

mtbr member
    Hey Dave,

Everyone is good, hope you are doing well too. Come out to the loop sometime.

-A.
    I will, its just hard to fight traffic to make the loop when I have Aliso & Crystal Cove 15 min. from my door!

Nov 2005

every EVO we've produced and that is in our warehouse, Interns?

[QUOTE=CHUMBAevo]Tsquare,

This issue has been addressed so many times I am honestly getting really tired of you bringing it up over and over.

Like everyone said, if this is so important to you, please give me a call at 800-706-0760 or PM me, like CHUCKO so validly pointed out, we are incredibly busy, that I haven't been able to frequent the forums as frequently as I used to -- however, I'd still be more than happy to talk to you over the phone -- but I have a sneaking suspicion that you will never call me, nor give me your real name, nor will we ever have a genuine conversation.

And to set the record straight, every EVO we've produced and that is in our warehouse was powdercoated, heat treated, and manufactured in Anaheim or within 30 minutes of Anaheim; and hand built by either me, Ted, Jason, or one of our interns.

Q: Where are Turner's made?
    A: The frame ideas and designs come from a world none of us can really understand, no not another planet, but David Turners mind. All of the design works is done in Murrieta, CA; in a tiny office with insufficient air conditioning in the summer and not enough heat in the winter. Out of the same office we handle all of the marketing, sales, quality control and final assembly. Every frame is loved with pride and joy until it has been delivered to its proud new owner. As for the actual fabrication, our frames are built by a facility in Portland Oregon; and yes in their spare time they tinker with spacecraft and jet airplanes..

This is from Turners website Allan, If you want to know how a top bike company answers a simple question.

ps: we have talked about this earlier this year on the phone in person.

mtbr member

[QUOTE=Tsquare]
    Tsquare,

And to set the record straight, every EVO we've produced and that is in our warehouse was powdercoated, heat treated, and manufactured in Anaheim or within 30 minutes of Anaheim; and hand built by either me, Ted, Jason, or one of our interns.

Q: Where are Turner's made?
    A: The frame ideas and designs come from a world none of us can really understand, no not another planet, but David Turners mind. All of the design works is done in Murrieta, CA; in a tiny office with insufficient air conditioning in the summer and not enough heat in the winter. Out of the same office we handle all of the marketing, sales, quality control and final assembly. Every frame is loved with pride and joy until it has been delivered to its proud new owner. As for the actual fabrication, our frames are built by a facility in Portland Oregon; and yes in their spare time they tinker with spacecraft and jet airplanes..

This is from Turners website Allan, If you want to know how a top bike company answers a simple question.

ps: we have talked about this earlier this year on the phone in person.
    Okay, so why are you posting on the CHUMBA forum? Please stop with your false pretenses and allegations, you are not looking at our bikes to ride, you are trying to make a political point. If you want make a political point, I will politely ask that you do it somewhere else.

nerfherder
    Attention mongers demand... well, attention. Stop giving it to them and they go somewhere else to find it. Don't feed the troll.

Let's all go ride our bikes our something.

shred my gnar
    this sounds pretty damn straightforward to me. and everyone on this forum knows that with the xcl you can either get a frame built in socal or an outsourced overseas frame for a few hundred bucks cheaper. what a concept!

dont you think its bs that a cali company has outsourced their frame production to oregon?!?! the horror! screwing over hard working californians like that... bastards. you may have missed in an earlier thread regarding this subject that chumba was actually able to hire MORE folks to work in anaheim once the additional frame construction was outsourced.

man... you are looking like more of a jackass as this thread goes on. personally, i dont think you deserve to ride an evo... or any chumba for that matter!!!

move along...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Are you retarded? He answered the question you d1ck
    "Do not touch the trim"

it's....

Learn Geography

T-Square,
    At least learn the difference between China and Taiwan, Asia is the largest continent and it's not all China.

Nov 2005

I guess your right

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    T-Square,
    At least learn the difference between China and Taiwan, Asia is the largest continent and it's not all China.
    From Taiwan's website & from Wikepedia

For its part, the People's Republic of China appears to find the retention of the name "Republic of China" far more acceptable than the declaration of a de-jure independent Republic of Taiwan. However, with the rise of the Taiwanese independence movement, the name "Taiwan" has been employed increasingly more often on the island itself. The PRC has stated that any effort in Taiwan to formally abolish the ROC and replace it with a Republic of Taiwan would result in a strong and possibly military reaction. The current position of the United States is that the Taiwan issue must be resolved peacefully and unilateral action by either side is condemned; neither an unprovoked invasion by the PRC or a formal declaration of independence by Taiwan would be acceptable.[6]

If PRC thinks it's part of China it's part of China
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tsquare; 07-19-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Jeez, Tsquare, you sure do have a [email protected] for China, judging by your post history.

The EVO is made in the USA, so give it a rest, OK?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Ignore him and hope he goes away.

Nov 2005

It's not against China.

[QUOTE=chucko58]Jeez, Tsquare, you sure do have a [email protected] for China, judging by your post history.

It's about American companies moving their production out of the country.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    That horse left the barn years ago. Good luck closing the barn doors.

edit: Oh BTW, while you try to undo long-term world trends in manufacturing labor, I'm enjoying riding my made-in-Taiwan Chumba XCL frame with all the Japanese and Chinese made bits bolted to it. But at least the Thomson seatpost is made in the USA.

edited edit: But at least I drive a Ford Focus. Oh wait, that was assembled in Mexico...
    Last edited by chucko58; 07-19-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: twisting the knife a bit

Trophy Husband
    That horse left the barn years ago. Good luck closing the barn doors.

edit: Oh BTW, while you try to undo long-term world trends in manufacturing labor, I'm enjoying riding my made-in-Taiwan Chumba XCL frame with all the Japanese and Chinese made bits bolted to it. But at least the Thomson seatpost is made in the USA.

edited edit: But at least I drive a Ford Focus. Oh wait, that was assembled in Mexico...
    Chucko

You are so un-American! How dare you want quality products at competitive pricing. What are you...a communist?
    Extreme stationary biker.

banned
    It's about American companies moving their production out of the country.
    Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of work and money to go around.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Ignore him and hope he goes away.
    Exactly. This guy is obviously a troll.

Nov 2005

Ouch! That was a Brilliant reply!!

Exactly. This guy is obviously a troll.
    CHUMBAevo,

In case you missed it, I was just replying to a poster who believed Taiwan was not part of China.

it's....
    CHUMBAevo,

In case you missed it, I was just replying to a poster who believed Taiwan was not part of China.
    Believe? The only reason China is in the official political name of Taiwan is because Taiwan still claims it is the true Chinese gov't, just temporarily located in Taiwan to flee the Commies.

Members who have read this thread: 0