Happy with Chumba?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Happy with Chumba?

Hi
    I met with the guys at Interbike and while I have known about the company of course I never really checked them out.. I have to say I was impressed with the guys and it appears they "get it" when it comes to customer service and taking care of their customers, what I want to do is hear from existing owners about the frames themselves as well as the guys backing them up... post here, email or PM is fine

thanks in advance

Aug 2007

great seatpost clamp

Sounds crazy, but everything has been similar. I find myself adjusting my seat height, just so I can use the seatpost clamp. Everything has been really great. The craftsmanship is really great. The downhill ride is exceptional. I am continually looking for the hits to take. The rear end just soaks it up without feel "my dad's old cadillacish". The climb is super sticky on the technical stuff, and steady on the smooth climbs. I just cleaned a tough climb yesterday that I had never been able to get before.
    Jason at chumba has been great at returning emails and calls.
    good luck
    Larry

it's....

customer service?

Haven't had the need since I got the frame.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    Hi
    I met with the guys at Interbike and while I have known about the company of course I never really checked them out.. I have to say I was impressed with the guys and it appears they "get it" when it comes to customer service and taking care of their customers, what I want to do is hear from existing owners about the frames themselves as well as the guys backing them up... post here, email or PM is fine

thanks in advance
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...36&postcount=4
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My XCL has been great! I fly into a bush almost every ride and ocassionaly crash and the bike has yet to show any signs of wear or tear. My first big ride was at Oaks where I had a big crash leaving me with nothing more than a taco'd wheel which Adrenaline bikes fixed in a few hours. Pretty much my bike is falling more and more towards a short travel freeride bike as it now has an E13 DRS chaine guide, weighs 34lbs and possibly thinking about forcing a coil shock on it Its already got the Chumba build kit on it. If money shows its face a little more, some Mavic SLR's may find its way onto the bike as well, heck maybe DeeMax if I feel crazy.

As for service my experience at Chumba has been second to none. And what played the biggest role was that they made me feel like a friend before a customer. Alan and Jason are great to deal with and talk to, Very friendly and quick to respond to any questions.

As far as I understand, Chumba has never had a frame failure. Being that they haven't been out that long its kind of metiocre, but my crash at Oaks proved me wrong. Give em a visit and check out Adrenaline where you can test ride one. Chumba in located in Anaheim I believe which is somewhat local for me, so I feel like I'm supporting a little bit.
    Most importantly it comes down to confidence and comfort. I felt more confident on a Chumba than I did on a Yeti in terms of durability and stiffness. Although Yeti does have an awsome warranty!
    I like rice.

mtbr member
    May 2006

How's this..

My very good friend got back from Interbike(yesterday)but saw him today.We talked of course about this and that,what did you think of ,bla bla bla.And he told me(I must tell that this guy OWNS a very well known small bike co.)won't say who,but he told me if he could ride anyother bike than his he told me it would be Knolly and or Chumba.I was very impressed with that reply.He also thay were just the BEST guys.Other greats(guys)were Transtion,Knolly, and Chris King,Just thought I'd share.CF..

Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the compliments about our service. We work hard to make it the easiest purchase you have ever made. Interbike was a lot of fun.
    I can't think of anything more rewarding than the look on everyones face who test rode our bikes. That made all the work that went into setting up the show worth it.
    Anyone who has questions regarding our bikes or dealers please call me at 714-348-6859

Jason
    [email protected]

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    My XCL has been great. The workmanship is outstanding and the ride is superb. Jason and Alan have been very helpful, not that I've needed much help since the bike arrived. I look around at the other bikes I see on the trail and I don't see anything I'd want to trade my XCL for. I'm a happy camper.

mtbr member
    These guys are A#1 in my book. As they've stated many times before, if you have ANY issues with your purchase or future purchase, give them a call and they will help you out. I haven't had any issues with my 07 Evo. As a previous homer I am happy to say that this bike climbs as well as but descends way better than my late 6 Pack. As long as Alan, Jason, and Ted are involved, I'm a customer for life.
    07 Laguna Seca Blue Evo w/ Lyric 2 Step

mtbr member
    awesome feedback guys, thank you
    That confirmed my gut feeling to become a Chumba dealer

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Another on Chumba's service.

I've had my XCL for only 4 rides and it feels very stable on the trail. I didn't expect to notice much difference with the 20mm front axle, but the extra rigidity is very noticeable.

mtbr member
    thanks..
    we are officially a dealer now and have ordered a few XCL frames in

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    thanks..
    we are officially a dealer now and have ordered a few XCL frames in
    SWEET!

the train keeps rollin
    I'm almost landed a XCL, but went Ventana instead, figuring the initial XCLs would have
    some start up hurdles. My good buddy MerrimackDave bought one, he's been very happy with it. I know he has one Beef. He's busted 2 derailleur hangers. The first was a stick incident, chalk that one up to riding unimproved trails. The 2nd was pure BS. He stood
    up out of the saddle on a quick up, and POS hanger bent. Looking at the Hangers, they're very thin, and seem to be made of inferior soft metal. No way should a hanger bend because of pedal forces, that is just WACK.

Chumba, how about some real hangers!!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    I'm almost landed a XCL, but went Ventana instead, figuring the initial XCLs would have
    some start up hurdles. My good buddy MerrimackDave bought one, he's been very happy with it. I know he has one Beef. He's busted 2 derailleur hangers. The first was a stick incident, chalk that one up to riding unimproved trails. The 2nd was pure BS. He stood
    up out of the saddle on a quick up, and POS hanger bent. Looking at the Hangers, they're very thin, and seem to be made of inferior soft metal. No way should a hanger bend because of pedal forces, that is just WACK.

Chumba, how about some real hangers!!
    I think you are talking about the old hangers. The new ones are made of 7 series aluminum and are built just as strong as what you would get from any other manufacturer.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Hanger issue

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    I think you are talking about the old hangers. The new ones are made of 7 series aluminum and are built just as strong as what you would get from any other manufacturer.
    Actually it was one of the new hangers that Chumba kindly overnighted to me during a recent weekend in Vermont. I could not be happier with my new XCL, it is an incredible bike, but it is rather scary to torque a hanger like that. I haven't had another problem with it, but I do carry three in my pack, just in case.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    Actually it was one of the new hangers that Chumba kindly overnighted to me during a recent weekend in Vermont. I could not be happier with my new XCL, it is an incredible bike, but it is rather scary to torque a hanger like that. I haven't had another problem with it, but I do carry three in my pack, just in case.
    Something isn't right. I've held my XCL hanger in my hand and it looks like every other hanger I've ever seen. Unless it's made of butter, something is wrong with your setup.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Something isn't right. I've held my XCL hanger in my hand and it looks like every other hanger I've ever seen. Unless it's made of butter, something is wrong with your setup.

There is nothing wrong with my setup. I weigh 185 lbs, have a solid rear wheel, new deraileur, cassette, nothing unusual at all. Let's hope it was just a fluke.

Feb 2005
    Sorry for appearing to be a complete thicko here but how can pedalling torque bend a mech hanger as the load goes through the top teeth on the cassett? Doesn't the rear mech simply guide the chain?

Apr 2007
    If you seize a bearing in your deraileur pulley you can break any type of hanger on any bike.
    The hanger is built to handle up to 10 times the torque applied by the chain just rolling through it. One thing to check is your chain length and wear. If a chain is to long and it is really worn it can jump off the pulley and get bound around the metal guide plate.
    The new series 7 hangers are thicker aluminum and a little harder. But not to hard where they bend it you cant straighten it again. Its a fine line and can be crossed really easy. Too hard and thick and it bends the frame and snaps. To soft and it bends for no reason. Just right and it can bend a couple of times then it brakes.
    As with any bike you should all ways have a spare in your bag.
    I am yet to brake a d hanger on any of my bikes.
    I have run the Fontana DH I have rode Moab and the Amasa Back to Jackson.
    I free ride with it . All the local trails.
    I check it around once every 2 weeks depending on how many rides I get in .
    If I see any cracks I will replace it but it has been 4 months on this EVO nothing yet.
    Evey demo bike went out and did bootleg canyon and came back fine.
    Not one broken hanger. That place would be the place it would happen for sure.
    (BIG ROCKS)

J

Members who have read this thread: 0