hands-on assembly hints on EBB/ZION- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

hands-on assembly hints on EBB/ZION

Hi,

here are some hints on the EBB itself and the assembly of the bottom bracket for any bicycle mechanic or hobbyist. My first hint refers to the ZION 660 EBB, the 2nd refers to any EBB-frame.

- adjustment holes - on the left side, please

The EBB included in my 6-month-old 660EBB frame had the adjustment holes on the right hand side. Well, that's a problem, then...
    The crank and its chainrings will block these holes.

I have notified Jenson USA to make them aware; hopefully, they will rectify this soon.

Solution: I had to drill some 5mm or (0.2 in) holes, with about 35mm (say 1.4 in) distance into the EBB to correct this. See the pics below.

- Installation of the bottom bracket into the EBB-adapter

The specified torque for standard Shimano BBs is 50..70 Nm (or 440 lb-in to 620 lb-in in US-metrics). That's quite a significant amount of torque.

Usually, assembly of the bottom bracket into a standard frame is easy. However, when mounting the bottom bracket into any EBB-equipped frame, the EBB-bolts would need to keep the EBB in its position. That would require a lot of twisting applied to the bolts and I suspect that over-torque might also have caused the crack in Finch Platte's first ZION frame.

I have used some high quality plastic braces for my vice to get a solid fixture for the EBB for the BB installation. Refer to the pictures included below. Some sandpaper between the EBB and the braces provide some extra friction...

I have also gently filed the bolts as to give them a better, wider touch surface with the EBB. The bolts in their original state are touching the EBB only - leaving ring marks; not good...

Step-by-step instructions

1. Grease and install the bottom bracket into the EBB; using a vice and braces. Clean the EBB and frame.
    2. Apply some high quality grease and insert the EBB into the frame. Do not insert the fixing bolts yet.
    3. Mount the cranks.
    4. Apply some lock-tite (blue, mid strength) to the bolts and insert them. They should adjust the EBB adapter to a center position; but do not tighten them.
    5. Install the chain, gently tension it and then tighten the bolts. I have used a torque tool; set to 4 Nm or 35 lb-in
    6. Voilá

I hope anyone new to EBBs considers this useful...

Cheers,

Der Schlappmacher
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    cool stuff... my old Zion also had the holes on the drive side... but I never adjusted tension using them... since I used external bearing cranks..I just twisted by grabbing one of the BB cups...

Last edited by crisillo; 10-25-2007 at 04:26 AM.

Bear

adjustment boles....

...either side is fine. Just stick an allen wrench through the crank spider and into the hole....turn the crank until it hits the allen and keep turning until desired tension is reached. No need for the special tool.

Bear

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Why not just turn the EBB shell around so the wholes are on the non-drive side? That's what I did on my 737EBB. As far as I could tell there is no difference in installing the EBB shell either way.

Quote Originally Posted by AleutianMTB
    Why not just turn the EBB shell around so the wholes are on the non-drive side? That's what I did on my 737EBB. As far as I could tell there is no difference in installing the EBB shell either way.

well the BB threading so that your direction of pedaling won't loosen the BB...it doesn't happen often...but that's the idea.... otherwise one side of the BB would not have "reverse" threading

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    well the BB threading so that your direction of pedaling won't loosen the BB...it doesn't happen often...but that's the idea.... otherwise one side of the BB would not have "reverse" threading
    Good point. I always thought they did that just to give home mechanics a chance to cross thread their parts. Good point though. Now I better go check my BB and make sure it's not loose.

Apr 2007

maybe that's why...

by the way; I have learned that these holes can be often found on the right hand side with EBB adapters for tandem bicycles. Those have the drive train on the left...

Could be that Jenson simply went for a standard EBB for tandems...

Cheers,

Der Schlappmacher

Members who have read this thread: 0