Gunnar/Waterford

Printable View

  • 04-24-2008
    Hand/of/Midas
    Gunnar/Waterford
    who else rides one? throw some pics up if you got em.......
  • 04-24-2008
    yangpei
    3 Attachment(s)
    My Gunnar Ruffian
    Here's a few pics of my Gunnar Ruffian 29er rigid singlespeed. It hasn't been out in a while since I'm so out of riding shape.
  • 04-24-2008
    Hand/of/Midas
    wow. you spec'd that bike awesome! btw,how is that prologo seat?
  • 04-24-2008
    yangpei
    Thanks. The Prologo seat is fairly comfortable, but firm. Fortunately, it's on a singlespeed bike and I have to stand and pedal on any significant uphill section :)
  • 04-24-2008
    Hand/of/Midas
    rockhound 26" 1x9. will have the new SID on there soon. this is a bad pic anyway, so ill take new ones once the fork is on in a month or so. love how this bike rides.

  • 06-01-2008
    PutAwayWet
    Here's my Rockhound set up rigid SS with a Vicious fork and ENO rear hub. Just took my final ride on her today :(
  • 06-14-2008
    BleepBlp
    Can anyone tell me how the Gunnar Sport and Salsa Casseroll compare?
  • 08-23-2008
    stinkymutt
    1 Attachment(s)
    Gunnar Ruffian
    w/ silver to blue flade paint & phil wood hubs
  • 09-13-2008
    Hand/of/Midas
    Newer pic
    So heres a better pic, last weight was 22.7 or so, getting new light wheels,and some small parts like lighter brakes and stuff this winter, probally going to repaint it too! so im very excited to see how this project turns out for next spring!

  • 11-05-2008
    Normbilt
    Todays Ride
    Gunnar Ruffian in Chameleon Metallic with paint to match Vicious Fork
    Red smattering of Race Face Cranks, King Headset, Control tech Bar and Avid Ultimate Supreme Levers



    Gunnar Rockhound in Lime Twist with paint to match Vicious Fork non Suspension Corrected
    Matching Race Face Next LP Cranks 2X9 XTR Drive Train with Blue King Headset, Blue Race Face H-Bar, and Blue Nips


    Both are Custom Geometery 16" Frames
  • 11-05-2008
    perttime
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Normbilt
    Gunnar Ruffian in Chameleon Metallic
    ...
    Gunnar Rockhound in Lime Twist with paint to match Vicious Fork non Suspension Corrected

    Great colors, especially the Chameleon.

    Don't the angles get pretty steep with the non-corrected fork? Or are the angles tweaked as part of the custom geometry?
  • 11-06-2008
    Normbilt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by perttime
    Great colors, especially the Chameleon.

    Don't the angles get pretty steep with the non-corrected fork? Or are the angles tweaked as part of the custom geometry?

    Very Slightly It lowers your Center of Gravity
  • 11-10-2008
    strongislandsser
  • 11-11-2008
    DrumSchtick2112
    My Waterford - Lugged 853 - Fox Float 100RLC
    Was full XTR until last week, converted to SS. Hopefully getting powdercoated in the next month or two, when I've got the extra dough. Ignore the useless big ring, it is now fitted with a proper SS 32t chainring w/ proper bolts.



  • 11-18-2008
    sasquatch_on477
    1 Attachment(s)
    A newly build Gunnar RockHound. Just put it on the trails the other week!
  • 11-25-2008
    Normbilt
  • 01-08-2009
    251
    No more Gunnars?





  • 01-10-2009
    Spaceman613
    Just finished my Christmas present. Will be tuning the fit (stem length and stack) this spring when I can get some hours on her.

  • 01-19-2009
    markj2k4
    we have a nice set of gunnars/waterfords in here! here's my rock hound

  • 01-21-2009
    Hand/of/Midas
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 251
    No more Gunnars?


    It'd probally be a sin for him to post here , but Karl from Dirt rag has a nice Pink Rockhound, and i CX bike i think too.

    Im debating between colors for getting mine powder coated, as the paint has chipped over many years. i just may do pink as also as i have SID fork decals in pink. well see.
  • 01-21-2009
    stinkymutt
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 251
    No more Gunnars?

    An updated pic of my Ruffian w/ newer components. Next to my Burley 'cross bike, it's the finest ride I've owned.
  • 05-07-2009
    vwvoodoo
    Here's my Ruffian Commuter.
    Alfine with a bunch of parts from various mountain bike projects. I've been commuting on it for a while, but it will likely become my SS mountain bike before too long. I had it built with fittings so that it could be an off-road tourer, commuter, or mountain bike.



  • 02-01-2010
    Normbilt
    Just Finished up a Gunnar Fastlane for one of my Favorite Customers!
    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4296445692/" title="Dennis O'Hare 03 by normbilt, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4296445692_3cf5bcd129_b.jpg" width="1024" height="761" alt="Dennis O'Hare 03" /></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4295701043/" title="Dennis O'Hare 02 by normbilt, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2748/4295701043_b54a6f495c_b.jpg" width="877" height="1024" alt="Dennis O'Hare 02" /></a>
  • 03-22-2011
    acckids
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Normbilt
    Just Finished up a Gunnar Fastlane for one of my Favorite Customers!
    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4296445692/" title="Dennis O'Hare 03 by normbilt, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4296445692_3cf5bcd129_b.jpg" width="1024" height="761" alt="Dennis O'Hare 03" /></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4295701043/" title="Dennis O'Hare 02 by normbilt, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2748/4295701043_b54a6f495c_b.jpg" width="877" height="1024" alt="Dennis O'Hare 02" /></a>


    What color is this? I like this setup.
  • 03-23-2011
    roc865
    Are you all from Wisconsin which is where Gunnar is located? Did you get to test ride the Gunnar before you bought it?
  • 03-23-2011
    Normbilt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by acckids
    What color is this? I like this setup.

    The Color is Raj Red which was the color of the month from 01/01/10 to 02/28/10

    Each month they do a Waterford Color that is available for a two month period.
  • 03-23-2011
    Normbilt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by roc865
    Are you all from Wisconsin which is where Gunnar is located? Did you get to test ride the Gunnar before you bought it?

    here are four dealers in Massachusetts
    Fit Werx 2 / Ph: 978-532-7348
    Peabody map / Web
    Grace Bicycles / Ph: 508-429-9177
    Holliston map / Web Test Rides!
    Harris Cyclery / Ph: 617 244-1040
    West Newton map / Web Test Rides!
    Ordinary Cycles-Pittsfield / Ph: 413-442-7225
    Pittsfield map / E-Mail
  • 03-23-2011
    PutAwayWet
    My new Ruffian:













  • 03-23-2011
    Normbilt
    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4099741448/" title="G1 11-09 by normbilt, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4099741448_abe7a83f14_b.jpg" width="1024" height="708" alt="G1 11-09" /></a>
  • 03-24-2011
    roc865
    those ruffian's look like nice bikes. i see the fork is made by vicious cycles which is in my neck of the woods. i heard they went out of business. :confused:
  • 03-24-2011
    Normbilt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by roc865
    those ruffian's look like nice bikes. i see the fork is made by vicious cycles which is in my neck of the woods. i heard they went out of business. :confused:

    Rumor has it.
    I was talking to Richard Schwinn of Waterford Cycles/Gunnar Bikes and I asked him about using Salsa Moto Grande Forks.
    He said they thought about since vicious cycles was not returning phone calls
  • 03-24-2011
    roc865
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Normbilt
    Rumor has it.
    I was talking to Richard Schwinn of Waterford Cycles/Gunnar Bikes and I asked him about using Salsa Moto Grande Forks.
    He said they thought about since vicious cycles was not returning phone calls

    I believe it. I was looking to take a 2 hour trip up north to check out Vicious Cyles and possibly purchase one but nobody returned my phone calls or emails. I think it's safe to say that Vicious is gone city.
  • 04-05-2011
    seat_boy
    I thought I had already posted my Gunnars here, but I guess not:

    My old Crosshairs, rode it for close to 10 years before deciding it was too small:


    My best riding Gunnar was this Rockhound, very springy, but also too small:


    My current Rockhound fits well, but doesn't ride quite as nicely as the old one:


    Each of these has unfortunately shared three characteristics: the seat post has slipped in all three (fixed by a small section of pop can shim), and the paint is terrible. The orange color of my latest looks oh so lovely and sparkly in the sun, then chips like a superbowl snack if you touch it. This is frustrating.
  • 01-27-2012
    silent713
    Really dig the Fastlane, and have been debating between something like that or a Singular Griphon for some time. What's the widest tire you can get on the Fastlane?
  • 01-08-2014
    koudja
    gunnar fastlane
    anyone have a fastlane and care to provide some feedback? happy with it? is it a pig? too touring oriented or can it get down at a cx race?
    i've scoured the web and haven't been able to find much beyond them being recommended without expanding on personal experience details.

    i'm looking for a 'utility' bike that is (relatively) fast and light. i want it climbing oriented. i want it to have endurance characteristics for the long rides. though, it's main/daily tasks will be: commuting (hilly 15 mi RT), long dirt road rides, 50-70+ miles with lots of vert, and occasionally singletrack when i don't want to ride my mtb. i'm on the fence with a good steel like the fastlane or hyperx or digging deep and going custom ti. i'm thinking the hyperx is off the list since it's not really designed to take a load.

    occasionally i want it to tour so it needs to have eyelets for racks. tours i have in mind are in the PNW, 3-5 day in length, light load <20lb. every other year i ride the 7 day san juan huts system (200 miles of dirt, a butt load of climbing, and some singletrack. ie: needs to handle fat tires ~1.8 is fine, frame needs to be fine with ~30lb load). occasionally i want to do a cx race. sometimes road duty, which would likely find me wandering a bit and exploring a dirt road.

    my commuter frame finally gave in (alu gt edge) after lots of years of love. i used to have a 26" full suss which i used for sjhs in past years. sold it last winter to build a 29ss, niner one9 (ss is so much fun). sold my crabon hakkalugi because 1. didn't feel comfortable using it for commuting duties and 2. wanted to put racks on it for touring. loved that bike though, so much fun to ride. needed to sell it though to fund something that's more functional.

    i think the fargo is too 'offroad' for my needs so they're off the list. vaya is also on my list of want. if a vaya is what i end up with, it would be a place holder until i can fund a custom ti.

    in the chance that someone has something they want to sell, i'm 6'3" 175, 35" cycling inseam, so looking for something in the l/xl area. my non-disc hakkalugi was 61 and fit like a glove. my one9 is xl and fits great as well.


    thanks!
  • 09-07-2014
    PUJ
    1 Attachment(s)
    Gunnar Rockhound
  • 06-11-2015
    seat_boy
    Twin Six prototype, by Waterford:

  • 09-07-2015
    JoshG
    Yo Koudja what did you do? Ever get the info you wanted on fast lane? I'm really interested in one too and your description is close to what I'm seeking.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by koudja View Post
    anyone have a fastlane and care to provide some feedback? happy with it? is it a pig? too touring oriented or can it get down at a cx race?
    i've scoured the web and haven't been able to find much beyond them being recommended without expanding on personal experience details.

    i'm looking for a 'utility' bike that is (relatively) fast and light. i want it climbing oriented. i want it to have endurance characteristics for the long rides. though, it's main/daily tasks will be: commuting (hilly 15 mi RT), long dirt road rides, 50-70+ miles with lots of vert, and occasionally singletrack when i don't want to ride my mtb. i'm on the fence with a good steel like the fastlane or hyperx or digging deep and going custom ti. i'm thinking the hyperx is off the list since it's not really designed to take a load.

    occasionally i want it to tour so it needs to have eyelets for racks. tours i have in mind are in the PNW, 3-5 day in length, light load <20lb. every other year i ride the 7 day san juan huts system (200 miles of dirt, a butt load of climbing, and some singletrack. ie: needs to handle fat tires ~1.8 is fine, frame needs to be fine with ~30lb load). occasionally i want to do a cx race. sometimes road duty, which would likely find me wandering a bit and exploring a dirt road.

    my commuter frame finally gave in (alu gt edge) after lots of years of love. i used to have a 26" full suss which i used for sjhs in past years. sold it last winter to build a 29ss, niner one9 (ss is so much fun). sold my crabon hakkalugi because 1. didn't feel comfortable using it for commuting duties and 2. wanted to put racks on it for touring. loved that bike though, so much fun to ride. needed to sell it though to fund something that's more functional.

    i think the fargo is too 'offroad' for my needs so they're off the list. vaya is also on my list of want. if a vaya is what i end up with, it would be a place holder until i can fund a custom ti.

    in the chance that someone has something they want to sell, i'm 6'3" 175, 35" cycling inseam, so looking for something in the l/xl area. my non-disc hakkalugi was 61 and fit like a glove. my one9 is xl and fits great as well.


    thanks!

  • 10-19-2015
    yourideit
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1023213

    the adventure bike got some upgrades!!!

    fancy titanium seat post
    carbon hoops
    29x1.8 spesh renegades set up tubeless.

    that bike's a real go getter!
  • 11-05-2015
    koudja
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    Yo Koudja what did you do?

    Apologies for the delay, and thanks for reminding me to write a bit about the bike.

    I've been really happy with the bike and it's been everything I hoped it would be. I've had a lot of different uses over the past 2200 miles: raced it in cx, taken it on long road rides (harpoon B2B, now B2VT, 150mi), done some big climbing road rides, commuted a ton on it, and used it for grocery runs on a regular basis. No extended bike tours yet. The frame and the ride are just a delight. It has the feel of steel that I was hoping for, it's stout, but takes out the road vibrations and bumps well. It descends with incredible confidence, even when I've got ~10-15 lbs in the panniers. Something about the bike just makes it move. It gets up to speed well and can just cruise. As for sizing, I went with a 62, but wish I had gone 60.

    I have it built up with ultegra 11sp, TRP Spyre SL disc brakes (I really like these), and a handbuilt set of white industries CLD hubs with Light Bicycle 30mm hookless mtb rims. I'm running clement XPLOR USH setup tubeless and have used these tires the entire time. With that much wear, this cross season, the rear end slipped a lot on steep, grassy climbs. It's no carbon fiber wunderbike, she's a stout girl. It will hold it's own on fast group rides, climbing is where I really feel the heft, but I can still stay near the front of the group. I don't remember how much it weighs, but it ain't light. I did my best to lighten it with the wheels (~1500 grams), I may look for a crabon fiber fork at some point.

    I have a few complaints about the bike, and they have nothing to do with the ride. The paint chips easily, but this is a known Gunnar thing. The second complaint was the customer service I had with Gunnar. I paid a whole butt load of money to get a custom paint job, and the frame came with a 1x2mm fleck of contrasting paint stuck in the clear coat on the stay, presumably from another paint job nearby. I asked my shop to contact Gunnar about it, took a couple of weeks to hear back. They offered to repaint it, but I would have to cover shipping costs. By then the bike was built, which was done eagerly once the frame arrived, since I had ordered it in February and had to wait until June for it to come in. I asked for $100 to be refunded, Gunnar refused (the premium paint job was $500). My final complaint is that all of the threads had to be chased and the bottom bracket and headset had to be faced. I expected more for the price I paid for the frame and paint job.

    Attachment 1026882