Got my new CHUMBA EVO! Trick color too!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Got my new CHUMBA EVO! Trick color too!

I got a call from the good folks at CHUMBA today, letting me know the new EVO was shipping. I rode a demo EVO a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to get a hold of one for myself.

I was pretty set on getting a dark grey gunmetal color, but when I saw their new Green Mist color, I changed my mind real quick.

I still need a few more parts and then I'll be ready to start building it up. I'm so exicted. I can't wait! When the buildup starts, I won't hold back on the details .

Here are some initial pics. Check out the craftsmanship and the metal work. Trust me - it's much better looking in person.

ride hard take risks
    That is one sweet looking frame, looking forward to the ride report. Great job picking a awsome frame to build up.

locked - time out
    Very cool. Can't wait to see it built.

mtbr member
    Very nice! For those in Socal Chumba is have a demo day with the Bike Co. on Sunday.

You wont find a nicer, cooler guy than Ted T., he's the main man at Chumbie's.
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

mtbr member

Almost rollin'

Almost got her ready to roll. Just need to throw on the shifters and the rest of the brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

don't forget the pedals

or you won't get very far.

Custom User Title
    Nice bike!

With that color it should be called the Sherman. That thing looks like it can take a beating and laugh at you. Can't wait to hear the ride report.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Motion activated
    Wow, that thing looks sexy. Love the look of that retro gusset (my old Turner Afterburner had one of those, but with a whole drilled out)

What's that little machined piece that sits above the BB on the seat tube? Is it some kind of FD stop?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    What's that little machined piece that sits above the BB on the seat tube? Is it some kind of FD stop?
    Yeah, something like that. This bike requires an e-type FD and that machined piece is where you can bolt down the FD to so it's more stable.

A Real Winner.
    Drool. Can you bring it out to Michigan so I can try it out?
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

nerfherder

New question here. Horst?

Gorgeous bike, dubjay. I'm a similar shade of green with envy right now.

So, been wondering this for a while. Sure looks like horst links on the new Chumbas. Are they licensing from Specialized? Anyone have any thoughts or corrections?

/edit/

Here's the word from Nico Sunseri, Sales & Marketing Manager for Chumba Racing on the new EVO:

"The EVO utilizes the all new patent pending FCC suspension linkage. In a nutshell, this new linkage translates all terrain input into forward momentum...quite the step beyond just pedaling efficiency. Also, as described on our website, the frame is an integral part of the suspension. It may not be visible from the outside, but we are actually channeling suspension forces through the frame itself, making for a very unique riding experience."

http://www.feedthehabit.com/articles...humba-evo.html

And...

FORCE CHANNELING CENTRALIZATION TECHNOLOGY
    (Patent Pending)

http://www.chumbaracing.com/technology.shtml

Still looks like a horst to me so I'd love it if someone could explain the difference. Thanks.
    Last edited by scruffylooking; 05-25-2006 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    that is a nice build! why didnt they use a straight seat tube? Cool to be on something fresh off the design board! def let us know how she handles!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Evo has nice machining and I am sure if functions well, but I don't like how it looks. The rockers seem out of place.

Apr 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    The Evo has nice machining and I am sure if functions well, but I don't like how it looks. The rockers seem out of place.
    thats because they place the rockers on the downtube - i dont think any other manufacturer does that - i personally think its a classy looking execution for a unique design.

mtbr member

Boing!!!

Sorry Anyway I'm digging the actual horst link drop out arrangement (whatever they want to call it) Now that Turner has abandoned the HL this gives me a nice botique frame option made less than 10 miles from my house for less than Turner$$$. Looks kinda like the old Intense rear end off the SLX to me. Sadly I'm fairly certain that the big red S is gonna go back on the Lawsuit warpath over the drop out pivot which in the HL/FSR patent is a pivot in front of and below the rear axle on the chain stay and rechecking the pics..... YUP thats where it's at. At least Mr Ellsworth will have a hard time getting to them even though the rocker path crosses the chainstay path in front of the front wheel (Instant center BS) it does so for different reasons . I want one but I prefer a strait seat tube and that kinked downtube used to make the rocker pivot work eliminated a bottle/ battery mount and increases standover while placing the rocker pivot for from cross bracing. Overall a nice looking ride with some small builder quirks. MUST TEST RIDE.
    Last edited by slowrider; 05-26-2006 at 02:44 AM.

not so super...
    Nice!

I see that they went with a 2" stroke shock. If you are 200+ pounds the DHX-Air might not be the best choice on a 3:1 bike. Is there a shock option?
    Nothing to see here.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    That is a beautiful bike *drool*
    what do you think the total priced ended up being?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking

/edit/

Here's the word from Nico Sunseri, Sales & Marketing Manager for Chumba Racing on the new EVO:

"The EVO utilizes the all new patent pending FCC suspension linkage. In a nutshell, this new linkage translates all terrain input into forward momentum...quite the step beyond just pedaling efficiency. Also, as described on our website, the frame is an integral part of the suspension. It may not be visible from the outside, but we are actually channeling suspension forces through the frame itself, making for a very unique riding experience."

And...

FORCE CHANNELING CENTRALIZATION TECHNOLOGY
    (Patent Pending)
    Looks like Nico Sunseri is full of BS to me. Interesting bike, but that rocker arrangement sure is strange. Looks like it would be prone to lozenging with that forward pivot point. Or is there another linkage hidden between the rocker and seat tube to keep it from bending?

Apr 2006

Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    Looks like Nico Sunseri is full of BS to me. Interesting bike, but that rocker arrangement sure is strange. Looks like it would be prone to lozenging with that forward pivot point. Or is there another linkage hidden between the rocker and seat tube to keep it from bending?
    nah it doesnt flex at all...demo'ed one..u should too

not so super...
    any problems with the Shimano derailleur smacking that CS pivot like the old Specialized bikes?
    Nothing to see here.

Gear Whore
    Got to ride it yet? I wanna know how it compares to other bikes you have ridden.

mtbr member

Still waiting for brakes :(

I didn't get a chance to ride it yet. It's like..98% ready. I have everything but the brakes installed.

I ordered some adapters and a new rotor from Magura so I could use them with the post mount AM1. I had requested overnight shipping, but they shipped them UPS ground instead

The parts supposedly should be here by Thursday, so I should be able to get some time on the bike by this weekend. I'll post final pics and the build list as well.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Nice!

I see that they went with a 2" stroke shock. If you are 200+ pounds the DHX-Air might not be the best choice on a 3:1 bike. Is there a shock option?

I got one of thse baby too and I'm 210lb and almost 250 with gear and food for the long ride. The shock felt really nice and plush even though it's a 3-1 ratio. I do sag around 2.5 inches with 200ish psi in the shock but still pedals really firm and smooooth over rocks and bumps...the rear tracks really well over loose stuff especially nice around loose corners. Chumba rocks and hand made here in OC!

mtbr member

Ready to ride!

I finally got her ready to hit the trails.

I've only been around the block so far. The rear suspension feels great. I have the shock at about 225 and the booster thingy around 150. Pedals great with a very solid feel.

The AM1 seems like it needs a little break-in or something. There's quite a bit of stiction with it. I have the positive air around 35 which is supposedly a bit low for my weight (~185lbs), but anything more and it doesn't even sag. Hopefully it'll fix itself after a few rides.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    you set that bike up bomb proof and i can just imagine it's not that heavier or bad of a climber
    let us know how you love it when you really test it

mtbr member
    Very sick bike!. Nice job on building it.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member

Ride Report!

This past Saturday, I got a chance to take my CHUMBA EVO out on some dirt for the first time. The only chance I had to dial in the suspension was by riding around the block, and surprisingly, the settings were close.

Initial Break-in
    For the initial break-in ride, I headed to Whiting Ranch. We did the usual loop, with an added out/back to Vista. While we were on Cactus, we ran into a big rattler. After some rock throwing, we decided it be best if we just went around, so we did some more climbing up to Vulture View to avoid a snake attack. I think you can actually see this in the GPS overlay below

As far as climbing goes, the EVO shines. The pedaling efficiency is definitely better than my old Enduro. I got the suspension set to a point where pedaling bob was non-existent. Even with quick sprints uphill in the middle chainring, the bob was very minimal. These middle chainring bursts on the Enduro would result in some moaning and popping from the FSR rear end. The EVO is definitely laterally stiffer, even to the point where it seems like you can pedal one extra gear higher since you're not losing power and efficiency to a flexy rear end.

One thing that didn't shine on my first ride was the WTB Weirwolf 2.3 front tire and the settings on the Marzocchi AM1. The Weirwolf was squirly and loose. Every corner felt like it was filled with gravel. I had set up the AM1 with about 40psi in the positive air chamber, which is what the manual recommended for my weight (~180 lbs). I couldn't get the fork to sag consistently. With the TST setting on AM, the compression seemed so high, I couldn't get the fork to budge on anything except the biggest bumps. The AM1's saving grace was ETA - that sure helps a lot on the climbs.

So combine a loose tire, an inactive fork and brakes that were still bedding in, and you get a guy on a brand new bike babying it down singletrack. Well, on the bright side, the frame seems dialed in.

Afternoon Test & Tune
    After I get home, the first thing I do is take off the Weirwolf and replace it with my favorite So Cal tire - the WTB 2.4 Mutano Raptor. I did some searching on MTBR and it seems that others with an AM1 ran substantially lower pressures than what the manual stated. So I dropped the positive air all the way down to 20psi. Ah finally! The fork is sagging. There is still a bit of stiction so I lubed up the stanchions in hopes of getting this broken in faster.

So I wait out the heat - (man, it was warm in So Cal this weekend) and I head out to Aliso.

I went in through the Canyon Vistas entrance. Up Cholla - down Lynx - up Cholla - down Rock-it. The Mutano Raptor was 100x better than the Weirwolf. Never again! (expect to see the WW on Ebay soon )

The fork was much better too! I realized for now, I may need to leave TST in DH mode to make it active like I wanted. For those of you who are familiar, there's a washboard section at the top of Rock-it. The EVO with the AM1's newly found settings smoothed that part out quite nicely. On my Enduro, that section is like riding an angry bull.

Conclusion
    With 2 rides under my belt, I can say that I'm a happy guy. The CHUMBA EVO outperformed all of my expectations. It's a tad heavier and has more travel than my Enduro, yet it climbs better. And on the downhills, it's no comparison. It tracks so much better and much more predictable than my Enduro ever did. You know how sometimes, it takes a little while to get used to a bike? No problem here. I felt right at home.

The only thing that would make me happier is if the fork finishes breaking in. There's still some stiction.

If any of you guys are in So Cal and wants to pedal this bike around, let me know and we can arrange something.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Give that AM1 a 100 or so miles to break in and she will be a smooth as butter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    that was the real suspension test, Rock-it lol, and it does sound like a good climber and yea the bike still wants to be broken in all the way and the fork will shine
    too bad you didn't like those weirwolves, people either love them or hate them
    thanks for the review

Aug 2004
    sick review, and sick bike..

mtbr member
    awsome review (and bike, btw).

tch
    mtbr member
    What GPS system are you using and how did you overlay the ride into Google Earth? That is cool . . . and your bike is sweet as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tch
    What GPS system are you using and how did you overlay the ride into Google Earth? That is cool . . . and your bike is sweet as well.
    I'm using a Garmin Edge 305 - but I think you should be able to do it with just about any GPS.

I'm using Sport Tracks to log my activities. It's freeware but donations are welcome. They have an Export to Google Earth function.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

mtbr member
    May 2004

some q's

hi,

how did it climb up cholla?? and how''s the standover height? and what does your bike weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flying tonkatsu
    hi,

how did it climb up cholla?? and how''s the standover height? and what does your bike weight?
    It climbs up Cholla great. I usually end up dropping the fork a bit to keep the front end down on some of the steeper turns. Since I got the EVO in June, I've climbed about 80,000 ft over 620 miles.

I'm 5'10ish with a 30in inseam on a M/L EVO. I only have about 1-2 inches of clearance over the top tube.

The last time I weighed it on one of those digital fish scales, it came in at 32lbs 10oz.

If you're in the OC area, you can give the guys at Chumba a call and see if they can set you up with a demo. Or if you happen to run into me somewhere, feel free to flag me down to take a quick test ride.

nerfherder
    I second that. I demo'd an Evo for a week and climbed Chumba like 4 or 5 times. When you step on it it squirts forward and up. My demo was kitted with a DUC32 with travel reduction (highly recommended) and XC WTB Mutano 2.4s. Both of which helped. But otherwise, the bike felt stiff (in a good way) up Cholla with gobs of traction.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mav duc32

hi,

how did you like the mav duc32?? sounds like you are familiar with terrain in laguna and aliso, would you say that the fork is strong enough or stiff enough for runs like 'tna' (laguna ridge trail i.e. rock drop off at the bottom or the top) or 'modern art' (art school)?

thanks for your input...

nerfherder

Boing

hi,

how did you like the mav duc32?? sounds like you are familiar with terrain in laguna and aliso, would you say that the fork is strong enough or stiff enough for runs like 'tna' (laguna ridge trail i.e. rock drop off at the bottom or the top) or 'modern art' (art school)?

thanks for your input...
    I liked the DUC A-C on the EVO. I felt like it dialed the geometry in nicely. Other than that it felt like a pogo stick. Boing Boing. I didn't ride it on T&A. I think it'd hold up but it's a long legged light weight XC fork so I wouldn't recommend it for what you seem to be looking for.

If I got an Evo I'd go 36 TALAS, Z1, Pike, or Lyrik 2 Step depending on what I want to build the bike to do.
    Last edited by scruffylooking; 10-05-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Aug 2004
    i think the duc is okay if the oil levels are dialed in right, but yea any of the forks mentioned by scruffy are really nice

mtbr member
    May 2004

duc32

hi,

i don't mind tinkering with the oil levels and all but i'm wondering if the duc32 would be stiff enough or strong enough for agressive steep trails.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    hi,

i don't mind tinkering with the oil levels and all but i'm wondering if the duc32 would be stiff enough or strong enough for agressive steep trails.

IMHO if you are 175lb and below then it should be ok.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Aug 2004

hi,

for most trails it is okay, but when it gets really gnarly you do wish you had something stronger..

Members who have read this thread: 0