Got Dirt?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Got Dirt?

Sep 2004

Got Dirt?

WELL GUYS/GALS,

i was able to get the dream EVO on dirt finally. im somewhat sceptical about its climbing ability,then again this is the heaviest bike ive ever had plus my strength level has dropped since i was really sick there for a while.flu,strept, and a little scare on a biopsy that came up negative anyway.on the other end the efficiency of the bike to come down the trail is noteable, just sucked up evrything that i threw at it considering my body weight bombing down the trail.it was the first time i felt a rear end drift that didnt make my heart rate go wild.did a few table top jumps that got me really impressed with the suspension i had i was saved by a couple of bad landings i mean rough ones, i expeirience a nasty rubbing noise like nobbies on metalon one of the landings,cant tell from were it came from since i really havent inspected the bike since i got of the dirt and a creaking sound has developed,from were i cant tell yet.my suspicion is from the seat post area.overall I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!
    i have a couple of question.
    on the dhx, were the piggy back is mounted "reservoir" there are two threaded holes.it came with one tiny bolt to cover the one hole,the other one has no bolt/cover,is this how the shock comes or im missing something?and what are they for?
    how can you keep the psi. the same while unscrewing the hose? icant trust the pump i have ,any methods? maybe its time to buy a fox specific pump though i nowthere all aftermarket with special fox stickers...
    has anybody used compresors and tire guages to achive the right psi?

yup! my wife bought me a full face helmet after i got back from the trail.
    she said she saw this look on my face that told her that went fast coming down somewhre

so far so good.anybody with an EVO around clayton ca.?

thats right living legend
    Are you trying to say the tire buzzed the seatube? Sounds like you cracked the frame. I very highly doubt it though... but that's what it sounds like you discribed.

mtbr member
    Check your rear derailleur and rear brake cables. One of them might have rubbed the tire during compression.

I use a 3 inch rubber tube with zip ties through it that holds the cables on the ends (imagine a cross brace). This helps keep them in the right place during big hits. If you need a pic or something, let me know.

As for climbing - you may want to play around with your seat position a little. I moved mine up a bit and the bike feels like it climbs well. I've logged over 220k feet on my Evo since last June. What goes up must come down right?

Sep 2004

thax dubjay

ill take a look at that and i believe i saw that in one of th threads...send me a picture please i'd really appriciate it...

as far as the rear wheel BUZZING the seat tube i seariously dont think that is possible, maybe the tire hits the chainstay on the landing with the tire flex or the dee trax flexing and then again it could be the rear triangle flexing all together... im a true clydesdale after all... so nobody knows about the srews at the resevior mount?
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Check your rear derailleur and rear brake cables. One of them might have rubbed the tire during compression.

I use a 3 inch rubber tube with zip ties through it that holds the cables on the ends (imagine a cross brace). This helps keep them in the right place during big hits. If you need a pic or something, let me know.

As for climbing - you may want to play around with your seat position a little. I moved mine up a bit and the bike feels like it climbs well. I've logged over 220k feet on my Evo since last June. What goes up must come down right?

mtbr member
    I think I know what you are talking about with the resevior, but I don't think that both holes are threaded. I only have a small silver allen in the hole closest to the piggy back. I don't think the hole in front of that is threaded, but I could be wrong; there's some dirt in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Buzz or clunk

When I'm on my smallest cog with XTR rear derailleurs I noticed a clunking sound. It later turned out that the rubber cover of the RD had twisted around and had started to hit the chainstay metal to metal. I just twisted it back into place.

Members who have read this thread: 0