Ghetto XCL- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ghetto XCL

mtbr member

Ghetto XCL

Well, I finally got around to getting on board with all of you's and got my own XCL. Jason at Chumba Racing is Da'Man! He worked hard to get me a great setup. Right now I'm calling it my Ghetto bike, because I'm missing parts, but I still ride it.

It's a Large XCL with the Lyric U-Turn fork
    I scavanged parts of my old busted Trek Fuel EX7 and put on the LX cranks, Hayes HFX9 rear brake, the front hose was too short, and the XT RD. Currently, I'm using the limit screws on the F&RD to make it "rideable" around town. Haven't taken it out on the trails in this setup yet, but the parts should be here this week. Basically, I've just been riding it around town and showing it off to the local bike shop. It really draws a crowd. Notice the really clean setup on the handlebar!

Parts that are comming:
    XT Shadow RD
    Goodrich Brake hoses
    Jagwire shift cable
    8" Front rotor and brake adapter

I still need to order a 20mm TA front wheel. I am currently using on off my friend's bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    already looking good!

Trophy Husband
    Sweet bike! Looks like you have it in "Dirt Jumper" mode. No pesky front brake to get in the way of bar spins.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Sweet bike! Looks like you have it in "Dirt Jumper" mode. No pesky front brake to get in the way of bar spins.
    Yup. I already took it into Downtown Binghamton and rode some stair gaps and dropoff's less than 1'. Just wanted to test out the suspension, and get the adjustments dialed in.

mtbr member

Nearly complete

I spent a good part of Saturday at Chenango Point Cycles, in Binghamton NY. They provided the knowledge and I was the wrencher setting up the derailleurs and cutting the housing. I mounted the new Shadow RD, and it is sweet. Gets lots of attention from others. They sell Cannondale and Specialized XC bikes, but the XCL got lots of love from the guys. We weighed it and it's at 34.5# with the Lyric U-Turn fork, DHX air shock, and some heavy Dual Duty FR rims, with 2.5" Weirwolf's. Not light, but it won't brake like my last bike.

The problems started when I used Alligator brake hose to run to the Hayes HFX-9's. It didn't come with the correct connectors, so we "rigged" it. All I had to do was bleed it when I got home. I thought I was doing well, then one of the pistons blew out of the caliper, and I had bike jizz all over the place! The brake hose was a ***** to cut flush, and it looked purple in person, but grey on the site.

Now, I've given up on trying to salvage the Hayes off my old bike, and just ordered some Formula Oro K18's with the 200mm rotor. Once that's installed, I should be in business.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    so.. did you install the k18s?

final build pics?

mtbr member

K18's are great

Actually, I should say that the K18 is great. I have one on the front, and the Hayes still on the rear. The Formula brake lever feels way better with respect to braking. Only negative is that there isn't much room between the lever and the trigger shifter, so I have to wiggle my index finger through to make the downshift to the granny. It's not that big a deal for the FD, but that might be pretty anoying on the RD.

The Formula has a banjo bolt to attach to the caliper, so you can adjust the hose angle so suit the brake position. I also noticed that there is a spring to help push the pads back off the rotor, like on a car caliper, so there is no drag. Very nice touch.

I am loving the XCL, and she currently weighs 34.25# on a hanging shop scale. It's definately heavier than the Fuel EX7, but it is far more confidence inspiring. Yesterday, we went to a local ski resort (not open to bikes), but I am a ski patroller there, so I know my way around. We had to pedal up the beast, and I make it without stopping. I just cranked down on the Lyric to it's lowest setting (115mm). It probably would have been easier on the Trek, but not as much fun on the way down. I twisted the fork back up to 160mm, and we bombed a black diamond run in tall grass (couldn't see the ground surface...lots of gopher holes) and the bike did great. I didn't know that I was going that much faster than my buddies until I got to the bottom, and they were still 1/3 up the hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0