Geared Monocog Flites

Printable View

• 04-11-2015
    Hudnut
    1 Attachment(s)
    Geared Monocog Flights
    I'm looking to switch my monocog flite from SS to 1x10. I'm good with how to do it but I'm curious to see anyone elses builds. let's see them.
    Attachment 980383
  • 05-04-2015
    Hudnut
    Well no takers? Here's my "MultiCog" flight. Easton xc one wheels. 1x10 with raceface and x7.
  • 05-19-2015
    turnsfast
    Looks great! I've been wanting to do this with my '08. What hanger did you use? How's it working? Any problems?
  • 05-19-2015
    Hudnut
    1 Attachment(s)
    It rides great. No rigging or finagling was required. Still nice and quiet due to the clutch derailleur. You're able to fully adjust the wheelbase so it's really snappy with the tire tucked right up to the seat tube. Here's the dropout and hanger.
    Attachment 989738
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • 05-19-2015
    turnsfast
    Awesome! Thanks for the link. I was looking at the DMR chain tug with hanger and seeing mixed reviews. And it's more expensive.

I'll post mine when I get it all set up.
  • 08-13-2015
    Flash
    Hey Jeff, do you know if that dropout will work on a 2013?
  • 08-14-2015
    Hudnut
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Hey Jeff, do you know if that dropout will work on a 2013?

I don't think the design ever changed so yes.
  • 08-14-2015
    Flash
    Cool thanks. BTW, this is xcrdr.
  • 08-14-2015
    Hudnut
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Cool thanks. BTW, this is xcrdr.

Ha. We cover all corners of the Internet!
  • 08-14-2015
    Flash
    Yes we do! I keep watching your Strava. It's getting harder to keep up with you kids! LOL
  • 10-30-2015
    patrex
    2 Attachment(s)
    Monocog Geared
    My old Setup:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/re...up-649120.html

New(ish) Setup:

Attachment 1025520Attachment 1025521

Sram X7 9-speed all the way!
  • 02-27-2016
    AlexCase
    4 Attachment(s)
    Definitely Late to the thread.
    A little late. But found the title and figured I'd add in my build. Took it all a step further and made it a geared thru-axle'd monocog.
  • 03-14-2016
    DudeDah
    Howdy folks does ANYONE have an extra or know a good resource for finding the slider der/hanger dropout for a Monocog? They seem to be out of supply EVERYWHERE right now...
  • 03-14-2016
    AlexCase
    Quick Release Right? I'm pretty sure I still have the old QR dropouts from before I did the 142x12 conversion. I can take a look around my shop when I'm back at work tomorrow and let you know.
  • 03-14-2016
    DudeDah
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexCase View Post
    Quick Release Right? I'm pretty sure I still have the old QR dropouts from before I did the 142x12 conversion. I can take a look around my shop when I'm back at work tomorrow and let you know.

Yep, please have a look and let me know what you find. THX!
  • 03-18-2016
    AlexCase
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeDah View Post
    Yep, please have a look and let me know what you find. THX!

Hey Bud, Found it! Just send me a personal message and we can work something out.
  • 04-25-2016
    Kjcdesignz
    Hey Alex,

Can you explain how you converted yours to through axel? Also what fork is that? I have a Flight and Ive been looking at "other" bikes for the last few months. Actually demo'ed the entire Santa Cruz lineup, but my finances have shift forcing me to get creative with what I've got. I inherited an old pair of 29er tubeless ready rims that are already set up on through axel hubs. If I can convert the bike easily, i can preserve my current SS set up. I wish I could slacken the HA a few degrees to be able to handle the terrain I plan to be putting this bike through.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Keith
  • 04-25-2016
    AlexCase
    Good Morning Bud!

So, rear conversion is actually pretty simple. Just gotta buy these guys: Paragon Machine Works Thru axle sliding dropouts. May want to shoot them a call to just verify that those two Are the exact ones you want just to be sure, they are super helpful guys over there.

www.paragonmachineworks.com - B4037RightSideInsertforFlatFlangedSlidingDropoutDT Swiss12mmSkewerHanger

www.paragonmachineworks.com - B4027LeftSideInsertforFlatFlangedSlidingDropoutShi manoDTSwiss12mmSkewerPostMount160Rotor

Now, fork is a completely different issue. Also comes down to how much money you want to spend on that bike. You cannot buy that fork anywhere. In fact, you cannot buy any "high end" 29er forks anymore with 15mm thru axles that have more than 100mm of travel.... with a straight 1 1/8 inch steerer. Now, there is I believe 1 that you could buy, it would be the x-fusion slide RL2. However, its a pretty heavy low end fork. Also there are a couple options if you don't get the thru axle and I believe the best you could get would probably be the Manitou Marvel Comp 120mm with the standard 9mm QR. But the main limiting factor is the 1 1/8 headtube which is essentially dead in the mountain bike world. So the industry stopped making forks with that standard a while back when the tapered stuff started to take over.

However, I will now explain how/what my fork is. First off, I am a professional mechanic working out of a shop in Northern New Jersey, so If you are anywhere on the East Coast I could offer this service to you. However, any good LBS should be able to do this for you as well. That is a 120mm Rockshox SID/Revalation Hybrid. Basically, I bought everything in pieces and built the fork. Because, Rockshox still does sell these things piece by piece. So, I buy the CSU (Uppers) with 120mm legs, lowers, air spring assembly, damper.... etc. Really Its not much different from buying a fork retail price, lets say that with the damper and such, my built up fork would probably retail for roughly $800 give or take. And you'd just add on the labor for a fork build. Unless you have prior experience with this type of stuff, I wouldn't really recommend trying this as a DIY thing at home though. Beyond the fact that I'm not even sure where you'd get all those parts without being in a bike shop, There is alot going on and many delicate expensive parts, wouldn't want to mess up.

With all that said, I'm not sure how much you love that frame but I can tell you this, that thing absolutely shreds in a way that it never had before. That extra travel just takes it to another level of performance/fun. I found myself launching off of trail features I would have never done with a 100mm fork. Anyway, If you have any other questions I'm glad to help you out man.
  • 04-26-2016
    Kjcdesignz
    Hey Alex,

Thanks for the info and the links on the drop outs. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do just yet. Fact is, what I'm hoping to do is to expand my reach with the Cog while I continue to save for the next bike. I'm not planning to dump the Cog when I finally do get the next so I was thinking that a nice 1x10 set up would help. I'm glad they have the sliding/replaceable drop outs because I'd want to possibly be able to switch it back to SS at some point to continue to use it for training.

On the other end of the bike, I could go rigid on one of those Ritchy forks to see what its like saving weight, but some more travel and some slackness would also help me get to the point where I might tackle some of the features and steeps at higher speeds. I totally opened Pandoras box with demoing new full squish/geared bikes. I had each of them on loan for a week and I feel ruined. lol The same old trails will never be the same again.

Bravo on the fork tho!... Love what you've done to piece it together. I had been wondering if there were any older forks out there that were upgradable or modifiable to reach 140mm? As far as your offer to help, I'd be interested to know if there is even a possibility to build a similar RockShox with 140mm of travel just like you've done? Is it crazy to go higher than 120? I was thinking the higher I go, the more I gain in BB clearance and HA slackness to open it up to a little more of a rowdy type of fun!
  • 04-26-2016
    AlexCase
    Well to answer your questions first off there are a couple options that already exist. Both by X-fusion.

X Fusion Slide RL2 Forks 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles

X Fusion Trace RL2 Forks 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles

And yes, if you wanted to do a similar build to mine, It is definitely possible in 120, 130-140 starts to pose issues with part availability since we would actually have to look into older CSU's (Crown/Steerer/Uppertube Assembly). With 120 you still have access to 2016 parts by using the SID CSU's and then building the rest around it. Since the SID/REBA forks use the same CSU as the RCT3/RLT SID with the 15mm lowers. Anyway, that would just mean you'd have to try it using older Revalation CSU's.

However I'm not really sure how far I'd want to push it with travel on the frame. With a 71 degree frame head angle, you'd definitely be pushing into an area not alot of people have. Personally I'd just think you'd be putting alot of stress on that joint especially if you do start using it to hit some trail features and jumps with speed. My advice would be to stick with the 120mm travel and keep the redline as your good all rounder "xc/trail" hardtail. Thats what it serves for me. Save the 140 travel to your future full suspension bike with a 67-68 degree head angle and tapered headtube.
  • 05-21-2016
    the one ring
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeDah View Post
    Howdy folks does ANYONE have an extra or know a good resource for finding the slider der/hanger dropout for a Monocog? They seem to be out of supply EVERYWHERE right now...

I was just researching how to to this for my '08 'cog (not Flite). I will probably not go this route after all, but:

DMR Chain Tugs & Mech Hanger | Chain Reaction Cycles

DMR Chain Tugs Chain Tensioner with Derailleur Hanger, 10mm Black Pair in Tree Fort Bikes Axle/Chain Tensioner

2nd link: out of stock, but the Q&A and Reviews indicate that this will work for a Monocog.

Cheers.
  • 06-15-2016
    Kjcdesignz
    Hey Alex, are your through axle drop outs the same ones in the Paragon Machine Works links? I ordered those and after fitting them into my frame, I realized that they were not a perfect fit. I chose to fabricate some custom metal shims to tighten them in, but after a few rides, things have loosened up. What solution did you come up with the get these drop outs to work?

Thanks! -Keith
  • 10-12-2016
    MinesPunk
    Anyone here try to convert their Monocog Flite to a Monstercross or Commuter bike? I have an old Sram X9 setup on my 2009 Titus El Guapo that I would like to put onto the monocog flite, I think I would end up with a 1x9 drivetrain, will use a spare Shimano SLX crank from the same timeframe.

The El Guapo will get a nicer rebuild for All Mountain riding out west while the Monocog Flite is for kid hauling duties on dirt roads in Michigan. I know I will need to get the paragon dropouts for the conversion, might even drill and tap some holes to use a rack on it.

Looking at going to a different bar set up like an On One Midge, would love to use a Jones H-Bar but I need to go with something more affordable.

Really appreciate the info on here, will try to convert it to a through axle and find some affordable stiffer wheels with higher engagement hubs and tubeless compatibility while I'm at it. If anyone has some parts for this they're willing to sell let me know, I'm interested.