Fresh EVO reviews- Mtbr.com
    locked - time out

Fresh EVO reviews

threadjackers!!!!!
    Last edited by TIMBERRR; 12-21-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Jun 2004
    It's pretty much bullet-proof. The one thing that you can't beat on the Evo is the fact that it's incredibly stiff and, given the way they build the thing, I don't think that's going to change over time.

I've seen several that have a significant number of miles on them and none of them seem to have any issues.

Sep 2004

clydesdale?

anybody riden the evo who is 230+ - 240 lbs.? will the EVO not flex with that load?

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdy lopez
    anybody riden the evo who is 230+ - 240 lbs.? will the EVO not flex with that load?
    My guess is that it could handle that load easily. The rear end design of the Evo is absolutely tank-like (in a good way) and should be able to accommodate larger riders much better than will the average rig.

mtbr member
    I've ridden with people who are 220lbs on our EVOs...didn't see any issues..
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

... and if we just ... First ride on the EVO

It was my first ride on my EVO today. I did 40 kms on uphill,flat, technical singletrack and technical downhill and it was GREAT!

My complete build came in at 31 lbs and 12 ounces using a LIRIK fork. I was pleasantly surprised because I had 34 lbs floating around in my head before I weighed it.

My initial obeservations.

The second I sat on my saddle the plushness of the bike just floored me. SOFA!

The EVO is a very decent climber. I'm coming from an Epiphany that weighs 28.5 lbs and so at this point that's my point of comparison. I was afraid that it might be a tank to climb but it was really well behaved. My front end did not bob up as I pedaled up and with continuous steady effort it just kept on climbing with not much more effort than my Epiphany. If my memory serves me well the EVO climbs just like the MOMENT. It won't win you XC races but it will get you up with more reserve energy to race down!

On flats and single track the EVO turned, swerved and climbed up and down like the last mohican running to save his dame. It was absolutely sweet. There were points when I lost my line but this was due more to the difference in riding position which I still have to learn and adapt to.

The difference of the ride downhill was just night and day compared to my previous bikes. The EVO just soaked up everything down our UPAK trail. This was a trail that after the recent months' rains, the riders including myself, complained that it was just too darn dangerous to ride at a fast clip and when you got down your hands would hurt from all the little rocks your 6" fork would have to go through. Well the EVO rode down at a fast clip, weaving left and right and when I got down that previously familiar soreness in the hands was not there at all. My buddy in his Epiphany far behind me said the EVO's swingarm was dancing the boogie all the way down over all the rocks.

More to follow as I log in more miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    So I have read just about every review of initial impressions. Do any of you have some up to date reviews now that the bike is broke in and got some time on it?
    Any flex isues? Bearings holding up? etc.

Thanks.
    I currently have 820 miles with 124,000 ft of climbing logged on my Evo (had it since June 06). No flex issues or any issues with the bearings.

I did manage to break a derailleur hanger though, but that was due to a bearing in my Hadley hub seizing up which didn't allow the freewheel to function correctly.

The DHX-A developed some sort of weird suction noise two weeks ago, but that was fixed with an overhaul - which I learned should be done every 40 hours of riding (oops).

I've gone through a set of tires, 2 sets of brake pads, a chain and a rear derailleur (due to hanger incident) and the frame still feels as solid as it did the first day I got it. I love the way it feels over the rough stuff. It's inspires enough confidence to get me in trouble.

mtbr member
    my evo still feels as tight as the day I built her up. no squeaks or new loose parts, and I'm still really stoked on the bike. the only reliability issue I've had is with the derailleur hanger. I think the design of the hanger is inherently weak. there is no strength to the thing when it's pulled out, away from the wheel.
    I have a bb with a 118mm spindle in it, which pushes my chainline out a bit wider. I've been frequently bending hangers outward, just a tiny bit, but enough to affect shifting. I have a sneaking suspicion that the wide chainline is the reason. So I reccomend setting up the bike with the a 50mm chainline and going with saint/xt or some such integrated bb design.
    I love my evo and it continually gives me the confidence to push myself hard, so it's making me a much better rider.

to thidy lopez: I'm about 245lbs these days with riding gear and water. the evo has no problem with my weight. the dhx air has performed beautifully, though I'm thinking of getting a dhx coil. I'd like a wee bit firmer rear end, and though I've never felt the rear shock bottom out, I'm using all my rear travel on pretty small hits and drops. the pike I have on the front is nice too, but I definitly need to change the springs out for stiffer ones (I have the standard springs).
    Last edited by hardway; 12-16-2006 at 07:31 AM.

locked - time out
    Great updates. Keep em commin.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Mine has around 500 miles and 80k ft of climbing. Still feel like the day I got it. Silky smooth yet super stiff rear end, bears feel new still.

Iím 210lbs and 6ft tall so I kinda fall into the clyde category. The EVO took the abuse of my weight with no problem. If anyone is heavier than me I think a coil shock might be better since there is a air pressure limit on the DHX-A and Iím right at that limit.

The EVO can handle far better and far nastier stuff than I ever dare to try.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Sep 2004

well thanks

so coil will do it huh? how will you compare the evo to the nomad and the 6.6 im re getting to the point of purchasing one still cant decide. by the way duke, thanks for that ebay link with that used evo just cant trust used stuff that i cant see on hand

ride on
    louie

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    so coil will do it huh? how will you compare the evo to the nomad and the 6.6 im re getting to the point of purchasing one still cant decide. by the way duke, thanks for that ebay link with that used evo just cant trust used stuff that i cant see on hand

ride on
    louie

Hi Louie

I'd go for coil if I got any heavier plus it'd be more plush

As deciding on a big purchase like this I can only tell you why I got the EVO over others like nomad and 6.6. After riding and test riding bunch of different bike in different configuration(including the nomad) I felt EVO pedaled the best, feels more lively, handled really nature and I felt most comfortable on it. When I first jumped on one it felt like I owned the bike for a long time.

But everyone's riding style and preference is different so it's always best to ride all of them before deciding. I know that could be hard but EVO got my vote.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No reliability issues with my Evo. It is a solid rig. I was around 225-235lbs with gear this summer and never detected any noticeable flex on my Evo. I got out on some 20-30km rides with lots of climbing and technical terrain and the Evo performed nicely. The Evo is in another class compared to most of the other 6" trail bikes when it comes to descending. Literally. It is very intuitive on technical dh and corners. This is probably why some guys are racing dh with thier Evos. I would get the coil over the DHX air next time. The air is very plush and uses all of its travel unless it is set up super firm. Not the best shock for heavier dudes.

The Evo pedals very efficiently and this is evident on the flats. Even while standing, the shock movement is minimal. The suspension design was well thought out.What I have not gotten used to is the seat tube angle. I have my seat all the way forward and I still find that my pedal stroke does not feel right (slightly forward still). I am only 5'10" and can compensate somewhat, but I am still not totally comfortable while climbing. I couldn't own an Evo if I was any taller because I would be positioned too far back on the bike.(just my opinion) With that said, I still get up the hills and have been impressed while climbing technical terrain. I sometimes rub my calf and foot on the rear chain stay as well. Another nit pick is the stand over height. I have shorter legs and find it is a bit tight.

I still think the Evo is a very good bike overall and recommend it for riders that want a strong do anything type of bike.
    Last edited by ronny; 12-17-2006 at 01:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just a quick question, I have the ame feeling on my EVO about the seat angle but its strange that I don't feel that its harder to climb because of this. Also, I checked on my epiphany and its also true that as I raise my seatpost the distance to the stem also changes dramatically.

I'll need more time on my EVO to really see whether the seat angle issue has some drawbacks or its just a difference in riding position.

Also, since the smallest frame is a Small / Medium frame the standover height is really a bit tight especially for smaller riders.

But, the EVO is just such a sweet ride!

Sep 2004

well thanks

thanks guys, so were do i go to try this evo thats made me sleepless for a long time now i live up in clayton the bay area .
    does anybody have an 06 for sale?
    can i go directly to chumba for 06's?
    maybe they will have a clearance soon?
    im willing to drive to SoCal to purchase one if its new!
    i think im loossing it.....my life has never been the same since i got back to mountain biking...now evo made it really bad....

hahahaha

agin thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!
    RIDE ON

mtbr member
    thirdy, I got mine from adrenaline bikes online, they may have '06 evos left. DirtDad on these forums works at comcycle.com, they sell the evos as well. If you're going to socal, you might as well try to hook up a tour of chumba, I hear they're pretty good about that sort of thing.

[email protected]
    [email protected]

those are the ones I have, if you'd like to try an evo, I live in the north bay. PM me and we could possibly set up a time for you to take a spin on mine.

Sep 2004

Thanx

hardway,thanx man ill check em out, if i could get one for 1500 new mailed out the door
    then the wife will be kool...you have one of these? (wife)

ride on !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 2004

awesome info!!!!!!!

this is good news to me cuz imm within that weight range and coming down
    thanx man

ride on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    yep, I sure do. she wasn't too stoked on me dropping that kind of coin on a bike, but she knows I get my moneys worth out of it, so what else can you ask for (I also had to buy her a new bike, but luckily she has cheaper tastes than I do in THIS instance)?

mtbr member
    there's a new one on ebay right now with a "buy it now" price of $1420. i'm not the seller, just trying to help out.

Sep 2004

strange

bikeage,thanx for the tip, called the guy and all but i was wondering if it is a small med or med/large and why is that rocker painted?can anybody check on that? i thought that rocker was just bare,most that i see are not painted,could this frame be an 05?and its posted as chumba wumba evo. i want it!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone????????????duke??????????????????alan?????? ??hrdway?????????

mtbr member
    bikeage,thanx for the tip, called the guy and all but i was wondering if it is a small med or med/large and why is that rocker painted?can anybody check on that? i thought that rocker was just bare,most that i see are not painted,could this frame be an 05?and its posted as chumba wumba evo. i want it!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone????????????duke??????????????????alan?????? ??hrdway?????????
    It couldn't be an 05 - the Evo was just released June 06. It looks like the bellcranks are anodized, not painted. I know Chumba did that with some of the bellcranks on the XCLs, they may have thrown these in with that batch.

mtbr member
    I can't quite tell, as the pics are pretty crappy, but it looks like it has the pin stripe chumba graphics. those were released later in '06. I've never seen the anodized suspension parts from chumba, but you could try emailing chumba and asking.
    as for the sizing, you're going to have to make him specify what it is. the difference in top tube length is a half inch (23" Vs 23.5" for the m/l), so you could have him measure that and tell you. that's a sweet price on an evo frame, WELL worth it if it's legit and fits you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I can't quite tell, as the pics are pretty crappy, but it looks like it has the pin stripe chumba graphics. those were released later in '06. I've never seen the anodized suspension parts from chumba, but you could try emailing chumba and asking.
    as for the sizing, you're going to have to make him specify what it is. the difference in top tube length is a half inch (23" Vs 23.5" for the m/l), so you could have him measure that and tell you. that's a sweet price on an evo frame, WELL worth it if it's legit and fits you.
    I'm pretty sure the size is a M/L - the S/M doesn't come with a headtube gusset.

mtbr member
    ahhhh, good info, I didn't know that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    It couldn't be an 05 - the Evo was just released June 06. It looks like the bellcranks are anodized, not painted. I know Chumba did that with some of the bellcranks on the XCLs, they may have thrown these in with that batch.
    i remember alan from chumba mentioning that the bellcranks were gonna be anodized. the finish holds up better and you won't have to polish them. the bellcranks on my XCL are anodized as well.

Sep 2004

too big then

if its a m/l then its too big for me then.
    ill give him a call tom.
    thanx guys
    back tosquare one
    maybe ill just get the new specialized SX TRAIL
    or a nomad
    just frustrated.................

Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I'm pretty sure the size is a M/L - the S/M doesn't come with a headtube gusset.

the guy said it had 21.5 in. on the top tube, so did he measure it wrong?

any body?

Made in China
    Jan 2006

any body?
    Hey Lopez

I think it's time to get it straight from the horses mouth. Call Chumba and ask them, I thought all EVO had gussets.

So Chumba should have most accurate information.

On their website the difference between the 2 sizes is only 1.2 inch.

mtbr member

any body?
    He's probably measuring the actual top tube length and not the effective top tube length.

See here for details:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=221493
    Last edited by dubjay; 12-22-2006 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    duke777, here's a pic of the small frame w/o the front gussets. I had never noticed that either until dubjay pointed it out.
    don't get too excited either, thirdy; if you read the fine print the frame for sale is a m/l.

http://store.thebackcountry.net/cart...roductid=22248

Sep 2004

Im An Idiot!!!!!!!yes!!!!!!!!!!

Well I Made A Big Booboo

I Bought A Frame That I Was Told That Was A S/m And I Guess I Got Sold.......

So, Evrybody Pls. Teel Me What A Big Dummy I Am And When You're All Done Tell Me What I Should Do..........

mtbr member
    return it? how tall are you, what is your inseam?

Sep 2004

me?

im 5'9''

inseam?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    im 5'9''

inseam?

The med/large is probably too big for you. I am 5'10" with a 30/31" inseam and my nards touch the tt when straddling the bike.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    im 5'9''

inseam?

Dubjay is close to your measurement but he is riding a M/L.

I'd throw some parts on it and try it. Also the stand over depends on the fork, a Marz am1 will make it 1/2 inch higher. Try a 145mm fork like manitou they have fairly low AC height. On this frame I'd stay away from marz forks because of high AC height unless you don't mind it. A pike, duc32 or a nixon will make the EVO very trail like. And make your evo climb and nutz friendly. It's all about how you set your bike up.

again the difference between the 2 sizes are pretty small, if you can get your setup right I don't think it won't be too big of a deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi Thirdy,

My S/M frame does have gussets in front. I got my frame just this December. You might want to check the specs of your frame. It might actually be a S/M. The frame is really quite tall and my standover clearance on my EVO is practically nill.

Tony

Sep 2004

New question here. we'll see.............

thanks evrybody!!!!!!!

ill wait til it gets to me and measure everything i checked the specsat the chumba web and .5 of an inch is not that much really of a diff. the standover height was not specified.
    the frame should get here in acouple of days,i hope tings come out favorable see i seldom buy stuff from e-bay. keep the replies comming they all come in handy

thanx!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 w/ a 32" inseam, and the M/L evo fits me great. The bike feels pretty compact though. I think the standover is the only place you might have trouble with the larger frame. I don't have much clearance between my sack and the top tube.
    As duke777 says, throw some parts on that biatch and see how she feels. Keep us posted on the progress, eh?

Sep 2004

fox rc2 36 talas?

Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    Dubjay is close to your measurement but he is riding a M/L.

I'd throw some parts on it and try it. Also the stand over depends on the fork, a Marz am1 will make it 1/2 inch higher. Try a 145mm fork like manitou they have fairly low AC height. On this frame I'd stay away from marz forks because of high AC height unless you don't mind it. A pike, duc32 or a nixon will make the EVO very trail like. And make your evo climb and nutz friendly. It's all about how you set your bike up.

again the difference between the 2 sizes are pretty small, if you can get your setup right I don't think it won't be too big of a deal.

what about this fork?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    what about this fork?

07 or 06?

07 is 10mm taller because of the travel increase.

It would be really nice but since we are concerned about TT height it may not work as well.

But very nice fork to put on.

How much DH/FR stuff do you do? Because if you are just doing regular trail stuff then a 07 talas 145mm or a pike would work well and lower the TT.

Sep 2004

its here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonycan, you were right!!!!!!!!!!!
    measured everything and it seems like everything points to s/m
    the toptube total length is 23 in.
    the tt effective length is 21.5
    the headtube length is 5 in.

so, it all trurned out favorable.
    now the fun begins.
    ill keep you guys up dated
    thnkyou for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rideon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    hey thirdy, when you get her built up, start another thread with pics and thoughts on the bike.

MAKE SURE you get the sag set up on that dhx air correctly too, the rear end feels like a bowl of slop if you don't have enough air in there. If you weigh over 200lbs w/gear and agua, put the full 300psi in for sure.
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Sep 2004

07 talas rc2 36

came accross this fork used very clean w/ the steerer cut to almost 8 inches.
    good enought for EVO with 5" ht?

'

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    came accross this fork used very clean w/ the steerer cut to almost 8 inches.
    good enought for EVO with 5" ht?

'
    It's a great fork for the frame but only thing that raise any concern is the TT height for you. But if you can live with it then I would say go for it.

It's a great fork!

Sep 2004

Hope its done

Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    hey thirdy, when you get her built up, start another thread with pics and thoughts on the bike.

MAKE SURE you get the sag set up on that dhx air correctly too, the rear end feels like a bowl of slop if you don't have enough air in there. If you weigh over 200lbs w/gear and agua, put the full 300psi in for sure.
    CONGRATULATIONS!

well,hardway?
    shes done. just rode it round the house.ive been down the past couple of weeks with the flu, the strept throat.just freakin sick.....lost12 lbs. in the process. i just watched my parts trickle in and couldn't do too much...but now she's done............now i have to figure out how to post darn pictures on this forum, somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 2004
    well,hardway?
    shes done. just rode it round the house.ive been down the past couple of weeks with the flu, the strept throat.just freakin sick.....lost12 lbs. in the process. i just watched my parts trickle in and couldn't do too much...but now she's done............now i have to figure out how to post darn pictures on this forum, somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Thirdy; The easiest way to do it is to sign up for a free PhotoBucket.com account and upload your photos there. Once you do you'll see that each pic has it's own, individual URL below it so, once you have that, just do an "advanced" post as you normally would, click on the little icon up top that looks like a postcard with a stamp in the corner (yellow with mountains), paste the URL into the box and hit "OK." Do that for each photo (make sure you put a space in between) and you'll be all set. Good luck and get those pics up soon.

mtbr member
    well,hardway?
    I think CranxOC's explanation is as good as I could do. Hope you're feeling better, I just came down with the damn flu myself.
    Get us some pics!

Members who have read this thread: 0