Francis likes the XCL too!- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

Francis likes the XCL too!

Just posted over in the NorCal forum, in a thread about the Hayes Stroker brakes, was this new "pro review" of the XCL by Franc(o)is:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/chumba-xcl-review/

Itís a great bike and itís going to give a lot of boutique dream bikes a run for their money. This would be a good frame at $2000. At $1400, itís an incredible value.

mtbr member
    who wouldn't like it, its a sweat heart of a deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Jeez!

If everybody keeps saying this all over the place, Chumba will raise the price. You watch. It'll be 1699 before the end of the year.

Then I'll have to buy something else this winter when I get my cash saved up.

ps: Isn't 1399 for a frame in the realm of boutique dream bikes anymore?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Just posted over in the NorCal forum, in a thread about the Hayes Stroker brakes, was this new "pro review" of the XCL by Franc(o)is:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/chumba-xcl-review/

Interesting, the things he pointed out, most notably the lateral stiffness is what I notice the most. It may not seem like much but in fact it's HUGE when really pushing the bike hard especially on really steep techy stuff where cleaning the section or a trip to the emergency room is a matter of nailing the one good line. Another thing I notice about the rigidity is when jumping, a flexible bike will react funny if the launch isn't dead straight, sometimes resulting in "dead sailor" airs. With a rigid frame the bike always reacts the way you expect which really inspires confidence to jump and clean rock sections. While I'm not enamored with the DHX air shock, ( When I dial in enough pro pedal to get the bike to stop bobbing it gets really harsh mid-stroke, so I'm constantly fiddling with it) when set up without Pro Pedal the bike is a friggin Cadillac allowing me to clean technical uphills I've never done and really push it hard on the downs. My buddy has a Nomad and took my bike for a little spin and the first words out of his mouth, "man this thing is plush, feels like more than 5" of travel". Initially I had some reservations about the weight of the frame compared to other bikes in this class but now I am sooooo glad I chose this frame because it really matches well with the type of riding I do, If I had it to do over again I would still chose the XCL.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Interesting, the things he pointed out, most notably the lateral stiffness is what I notice the most. It may not seem like much but in fact it's HUGE when really pushing the bike hard especially on really steep techy stuff where cleaning the section or a trip to the emergency room is a matter of nailing the one good line. Another thing I notice about the rigidity is when jumping, a flexible bike will react funny if the launch isn't dead straight, sometimes resulting in "dead sailor" airs. With a rigid frame the bike always reacts the way you expect which really inspires confidence to jump and clean rock sections. While I'm not enamored with the DHX air shock, ( When I dial in enough pro pedal to get the bike to stop bobbing it gets really harsh mid-stroke, so I'm constantly fiddling with it) when set up without Pro Pedal the bike is a friggin Cadillac allowing me to clean technical uphills I've never done and really push it hard on the downs. My buddy has a Nomad and took my bike for a little spin and the first words out of his mouth, "man this thing is plush, feels like more than 5" of travel". Initially I had some reservations about the weight of the frame compared to other bikes in this class but now I am sooooo glad I chose this frame because it really matches well with the type of riding I do, If I had it to do over again I would still chose the XCL.

Does the XCL have a bridge between the seatstays like the titus motolite?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Nope. Chumba uses beefier stays instead. They're heavier, but stiff and allow for larger tire sizes.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    it has a very sizable bridge that wraps around the seat tube. much like the Titus El guapo. and it has very thick seat stays compared to the motolite (but a thinner swing arm). a good way to add stiffness without the tire clearance issue that the brake arch causes. but at the cost of added weight.

I really like the XCLs main pivot. the out board bearings widens the spacing between the bearing and should help the bearings last a good long time and make a really stiff joint.

to me... its obvious that a lot of thought went into the XCL to make it really strong and stiff. but the motolite is no slouch either.

the XCL probably weighs a pound or more,more then a motolite. but thats not really a bad thing depending on who you are.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    the XCL probably weighs a pound or more,more then a motolite. but thats not really a bad thing depending on who you are.
    Actually it's just a bit over half a pound difference when using the same shock on the same size frame. Med. Moto-Lite with rp23 6.4lbs, Med XCL with rp23 7.0lbs
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Actually it's just a bit over half a pound difference when using the same shock on the same size frame. Med. Moto-Lite with rp23 6.4lbs, Med XCL with rp23 7.0lbs
    Confused - according to Chumba's website a med. XCL w/out a shock weighs 6.8 pounds. Are you saying an RP23 only weighs .20 pounds?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski-U-Mah
    Confused - according to Chumba's website a med. XCL w/out a shock weighs 6.8 pounds. Are you saying an RP23 only weighs .20 pounds?
    More like 250grs... More like half pound... But it's splitting hairs.

Tyre selection is way more important. A tyre for these two bikes can weigh anywhere between 500 and 900grs.

Even if it was a full pound, accounting for same build, difference would be a pound where it matters the less... the frame. A pound can be easily shed off from yourself, rather than the bike.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    it has a very sizable bridge that wraps around the seat tube. much like the Titus El guapo. and it has very thick seat stays compared to the motolite (but a thinner swing arm). a good way to add stiffness without the tire clearance issue that the brake arch causes. but at the cost of added weight.

I really like the XCLs main pivot. the out board bearings widens the spacing between the bearing and should help the bearings last a good long time and make a really stiff joint.

to me... its obvious that a lot of thought went into the XCL to make it really strong and stiff. but the motolite is no slouch either.

I know the Motolite can't except a longer stroke shock because of the bridge but I wonder if the Chumba could?

"El Whatever"
    I know the Motolite can't except a longer stroke shock because of the bridge but I wonder if the Chumba could?
    Why on earth???

Sorry man... But if 5" is not enough, you should be thinking of another bike.

Get a 575...
    Check my Site

Apr 2007

hmmm

I just went into the back and weigh the Med XCL ano with no shock it was 6.3. Not bad.
    The shock is up to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    I just went into the back and weigh the Med XCL ano with no shock it was 6.3. Not bad.
    The shock is up to you.
    That's great! Chumba should update their website. I'd hit one of those.

"El Whatever"
    That's great! Chumba should update their website. I'd hit one of those.
    Me too... Even if it was a full 7 pounds...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    6.3? Dang! That is light for what appears to be a very heavily reinforced and rugged frame.

Even if there is a few ounces variance between frames it's still pretty light.

If the QC stays high and the price doesn't spike I know what Santa's bringing me this Christmas!

Trophy Husband
    ...but I wonder if the Chumba could?
    I know something you don't know....

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Oh really? Do tell, geolover...

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Oh really? Do tell, geolover...
    Hmmm, not sure if I should. I'm afraid President of the No-Fun-Club (Warp) will poo-poo my ideas of adding more travel (oh no! ) to your bike.

Oh well, screw him.

There is nothing stopping a person from using a 2.25" stroke shock on the XCL. I'm not saying it will work (it will), but there is nothing stopping you from trying it.

Oh, except for a few things you might consider. You might experience tire rub on the seat tube during harsh bottom out, especially if you're a "heavier" rider (figuratively and literally). One thing that might help dissuade this is a shock with a good, tunable bottom out character.

The other issue would be warranty. I would not fault Chumba for not honoring someones warranty that would "recklessly" try and increase their travel in this way.

My guess is you'd increase travel by close to an inch. It probably wouldn't be much fun though... I mean, how on Earth could more travel be fun???

YMMV and of course At Your Own Risk.

edit: I of course wouldn't suggest this would work on your EVO, either (it will).
    Last edited by geolover; 09-07-2007 at 05:49 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Hmmm, not sure if I should. I'm afraid President of the No-Fun-Club (Warp) will poo-poo my ideas of adding more travel (oh no! ) to your bike.

Oh well, screw him.

Man, I gotta get into that rehab thing... Anand said longer stroke, I thought he was meaning longer shock...

My bad... I will not drink booze again while at work.
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0