frame size?- Mtbr.com

Thread: frame size?

Mar 2005

frame size?

Im 5' 10" and thinking about getting a 660 but im not sure what frame size i should get. i was think the 19" because i like how another bike rode and the top tube on that was 23.9effective but that was a 17" frame. another bike i rode was a 19" and the effective top was 24.7 and it felt alittle bit long. so i was thinking of getting the 19" 660 but was not sure.

what are your thoughts ?

mtbr member
    I'm 6', I ride a 19" 660 with 100mm stem and it fits well. A 17" would probably fit you fine, the 19" standover might be a little much with 100mm fork. --mark

Mar 2007
    Mark, I'm going to build a Zion 660 EBB. I'm also 6'1"/ What did you use for a fork? Zion or suspension? What size? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rider1x1
    Mark, I'm going to build a Zion 660 EBB. I'm also 6'1"/ What did you use for a fork? Zion or suspension? What size? Thanks!
    RS Recon soloair 100mm, below are the specs:

Frame: ZION 660 19 Inch
    Fork: Rockshox Recon 327 100mm (with reba MC unit)
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Cranks: Deore w/salsa chain rings XT BB
    Shifters: SRAM X.7 8 speed trigger
    R/Derailleur: 2007 SRAM X.9 mid cage
    Cassette: XTR 950 Ti 12-32 8 Speed
    F/Derailleur: XT
    Stem: Raceface Evolve XC 100mm
    Handlebar: Raceface Dues XC low riser
    Seatpost: Racefave Evolove XC
    Saddle: WTB Laser SLT
    Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    Rims/wheels: Mavic Crossride w/Salsa skewers
    Headset: Cane Creek S3

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

re frame sizing

Hi Guys,
    I'm also about to order a zion and am torn between the 19 and 21" size. I also ride a 20.5" rocky mountain with a 105mm stem. I've also previously owned a 21" giant hard tail, but looking at the measurements I reckon I might be ok on a 19" with a longish (say 120mm) stem. I'd rather go small if i can to make the bike more whippy.

Any thoughts out there?

cheers

mtbr member
    Hard to say, how tall are you?

A 120 mm stem might feel a little sketchy going downhill and would probably kill that "whippy" feel you are looking for. But don't quote me on that! I've personally never ridden a stem that long. I'd say if you go with a 19" try a 110mm stem. That would give a slightly shorter cockpit than what you are riding now. I guess it's all personal preference though.

Anyone from Zion (aka JensonUSA) reading this? --Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Whoops,
    Forgot the important detail. I'm 6'2". Thanks Mark for your response. I know what you mean about a longer stem length, and especially when coupled with fairly wide bars on a single speed. As much as I'd like to try and get on a smaller frame I suspect I'm just gonna go with the 21" as I pretty much always find myself on the larger of the two sizes (19/21" that is).

cheers

NIck

mtbr member
    At 6'2" it would probably be a better fit if you went with the 21". That way you could run a more normal length stem.

Post some pics once you get it built. --Mark

mtbr member
    I'm ordering a 660 frame but unsure between a 19" & 21". I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and currently ride a 21" Giant hardtail but it's always felt smaller than most other 21" frames. Fits me perfectly but I want to go back to a steel bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and I ride the 19. It feels just a little tall with a 100mm fork. I think the 19 would probably be a better fit for you, especially if you are planning on running 100 - 130mm fork. That said I'd measure up your Giant and compare it to the ZION spec. --Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    I'm 6' and I ride the 19. It feels just a little tall with a 100mm fork. I think the 19 would probably be a better fit for you, especially if you are planning on running 100 - 130mm fork. That said I'd measure up your Giant and compare it to the ZION spec. --Mark
    thanks, i'm either going with the zion rigid fork i'm currently riding or i'll use an 2005 duke race 80mm.

Members who have read this thread: 0