Fork Sizing on a Geared 660- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    683

    Fork Sizing on a Geared 660

    Hey all,

    So I've gotten my 660 pretty much all together, but I'm debating front forks. I currently have a Tora 302 with Poploc remote. Its a decent fork not the worst not the greatest but HEAVY.

    I'm looking to upgrade it to something a litlte lighter, probably around a Reba or a Revelation. How much travel do you guys like on these frames? 100mm 115,130?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marks_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    508
    The 660 was built around a 80mm fork. Personally, I wouldn't go much over 100mm.

    I'm running a 100mm Recon airsolo on my 660. It's pretty light, it's around 3.8 pounds cut. The only down side is it doesn't have Motion control. --Mark

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    683
    Thanks Mark, that is pretty much the same thing I was thinking. I'd like a nice 100mm fork. I'll check out your recommendation.

  4. #4
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    I have run a 105mm Marathon SL and now run a Revelation at 130mm... at full travel it feels a little tall...but run it a little plush (lots of sag) and love how it handles...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    683
    Thanks,

    I'm thinking of picking up a R7 for the bike, that or the revelation and run it plush like you said, just not 100% sure yet.

  6. #6
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    no prob... just to tease you some more

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/409362369/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="https://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/409362369_5bbd0549f3_o.jpg" width="800" height="600" alt="SS in sunny winter afternoon" /></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/366831387/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="https://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/366831387_97beaf8bd1_o.jpg" width="600" height="800" alt="Rock Shox Revelation on Zion SS" /></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/366831339/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="https://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/366831339_49ca4d1c72_o.jpg" width="800" height="600" alt="Rock Shox Revelation on Zion SS" /></a>

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marks_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    508
    wow, a 130mm!?! I bet it descends well. But does it wander a lot in climbs with that much travel? But then again you did say it's setup pretty plush. --Mark

  8. #8
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    wow, a 130mm!?! I bet it descends well. But does it wander a lot in climbs with that much travel? But then again you did say it's setup pretty plush. --Mark
    yep 130mm... at sag it is about at 95mm so it climbs ok (the part that usually fails on climbs is the one between saddle and handlebars )..besides...my weight is fully thrown forward as I climb..so no major worries there.. if necessary I can always pump a little more air on the neg chamber to "compress" the fork a bit.. no worries..

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    683
    You are going to cost me more money for sure! Thats ok though, nothing like new bike parts in the morning.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marks_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yep 130mm... at sag it is about at 95mm so it climbs ok (the part that usually fails on climbs is the one between saddle and handlebars )..besides...my weight is fully thrown forward as I climb..so no major worries there.. if necessary I can always pump a little more air on the neg chamber to "compress" the fork a bit.. no worries..
    That's true I forgot that the revs are dual air. That was the fork I wanted for my original build but I got a really good deal on the recon airsolo ($200) so I settled. When I do my single speed build I'll get something new for my geared bike and put the recon on the SS.

    Man, you weren't joking about how much sag you run. --Mark

  11. #11
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797
    You are going to cost me more money for sure! Thats ok though, nothing like new bike parts in the morning.
    LOL... tell me about it... I just added a new thomson x4 stem and syncros bar to it... getting new parts is a big part of the fun

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/475948224/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="https://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/475948224_e46c2c766b_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="twin cockpits" /></a>

  12. #12
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    That's true I forgot that the revs are dual air. That was the fork I wanted for my original build but I got a really good deal on the recon airsolo ($200) so I settled. When I do my single speed build I'll get something new for my geared bike and put the recon on the SS.

    Man, you weren't joking about how much sag you run. --Mark
    yep.. "saggy" me ... well I still play a lot with it.. some days I set at full 130 with 10 psi less in negative than positive..and some days I drop the pos a bit and raise the neg... it is a super adjustable fork... (I have a Pike on my FS and love it too )

    the recon is a sweet fork..especially if you consider what's available in the same price range... it is only a bit heavier than the RVL...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    683
    [QUOTE=crisillo]LOL... tell me about it... I just added a new thomson x4 stem and syncros bar to it... getting new parts is a big part of the fun

    I agree, I love new parts. At the moment I'm trying to decide on a crankset. Looking at a new XT M760 or Race Face Evolve XC's not quite sure. Probably going with the XT's.

    After the cranks then on to forks argh! hehe

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marks_bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yep.. "saggy" me ... well I still play a lot with it.. some days I set at full 130 with 10 psi less in negative than positive..and some days I drop the pos a bit and raise the neg... it is a super adjustable fork... (I have a Pike on my FS and love it too )

    the recon is a sweet fork..especially if you consider what's available in the same price range... it is only a bit heavier than the RVL...
    My Recon is pretty light but it's about to get a little heavier. I picked up a MC unit (non-remote) for a pike/revelation. I had LBS call rockshox to make sure that it'll fit the recon. Should be a nice upgrade. --Mark

  15. #15
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    My Recon is pretty light but it's about to get a little heavier. I picked up a MC unit (non-remote) for a pike/revelation. I had LBS call rockshox to make sure that it'll fit the recon. Should be a nice upgrade. --Mark
    well that makes it functionally almost a RVL

  16. #16
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,787
    [QUOTE=monty797]
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    LOL... tell me about it... I just added a new thomson x4 stem and syncros bar to it... getting new parts is a big part of the fun

    I agree, I love new parts. At the moment I'm trying to decide on a crankset. Looking at a new XT M760 or Race Face Evolve XC's not quite sure. Probably going with the XT's.

    After the cranks then on to forks argh! hehe
    XT rock.. I run a set on my FS and run Hones on the Zion...both are great..

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.