Fork for my XCL- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork for my XCL

mtbr member

Fork for my XCL

I got a XCL coming soon and I am trying to decide on a fork. I ride the typical SoCal trails so there's alot of ups and downs. I am more on the XC side so I'm thinking a 140mm might be to much for me, as far as climbing. I've been looking at the TALAS, but not really into having to change travel when riding,(not a big deal, but I've got issues) I like to keep things simple. is 120mm a good compromise or does a 140mm fork climb OK? I know the Pike is very popular but would like to keep my QR wheel. I am leaning towards Fox. How about the Float set to 120mm? Advice please.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    The XCL climbs great with even at 140mm, only time you need to drop it is for the really steep stuff. I would go for the Pike simply because of the MUCH stiffer 20mm axle which is QR also. Buy if you are really looking to use your current QR wheel then Fox is the only way to go. But the I really like the stiffness of 20mm axle since I'm over 2 bills. If you are light then you should be ok with the Talas.

Trust me, once you get a taste of how nice the XCL rides you will be looking to use the 140mm fork.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

nerfherder
    If you don't like to change your travel but are set on getting a travel fork, I'd go with the TALAS. The three way lever rocks it over the U-Turn dial.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    The XCL climbs great with even at 140mm, only time you need to drop it is for the really steep stuff. I would go for the Pike simply because of the MUCH stiffer 20mm axle which is QR also. Buy if you are really looking to use your current QR wheel then Fox is the only way to go. But the I really like the stiffness of 20mm axle since I'm over 2 bills. If you are light then you should be ok with the Talas.

Trust me, once you get a taste of how nice the XCL rides you will be looking to use the 140mm fork.
    Yup, what he said.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i'm quite interested in the XCL too, but problem is i'm only 5 4 with an inseam of 29", will a small XCL with 140/150mm travel make the XCL TT leave no or too little clearance for my nuts?

Members who have read this thread: 0