Fork issues- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork issues

Jan 2004

Fork issues

I'm posting this here because I know a lot of you guys have Pikes on your XCLs.

I cheaped out and got a 2006 Manitou Nixon Super Intrinsic for my XCL. I tried to ride the bike this weekend but this fork is giving me fits. There was a tag on the fork suggesting 1/2 my weight for the pressure. At 170 psi (which is more than 1/2 my weight) I was getting something like 4 inches of sag. I farted around with the thing and eventually got to just under 250 psi, at which point I still had about 3 inches of sag (I do not weigh 500 pounds). Basically it felt like the thing was bottoming out as soon as I got on the bike. I tried to ride it that way but it just didn't feel right and I ended up cutting the ride short.

Do Pikes feel like this also? Or is this a Manitou thing?

The previous suspension fork that I had was a coil Fox Vanilla R 130, which I basically put a heavy spring in and forgot.

mtbr member
    Something does not sound right. When you add air and remove the pump are you loosing a lot of air? Reattach the pump and check what the pressure is. It should be close (less than 5 lbs off). If it is much less, check the valve stem. I have noticed a lot of Manitou forks with a bad valve stems - either too short or too long. Easy to fix.

Jan 2004
    No, nothing like that. The pressure stays pretty much the same.

I also posted this in the shocks forum, and I had someone reply that it could be the intrinsic damper needing service, so I'm going to look into that.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    My Pike 454 is and has been perfect w/out any real headaches for over 1.5 years. It is a dual air and has never leaked. I weigh 230 and I run mine about 150 Lbs in the positive and 150 in the negative. Sounds like your Manitou has issues!

I'm living the dream!
    Yeah, it sounds like it's a problem with the fork. I had a Manitou Minute on my last bike and had no problem achieving the correct sag. You should either get your Nixon checked out or just get yourself a Pike.

Jan 2004
    Apparently there's a spring in there for the initial travel that I'm probably blowing through. Not sure it's going to still be available though... I think this fork is from before they were acquired by Hayes.

I may end up with a Pike... I can only take so much of this forking around (haha!)

Members who have read this thread: 0