Forbidden Bike Co Druid- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

https://reviews.mtbr.com/meet-forbid...-the-new-druid

There is a thread in AM but that doesn't get a lot of traffic. This is a big deal locally here in Cumberland but it's also a fairly unique design and is of general bike nerd interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-forbidden_print-14.jpg  

Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

No known cure
    What's old is new again. It instantly reminds me of a 1993 GT RTS

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...-updated-4.jpg
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Hisforever
    going to be thrashing one soon enough

Ibis Ripmo -wifes
    Scout
    Saturn St
    G1
    Yz 250x - no ebikes

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Or Balfa BB7 for the high pivot with roller...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The one fella I know who's been on one for a while loves it and says "it's the best climbing bike I've been on". I should be able to demo soon. They look very good in person and unlike some new bikes have good tire clearance.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Itís so nice to see some real innovation in the mtb industry right now. Does anyone know what tyre clearance the Druid will have?...

mtbr member
    This is what FBC posted on NSMB. "Most 2.6s will fit but the clearance is at the limit of what we feel acceptable. We recommend a good size 2.4 or 2.5."

Here is the tech doc. 2.4 recommended, 2.6 max. Clearance looked good on the one I saw.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    This is what FBC posted on NSMB. "Most 2.6s will fit but the clearance is at the limit of what we feel acceptable. We recommend a good size 2.4 or 2.5."

Here is the tech doc. 2.4 recommended, 2.6 max. Clearance looked good on the one I saw.
    Thanks very much Travis!

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Or Balfa BB7 for the high pivot with roller...
    I always wanted to try one out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've wanted a high single pivot bike with an idler setup for ages, a bit more travel though. I've always wondered why they don't make the idler position adjustable via some means to adjust the antisquat on the fly or at least manually.

mtbr member
    I wonder how much extra friction on pedaling the upper pulley generates. Unlike the derailleur pulleys it is under pedaling force tension.

mtbr member
    So amped to see this finally available! Have been considering a leftover supreme SX but its a lot of bike for me. This Druid is definitely bringing the high pivot witchcraft to a wheelsize and travel that is usable for my local trails and ability.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...rail-bike.html

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/forbidden-druid-review/

https://nsmb.com/articles/introducin...n-bikes-druid/
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Druid or Knolly Fugitive

@Travis Bickle: Can you post a comparison once you've ridden the Druid? As far as I remember you own a Fugitive

mtbr member
    We will be comparing them. The guys I work with are much better riders than I am, we all ride a large, and are all very familiar with the Fugitive. I can't imaging a better bike than the Fugitive but I'm ready to be convinced.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Great I'm wondering how the bikes compare in low speed enviroments (techy stuff) and high speed descents. One review claimed that the druid (like other high pivot bikes) is difficult to manual/bunny hop... I'm interested in your opinion once you rode the druid.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing more real world experiences. On fast, chunky and rooty descents it must be super plush.

This animation of a jedi suspension, does a good job at illustrating some of the benefits of a rearward axle path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Df3kmYnOUs
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...-updated-4.jpg

Yep, beat me to it.

Should be interesting to see how this new one plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    We will be comparing them. The guys I work with are much better riders than I am, we all ride a large, and are all very familiar with the Fugitive. I can't imaging a better bike than the Fugitive but I'm ready to be convinced.
    TB - in addition to all your other observations, please let us know if you feel greater driveline resistance compared to a non-HSP set up, and if so, the extent of it and whether this should be a consideration for prospective purchasers. Thanks.

EDIT: just saw CrozCountry's post above. I think we have the same question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    TB - in addition to all your other observations, please let us know if you feel greater driveline resistance compared to a non-HSP set up, and if so, the extent of it and whether this should be a consideration for prospective purchasers. Thanks.

EDIT: just saw CrozCountry's post above. I think we have the same question.
    I couldn't imagine it'd be that much drag or the reviewers would have mentioned it. IMHO, it cant be anywhere close to the drag of running a minion in the back or tire inserts.

I tell you Mike, I'm ready to jump ship for this one.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I couldn't imagine it'd be that much drag or the reviewers would have mentioned it. IMHO, it cant be anywhere close to the drag of running a minion in the back or tire inserts.

I tell you Mike, I'm ready to jump ship for this one.
    I know what bikes you have had and enjoyed.

That's quite a statement.

As for driveline resistance, the issue was raised in the PB comments. It seems like a legit thing to either confirm or dispel. I can't think of a better man than TB to do so.

mtbr member
    I know what bikes you have had and enjoyed.

That's quite a statement.

As for driveline resistance, the issue was raised in the PB comments. It seems like a legit thing to either confirm or dispel. I can't think of a better man than TB to do so.
    If im gonna be stuck with a single pivot, it might as well be a high one.

Totall agree, feedback on this is much appreciated (but must admit to not caring enough about idler drag to keep me from buying one)
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 04-07-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft

Cool advertising video anyway.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    My boss loves it, and I hope to get some test riding this week. Home trails in the video😋.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    My boss loves it, and I hope to get some test riding this week. Home trails in the video😋.
    Travis, since youíve become Legbacon Iíve noticed a more easy going demeanor. Thereís a few others in here that could benefit from a username change.

high pivot witchcraft
    I like when he puts the power down at :46. The ass end of that bike is not bobbing. At all. Same with the out of the saddle climbing at :18.

When you watch Blenki blasting on the Aurum HSP, he is pedalling lots. Maybe more than anyone else out there. Again, with no discernible pedal bob (and, reportedly, no pedal kickback).

The Druid with that HSP driveline/linkage seems to provide a rock solid pedalling platform, yet be incredibly fast and compliant through the square edged hits. For all the apparent witchcraft and wizardry going on, it is puzzling why there are so few HSP bikes out there at the moment. Perhaps with the undeniable success of the Commencal team (and, to a lesser extent, the Norco team), and now with the launch of the Druid in the aggressive trail category, all that is about to change.

mtbr member
    I think we will see a few more high pivot bikes come out. There are plenty of different suspension designs now and I'm sure this will continue to evolve. Looks like i will get a good test ride in because this week looks dry, sunny, cool, and tacky. Mountainbike Heaven. Will it surpass the Knolly Fugitive? I'm doubtful that it's possible but, I am ready to be convinced.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    The Fugitive is a bad ass, kick ass bike. It sets an exceedingly high bar.

At minimum, my bet is that you will find the Druid's fit and finish (i.e.; quality of construction) to be exceptional. After that, it's anyone's guess.

Eagerly awaiting all your observations...
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 04-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Going to give it a try this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well it's great looking, that's for sure.

mtbr member

Eagerly awaiting all your observations...
    and one more

Going to give it a try this afternoon.

Oh hell yeah!
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

Holy chain length Batman!!

Donít over complicate it Robin.

mtbr member
    Hotness!! Looking forward to the ride report, let me know if there's a Fugitive frame going cheap...

high pivot witchcraft

The stoke is high. Very high.

Patiently awaiting Legbacon's review...

mtbr member

The stoke is high. Very high pivot.
    fixed it for ya'

After seeing this druid, i had to get in on some of this high pivot witchcraft myself
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    ...After seeing this druid, i had to get in on some of this high pivot witchcraft myself
    Nice. Do tell.

I did too. I hope to be posting something further later today...
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Based on that video...is it an eBike?

The only time the riders legs moved was when he was PUSHING THE BIKE up hill?!?

mtbr member
    I took it out for a couple of hours yesterday and then handed it off to a workmate who's 2 bikes are down right now. He instructs MTB at Whistler over the summer so I look forward to his take.

A little about me. 60 years old, live for the descents, ride 4 days a week, not afraid to climb, intermediate skills and lots of times in the top 10% on black descending trails ( some of these on a HT) My personal bikes are a Pipedream Moxie and a Knolly Fugitive.

The Druid. We set the sag at the shop, I checked the tire pressure and swapped the brake to right front. I left the 50mm stem and 20mm rise bar. Ideally I would run a 40mm stem and flat or 10mm rise bar an this bike. I was a bit too upright. I should have taken the time to swap the pedals from the Saints to my XTR Trail, it turn out the pins on the Saints made it very hard to unclip . The large Druid fit my stumpy legged 5'9" body quite well with a nice steep STA. The drivetrain did not have drag that I noticed, but the Minions with Cushcore did. That and it was my 3rd day in a row riding. It was my first time on AXS Eagle and I am not used to it, so shifting wasn't intuitive for me. With my build kit the test would have gone smoother. The drivetrain does make a slight noise, sounds like the lower chain guide. I don't like the moss colour but the bike looks great. The frame had room for my 1 litre water bottle with spare for a frame make or the like. My legs didn't rub anywhere. FBC is located in town here and the shop I work at PT is a dealer. I don't think this biased my opinion???

The good.

1. This bike carries speed in the rough. Like to go fast, you will love this aspect, I did. I think its the rearward axle path that helps here. It felt smooth but without being very plush. Plush enough, especially when you consider it's only got 130mm out back.

2. It is a great climber. I noticed some bob with the shock open on my way to the trailhead. I flipped the climb switch and left it on for most of the logging road climb. I flipped it off for the last bit and it still pedalled well. I would use it on the road, but if it wasn't available I could live with it. The shock's compression was backed off completely. Once on the trail part of the climb it pedalled great, did not wander even with the high bar, the steep STA was perfect for me and, traction was good. I would be very happy with it.

3. Handling was intuitive. Maybe because I'm on similar 29ers but I found the cornering was spot on. Stable and could still be whipped through S turns.

4. The 450mm seat tube gives me plenty of room for a dropper.

5. The frame looks beefy and seemed stiff laterally.

6. Room for a good 2.5 tire.

The bad.

1. I felt some very slight brake jack. My boss said he felt it so I was looking for it. I didn't brake extremely hard, what I felt was minor and, it would not put me off.

2. $4000 Canadian dollars for the frame with no stock build kits available will put some people off.

3. Moss, WTF?

I just got my Fugitive last August so I'm not in the market at this time. If I was this would be a contender. Better than the Fugitive, I wouldn't say that. It has the rearward axle path that is an advantage in some situations. Long term durability is unknown but, the hardware and bearings look promising. The Fugitive will still be ridable when there are only cockroaches left. Lastly, perhaps unique to me, it won't accept a Mudhugger mudguard, something I consider essential here on Vancouver Island. I could probably fabricate some kind of adaptors if push came to shove.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I just got my Fugitive last August so I'm not in the market at this time. If I was this would be a contender.
    Thanks for the review LB.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Based on that video...is it an eBike?

The only time the riders legs moved was when he was PUSHING THE BIKE up hill?!?
    What?
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    The bad...

3. Moss, WTF?
    Awesome review Legbacon. Thank you.

My frame arrived today at work. I opted for the matte carbon

The "tailored" Ride Wrap kit is due to arrive Tuesday. I will build it next week.

mtbr member
    I am anxiously awaiting you photos and ride impression. The Druid looks great in black.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Nice. Do tell.
    Hint: It has 180mm of travel and is a high pivot.

I did too. I hope to be posting something further later today...
    Well??
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Hint: It has 180mm of travel and is a high pivot...
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-91de9e58-c317-4f02-9d35-b035616a592c.jpg

Congrats man. HSP

I havenít unboxed my Druid yet. Preoccupied with other stuff. It was a great day at work though...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-5c2e929d-5c76-4155-9780-448208d04332.jpg
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 04-27-2019 at 05:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice bottle. Who's your boss, Don Draper?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    Nice bottle. Who's your boss, Don Draper?
    ***OFF TOPIC ALERT - anyone who is going to be offended to the point of neg repping me (you know who you are - it's the only neg rep I have received on here by the way), best be turning back now***

Legbacon - I had just bought that bottle for my assistant as a little token of my appreciation, cuz she is a Superstar. She recently returned from a trip to Cabo that she has been raving about. The bottle was considerably less expensive than return tickets there :-)

I hadn't given it to her yet, when my Druid arrived. I thought it would go nicely in the pic alongside the Druid.

Perhaps her friends are now asking HER whether HER boss is Don Draper...lol.

mtbr member
    Ok, possible stupid question...Can you get by with 1 chain on the Druid? Or do you need to piece one together?

Also, Does the Druid have a non-standard seatpost clamp? It looks to be oval.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Ok, possible stupid question...Can you get by with 1 chain on the Druid? Or do you need to piece one together?

I understand that the small and medium frames get away with one chain, but the large frame requires 1+. No big deal AFAIAC, unless I am missing something.

As for the seat post clamp, here is a pic from the NSMB review:

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_d1.jpg

So, yeah. It looks non-standard. Thankfully it's included with the frame.

Given that my significant other was instrumental in encouraging my purchase, I am going to unbox the Druid this evening with her present. I am hoping there are no bad surprises...
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

It needs some extra links so you are going to have an extra quick link in there. The seat clamp follows the seat tube shape outer but has a regular 31.6 seat post. Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky. My Fugitive came with a flask but it was empty.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    ...Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky.
    Or tequila...
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    You can buy bulk chain so it's a non issue.

Who the [email protected] is don draper?
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    ...Who the [email protected] is don draper?
    Donald Francis "Don" Draper is a fictional character and protagonist on the AMC television series Mad Men (2007Ė2015), portrayed by Jon Hamm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Draper

As for the connection with the Patron, Legbacon can wade in if he so wishes.

Damn - I'm in for another 6 hours straight of fairly heavy snowfall...looks like I will have some extra time to build the Druid.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_d4.jpg
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 04-27-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Donald Francis "Don" Draper is a fictional character and protagonist on the AMC television series Mad Men (2007Ė2015), portrayed by Jon Hamm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Draper

As for the connection with the Patron, Legbacon can wade in if he so wishes.

Damn - I'm in for another 6 hours straight of fairly heavy snowfall...looks like I will have some extra time to build the Druid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d4.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	1248902
    Mad men? I guess i need to get in more. Haven't had TV since 2012 and really only watched top gear and no reservations.

SNOW!?!?!?! Jesus man...we were kicking it in the mid 80s today but the hellish summer of austin will soon be upon us. Speaking of austin, we are pretty familiar with patron here

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaust...-patrn-spirits

NOW get to building that druid! My high pivot is stuck in customs at the moment.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    I understand that the small and medium frames get away with one chain, but the large frame requires 1+. No big deal AFAIAC, unless I am missing something.

As for the seat post clamp, here is a pic from the NSMB review:

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	1248883

So, yeah. It looks non-standard. Thankfully it's included with the frame.

Given that my significant other was instrumental in encouraging my purchase, I am going to unbox the Druid this evening with her present. I am hoping there are no bad surprises...
    Thanks for the info. Post some pics of your build when you're done.

You can buy bulk chain so it's a non issue.

Who the [email protected] is don draper?
    Yeah, was just wondering.

It needs some extra links so you are going to have an extra quick link in there. The seat clamp follows the seat tube shape outer but has a regular 31.6 seat post. Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky. My Fugitive came with a flask but it was empty.
    Just crossed Knolly off my list for half assing it. What good is an empty flask.

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Finally got it unboxed.

It was packaged very well. There are a few cosmetic things going on with the frame but nothing significant, and probably capable of being washed off/rubbed out. Likely more fingerprints and oils than anything else.

The SWAT box-like storage behind the downtube protector is awesome. Holy shit. I havenít checked what it will hold but I suspect quite a bit beyond a tube, especially if you want to store things further up the downtube, which is uninterrupted.

Graphics are great. Understated and definitely in sync with the bikeís namesake. Very Druid-like stuff going on.

The matte carbon finish is 100% to my liking. I could not have custom chosen a better colour/look.

My shirt and bottle were in the box, as promised.

I sit and stare, and wonder where the $4300 CDN went but thatís because thatís a lot of money, not because the frame is not incredibly impressive.

I have to decide a few build issues and I need to apply the tailored Ride Wrap kit when it arrives, but I suspect the build should be complete soon. Hopefully within a week or so.

Happy to try to answer any questions anyone has. Otherwise, on with the build.

PS - my Zee Cage with tool fits in the frame perfectly. Room to spare.

2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the updates

@Legbacon: Can you comment how the Druid behaves in techy, slow-speed situation compared to the Fugitive? Did you try to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop the Druid? One review claimed that (...because of the rearward axle) HP bikes are a bitch to get on the back wheel.

high pivot witchcraft
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8324.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8325.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8330.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8336.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8337.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8340.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-57812702186__af0898e4-4302-4867-aee8-5c09b15ca9c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Thanks for the updates

@Legbacon: Can you comment how the Druid behaves in techy, slow-speed situation compared to the Fugitive? Did you try to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop the Druid? One review claimed that (...because of the rearward axle) HP bikes are a bitch to get on the back wheel.
    The bar on the demo was too high so I didn't find it hard to lift the front over obstacles. I didn't try a wheelie. As for low speed tech, nothing beats Knolly's 4X4 suspension. The small bump absorption on the Druid doesn't match the Fugitive but was OK.

I road the Fugitive on some of the same trails yesterday and will stick with it for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Druid built up, they are gorgeous.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    The bar on the demo was too high so I didn't find it hard to lift the front over obstacles. I didn't try a wheelie. As for low speed tech, nothing beats Knolly's 4X4 suspension. The small bump absorption on the Druid doesn't match the Fugitive but was OK.

I road the Fugitive on some of the same trails yesterday and will stick with it for now.

Hmmm...There still may be a little left in the budget, and room in the garage for one more loved one...

I kid. I kid. As soon as the Druid is built, I need to try to curb the bike spending a bit. Itís starting to get ridiculous.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

The Fugitive has a pretty significant advantage as well...it's paid for.

The Druid does look nice and the price is a decent value once you factor in it's a niche brand full carbon frame sold in low volume quantities.

It'll be interesting to see the longer term reviews once the new bike Kool-Aid wears of. It's great to have a bike option with a Vancouver Island connection.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_8324.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1248970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8325.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1248971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8330.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	1248972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8336.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	1248973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8337.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1248974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8340.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1248975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57812702186__AF0898E4-4302-4867-AEE8-5C09B15CA9C3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	1248976

That looks really sweet Mike. Congrats!

As soon as the Druid is built, I need to try to curb the bike spending a bit. Itís starting to get ridiculous.
    you and i both know this isnt going to happen

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-1820704651_screenshot2019-04-01at3_27_24pm.thumb.png.3cb5206ebb40d997bc67eaa1870fc86e.png
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks again I consider Knolly a "niche brand" as well... maybe one with a longer track record.

high pivot witchcraft
    A few pics of the ďreverseĒ SWAT box...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8349.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8351.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8354.jpg

2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    That looks really sweet Mike. Congrats!

you and i both know this isnt going to happen

Name:	1820704651_ScreenShot2019-04-01at3_27_24PM.thumb.png.3cb5206ebb40d997bc67eaa1870fc86e.png 
Views:	228 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	1248987
    Bahahaha!

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

And yeah. Agreed. Hopeless.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I love the storage options this frame has. These days flats are rare so having the spare tube inside the frame and undoing a couple of bolts is ok.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I love the storage options this frame has. These days flats are rare so having the spare tube inside the frame and undoing a couple of bolts is ok.
    Yes. Usually a tubeless plug will get you back to riding without messing with a tube, but it's nice to have the tube if you are a long way from home/car and a plug won't cut it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

high pivot witchcraft
    Especially if you attach a Big S Zee cage with attached EMT mini tool, so that the ďreverseĒ SWAT box is easily accessible riding packless (plus you still have the second set of bottle bosses under the top tube to run a WolfTooth B-Rad set up). No Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag (or Awesome Strap) is required for this bike.

I am hoping that come judgment day, the big man above will forgive the relatively minor transgression to the dark side, to be able to have that EMT tool handy (not to mention a pretty decent side loading bottle cage).

Build update - application of the ďtailoredĒ Ride Wrap kit is in progress.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

Build update - application of the ďtailoredĒ Ride Wrap kit is in progress.
    use lots of heat
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've had my Druid for a couple of weeks now. Build Specs:

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon with Ride Wrap
    Newmen Wheels
    Next R Cranks
    Sram GX Shifter/Deraileur 11sp
    1195 Casette
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    Shimano XTR 9120 Trail Pedal
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Schwable Nobby Nic 2.3 Addix F/R
    Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Rearward Axle Path is great fro slow techy climbing compared to the higher chain tension pedalling platforms ie DW link, VPP.... You can almost come to a stop and the rear end will still not get hung up on obstacles. The Horst link bikes in the open setting are also good in this regard. Just not as good.

Downhill stability of this axle path is much more stable than other platform I have owned. Therefore, speed on similar trails is much faster. Kasimer talked about this on Pinkbike.

I'm not a fan of platforms that require a rider to constantly fiddle with shock compression switches. Where I live on Vancouver Island it is mostly rolling steeper terrain and fiddling with a climb/trail switch is a PITA . You just leave it open on the Druid. Good thing, because you would have to perform an advanced circus stunt to change that shock on the fly.

The drivetrain is quieter than I expected given the unique drivetrain.

The height of the chainstay was a big plus for me. I have broken several typical chainstays due to impacts. This chainstay is way higher/out of harm's way

Building the bike was a pleasure. Dropper post is routed through the downtube and there is a nice port molded into the seattube for easy routing. The other cables flow through the top tube. Cable ports cinch the cables when tightened ie. no rattling.

I think my Knollys had better traction. The bike came with 6 clicks of LSC o.n the DPX2 so I could play with that. It might just be that my rear tire is on it's way out.

It climbs plenty well. Kasimer says not like a Ripmo but I don't like the high chain tension designs for my riding. Most other platforms would at least need the shock in the trail setting to be as efficient. I don't do Strava and the like.. not interested in knowing how slow I'm getting.

Running 190 PSI in the DPX 2. I'm 195 loaded.

I've got a Rockshox Pike @ 160 on the front/Push ACS3 Kit 46 offset. I might try 150. Still getting used to it.

That's all for now. Cheers. J
    Last edited by YogiKudo; 05-01-2019 at 04:55 AM.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon
    Newmen Wheels
    Next R Cranks
    1195 Casette
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Rearward Axle Path is great fro slow techy climbing compared to the higher chain tension pedalling platforms ie DW link, VPP.... You can almost come to a stop and the rear end will still not get hung up on obstacles. The Horst link bikes in the open setting are also good in this regard. Just not as good.

Downhill stability of this axle path is much more stable than other platform I have owned. Therefore, speed on similar trails is much faster. Kasimer talked about this on Pinkbike.

I'm not a fan of platforms that require a rider to constantly fiddle with shock compression switches. Where I live on Vancouver Island it is mostly rolling steeper terrain and fiddling with a climb/trail switch is a PITA . You just leave it open on the Druid. Good thing, because you would have to perform an advanced circus stunt to change that shock on the fly.

The height of the chainstay was a big plus for me. I have broken several typical chainstays due to impacts. This chainstay is way higher/out of harm's way

Building the bike was a pleasure. Dropper post is routed through the downtube and there is a nice port molded into the seattube for easy routing. The other cables flow through the top tube. Cable ports cinch the cables when tightened ie. no rattling.

I think my Knollys had better traction. The bike came with 6 clicks of LSC o.n the DPX2 so I could play with that. It might just be that my rear tire is on it's way out.

It climbs plenty well. Kasimer says not like a Ripmo but I don't like the high chain tension designs for my riding. Most other platforms would at least need the shock in the trail setting to be as efficient. I don't do Strava and the like.. not interested in knowing how slow I'm getting.

I've got a Rockshox Pike @ 160 on the front/Push ACS3 Kit 46 offset. I might try 150. Still getting used to it.

Very interesting comments. Thanks. I hope to have mine built by the end of the weekend, assuming no snags. ACS3...nice. I have been toying with that idea myself. Does it play well with your air sprung DPX2?

Any chance of some pics?
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Very interesting comments. Thanks. I hope to have mine built by the end of the weekend, assuming no snags. ACS3...nice. I have been toying with that idea myself. Does it play well with your air sprung DPX2?

Any chance of some pics?
    The ACS3 is a very good product. In my case, it gave new life to older Pikes that tended to develop more or less constant air shaft issues. The coil conversion provided better performance (Traction/consistency) and reliability. It plays nice with the DPX2. Curiously, the rear end on this bike seems to outperform the front when the speed ramps up. I tried to post some pics but gave up. I might try again. J

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon with Ride Wrap
    Newmen Wheels
    Next R Cranks
    1195 Casette
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Nice.
    How tall are you? Iím on the fence at 6-1 and change and am trying to decide between the large and hopefully soon to be released xl.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyjong View Post
    Nice.
    How tall are you? Iím on the fence at 6-1 and change and am trying to decide between the large and hopefully soon to be released xl.
    I'm 5' 11" with a 35" inseam. I'm running a 35mm stem. I like the 76..ish seat tube angle and 18-19" reach area for my riding. Your size choice might come down to your dropper length preferences due to the seat tube length on the larger size. I've got use to my 185 and now 200 mm plus is around. Something to consider. J

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A couple of things I failed to mention:

Standing climbing: If you are the type (Retired single speeder) that transitions a lot from seated to standing climbing the Druid's suspension acts like a DW link with great support without the disadvantages I mentioned earlier. This is a weakness on horst link bikes without flipping the switch.

Kudos to Forbidden: Got to give the guys credit for going the extra mile on the frame geometry. The actual seat tube angles changes with frame size as well as the chain stay length. This is a PITA for any frame designer. It is, however, necessary to give the majority of riders the same balance point on the frame. Well done!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am an intermittent single speeder...that comment has me even more interested in this thing.

But no bikes this year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This bike has me very tempted. I'm sure the 130mm rear is great in the chunky gnar but I'm still wondering how it would cope with big drops and jumps. I'm on a very progressive 150mm rear now and I feel like the high single pivot would work better for 90% of the stuff I ride but the big bucks have me concerned. I was considering a Supreme SX or Scott Ransom but I'd be overbiked most of the time and I need a water bottle so the Supreme is out.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat. I have a short travel trailbike that'll do 90% of the stuff I ride but want something more for the parks. Druid and commencal's success in DH convinced me to build a high pivot supreme sx. If it only came down to one bike, druid all the way.

Hoping forbidden will also produce a 150-160mm bike in the future.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

poser Administrator

Name:	IMG_8324.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1248970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8325.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1248971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8330.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	1248972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8336.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	1248973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8337.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1248974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8340.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1248975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57812702186__AF0898E4-4302-4867-AEE8-5C09B15CA9C3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	1248976

damn, that this is teh sex
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was in the same boat. I have a short travel trailbike that'll do 90% of the stuff I ride but want something more for the parks. Druid and commencal's success in DH convinced me to build a high pivot supreme sx. If it only came down to one bike, druid all the way.

Hoping forbidden will also produce a 150-160mm bike in the future.
    Yeah that's the dream. Thing is I have an XC bike and I don't have any lift access DH where I live so a Supreme again is a bit much.

high pivot witchcraft
    I finally installed my tailored Ride Wrap kit today. In short, it almost cost me my sanity and my relationship. Total hatchet job. I almost cried more than once, and came close to ripping it all off my frame.

And to add insult to injury, I have a second tailored kit that I ordered for my Honzo. So yeah. More good times ahead.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the product. I should have known not to try this on my own. Itís my fault.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of the Druid build. Onwards and upwards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    @YogiKudo

Can you comment on the slow-tech behaviour of the Druid and compare it to the Knolly? I'm also interested how the Druid "wheelies" and "manuals" compared to the Knolly. One reviewer stated that the long(ish) chainstays combined with the HP design make the Druid difficult to get on the backwheel.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    @YogiKudo

Can you comment on the slow-tech behaviour of the Druid and compare it to the Knolly? I'm also interested how the Druid "wheelies" and "manuals" compared to the Knolly. One reviewer stated that the long(ish) chainstays combined with the HP design make the Druid difficult to get on the backwheel.

Thanks
    I think the axle path may make it different to wheelie/manual. I don't do extended wheelies or manuals other than normal to me technical riding moves. Wheelie pops and manuals don't seem to be radically different to me on the obstacles I ride all the time. J

mtbr member
    I finally installed my tailored Ride Wrap kit today. In short, it almost cost me my sanity and my relationship. Total hatchet job. I almost cried more than once, and came close to ripping it all off my frame.

And to add insult to injury, I have a second tailored kit that I ordered for my Honzo. So yeah. More good times ahead.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the product. I should have known not to try this on my own. Itís my fault.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of the Druid build. Onwards and upwards.
    One good turn deserves another........

Any updates
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    One good turn deserves another........

Any updates
    Thanks man.

It's built. Just waiting for a spindle from RaceFace which, based on past experience, could take forever.

Apart from that though, it's done.

I have not weighed it yet but I understand from my buddies (who have weighed it) that it is 29+ lbs with pedals, a 36 fork and Minions. So a decent weight for a large frame, given that there has been no gram counting involved with the build.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Thanks man.

It's built. Just waiting for a spindle from RaceFace which, based on past experience, could take forever.

Apart from that though, it's done.

I have not weighed it yet but I understand from my buddies (who have weighed it) that it is 29+ lbs with pedals, a 36 fork and Minions. So a decent weight for a large frame, given that there has been no gram counting involved with the build.
    Nice. So looking forward to this build!
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the classified section is down currently but if anyone is looking for a medium black frame i will shamelessly leave this here.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    the classified section is down currently but if anyone is looking for a medium black frame i will shamelessly leave this here.
    Interesting. Care to expand as to the reason for the quick divorce?
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting. Care to expand as to the reason for the quick divorce?
    sure. it's more bike than i need right now. i didn't realize it would be such a brawler at 130mm, it's really impressive that way. i ride a lot of slow techie stuff and i should have probably just got a ripley.

high pivot witchcraft
    sure. it's more bike than i need right now. i didn't realize it would be such a brawler at 130mm, it's really impressive that way. i ride a lot of slow techie stuff and i should have probably just got a ripley.
    Interesting. Would you say that the Druid is not a fun bike in the slow techie stuff? If not, why not? Thanks.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting. Would you say that the Druid is not a fun bike in the slow techie stuff? If not, why not? Thanks.
    I don't think it's that, I think it didn't suit my style, but it could undoubtedly suit yours. A lot of factors in play here...where you ride, how you ride etc... I wanted a playful, poppy trail bike, and that isn't what it is for me. I'm also finding that I don't love the super steep seat tube thing, I've tried a few bikes with 77 deg seat tubes, and I found that it was forcing me to ride with my weight over the front of the bike and I don't like that. The Druid is a great bike; all the reviews are solid, I'm just not finding great for me. I had an Offering and ended up selling it, and I've been an Evil guy since the beginning. It was more playful than the Druid but not as strong of a descender IMO, damn that Druid can crush square edge. If you want one bike that does it all I'd say the Druid is pretty damn close. I wouldn't think twice about bringing it to the bike park or on some steep techy terrain, that's where it thrives. If you want a snappy sub 30lbs trail bike look elsewhere IMO.

high pivot witchcraft
    I don't think it's that, I think it didn't suit my style, but it could undoubtedly suit yours. A lot of factors in play here...where you ride, how you ride etc... I wanted a playful, poppy trail bike, and that isn't what it is for me. I'm also finding that I don't love the super steep seat tube thing, I've tried a few bikes with 77 deg seat tubes, and I found that it was forcing me to ride with my weight over the front of the bike and I don't like that. The Druid is a great bike; all the reviews are solid, I'm just not finding great for me. I had an Offering and ended up selling it, and I've been an Evil guy since the beginning. It was more playful than the Druid but not as strong of a descender IMO, damn that Druid can crush square edge. If you want one bike that does it all I'd say the Druid is pretty damn close. I wouldn't think twice about bringing it to the bike park or on some steep techy terrain, that's where it thrives. If you want a snappy sub 30lbs trail bike look elsewhere IMO.
    Thanks tons for taking the time to share that. Very much appreciated.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    My Druid is done.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_dc.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_dd.jpg

Wow. This is going to be fun.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 05-22-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    My Druid is done.

Wow. This is going to be fun.
    bastard
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    A whole lotta fun!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    We need more updates lol. This bike seems to be the closest thing to the quiver killer. Trail bike that is fine on tamer single track and can punch above its weight class to ride Enduro courses, albeit slower than a full out Enduro rig.

Define slow techy stuff? Like trials hops to clear large rock faces, with lots of track stands?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamkam View Post
    We need more updates lol. This bike seems to be the closest thing to the quiver killer. Trail bike that is fine on tamer single track and can punch above its weight class to ride Enduro courses, albeit slower than a full out Enduro rig.

Define slow techy stuff? Like trials hops to clear large rock faces, with lots of track stands?
    I have only had mine on pavement so far but I am happy to report that all of my concerns about low speed issues and problems pulling the front end up have been instantly erased. I have no idea what points of reference the MBR author was using but to say that this bike's front end is difficult to pull up is complete bullshit.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013

The bike is at it's best on slow techy trails as the rear path negates the chain tension present on other designs and doesn't get hung up on rocks/roots. In reality, this difference is pretty subtle but it's there.The slower you are going the more noticeable this is as there is less speed to overcome the chain tension. J

Shartacular Spectacular
    I have only had mine on pavement so far but I am happy to report that all of my concerns about low speed issues and problems pulling the front end up have been instantly erased. I have no idea what points of reference the MBR author was using but to say that this bike's front end is difficult to pull up is complete bullshit.
    Still too much snow where youíre at? Otherwise, I canít imagine being able to resist getting it out where it belongs.
    18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Still too much snow where youíre at? Otherwise, I canít imagine being able to resist getting it out where it belongs.
    It's still very wet at altitude but mostly, I have been under siege following a recent "promotion". I will be putting it through its paces this weekend.

On pavement the bar feels a little narrow (it's uncut at 800 mm), the fork feels a little floppy (it's a 36 at the spec'ed 44 offset), the cockpit feels a little short, and the bar feels a little low. All first world problems that I will tweak if I don't get used to it all.

All that said, this is going to be the nicest bike I have ever owned. I know that already. I can very distinctly feel the benefit of the rearward axle path hitting curbs at speed.

I am a former owner of another of Owen Pemberton's creations - a 2015 Range, which also purportedly had a rearward axle path. Between the 2 bikes, there is no comparison. None. The Druid truly is going to be next level, once I get it in its element.

EDIT: I tweaked the saddle tilt and dropper height which pretty much addressed all the cockpit issues mentioned above. On to suspension fiddling now... Setting sag is not as easy as on other bikes because the shock stanchion is somewhat buried in the frame.

EDIT: There is no additional driveline drag that I detect from the idler pulley and chain guides. If there is, it is pretty much immaterial.

EDIT: Standover is awesome and for whatever reason, I can do a track stand longer on this bike than any other bike I have or have had. Track stands are effortless. I suspect a low center of gravity may be assisting in this regard.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 05-25-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    It's still very wet at altitude but mostly, I have been under siege following a recent "promotion". I will be putting it through its paces this weekend.

On pavement the bar feels a little narrow (it's uncut at 800 mm), the fork feels a little floppy (it's a 36 at the spec'ed 44 offset), the cockpit feels a little short, and the bar feels a little low. All first world problems that I will tweak if I don't get used to it all.

All that said, this is going to be the nicest bike I have ever owned. I know that already. I can very distinctly feel the benefit of the rearward axle path hitting curbs at speed.

I am a former owner of another of Owen Pemberton's creations - a 2015 Range, which also purportedly had a rearward axle path. Between the 2 bikes, there is no comparison. None. The Druid truly is going to be next level, once I get it in its element.

EDIT: I tweaked the saddle tilt and dropper height which pretty much addressed all the cockpit issues mentioned above. On to suspension fiddling now... Setting sag is not as easy as on other bikes because the shock stanchion is somewhat buried in the frame.

EDIT: There is no additional driveline drag that I detect from the idler pulley and chain guides. If there is, it is pretty much immaterial.

EDIT: Standover is awesome and for whatever reason, I can do a track stand longer on this bike than any other bike I have or have had. Track stands are effortless. I suspect a low center of gravity may be assisting in this regard.
    So bad ass to hear this mtnbkrmike! Looking forward to hearing some trail reports once you find a way to get away from the workdesk.

Have a good one man!
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    I am on the edge of my seat.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    I am on the edge of my seat.

Try to contain yourself Legbacon.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Lots of great feedback on the bike in this thread. I like how itís balanced with some guys loving the Druid it, and for one person, it didnít hit the mark. OK, now where do I startÖ
    I came off of a Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 S3 (stroked to ~152 mm with a 210 x 55 mm shock). When I got the medium Druid frame, I tossed all the parts from the Stumpy onto the Druid. I wasnít sure I would like the bike, so this was me dipping my toe in the water. I never weighed the Stumpy, but the Druid was a tank at 34 pounds. Remember, Ďlowí end burly build. But the great thing was that I was very comfortable with all the parts, so I could really concentrate on the frame.

Sizing - Coming off the Stumpy with a reach of 475 mm, I was a little concerned going to the medium Druid with a reach of 445-450. But the funny thing is that it didnít feel all that much different. Some of the reviews have said the bike fits a little big and thatís my feeling too. The one thing Iíve really noticed is the steep seat tube angle. So awesome. No more low back pain! The Stumpy is quoted as having a steep seat angle (effective), but it still feels a bit slack once itís at the top. The Druid is spot on for the trails I ride most (North Vancouver).

Climbing - I tested the rear shock anywhere between 180-195 psi (I weigh 185 lbs). I didnít notice a huge difference in climbing efficiency between the pressures. Overall, I would say it climbed very similar to the Stumpy. Stumpy had no idler or chainguide, Druid has more anti-squat. Maybe Iíd give the edge to the Druid on the trail, but itís pretty close. One thing I really noticed is the comfort on rough sections of the climb. I was still able to motor over roots, etc, but it was really comfortable on my rear end. One thing Iíve noticed (with this heavy build), on really slow and steep sections where Iíve already burned a couple matches, I think I notice the extra drag with the idler/chainguide. Itís just that little bit harder to get the momentum to get up and over something. The only thing that makes up for that is the super supple suspension that seems to grip everything when youíre just a few mm short.

Flat sections - All the drag in the drivetrain feels gone when the trail is a bit flat. And this bike is tons of fun to pump all the rollers and hop from almost everything.

Descending - This bike rides big on the DH. Super sensitive initial stroke; it crazy. The only bike that comes close in this regard is my Nomad with a coil. Itís that good. Mid stroke is good, or at least I didnít notice anything off about it. But that end stroke, wow. Nicely done Forbidden! I definitely use all the travel, but I never feel like Iím slamming off the end of the shock. This bike handles everything very well. The only place where Iíve felt the shorter travel is on steep AND rough trails. Then itís little harder to rein things in when I get going a little too fast.

Last thing, is the Druid play or plow? When Iíve set the sag in the 30-33% range and rebound on the slowish side, it feels more composed and likes the ground a bit better. At around 20% sag with rebound on the faster side itís a little more unsettled, but itís very easy to get airborne. Somewhere in the middle, you get the idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi! I canít demo the druid and I am trying to figure out the bike feel. Is it sporty as a yeti or more planted as a knolly for example? I tried the sb150 and loved its shockingly efficient under pedaling forces and playful nature/reactivity for such a big bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by malvoize View Post
    Hi! I canít demo the druid and I am trying to figure out the bike feel. Is it sporty as a yeti or more planted as a knolly for example? I tried the sb150 and loved its shockingly efficient under pedaling forces and playful nature/reactivity for such a big bike. Thanks
    The bikes comparable to the Druid would be the Yeti SB130 and the Knolly Fugitive LT. The SB150 is for a different application. It's not a trail bike in my opinion. Leg Bacon has a Fugitive and has ridden the Druid so he may have some insights on that comparison. Knolly changed the pedalling kinematics on the Fugitive. I don't think there is much in it for these three. All great platforms. My wife has an SB5. The Knolly is heavier by 2-3 pounds if that matters. The SB130 would be about a pound heavier than the Druid.My Druid is 30 lbs with pedals and coil front end. If you are on the heavier spectrum, the Knolly and the Druid's rear ends are mucho stiffer than the Yeti. J

mtbr member
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-2019-06-11-20.25.11.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-2019-06-11-20.25.06.jpg

Not enough time to overly comment. Love the frame and sizing. Didn't overly care for the DPX2 shock, which is surprising as I have been a fan of it. The Float X2 matches the fork and my style of riding a bit more.

More to follow...

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post

Name:	2019-06-11 20.25.11.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	287.1 KB 
ID:	1257037

Name:	2019-06-11 20.25.06.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	1257039

Not enough time to overly comment. Love the frame and sizing. Didn't overly care for the DPX2 shock, which is surprising as I have been a fan of it. The Float X2 matches the fork and my style of riding a bit more.

More to follow...
    Interesting. No pop with the DPX2?
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Interesting. No pop with the DPX2?
    I know, unless I got a dud. The DPX2 in general has been my favorite shock and generally prefer it over the Float X2, I like the keep it simple stupid approach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Finally got mine built up after waiting on Fox for a few months...hitting dirt today. A quick note on sizing, I went with a 40mm stem on a large frame. I'm 5'11" on a good day and the sitting length feels a touch short with saddle rails in the middle, may switch to a 50mm after the first ride.

Question to my fellow riders, has anyone ridden this bike with an oval chainring? The one weird thing I noticed when I jumped on the bike is that the pedaling felt notchy at a certain point in the stroke which has me thinking that because of the high pivot design and the bike lengthening as it goes through the travel. Having a chain ring that is changing sizes during rotation may be playing with how the bike pedals? I've been riding ovals for a few years now and never felt this before.

Pics for attention!
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-forbidden-druid-1-.jpg
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-forbidden-druid-2-.jpg

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    Finally got mine built up after waiting on Fox for a few months...hitting dirt today. A quick note on sizing, I went with a 40mm stem on a large frame. I'm 5'11" on a good day and the sitting length feels a touch short with saddle rails in the middle, may switch to a 50mm after the first ride.

Question to my fellow riders, has anyone ridden this bike with an oval chainring? The one weird thing I noticed when I jumped on the bike is that the pedaling felt notchy at a certain point in the stroke which has me thinking that because of the high pivot design and the bike lengthening as it goes through the travel. Having a chain ring that is changing sizes during rotation may be playing with how the bike pedals? I've been riding ovals for a few years now and never felt this before.

Pics for attention!

5í10Ē. 50 mm stem. 800 mm bar. The cockpit is not what I would call roomy. That said, the steep STA and overall geo make this a super comfortable climber and lots and lots of fun to ride on the flats as well (for me at least).

I have an oval ring on my Honzo. I wouldnít dare try one on the Druid because of the freaky driveline. Thereís just too much shit already going on down there to add to the craziness. Among other things, I worry about the wear and tear on the idler with a conventional ring, let alone an oval one.

On a different note, I got hold of 2 ShockWizes that I have for a few more days. I am also running a Factory 36 (Fit4). I have my shock DIALLED. Still working on my fork. 185 lbs out of the shower. FWIW, I will post my settings once I get the fork dialled.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Pics for attention!

Name:	Forbidden Druid (1).jpg 
Views:	2711 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	1258137

Name:	Forbidden Druid (2).jpg 
Views:	3386 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	1258139
    I ran an oval ring for one ride. Felt exactly what you're describing. The inchworm feeling was very pronounced. Back to a regular round ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    This probably applies to the druid, but advice I got from hugh the engineer behind the craftworks enr which is another high pivot with idler bike.

Yes, you can fit an oval chainring to the ENR. However, it will need to be 'clocked' forward by about 65 degrees to work as intended (due to the angle that chain approaches the front chainring).

This may or may not be possible, depending on what brand crank/chainring youíre thinking of using.

If you can get hold of a RaceFace Cinch crankset, you might be able to get it pretty close by clocking the chainring forwards 3x positions (which would be 67.5 degrees, based on a 16 spline interface from what I can see on the 'net).
    Last edited by Kamkam; 06-17-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Typo

No known cure
    I'd like to a frame in 27.5, coil compatible with 150mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This probably applies to the druid, but advice I got from hugh the engineer behind the craftworks enr which is another high pivot with idler bike.

Yes, you can fit an oval chainring to the ENR. However, it will need to be 'clocked' forward by about 65 degrees to work as intended (due to the angle that chain approaches the front chainring).

This may or may not be possible, depending on what brand crank/chainring youíre thinking of using.

If you can get hold of a RaceFace Cinch crankset, you might be able to get it pretty close by clocking the chainring forwards 3x positions (which would be 67.5 degrees, based on a 16 spline interface from what I can see on the 'net).
    Thanks for the insight Kamkam, fortunately I already had a RF Cinch crankset on the bike and rotated my chain 3 positions forward like you mentioned. It definitely worked! Tested it on the stand and it was noticeably better in terms of feeling smooth and not notchy. The same feeling transferred when actually getting on the bike, felt like any other bike with an oval ring. Might try a round to see if there is any noticeable difference in climbing but overall very happy!

A few comments on my first ride. Climbing was average, not sporty feeling but not sluggish. Very impressed with the rearward axle path in terms of rolling over rocks and roots and also felt very comfortable in the seated position. The downhill ability is where the bike shines, it likes to get loose and rowdy! Very impressed on the amount of grip and ability to turn on a dime in flat corners. I look forward to spending some more time on the bike!

high pivot witchcraft
    I think I have enough ride time now to be able to throw out some random thoughts on the Druid. I am interested to hear whether any other Druid owners agree or disagree with these comments.

I am still dialling in the fork, but I think I have the shock settings nailed. I am also still learning about this bike. Each successive time out results in a faster time, and a bigger grin on my face. Hopefully I can keep that trend going for a while.

Observations to date:

1. Fast AF on the downs. Fastest bike by far that I have ever ridden. And I sense I am not near its limits yet. I may never find them - I can't go too much faster without seriously risking life and limb.

2. Very versatile. You can straightline it through the gnarliest of shit at speed without hesitation. This thing is rock solid holding a line. But you can also launch it off of natural trail features effortlessly. It's a rare combo of a ground hugging speed machine, that transforms into a poppy lively bike searching for air when you want it to.

3. It corners like it is on rails. I am shitty when it comes to high speed cornering. This bike makes me feel like a hero. I am not joking. There is something about the geo that allows me to intuitively execute all the technical stuff I have read about cornering techniques, without even thinking. This bike has made me a MUCH better biker. And like I said, I am still learning about it and getting more and more comfortable on it.

4. The centre of gravity is loooooooooow. I have never been able to do effortless endless brake stands on any other bike like I can on this one. This really aids in low speed maneuvering on technical man made features.

5. It's a visually stunning bike. It screams speed from every angle. I feel very proud to own this bike.

6. The on-bike storage (including the reverse SWAT Box and extra bottle bosses) makes riding packless a breeze. Well thought out extra touches like this can be found front to back (including the super high quality hardware used).

The downs:

1. It's a decent climber, but this is not a high point for this bike, as far as I am concerned. I can still climb all the tech trails no problem. It's just that I feel a tad more tired at the summit than when I am on certain other bikes. That said, I never feel the urge to fiddle with the climb switch.

2. The front end can be a bit of a beast to lift onto ledges when climbing. It's obviously 100% doable, but I need to exert myself much more on this bike than on other bikes.

3. I noticed brake jack when I did not have the suspension dialled. That seems to have disappeared now that I am in the zone on my suspension settings.

4. The driveline can be kinda noisy when pedalling under load. I am a little concerned about its life (and the availability of parts down the road).

5. The shock stanchion can be tough to access for cleaning and measuring SAG.

6. I don't really "get" the super wide seat mast, from either a design or engineering perspective. Obviously a first world problem.

I still need to dial in the fork. Even so, this bike is crazy fun and exciting. It makes me want to bike every waking hour. I have been in the mountains 5 times in the last 3 days, and can't wait to get back, Thoughts of effortless cornering and the highest speeds I have ever attained on a bike, make me want to head back out there right now.

PS - contrary to some concerns I have read online, there is no risk of catching your nuts in the driveline.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 06-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Catching your nuts would take bigger balls than I have.

My boss says the brake jack has made him brake harder and later. He is very fast DH and loves the Druid.

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    It's great that the bike is enabling you to go faster. Contrary to what you read on MTBR, fast IS fun.

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think I have enough ride time now to be able to throw out some random thoughts on the Druid. I am interested to hear whether any other Druid owners agree or disagree with these comments.

I am still dialling in the fork, but I think I have the shock settings nailed. I am also still learning about this bike. Each successive time out results in a faster time, and a bigger grin on my face. Hopefully I can keep that trend going for a while.

Observations to date:

1. Fast AF on the downs. Fastest bike by far that I have ever ridden. And I sense I am not near its limits yet. I may never find them - I can't go too much faster without seriously risking life and limb.

2. Very versatile. You can straightline it through the gnarliest of shit at speed without hesitation. This thing is rock solid holding a line. But you can also launch it off of natural trail features effortlessly. It's a rare combo of a ground hugging speed machine, that transforms into a poppy lively bike searching for air when you want it to.

3. It corners like it is on rails. I am shitty when it comes to high speed cornering. This bike makes me feel like a hero. I am not joking. There is something about the geo that allows me to intuitively execute all the technical stuff I have read about cornering techniques, without even thinking. This bike has made me a MUCH better biker. And like I said, I am still learning about it and getting more and more comfortable on it.

4. The centre of gravity is loooooooooow. I have never been able to do effortless endless brake stands on any other bike like I can on this one. This really aids in low speed maneuvering on technical man made features.

5. It's a visually stunning bike. It screams speed from every angle. I feel very proud to own this bike.

6. The on-bike storage (including the reverse SWAT Box and extra bottle bosses) makes riding packless a breeze. Well thought out extra touches like this can be found front to back (including the super high quality hardware used).

The downs:

1. It's a decent climber, but this is not a high point for this bike, as far as I am concerned. I can still climb all the tech trails no problem. It's just that I feel a tad more tired at the summit than when I am on certain other bikes. That said, I never feel the urge to fiddle with the climb switch.

2. The front end can be a bit of a beast to lift onto ledges when climbing. It's obviously 100% doable, but I need to exert myself much more on this bike than on other bikes.

3. I noticed brake jack when I did not have the suspension dialled. That seems to have disappeared now that I am in the zone on my suspension settings.

4. The driveline can be kinda noisy when pedalling under load. I am a little concerned about its life (and the availability of parts down the road).

5. The shock stanchion can be tough to access for cleaning and measuring SAG.

6. I don't really "get" the super wide seat mast, from either a design or engineering perspective. Obviously a first world problem.

I still need to dial in the fork. Even so, this bike is crazy fun and exciting. It makes me want to bike every waking hour. I have been in the mountains 5 times in the last 3 days, and can't wait to get back, Thoughts of effortless cornering and the highest speeds I have ever attained on a bike, make me want to head back out there right now.

PS - contrary to some concerns I have read online, there is no risk of catching your nuts in the driveline.
    I agree with you about how fast this bike is. It is deceptively quick. You don't feel like you're going as fast as you really are. I think it has something to do with the rearward axle path. It doesn't seem to get hung up as much on all the trail chatter and carries speed extremely well instead of getting bogged down in all the little bumps and holes in the trail.

high pivot witchcraft
    Catching your nuts would take bigger balls than I have.

My boss says the brake jack has made him brake harder and later. He is very fast DH and loves the Druid.

Before I got my suspension dialed, the brake jack was noticeable - typical single pivot brake jack. As a result, I was trying to do what your boss was doing - trying to brake at very opportune times only on relatively buff sections, and straightlining it through the gnar. As I mentioned above, after I got my suspension dialed, the brake jack has all but disappeared for me. I imagine itís still there to some degree but I no longer notice anything.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    I agree with you about how fast this bike is. It is deceptively quick. You don't feel like you're going as fast as you really are. I think it has something to do with the rearward axle path. It doesn't seem to get hung up as much on all the trail chatter and carries speed extremely well instead of getting bogged down in all the little bumps and holes in the trail.
    Agreed. I told my GF last night that I need to Strava my next ride to get some objective speed numbers. I know I am going SIGNIFICANTLY faster than I ever have on any other bike, but like you say, the Druid is so solid and holds a line so well, and itís rear wheel does not get hooked or hung up on the square edged stuff, that I unknowingly reach previously unattainable speeds that feel totally manageable.

The only other bike that glided over the shit like this one, was my 2015 Range - also an Owen Pemberton creation. The problem with that bike was that it had a ridiculous amount of AS and pedal kickback due to the absence of an idler.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    What do you guys think about my comment that it can be a beast to yank up the front end? Do you notice that? Maybe itís a product of how I have my suspension set up.

Right now, that is the only real criticism I have. And itís a small one.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What do you guys think about my comment that it can be a beast to yank up the front end? Do you notice that? Maybe itís a product of how I have my suspension set up.

Right now, that is the only real criticism I have. And itís a small one.
    yeah. I can feel that a little although I haven't taken it on any super techy climbs just yet. overall climbing on this bike is fine, not the best but it gets the job done.

I agree with you. There really isn't much to criticize with this bike. I've owned a ton of bikes over the years and have yet to come upon a "short travel" 29 trail bike that I've enjoyed as much as the Druid. Most of these bikes leave me wanting a bigger bike for the descent and get overwhelmed at speed. This bike punches way above what it should for a 130 mm travel bike.

mtbr member
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-r2cd7.jpg

Glad to see that you've been able to get out and ride some and share your feedback. Looks like a you may have found the perfect bike for where you ride.

Looking forward to getting high (pivot)
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    I had the Druid out yesterday after days of torrential rain. I am rethinking this bikeís climbing prowess.

At slightly slower speed, the Druid clawed its way up some reasonably technical, non-fire road climbing with ease. In fact, I had a ton of gas left in the tank when I reached the summit. Not riding for a couple of days during the downpours and being well rested yesterday certainly helped, but I was still very shocked with how well this bike dug in and clawed its way up the slippery, muddy, rooty, rocky sections. I do not recall a single instance of my rear tire breaking loose on the climbs.

Similar experience on the downs. Rock solid, although I did ratchet back the speed. Not one holy shit moment that I can recall. And this was on Minions, which arenít the greatest in the slop.

When I was making my way back to the trailhead, covered head to toe in mud, I wondered whether my Druid may have been happy that it got to experience some West Coast riding conditions, which might have eased its home sickness :-)

Now only if I can stop the irritating noise coming from my DPX2...

Happily, I never feel the need to reach for the climb switch. I leave both high and low speed compression in the shock wide open 100% of the time.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I had the Druid out yesterday after days of torrential rain. I am rethinking this bikeís climbing prowess.

At slightly slower speed, the Druid clawed its way up some reasonably technical, non-fire road climbing with ease. In fact, I had a ton of gas left in the tank when I reached the summit. Not riding for a couple of days during the downpours and being well rested yesterday certainly helped, but I was still very shocked with how well this bike dug in and clawed its way up the slippery, muddy, rooty, rocky sections. I do not recall a single instance of my rear tire breaking loose on the climbs.

Similar experience on the downs. Rock solid, although I did ratchet back the speed. Not one holy shit moment that I can recall. And this was on Minions, which arenít the greatest in the slop.

When I was making my way back to the trailhead, covered head to toe in mud, I wondered whether my Druid may have been happy that it got to experience some West Coast riding conditions, which might have eased its home sickness :-)

Now only if I can stop the irritating noise coming from my DPX2...

Happily, I never feel the need to reach for the climb switch. I leave both high and low speed compression in the shock wide open 100% of the time.
    Stoked every time i hear a ride report!
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    One of the first guys to have a pre-production Druid gushed constantly that it was the best climbing bike he'd ever been on. I assumed it was because he was finally on a bike with a decent STA for his long legs.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

One of the first guys to have a pre-production Druid gushed constantly that it was the best climbing bike he'd ever been on. I assumed it was because he was finally on a bike with a decent STA for his long legs.
    The STA is likely a big part of it. No need to be shifting around in the saddle anymore, even on the steepest climbs.

I think the way the rear end stays planted and doesnít seem to get caught up on anything when climbing techy sections also plays a big role. No more pedal strikes either now that I have my suspension dialled. All of those things helped me yesterday I think (in addition to feeing rested and strong).

Overall I think what is helping me a lot is what feels to me to be a super low centre of gravity and standover.

But yes - the steep STA and overall geo put me in a really solid and confident riding position. Now that I have my suspension dialled, I have yet to have my tires unintentionally break free on me on the ups, downs, or anything in between.

Itís a really great bike. The best I have ever owned. I strongly believe it is making me a significantly stronger rider, especially in the cornering. I feel very fortunate to own one.

PS - apologies to all for the continual posting, which I am sure is getting irritating for some. Probably best to sit back at this time and wait for others to wade in.

One final word though - I sure do hope that the idler pulley does not end up failing at some point. No idea how readily available parts would be if anything needs to be replaced. I was actually wondering about contacting Forbidden and seeing if I can buy that assembly, and a few other unique parts to keep on hand, just in case.

Ok, one more...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8634.jpg

The Druid has a few of the boxes checked...
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Cross post - zero action in the Shocks and Suspension subforum:

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...2-1107229.html

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The squeak from the DPX2 is normal. I wondered the same thing the first time I was on this shock. It seems to dissipate over time or my hearing is on the downward slope. J

high pivot witchcraft
    The squeak from the DPX2 is normal. I wondered the same thing the first time I was on this shock. It seems to dissipate over time or my hearing is on the downward slope. J
    My last 2 DPX2s have had a swooshing noise. This is different. This is a high pitched squeak about 10x a second that is loud and irritating AF. Guys I just rode with could hear it loud and clear and commented on it (in a very bad way) without me saying anything about it. It is definitely not normal.

Do you clean your stanchion? If so, how do you get at it? I canít get in there.

Thanks for the reply.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My last 2 DPX2s have had a swooshing noise. This is different. This is a high pitched squeak about 10x a second that is loud and irritating AF. Guys I just rode with could hear it loud and clear and commented on it (in a very bad way) without me saying anything about it. It is definitely not normal.

Thanks for the reply.
    Havenít noticed the squeak noise from my dpx2 but I have wondered about putting a different shock on this bike. Anybody run a coil or the float x2?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm fortunate to have a long middle finger developed over it's 58 years of extensive use. I can squirm in there and clean the shock. J

high pivot witchcraft
    I spent the last 3 days riding the Druid. Sunday I spent 5+ hours in the saddle.

Tonight I rode most of the ride with the shock in the middle position. Incredible.

I think I have the suspension absolutely dialled on this bike. Itís amazing how the rear end devours anything in its path, with the shock in either the wide open OR the trail position.

I hate my SRAM drivetrain though. I am going to replace it with a new Shimano offering. I am officially done with everything SRAM.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What's wrong with the SRAM drivetrain?

Can you check the clearance between your crankarm and the chainstay? Does the gap clear a 10mm Hex? I want to install a Stages Powermeter...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Hi, Does any one know the tire clearance ? I:E dose a nice 2.6" tire fit nicely or will it be thigt!..
    I'd be superhappy if someone with a claipper would measure the chainstay inside.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egil Borgne View Post
    Hi, Does any one know the tire clearance ? I:E dose a nice 2.6" tire fit nicely or will it be thigt!..
    I'd be superhappy if someone with a claipper would measure the chainstay inside.
    A 2.5 DHF fits fine. My guess is the 2.6 will be really tight and will probably run on the chain guide with some (a lot?) of wheel flex. Iím assuming youíre talking about a proper 2.6, like a maxxis. If youíre thinking a 2.6 Specialized Butcher, you should have no problem.

high pivot witchcraft
    Post #7 may be of some assistance.

Whoops. I didnít see the post above mine when I replied. Sorry megrim.

I don't have callipers or I would measure the clearance.

As an aside, I am currently rocking mine with some season old 2.3 Minions* that are absolutely ripping on that bike. I couldn't ask for more from this bike, and have no urge to move to 2.5s, let alone 2.6s.

*on We Are One Insiders and DT 240 hubs with the 36 tooth star ratchet "upgrade"
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

Gloworm Lights
    So, for transparency reasons, I must mention that my company is the new Forbidden importers for NZ.

We received our first demo frame a couple of weeks back and only just finished building her up.

Our first shipment arrives by the end of August but wanted to get my leg over one before stock arrives so it can be shown to prospective customers.

Anyway, that out of the way. Here is my first ride analysis and build spec.

Rider - 178cm/220lb/82cm inseam/75cm saddle height/Intermediate level rider
    Frame - Medium
    Fork - Pike Ultimate 150mm (85psi) 1 token
    Shock - DPX2 as supplied 245 psi
    Drive Train - SRAM X01
    Brakes - Guide RSC (200mm rotor front, 180 rear)
    Wheels - Industry Nine Enduro Carbon System
    Tyres - DHF WT EXO 2.5 Front / DHR2 WT EXO 2.4 Rear (max IMHO - though other brands might differ) Tubeless
    Post - Bike Yoke Revive 185mm
    Saddle - Spank Oozy
    Bars - Renthal Fatbar Carbon Limited Edition with Ultra Tacky Grips
    Stem - Industry Nine A35 50mm
    Weight - 30lb

First observation - the bike was too small for me. That I assumed when I ordered the bike but it was the only one available.

Build - it was very easy to build. Cable routing works well but it should be noted it's easier to route cable without the fork in place. Standard BB and headset make the component choice easy. Also, it must be mentioned that the routing for the seatpost is also well thought out and very simple. It drops through into the cavity near the BB then up through the downtube.

Carpark test - Sitting on the bike, it feels like no other bike i've carpark tested. Weird? Different? either way, it's not made for the carpark except for the fact you can test the rearward axle path. Which I did! I rode straight toward an 8 inch curb, lifted the front wheel and then let the rear wheel slam into the curb - wow. I barely felt it. Now that got me excited about the first ride! It also hopped and manualled very easily. Probably thanks to short rear end and trifecta suspension.

First Ride - The trail centre where the first ride was conducted is majority Grade 2-3 with some 4. No real 5. So we headed straight for the more difficult options through well-known terrain so that it gave a direct comparison to previous rides/bikes.

Gravel Roads - pedals well and rolls very well once up to speed. It doesn't feel 'snappy' when putting down the power (i.e. cannot feel a direct hard clunk when engaging the cranks), however, this didn't mean it wasn't engaging power - it was, it just didn't feel that way.

Rolly Single Track - The bike just carries speed. Period. The more you jump and pump the more you are rewarded. Hopping trail features came easily, making impossible transitions, possible. The bike was very active and wanted to be ridden hard. Point to note here - this was a small bike for my size, so some of this effect could have been attributed to this. Also, the bike manualed very well through rollers.

Tech Down (grade 4) - Similar effects to the rolly terrain were felt. The bike was playful and carried speed on almost all terrain types. At one stage I rolled with speed through a deep g-out and came launching out of it like a coiled spring. Other bikes would have stalled in the G-out. The main thing I noticed on the stepper stuff is that I had a choice, charge through roots and rough sections or hop into/over them. Either way the bike loved it. Then there is the stability. Steep drops into rough or smooth terrain were met by a very confident feel on the landing. The bike felt planted almost glued to the ground. A couple of landings were less than ideal, squirrely I guess, but the bike stuck. The only letdown on the bike during these sections was the Pike. It either needs more tokens or to be replaced by a Lyrik or 36.

Drop and Jumps - There was one quick jump section that I know well on these trails. They are not big, but they are high speed and if misjudged could cause some serious damage due to overshoot. As the Druid carries a lot of speed this could have been a concern. The druid scrubbed well and jumped low when needed. The fact it stuck its landings so well was a saving grace as my confidence grew on this section. I also hit a couple of 15-foot step-downs, which the druid didn't blink at. It was balanced in the air and stable on the landing.

Climbing and Pedal Assist - I tried the pedal-assist once on a mundane climb and it seemed to hinder the grip and pedaling ability of the druid. In my mind, the druid climbed more efficiently when the suspension was wide open and doing what it was designed to do. On long Gravel climbs, I switched it to the 'locked' position and it worked as you would expect. We attempted one of the more difficult climbs in the park, a 10min grind with some pretty tech sections, including off-camber with roots, multiple root sections, steep to pinch and steep hairpins. All handled with grace. No, it's not an XC whippet. It's not going to race up these climbs like a mountain goat. But it does climb very well. At one stage I stalled as my front wheel got caught. I paused, regained my balance, lifted the front over the object and then put the power down. Other bikes would have lost grip at this stage - not the Druid. I felt the rear suspension lower, engage grip and then propel the bike forward. I was impressed.

Summary - This is a first ride report on a bike that was too small for me on trails that were probably too easy for the design of the bike.
    However, sections of the park gave me a brief insight into the capability of this bike and why we have taken it on board as a new brand.

The bike was well balanced and stable on all trails. It felt bottomless, to the point you would think it was a 150mm Enduro bike. It was under-forked in my opinion and deserved a more stout option, especially if you are 80kg or above. The druid pedaled very well. I would not fear the longest gravel climb or a very tech climb on this bike.

The best closing line I could give this bike is as follows:

The Druid is confidence-inspiring. It's stability and balance provide a great platform for a variety of trails, enabling it to carry speed without effort. It's grippy, playful and active - all in one.

I cannot wait to try the Large frame. Fizzing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-mtbr.jpg  

Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Gloworm - agreed on all fronts. The bike is magical. I could not possibly ask for anything more. This is the third creation of Owen Pemberton I have owned. The dude hit it straight out of the park on this one.

PS - just noticed now that you are running your shock at 245 psi. I am 185 lbs out of the shower (so a fair amount lighter than you) and run mine at 195 psi. I run my 36 fork at 72.5 psi with 1 token. Smoooooth AF.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

Gloworm Lights
    Gloworm - agreed on all fronts. The bike is magical. I could not possibly ask for anything more. This is the third creation of Owen Pemberton I have owned. The dude hit it straight out of the park on this one.

PS - just noticed now that you are running your shock at 245 psi. I am 185 lbs out of the shower (so a fair amount lighter than you) and run mine at 195 psi. I run my 36 fork at 72.5 psi with 1 token. Smoooooth AF.
    I've got a 36 lined up for when my large demo frame arrives! I run mine at 85 PSI but also have the MRP Ramp device in mine. With the DPX2 i've noticed body weight in LB + 10% is good. For the 36 85% of the body weight in KG seems good. Using both those guides, your settings are very similar to mine.

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Just finished day 3 of 5 in Fernie BC. Today I have a brand new appreciation for the Druid - climbing.

I had previously given it a ho-hum rating for climbing. Today I rode some truly technical stuff, including lots and lots of climbing. Much less fire road-like stuff today. The thing is a beast in steep, root infested, ledgy, ultra techy climbs. I had no idea before this but my God, was I overcome with shock and joy. I cleaned pretty much everything, which included stuff I have never been able to do previously.

I only hope nothing weird goes in the drivetrain that I wonít be able to replace. Including that idler pulley.

Also, I am concerned about rocks getting jammed between the seat tube and the yoke or whatever you want to call it. If a rock shoots up and lands in this area, as soon as the rear suspension is loaded and then unloaded, there could be significant frame trauma.

Druid owners - let me know what you think about the rock issue. There are lots of reports of frame damage with other bikes occurring in this manner. You will see exactly what I mean if you look at the linkage. Look down along the back of the seat tube area. My mechanic buddy recommended moto foam, which is apparently used on motocrosses to address the same issue.

Shit though. We all know this thing is a beast in the downs, punching WAY above its 130mm travel. But damn - it destroys the techy climbs too.

For me this is the unicorn of all bikes I have demoed, rented and owned, which amounts to an absolute shitload.

PS - also not crazy about the lack of activity by Forbidden. Zero activity on their website, for example, which includes the failure to post certain tech docs, which have been ďcoming soonĒ since the inception of the website. Also, zero news from them despite being on their mailing list, and virtually zero response to a number of email inquiries. I get that ride time comes first, but all the chirping crickets kinda makes me go hmmm...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8940.jpg
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

For me this is the unicorn of all bikes I have demoed, rented and owned, which amounts to an absolute shitload.

PS - also not crazy about the lack of activity by Forbidden. Zero activity on their website, for example, which includes the failure to post certain tech docs, which have been ďcoming soonĒ since the inception of the website. Also, zero news from them despite being on their mailing list, and virtually zero response to a number of email inquiries. I get that ride time comes first, but all the chirping crickets kinda makes me go hmmm...

Name:	IMG_8940.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	1267369
    So stoked to hear this! Working on getting a friend to unload his sentinel and buy a druid. Work permitting, I am also considering jumping the "k" ship and going with one of these in the spring. Cant go wrong with owning 2 high pivot bikes

Forbidden's social media seems to be more active. I see daily posts on the gram.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    So...I stumbled across this video from a VCR Island dude who demoed the exact same bike that Travis/Legbacon rode (RIP). Travis worked at Blacks, and Carter was his boss.

I agree with so many of this guy's comments, including that it is a bit difficult to describe how wicked the pedalling is on this bike.

The reason I am posting this though is this...

I am 185 out of the shower. I measured 30% SAG on the DPX2 and came up with around 225. I rode at this PSI. It was good. I then lowered it to 195. That was better. Then, following the lead of this YT reviewer, I tried 175 PSI today. Christ. Even better. A LOT better. No pedal strikes or perceived inefficiency climbing, and OMG - the downs. THE DOWNS!

I am going to try 170 tomorrow.

It just keeps getting better and better. I hope I never wake up from this beautiful dream...
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am 185 out of the shower. I measured 30% SAG on the DPX2 and came up with around 225. I rode at this PSI. It was good. I then lowered it to 195. That was better. Then, following the lead of this YT reviewer, I tried 175 PSI today. Christ. Even better. A LOT better. No pedal strikes or perceived inefficiency climbing, and OMG - the downs. THE DOWNS!

It just keeps getting better and better. I hope I never wake up from this beautiful dream...
    You mentioned how your 'cornering' technique has improved immensely on this bike in another thread. Is there a particular trail you've noticed this on...and which local trails (AB Rockies) have you really been enjoying/capitalizing on with the Druid (i.e. how has it been on the techy UPs of Razors)?

mtbr member
    So...I stumbled across this video from a VCR Island dude who demoed the exact same bike that Travis/Legbacon rode (RIP). Travis worked at Blacks, and Carter was his boss.

I agree with so many of this guy's comments, including that it is a bit difficult to describe how wicked the pedalling is on this bike.

The reason I am posting this though is this...

Stoked to hear these trail reports and nice to see you so excited about a new bike. Definitely standing out over the others

Tossed my trailbike frame on the classifieds, and eyeing a druid in forest moss to join the other high pivot this fall.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Dustin and Jordan of We Are One rockin their personal Druids in Kamloops. These guys donít seem to have any issues getting this bike in the air...

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/not-a-ty...-the-kbra.html
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just when I thought this bike couldnít get any better...
    Picked up a super deluxe coil, 450 lb spring. Iím about 205-210 ready to ride
    Felt about right. Opened up the LSC all the way and messed with the rebound a bit.

Short version- itís better everywhere.

The ride was a fairly significant climb to some steep and loose gnar. Then a flowy downhill section, finishing with multiple laps at the bike park

Climbing: I was objectively faster on almost every segment of the climb. Iíve done this climb over 100 times and the bike just flew up the trail. The pedaling was very efficient, no need for the climb switch, if anything it made the climbing bumpier and more painful

Downhill: forget it. Better everywhere. Super composed and supple. It just ate bumps. The small bump sensitivity was much improved. Little bumps were gone, big square edge bumps at speed got eaten up. I carried so much more speed everywhere, especially at the park. I cleared or over overshot jumps that Iíve never been able to clear in the past. Landing jumps and drops was effortless. The bike felt very composed. Just all around amazing

Like mtnbikermike says, itís a beautiful dream. What a bike..

high pivot witchcraft
    Just when I thought this bike couldnít get any better...
    Picked up a super deluxe coil, 450 lb spring. Iím about 205-210 ready to ride
    Felt about right. Opened up the LSC all the way and messed with the rebound a bit.

Short version- itís better everywhere.

The ride was a fairly significant climb to some steep and loose gnar. Then a flowy downhill section, finishing with multiple laps at the bike park

Climbing: I was objectively faster on almost every segment of the climb. Iíve done this climb over 100 times and the bike just flew up the trail. The pedaling was very efficient, no need for the climb switch, if anything it made the climbing bumpier and more painful

Downhill: forget it. Better everywhere. Super composed and supple. It just ate bumps. The small bump sensitivity was much improved. Little bumps were gone, big square edge bumps at speed got eaten up. I carried so much more speed everywhere, especially at the park. I cleared or over overshot jumps that Iíve never been able to clear in the past. Landing jumps and drops was effortless. The bike felt very composed. Just all around amazing

Like mtnbikermike says, itís a beautiful dream. What a bike..
    This opens up new possibilities...

It would be incredible if an 11-6 was on the way. Given the small production numbers of the Druid, I assume this will never occur. If it did though, I might be inclined to throw down on one, as well as on an ACS3.

I just contacted Push and made the inquiry. I highly doubt it but you never know. I clothed my Druid in a custom ("Tailored") Ride Wrap kit, so obviously they thought the numbers justified the investment at their end. I never would have thought there would be a custom Ride Wrap kit either. Fingers crossed...
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This opens up new possibilities...

It would be incredible if an 11-6 was on the way. Given the small production numbers of the Druid, I assume this will never occur. If it did though, I might be inclined to throw down on one, as well as on an ACS3.
    Yup. An 11-6 would be pretty sweet. Iíve got the acs3 in a Fox 36 on this bike. I may send the super deluxe to avalanche and have them work their magic.

high pivot witchcraft
    Yup. An 11-6 would be pretty sweet. Iíve got the acs3 in a Fox 36 on this bike. I may send the super deluxe to avalanche and have them work their magic.
    Wow. Lots of ACS3 action going on with this bike. From post #71 above - "[The ACS3] plays nice with the DPX2. Curiously, the rear end on this bike seems to outperform the front when the speed ramps up." That one is in a Pike though.

I am off to Fernie again tomorrow. Can't wait. This bike makes me want to ride 24/7.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

Robertson
    You may be surprised with Push, this is a fairly common shock size and they've made shocks for super boutique (Zerode Taniwha) bikes before. As to the ride wrap kit, I thought the black bike was raw carbon, so little to no finish to worry about damaging?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone heard when the XL stuff is going to be available? I mailed Forbidden last weekend and never received an answer back. Also asked if a customer is able to purchase and extra idler just in case.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    Anyone heard when the XL stuff is going to be available? I mailed Forbidden last weekend and never received an answer back. Also asked if a customer is able to purchase and extra idler just in case.
    Just got an email today from Forbidden. Looks like no XLs this production run:

Our next shipment of Druids has arrived!

If you've been waiting to get your hands on some #highpivotwitchcraft, now's the time! All 3 sizes are back in stock, but as usual, size Large frames will be in high demand - so make your move!

For our American friends, make sure to contact Fanatik Bike Co to place your order.

And in Canada and the UK, visit our website now to order your Druid with free shipping!
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I have an oval ring on my Honzo. I wouldnít dare try one on the Druid because of the freaky driveline. Thereís just too much shit already going on down there to add to the craziness. Among other things, I worry about the wear and tear on the idler with a conventional ring, let alone an oval one.
    I ran an oval ring for one ride. Felt exactly what you're describing. The inchworm feeling was very pronounced. Back to a regular round ring.

Thanks for the insight Kamkam, fortunately I already had a RF Cinch crankset on the bike and rotated my chain 3 positions forward like you mentioned. It definitely worked! Tested it on the stand and it was noticeably better in terms of feeling smooth and not notchy. The same feeling transferred when actually getting on the bike, felt like any other bike with an oval ring. Might try a round to see if there is any noticeable difference in climbing but overall very happy!
    RE: Oval Chainring

If you clock it 65į, doesn't that mess with the advantages of going Oval in the first place? (Smooth out power output, make it slightly easier to put down the power, etc.,)
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No XL is a deal breaker, too bad.

mtbr member
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-2019-08-23-18.48.05.jpg

I bought a used Druid a few months ago right before a bike trip to the PNW. This was the first mistake, as it was built right before I left. I was really excited for this bike, but in the end I didn't overly like it. I did like the sizing and geometry. I sold it shortly after the trip after riding it on some of my local trails. I thought it pedaled okay but wasn't overly playful for my style. I didn't recognize the magic. I even tried different shocks. I did have some issues with my components, which I recognized could contribute to the overall ride of the bike.

Since then, I have been looking high and low for my aggressive trail/AM bike. However, I am particular with respect to bike sizing. I have watched tons of videos. I kept coming back to the Druid. The reviews were not matching my experience. I started reaching to various shops that carried the Druid amongst other high end bikes for their opinion. I was also testing riding other bikes.

In the end, I bought another Druid which arrived last week. It rides completely different than the first one. It matches the reviews. The bike is fun and playful. It is a downhiller's trail bike. It rides above its travel, you start doing stupid things with bike because of what it can handle. I am still fine tuning it but so glad that I gave it a second go!

mtbr member

Name:	2019-08-23 18.48.05.jpg 
Views:	2756 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	1274211
    That's a good looking rig for sure. Congrats!
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Too bad there are no XLs.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Any ideas of why you had such a bad experience with the first bike? You think because it was used? Could it have been an early production frame?

mtbr member
    Any ideas of why you had such a bad experience with the first bike? You think because it was used? Could it have been an early production frame?
    My educated guess was the original DPX2 shock wasn't working properly followed by installing Float X2 that probably wasn't dialed in correctly or just the wrong shock. The original DPX2 felt dead, and I had the rebound wide open. I kind of know the previous owner, I trust him - we have chatted and ironically sold bike stuff to each other more than once. He had a similar experience. Murphy's Law - if the shock is bad but not sure how the frame is suppose to ride then its hard to evaluate properly. There are mixed reviews on this bike. Hence my reviews were similar to some of the more negative online reviews so I didn't think I was too far off base. Then I start evaluating all of the reviews, and the island bike review got me thinking more about this. He said it pedals similar to the SB130. NSMB also stated it pedals very well. How could this be?

The original it felt very hard to get the bike off the ground with the DPX2. With the Float X2, this was better. However never noticed the magic and the Float X2 doesn't pedal as well, unless locked out. I hate flipping knobs.

The current bike pedals well and I am using more rebound damping and it eats up the rough stuff. I could attack the trail with confidence today taking any line that I wanted (within reason) and it was still playful.

The other bike felt very heavy and zapped my energy. This one pedals much better. Pedaling on this bike is unique, it pedals very well in certain scenarios and other times it pedals well, but there isn't a sense of snappiness. I am still figuring this out. It shifts more seamlessly and that has caused me to over shift to notice the shift. Where most bikes you hear and feel the engagement of the next gear, this is less noticeable, which is probably a good thing.

I noticed the chainstay growth more on the previous one when doing certain things, not so much on this one.

I think it was the shock - I even looked up both tunes and the only difference between the shock are years 2019 versus 2020 and the 2020 doesn't have a volume spacer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for that. So you have no volume spacer in your rear shock now? If you do not mind me asking what do you weigh?

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

I bought a used Druid a few months ago right before a bike trip to the PNW. This was the first mistake, as it was built right before I left. I was really excited for this bike, but in the end I didn't overly like it. I did like the sizing and geometry. I sold it shortly after the trip after riding it on some of my local trails. I thought it pedaled okay but wasn't overly playful for my style. I didn't recognize the magic. I even tried different shocks. I did have some issues with my components, which I recognized could contribute to the overall ride of the bike.

Since then, I have been looking high and low for my aggressive trail/AM bike. However, I am particular with respect to bike sizing. I have watched tons of videos. I kept coming back to the Druid. The reviews were not matching my experience. I started reaching to various shops that carried the Druid amongst other high end bikes for their opinion. I was also testing riding other bikes.

In the end, I bought another Druid which arrived last week. It rides completely different than the first one. It matches the reviews. The bike is fun and playful. It is a downhiller's trail bike. It rides above its travel, you start doing stupid things with bike because of what it can handle. I am still fine tuning it but so glad that I gave it a second go!
    AWESOME! And yeah - your Druid looks incredible.

I could never understand why your experience differed so much from mine. Glad you got things sorted. Now you can sit back and watch the magic unfold.

Every time out with my Druid, I love it more and more. The thing never stops blowing my mind. It does everything well. From steezin through the flowy, bermy, new school stuff, to straight lining down old school jank. What I love best though is how it is so incredibly adept as my everyday go-to trail bike. No matter what the terrain, it's a total rush riding it.

I just got back from yet another Fernie weekend getaway. Once again, I was reminded just how crazy good this bike is. If your experience is anything like mine, everything will keep getting better and better, every time out.

One final thing though...have you experienced the cornering bliss yet? This thing is so dialled, it's nuts. I have never been able to corner like this on any other bike. Not even close.

PS - still awaiting word from Push as to whether an 11-6 is in the cards for the Druid...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_9360.jpg
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Too bad there are no XLs.
    Agreed. It's odd. Word was that this production run was supposed to include XLs. I don't know what went sideways on that.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I saw XLs arenít slated to be available until November. A buddy is testing for Forbidden the one and only (as far as I know) XL sample frame, the one posted on Vitalís BOTD.

Heís absolutely loving it...but the dude is seriously one of Canadaís best riders and especially rips it on a hard tail.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I saw XLs arenít slated to be available until November. A buddy is testing for Forbidden the one and only (as far as I know) XL sample frame, the one posted on Vitalís BOTD.

Heís absolutely loving it...but the dude is seriously one of Canadaís best riders and especially rips it on a hard tail.

Thanks for correcting that.

I think this is the link for the Vital BOTD article you were referring to:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/d...57/setup,39482

Interested in knowing who that is who is testing the XL...

I see now that I did not respond to your earlier post. Sorry about that.

In response, I have not had the Druid on Razor's yet. That will definitely come soon, although I am the first to admit that keeping the flow going on certain sections of that trail can be a real challenge for me.

I have been riding lots after work - so the usual quick blast places, including West Bragg. Also some riding at CNC, various stuff off Moose/Husky Fire Road, the Banff area including Topp Notch, and many weekends and long/extended weekends at Fernie (including this weekend that just ended).

Like I said above, while the Druid can handle anything I throw at it, it has also been a blast as a daily go-to trail bike. For example, as buff as it may be, blasting a lap or two on Merlin on the Druid after a shitty day of work, is the perfect way to cleanse my brain of the day's toxicity (and yeah, I know, I also ride those trails on my hardtail, but the Druid really is a blast, no matter how gnarly or sedate the terrain).
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

My cup runneth over
    My educated guess was the original DPX2 shock wasn't working properly followed by installing Float X2 that probably wasn't dialed in correctly or just the wrong shock. The original DPX2 felt dead, and I had the rebound wide open. I kind of know the previous owner, I trust him - we have chatted and ironically sold bike stuff to each other more than once. He had a similar experience. Murphy's Law - if the shock is bad but not sure how the frame is suppose to ride then its hard to evaluate properly. There are mixed reviews on this bike. Hence my reviews were similar to some of the more negative online reviews so I didn't think I was too far off base. Then I start evaluating all of the reviews, and the island bike review got me thinking more about this. He said it pedals similar to the SB130. NSMB also stated it pedals very well. How could this be?

The original it felt very hard to get the bike off the ground with the DPX2. With the Float X2, this was better. However never noticed the magic and the Float X2 doesn't pedal as well, unless locked out. I hate flipping knobs.

The current bike pedals well and I am using more rebound damping and it eats up the rough stuff. I could attack the trail with confidence today taking any line that I wanted (within reason) and it was still playful.

The other bike felt very heavy and zapped my energy. This one pedals much better. Pedaling on this bike is unique, it pedals very well in certain scenarios and other times it pedals well, but there isn't a sense of snappiness. I am still figuring this out. It shifts more seamlessly and that has caused me to over shift to notice the shift. Where most bikes you hear and feel the engagement of the next gear, this is less noticeable, which is probably a good thing.

I noticed the chainstay growth more on the previous one when doing certain things, not so much on this one.

I think it was the shock - I even looked up both tunes and the only difference between the shock are years 2019 versus 2020 and the 2020 doesn't have a volume spacer.
    I have been lazily following this thread and had wondered a couple of times if Dude! was thinking of one of these bikes. I am a 'follower' of your bike choices but haven't seen as much bike swapping from you in the recent past (or at least not recorded on mtbr). I would appreciate hearing some comparisons to previous bikes if you can spare the time and effort. Any and all further reviews on this bike would be appreciated too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They just responded to my email, Nov is when they figure they are in stock, and they hope to have the idler parts available by that time too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    You may be surprised with Push, this is a fairly common shock size and they've made shocks for super boutique (Zerode Taniwha) bikes before. As to the ride wrap kit, I thought the black bike was raw carbon, so little to no finish to worry about damaging?
    I sent an email to push as well about the 11-6 fit. They said theyíre trying to get a hold of Druid frame for testing and that we can expect an 11-6 fitment in the future🤘

Got a few more rides under my belt with the super deluxe coil. It continues to impress. The climbing feels more supportive and efficient despite the extra weight. It is definitely faster going up.

The descents are so good. I find myself pedaling into gnarly shit and just letting the bike rip where I used to ride the brakes. Lots of support for pushing into berms and jump faces. It is just an amazing bike

Iíd be curious to check out an xl frame but the large feels pretty good. Iím 6-1 or so on a good day and run a large frame with a 50 mm stem and 800 bars. I think this bike rides a little bigger then the numbers suggest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    I have been lazily following this thread and had wondered a couple of times if Dude! was thinking of one of these bikes. I am a 'follower' of your bike choices but haven't seen as much bike swapping from you in the recent past (or at least not recorded on mtbr). I would appreciate hearing some comparisons to previous bikes if you can spare the time and effort. Any and all further reviews on this bike would be appreciated too.
    Haha - its a continuous evolution. I dove into the 29er bikes last year with the Evil Offering. The Offering is a cool bike, but I never got along with the longer geometry. I gave it a solid 7-8 months try - it was my sole bike. My riding suffered - not completely - there are positives - jumping and it was playful. I lost my speed/confidence in corners and technical terrain. Even though I struggle with the longer geometry, I still like the more moderate geometry over short geometry.

I was ready to give up on the bigger wheels and switch back to 27.5 as new bikes are coming out with the newer geometry. I thought maybe smaller wheels are better for me and my riding style and height. I had the 29er parts (wheels and forks) so I wanted to make sure I was done with 29er before switching back - hence a second try on the Druid.

Riding the Druid yesterday was the first time that I felt comfortable and started letting the bike go and having fun!!! It put a big smile on my face! I have gotten this from the Ibis Ripley V4, which super fun bike and gets you into trouble. The Druid lets you get into trouble and can handle it. The Ripley V4 and the Druid are both fun bikes for me as their geometry is moderate not uber long.

Mediumg Evil Offering: positives pedals well, playful, confidence in jumps : negatives seatpost is long could only fit a 140mm dropper, bike was too big for me
    Small Evil Offering: The small looses a lot of the playfulness that I liked in the medium, it was too small and cramped for me - it didn't feel as good as the medium, even the medium was too long. Something about the size changes the ride characteristics with respect to suspension - can't explain why this
    Kona Process - felt too short and the short chainstays were not for me. It is a cool bike but is unique - I didn't comfortable on the bike and that throw off my confidence. The extra travel was fun.

I almost purchased the Megatower. It felt comfortable. However, didn't want that much travel for most of my rides. Still it felt good....

The Druid feels very comfortable - this is consistent in most reports.

That's about it - still need to ride it more before I can say much more.
    Last edited by Dude!; 08-28-2019 at 11:02 AM.

high pivot witchcraft
    I sent an email to push as well about the 11-6 fit. They said theyíre trying to get a hold of Druid frame for testing and that we can expect an 11-6 fitment in the future🤘
    I will be throwing down on an 11-6 the minute it comes out. The DPX2 is absolutely incredible but I do not mind spending money on this bike, given how good it is. If nothing else, I will treat it as a not so inexpensive experiment.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I will be throwing down on an 11-6 the minute it comes out. The DPX2 is absolutely incredible but I do not mind spending money on this bike, given how good it is. If nothing else, I will treat it as a not so inexpensive experiment.

Pretty sure I will too. Iíve got an 11-6 on my other bike, an sbg transition patrol and itís gathering dust. I think the tranny is goin up for sale soon minus the 11-6...

You likely wonít even need a climb mode. You could do a setting for dh and a flow dh for smoother trails and pump and jump the living shit out of it.

high pivot witchcraft
    Pretty sure I will too. Iíve got an 11-6 on my other bike, an sbg transition patrol and itís gathering dust. I think the tranny is goin up for sale soon minus the 11-6...

You likely wonít even need a climb mode. You could do a setting for dh and a flow dh for smoother trails and pump and jump the living shit out of it.
    Awesome. Thanks.

I'm going to shoot you a PM for further info if you don't mind.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Monkeyboyjong -- I got this from PUSH today:

"Thank you for the email Michael,

We are currently working on getting a Druid in for testing. We hope to have a fitment available for that bike in the next couple of months.

Thank you, and let me know if you have any questions.

PUSH Sales
    PUSH Industries
    1520 Taurus Ct.
    Loveland, CO 80537
    (970) 278-1110
    www.pushindustries.com
    www.instagram.com/pushindustries
    www.facebook.com/pushindustries"

WOOHOO!!!

Just in time for Moab!!!
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

We are currently working on getting a Druid in for testing. We hope to have a fitment available for that bike in the next couple of months.

PUSH Sales
    PUSH Industries
    1520 Taurus Ct.
    Loveland, CO 80537
    (970) 278-1110
    www.pushindustries.com

WOOHOO!!!

Just in time for Moab!!!

Nice. This canít happen soon enough

Gloworm Lights

Ext....

Nice. This canít happen soon enough
    I've just fitted the EXT Storia V3. Not ridden it yet but will report back after Friday.......Fits nicely and all reports are that it performs as well as the 11-6.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-20190827_145107.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    I've just fitted the EXT Storia V3. Not ridden it yet but will report back after Friday.......Fits nicely and all reports are that it performs as well as the 11-6.

I will be watching for your report.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-e...-v3-shock.html

Highly disappointed that PB did not do a head to head comparison with the 11-6, and chose instead to compare it to a stock, out of the box, non custom tuned Marz. Ridiculous.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

My cup runneth over
    That's about it - still need to ride it more before I can say much more.

mtbr member

PUSH Sales
    PUSH Industries
    1520 Taurus Ct.
    Loveland, CO 80537
    (970) 278-1110
    www.pushindustries.com

WOOHOO!!!

Just in time for Moab!!!
    Cool! I have used the 11-6 in the past on different bikes. My preference tends toward air shocks, but I can see the 11-6 working very well for this bike!

mtbr member
    very interested in this frame, and dreaming about a build with coil shock (maybe Ext) and a Trust Performanc fork

high pivot witchcraft

For me, the DPX2 is absolutely killing it. But if I can up the fun factor even further, why not?

If I go this route, I am thinking that between the EXT Storia and the 11-6, the 11-6 is the much safer route. And I am also really liking the suggestion made above by monkeyboyjong re the DH and flow DH circuits. Makes perfect sense for the terrain I am riding.

I am stoked even more now than I already was.

All that said, does anyone know whether there is a CDN authorized dealer for the EXT Storia (like Suspensionwerx for the 11-6)? May as well check out all options while I am awaiting the release of the 11-6.

On a different note, I wish my daughter was about 2 years more advanced than she is. I would buy her a small Druid in a heart beat. As it is, she is riding a 2015 Process 134 that is also dialled AF so itís not too bad for her. Nonetheless, feeling what I feel riding that Druid, I want her to feel it too. Itís helped me really progress my cornering game. I bet it would help her materially progress at almost everything. Still a year or two away though.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Well, I got my build done but learned some interesting lessons along the way.

I could not clock my oval / elliptical chainring due to how the SRAM chainrings are keyed to the 3 bolt pattern. I ended up punting to a round chainring.

The roughly ~65į clocking is due to how the chain approaches the chainring from the top as opposed to the back.

In any event, have some things to do / double-check before heading out to ride it - sag is a pain to check... might do a ghetto sag meter next to the main pivot.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Well, I got my build done but learned some interesting lessons along the way.

I could not clock my oval / elliptical chainring due to how the SRAM chainrings are keyed to the 3 bolt pattern. I ended up punting to a round chainring.

The roughly ~65į clocking is due to how the chain approaches the chainring from the top as opposed to the back.

In any event, have some things to do / double-check before heading out to ride it - sag is a pain to check... might do a ghetto sag meter next to the main pivot.
    180 out of the shower. 175 psi for the DPX2. Seems awesome to me.

When I initially measured sag, 30% was at 225. Either I was off or 30% is not optimum because 175 > 225 x1000. Good luck.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I ended up using body weight for my PSI and it was close-ish to 19mm on the O-Ring.

First Ride: Druid just rips - still getting used to it... more to come as we get better acquainted but it's surprising how efficiently this thing pedals.

Threw the ShockWiz on tonight and will work on dialing it in these next few weeks.

Bike Check on Vital:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/C...96/setup,39642

high pivot witchcraft
    I ended up using body weight for my PSI and it was close-ish to 19mm on the O-Ring.

First Ride: Druid just rips - still getting used to it... more to come as we get better acquainted but it's surprising how efficiently this thing pedals.

Threw the ShockWiz on tonight and will work on dialing it in these next few weeks.

Bike Check on Vital:

Next level build.

Very much looking forward to some further reporting.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Man, I can't believe that I didn't think this bike pedal well. It pedals amazingly well. And crazy technical climbing - wow. This is the true definition of traction without getting bounced around. Many people discuss bikes and how they can craw up a technical climb, this is the first bike that truly defines this. It doesn't have the snappiness/light feel of a DW link, you need to overlook this but it motors very well just stay on the pedals. On this one techincal climb today with big step ups and roots - nearly made it and I am the only idiot ever tries. I was caught off guard of how it was handling it, if I knew I would have made it. Even on my less technical trails, because I am not getting bounced, it moves a long very smoothly. When you get to the top of climb and your hammer a bit more because of fatigue, the DW link edges you on a bit, but if you ignore the feel you are actually very similar and maybe better on the Druid because you are not getting bounced.

It jumps well with features and the bike gives you confidence. Even though I don't feel any harsh bottom outs, its not as bottomless in feel. This is a not negative, it just doesn't have the feeling.

Trying different stems at the moment.

It's a badass bike!!!

mtbr member
    Wow, that is nice.

Bike Check on Vital:

high pivot witchcraft
    Here's an interesting discussion by the guys at Blister, who I have come to trust over the years for a lot of my ski-related purchases. The discussion about the Druid starts at 19:14.

https://blisterreview.com/featured/p...-products-ep-6

Druid owners - what do you think about these comments?
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Any Druid owners running as 140 in the front? Debating on this bike and wondering if itís just as fun as a 140, instead of 150 like all these reviews been running?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackem View Post
    Any Druid owners running as 140 in the front? Debating on this bike and wondering if itís just as fun as a 140, instead of 150 like all these reviews been running?
    Watch the video at post #143. Start at 12:25. He gets into the 140 option at 12:50.

I am running a 150 36 and love it, but I suspect I would also love running a 140 on it as well.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Robertson

high pivot witchcraft
    Holy crap. Outstanding. Thanks for posting.

I hope you donít mind but I cited that link in a few other threads, including this one (see post #14):

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/w...s-1115261.html

Pretty much sums up my experience so far. Except I do not notice any increased driveline drag. Zero. Itís louder though than a non-HSP driveline.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I took off the Idler and it's not the smoothest... I'm looking into replacing the bearing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I took off the Idler and it's not the smoothest... I'm looking into replacing the bearing.
    Does Forbidden have all their tech info like bearing type come with the frame or listed on their site?

mtbr member
    Does Forbidden have all their tech info like bearing type come with the frame or listed on their site?
    They will be publishing a PDF shortly with all the exploded views / torque values on their website.

The bearing in the top Idler is an Enduro 6902 LLB ABEC 5 bearing.

I'm already looking forward to a 150-160mm Forbidden bike :-)

mtbr member
    PDF of Exploded View and Torque Values:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...V1.1.pdf?10139

Found at the bottom of this page:

https://www.forbiddenbike.com/pages/tech

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just a note for those servicing their suspension. The main pivot has a nut (24mm) on one end that is covered by the round locking cover. Removal of this cover exposes this nut. The opposite side of the pivot is just a round flange. Therefore, in order to tighten this nut to spec you have to hold the shaft with a 10mm allen while tighening. This eliminates using a socket on your torque wrench as you can not access the 10mm on the inside of the nut shaft to hold the shaft. You need a 24mm crows foot wrench head that matches your torque wrenche's drive ie 3/8, 1/2"....
    Another thing to note is when replacing the lock nut cover. The nut has to be clocked so that the cover just slides on, don't force it (Don't ask me how I know). You can just tighten/loosen the nut minimally to make this happen. Cheers J

mtbr member
    Thx @YogiKudo - It's not very straightforward but the exploded diagram helps a little.

Here's some pics that Forbidden sent me of that area:

Pic #1: use a plastic scraper to work the cover off if needed

Pic #2: 24mm Nut (16-20Nm)

High Main Pivot / 24mm cover (8Nm)

mtbr member
    BTW, I was able to get the 24mm nut on and off without messing too much with the 10mm Allen. I just held the axle in place with my hand on the drive-side to keep it from turning.

high pivot witchcraft
    Assuming you are still running the DPX2, what is your weight and at what PSI are you running your shock? I am 182 lbs out of the shower and (I assume) around 200 riding weight. I have tried everything from 175 to 225 PSI. I have to say that it all felt good, and not all that much different - certainly not as much as I would have expected.

While Forbidden has finally posted its Exploded View diagram, it has yet to post its Set Up document. The web site has said ďcoming soonĒ since it came into existence. Out of curiosity I have been checking often, hoping that Forbidden will let us know what it views as the ideal PSI (assuming the ďSet UpĒ document addresses this).

I rode my Druid for the first time in a while after having ridden my Honzo exclusively. 175 PSI, which is where I had finally arrived at based on Island Bike Lifeís video (I posted the link above), felt awfully soft so I increased it to 195 psi for the ride. After riding the Honzo for weeks, 195 felt like a magic carpet ride.

Anyway, curious where you have landed on PSI (and the rest of your shock settings).

FWIW the ShockWiz I had directed me to 195 psi as the optimum pressure.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast