Finish my XCL- Mtbr.com

Thread: Finish my XCL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Finish my XCL

OK, so I bought an xcl frame and will build it up, not sure I am keeping it as I am debating on another EVO...

I want this to be sub 30# how should I finish it?

2007 Chumba XCL frame (size: large with a Fox DHX 5.0 Air rear

here is where I am so far

XT front derailleur
    Sram X-9 rear derailleur
    Sram X-7 shifters
    Shimano Deore LX cassette
    Thomson seatpost
    King Headset
    race face cranks

Shimano XT chain

what Fork? rims? hubs? brakes?/thinking of hayes nine
    Tires?

Never had a leg over an XCL...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You're gonna have to put a really light wheelset and a light fork to get that bike into the sub 30 range. For brakes Id probably get Formula K24. For a wheelset probably hopes or chris king laced to some stans rim either the Arch or flow. For the fork either a fox float/talas or pike but the fox is lighter. It definitely won't be cheap going sub 30 but it's doable.

On a side note...I wouldn't worry too much about weight on the XCL. Mine is at 31 or so right now and I'm about to put a heavier fork on with no regret. The XCL is so stiff and the suspension works so well that you really don't notice the weight after a couple rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks SD... what are on your bike of what I am missing...

much appreciated

mtbr member
    I agree, my XCL sit's right at 30lbs and I'm coming from a 24lb Dos Niner and I dont really notice the weight all that much, I do notice however the 5" of sweet sweet travel!

To get yours down, I'd look at a couple things, Chris King hubs are nice, but you can save a little cash and go with Hope Pro 2's, get a nice light fork I have a Maverick SC32, nice travel, great action just a little annoying to set up for the first time if you have to change the oil levels.

I run Hayes HFX9's for brakes and they work fine, but if I had my choice I'd go with a set of Formula Oro K24's or maybe a set of the Hayes Strokers.

Either way 30lbs - 32lbs you'll never notice the difference and the way the bike rides I doubt you'll ever give her up!

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I like the 32 TALAS RLC on my XCL, but if I had to do it again I'd go for the Float instead. It's a little lighter and cheaper besides, and I rarely use the travel adjust feature.

Switching to the Shimano XT rear cassette will save about 1/4 lb!

Tires will make a big difference. My bike came with the standard Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.35 tires. The Minions are grippy but heavy. I wanted something lighter but I'm a big fella so I switched to Kenda Cortez 2.4. They have a lot of volume but are light for the size. (They were also on sale for $20 a tire!) The Cortez tires are only good in the dry but that's 3/4 of the year around here.

Mine's at roughly 31 lbs right now and I'm plenty happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like the talas on my XCL as well however I never use the travel adjust so a float would be just as good. I am about to switch to a pike though to gain the 20mm axle and the extra stiffness but its heavier. Definitely go with the XT cassette. It saves a lot of weight and the individual cogs of the LX will dig into aluminum freehub bodies.

So is your face
    i agree with sdcantrell. Formula K24s are the shiznit. Have not heard a kind word about the Hayes brakes. Hope pro2s are good as a bit less expensive, but dependable hub option (i use these), If you got the cash go with Kings or even I9s. If you stay on the ground most of the time, you could get away with a light rim like the dt4.2, but if you like to get airborne i'd recommend the dt5.1s. On all these hubs you'll have to dump the lx cassette and move to at least an xt or it's sram equivalent. Fork, i'd say fox talas rlc for lightweight or rockshox pike for more aggressive riding. Tires - schwalbe alberts or kenda nevegals.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Members who have read this thread: 0