fetish cycles- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fetish cycles

Retrograde Customs

fetish cycles

anyone out there ride a fetish cycles frame. if you do how do you have it setup? i just got one a couple months ago and i have not seen of heard of anyone else having or riding one.

I like Squishy Bikes

Alloy Nipples

A dirty book is rarely dusty

Retrograde Customs

alloy nipples?

what about them?

mtbr member
    I think he is referring to an mtbr member whose name is "Alloy Nipples" and that this person has a Fetish bike.

Post some pics of your bike man. I am thinking about picking up a SS frame from them.

Retrograde Customs

Upset my fetish

my p.o.s. computer won't let me attatch images for some reason.

Retrograde Customs

pics

how the hell do you do this on here? it's totally different from anything i've had to use before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fetish Cycles..

I've got 2 of the Discipline hardtail frames, I bought one off of eBay, and I was happy enough with it to buy a second to build up as a loaner bike. I've definately been happy with them, I also ended up picking up one of their dirt jumping frames, I think they are tagged as "Obsession" now, and it's a great little park bike.. All told I generally only spent about $100-125/shipped for each frame, and they've been great. When they first were listing them(when I got the first), they were going for $69.99 as an opening bid, and even with $30 shipping it was still under $100..

I picked up a few deraileur hangers to have around in case, but as of yet havn't needed one.

Retrograde Customs

deraileur hanger

Quote Originally Posted by Density524
    I've got 2 of the Discipline hardtail frames, I bought one off of eBay, and I was happy enough with it to buy a second to build up as a loaner bike. I've definately been happy with them, I also ended up picking up one of their dirt jumping frames, I think they are tagged as "Obsession" now, and it's a great little park bike.. All told I generally only spent about $100-125/shipped for each frame, and they've been great. When they first were listing them(when I got the first), they were going for $69.99 as an opening bid, and even with $30 shipping it was still under $100..

I picked up a few deraileur hangers to have around in case, but as of yet havn't needed one.
    i bent mine on the second ride and can't for the life of me get a new one. i've called fetish and i've emailed them and the only responce i got took like 3 weeks and they said they were out but they would let me know when they had more. i have yet to hear back from them. i love the frame but what a $hit company, i must say they do a great job backing there product, NOT. how do you have your fetishs setup? i've only seen a couple and none were all that trick. mine will be a 24 pound xc rig when it's compete, it's around 26 now.

Feb 2004
    My new Fetish ss will be ready in a couple of weeks. Yeti handle bar and seatpost, Truvative ss crankset, Spot hubs laced to xm819's, Avid Juicys. A surly rigid front fork, Selle Italia saddle, truvative stem. The remaining parts are a suprise to me as I told the LBS to make the choice of rear cog/freewheel and chain tensioner. The bottom bracket will be what ever he has in stock. I'll post pics when it arrives.

This bike will be my winter ride. Low maintenace and no shock to worry about, should be fun.

Retrograde Customs

trust

Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    My new Fetish ss will be ready in a couple of weeks. Yeti handle bar and seatpost, Truvative ss crankset, Spot hubs laced to xm819's, Avid Juicys. A surly rigid front fork, Selle Italia saddle, truvative stem. The remaining parts are a suprise to me as I told the LBS to make the choice of rear cog/freewheel and chain tensioner. The bottom bracket will be what ever he has in stock. I'll post pics when it arrives.

This bike will be my winter ride. Low maintenace and no shock to worry about, should be fun.
    what a brave soul to trust your lbs. i do all my own work, if i can't do it i learn how.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    what a brave soul to trust your lbs. i do all my own work, if i can't do it i learn how.
    You have had a problem with my LBS, I seriously doubt that.

Retrograde Customs

depends

You have had a problem with my LBS, I seriously doubt that.
    that all depends on what your lbs is. personally i don't trust any of them. everyone i've ever been to would not think twice about getting every penny from me. there are plenty of shops around here that are owned by people with no intrest in bikes, but then again that's not what this thread is about now is it.

Feb 2004
    that all depends on what your lbs is. personally i don't trust any of them. everyone i've ever been to would not think twice about getting every penny from me. there are plenty of shops around here that are owned by people with no intrest in bikes, but then again that's not what this thread is about now is it.
    You brought up the issue of trusting MY lbs now didn't you.

Retrograde Customs

yeah i did

why are you making a big deal out of nothing?

Feb 2004
    Just to show you that I won't let you generalize all LBS's as the same. Maybe you don't have any reputable shop's, or so you think in Hayward, CA, or maybe it's your 19 year old attitude. What ever it maybe the shops are not all them same.

Retrograde Customs
    Just to show you that I won't let you generalize all LBS's as the same. Maybe you don't have any reputable shop's, or so you think in Hayward, CA, or maybe it's your 19 year old attitude. What ever it maybe the shops are not all them same.
    you know i don't have a problem telling anyone that hayward is infact a **** place to be but i thank you not to judge a person you know nothing about. i thought i made it clear that my opinion was based on what's around here which would imply that i could be wrong about your lbs, maybe they hook you up i don't know but you had to go to far and make it personal. i am not your average 19 year old so don't talk to me like i am.

Feb 2004
    Ok, Danny.

Retrograde Customs

back to the topic at hand

Ok, Danny.
    how is their ss frame? the one i saw was basically a discipline with ss dropouts.

Feb 2004
    how is their ss frame? the one i saw was basically a discipline with ss dropouts.
    Mine is a Discipline with vertical dropouts that will have a chain tensioner on the hanger.

Retrograde Customs

i thought about that

Mine is a Discipline with vertical dropouts that will have a chain tensioner on the hanger.
    i was thinking about doing that for a while or using a 12-24 road cassette with a single chainring up front. it ended up with a 12-32 and 44/32/22. i'll post the link to it on light-bikes.com when the pic comes up.

Retrograde Customs

here it is

a few more upgrades and she'll lose 2 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retrograde Customs

lets see what you got

post your fetishs up. lets check em out.

Oct 2004
    Here is mine. Just done building it .Rides well.

Retrograde Customs

nice

Quote Originally Posted by slow SS
    Here is mine. Just done building it .Rides well.
    nice! seems like almost everyone sets their fetish up as a single speed, not that there's anything wrong with that it's just interesting. what about the frame is so apealing to the ss riders?

Mar 2004
    ..what about the frame is so apealing to the ss riders?
    I think it's the price. For just $99 on eBay you can get one of these frames and throw on some parts and presto...SS ride for less.

They do make a SS specific frame with horz rear dropouts, but those go for $150 on eBay.

Nice rides posted. I've thinking about getting one to build up as a fat tire commuter with 2.5 Hookworms and roadie drops or moustache bars.

Retrograde Customs

it's up finally!!

Feb 2004
    Picked it up today.

Nov 2004
    i bent mine on the second ride and can't for the life of me get a new one. i've called fetish and i've emailed them and the only responce i got took like 3 weeks and they said they were out but they would let me know when they had more. i have yet to hear back from them. i love the frame but what a $hit company, i must say they do a great job backing there product, NOT. how do you have your fetishs setup? i've only seen a couple and none were all that trick. mine will be a 24 pound xc rig when it's compete, it's around 26 now.
    I dont know if Fetish ever got back to you but I found a replacement deraileur hanger at http://derailleurhanger.com/index.htm
    There hanger #52 fits the discipline. Its under diamindback and is the last on hanger on the page. It is also under a couple of other brands as well. I ordered one because I got sick of wainting for Fetish and it works great.

Good luck,

Retrograde Customs

good lookin out

Quote Originally Posted by cbohn
    I dont know if Fetish ever got back to you but I found a replacement deraileur hanger at http://derailleurhanger.com/index.htm
    There hanger #52 fits the discipline. Its under diamindback and is the last on hanger on the page. It is also under a couple of other brands as well. I ordered one because I got sick of wainting for Fetish and it works great.

Good luck,
    thanks for sharing that, i'll have to order a few of those in the very near future. anyone seen the fetish site lately? they got all kinds of new toys.

Feb 2004
    The only thing I have found so far is that the bottom bracket is a little low for our New England rock infested singletrack. I have learned to keep my cranks up and level when encountering a raised "trail feature". Other than that I am having fun with it, should be great for winter.

Oct 2004
    a few more upgrades and she'll lose 2 pounds.
    So that means your changing the tires right?

I am a color freak myself and i love your color scheme.
    I love michelin and have many different models including the Hot S.

I would have to say that my hot s is the slowest moving tire of them all and is also pretty heavy if that is an issue. Try the panaracer fire x pros with red stripe. They dont make your bike half as pretty but i think your bike will roll much faster .

Retrograde Customs

tires

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwa2
    So that means your changing the tires right?

I am a color freak myself and i love your color scheme.
    I love michelin and have many different models including the Hot S.

I would have to say that my hot s is the slowest moving tire of them all and is also pretty heavy if that is an issue. Try the panaracer fire x pros with red stripe. They dont make your bike half as pretty but i think your bike will roll much faster .
    i don't know why i didnt see this post sooner. i changed the tires like 2 days after that picture was taken. i'm running irc mythos 1.95's now with the red sidewalls. i have my issues trusting the smaller tires but they are much lighter and faster, not to mention how much better my bike climbs now. the fire xc's are almost the same weight as the hot s. i had thought about going to them but when i saw the weight it really served no purpose to run them. i remembered that i had the new set of irc's on another bike hanging in the garage, i had put these on this bike and rode it like 2 times until i broke the shifter and it's been hanging ever since, so the tires are still brand new. i checked them and they are much lighter so i put them on. i am not at all disapointed with them.

Sep 2004

my fetish cycles budget build

Here it is. Budget build starting with a frame from evilbay ($109) or so. I'll post the components list if anyone cares. Show here with a psylo which is crap IMHO. It soaks up the bumps ok but the lateral flex is intolerable. Mostly lastyears/closeouts/etc kept the costs under $800. I rode it today for the first time and it seems to handle well considering the fork. It feels good and sprints like a good hardtail should. Of course the fork I want will kill the budget but I am seriously considering a rigid fork until I can get something else. One note, even though the frame is built for 100mm sus, the knob on the psylo uturn doesn't clear the frame. It clears by about 1 mm with knob removed. Not a lot of consideration for forks in that respect. However - overall frame quality is great and I think it looks killer. Of course for some reason, all my bikes are black...so really there all kind of the same...

James

https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/507/250164FC.jpg here is the gallery image post if I don't succesfully attach the image..
    • File Type: jpg FC.jpg (50.4 KB, 5700 views)

Oct 2004
    i don't know why i didnt see this post sooner. i changed the tires like 2 days after that picture was taken. i'm running irc mythos 1.95's now with the red sidewalls. i have my issues trusting the smaller tires but they are much lighter and faster, not to mention how much better my bike climbs now. the fire xc's are almost the same weight as the hot s. i had thought about going to them but when i saw the weight it really served no purpose to run them. i remembered that i had the new set of irc's on another bike hanging in the garage, i had put these on this bike and rode it like 2 times until i broke the shifter and it's been hanging ever since, so the tires are still brand new. i checked them and they are much lighter so i put them on. i am not at all disapointed with them.
    Yeah, you probably made a better choice with the irc's. I forgot about them. I haven't tried those yet but i want to and they are more popular with the racers in my area than the panaracers.

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwa2
    Yeah, you probably made a better choice with the irc's. I forgot about them. I haven't tried those yet but i want to and they are more popular with the racers in my area than the panaracers.
    yeah i am very pleased with them and i'm starting to trust them more, they do stick if you lean into your turns.

Retrograde Customs
    Picked it up today.
    what fork is that? i've been looking for something like that for my K2.

Feb 2004
    what fork is that? i've been looking for something like that for my K2.
    It's a Surly.

Retrograde Customs
    It's a Surly.
    you have a part number or anything for it? the surly forks i saw in qbp are not like that one.

Feb 2004
    you have a part number or anything for it? the surly forks i saw in qbp are not like that one.
    It's an Instigator.

I Just Ride....
    I photographed this guy riding a "Fetish" Bike over the summer.
    He sure could pop it off this step up.
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Retrograde Customs

fetish update

i have updated pics and some new avid sd-ti brakes on the way which should take the weight down around 23.60 pounds, although they won't get mounted until i get the new levers, cables and housing. bars are getting chopped down to after the new levers and grips. ti bolts for the steerer on my stem there and my k2 that's still waiting for a a set of those forks minkhiller.

Retrograde Customs

... and if we just ... new toys

i'm in the process of ordering a new discipline and a fixation frame. i'll post pics when they come in.

Nov 2004

Here's my discipline

built up as a SS, parts box and budget style.........will upgrade components as I get a chance. One thing I liked when I read this thread is that someone built up a discipline for their "loaner" bike....great idea! the frame is the best deal $$$ & quality wise I have come across IMHO.

Question I have: I put on a surly 1x1, 413mm axle to crown & the discipline is designed with a 100mm fork in mind. Someone asked me if it was twitchy (which it is not), and I started thinking about it. So basically I have a steeper head tube angle than the bikes stated geometry (and therefore it is more aggressive)? FYI I've taken it on two rides so far and I think it is quick, responsive and stable, handles like a dream!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Problems with my Fetish

anyone out there ride a fetish cycles frame. if you do how do you have it setup? i just got one a couple months ago and i have not seen of heard of anyone else having or riding one.
    Hey everyone, I just purchased a fixation single speed frame from e-bay over the christmas hollidays. When i was putting it together, I noticed the bottom bracket threads were clogged with something and would not let me install the bottom bracket. I took the frame to my local LBS and a buddy of mine working there, cleaned the threads for me. when we tried to install the bottom bracket again, it was threaded with an offset causing the drive side to thread in with a slite offset, which inturn caused the non-drive cup to wedge and not thread in properly. Has anyone ever had this problem or any other with fetish frames and how good are the people at Fetish when it comes to frame warranty. Am I Screwed or what.

Thanks,
    Mcgruff

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    Hey everyone, I just purchased a fixation single speed frame from e-bay over the christmas hollidays. When i was putting it together, I noticed the bottom bracket threads were clogged with something and would not let me install the bottom bracket. I took the frame to my local LBS and a buddy of mine working there, cleaned the threads for me. when we tried to install the bottom bracket again, it was threaded with an offset causing the drive side to thread in with a slite offset, which inturn caused the non-drive cup to wedge and not thread in properly. Has anyone ever had this problem or any other with fetish frames and how good are the people at Fetish when it comes to frame warranty. Am I Screwed or what.

Thanks,
    Mcgruff
    i'll have to let you know when my fixation comes in. i just ordered another discipline frame and a fixation. they get shipped out tomorrow.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rash
    Question I have: I put on a surly 1x1, 413mm axle to crown & the discipline is designed with a 100mm fork in mind. Someone asked me if it was twitchy (which it is not), and I started thinking about it.
    Hey Rash, that was me... the only thing that matters is that YOU like the way it handles. I was just wonderin' your impressions - I have a much shorter stem on my Fetish project, so with the Instigator fork I'll probably have a similarly handling bike. I'm glad to hear you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rash
    So basically I have a steeper head tube angle than the bikes stated geometry (and therefore it is more aggressive)?
    Yup, theoretically. Whether it is enough to really notice, I don't know.

Nov 2004

more research in the field.....

5 more rides, maybe more....handles like-a-dream. I actually contemplated selling my blur

Really, now that i am aware of the shorter fork, I have been concentrating on trying to feel any excess twitchiness and feel none (yea!)

The Fetish has been the bike of choice lately, since my winter rides on dirt consist of fire road and mellow single track. I was joking about the blur 4 sale thing, as I don't see riding the epics in tahoe on my SS!

-r

Retrograde Customs
    well they finally came today. my new discipline and fixation. rebuilt the wheels for the light one. the red one is gonna be my light xc bike, the fixation is gonna be my ss of course and my old white one is just gonna be another bike, the one i don't mind riding in the rain.

Retrograde Customs
    here's a cool picture.

Feb 2004
    Has anyone else had a problem of the rear wheel not staying put in the dropouts of a Discipline frame? Mine is set up as a singlespeed and no matter how tight the skewer is the wheel moves and the tire rubs on the chain and seatstay.

Retrograde Customs
    Has anyone else had a problem of the rear wheel not staying put in the dropouts of a Discipline frame? Mine is set up as a singlespeed and no matter how tight the skewer is the wheel moves and the tire rubs on the chain and seatstay.
    that's quite odd. i have never had that problem on a MTB. on bmx bikes that's a common thing, if you do away with some of the paint on the dropout where your wheels mounts that might do the trick. let me know what happens with that.

Feb 2004
    Well it looks like the frame could not stand hard singlespeed climbs. It appears that the frame is tweaked and will not allow the wheel to go in and stay straight. I will get a second opinion but looks like this frame is ready for the recycle bin. No biggie, it was a gamble to buy a $100.00 frame in the first place.

Retrograde Customs
    Well it looks like the frame could not stand hard singlespeed climbs. It appears that the frame is tweaked and will not allow the wheel to go in and stay straight. I will get a second opinion but looks like this frame is ready for the recycle bin. No biggie, it was a gamble to buy a $100.00 frame in the first place.
    i could believe that seeing how the discipline is not a single speed frame. this is what you need right here.

Feb 2004
    Ahh......no thanks. I want a frame that will last more than 125 miles no matter what it is made for. I'm gonna get real and go steel.

Retrograde Customs
    Ahh......no thanks. I want a frame that will last more than 125 miles no matter what it is made for. I'm gonna get real and go steel.
    funny my first discipline frame has more than 125 miles on it and i'm sure it's taken more abuse than your ss setup has and my frame is still straight. dunno what to tell you, i guess sometimes $hit just happens.

Feb 2004
    Couldn't have said it better myself..."$hit happens". Abuse on the frame, not likely here in New England, we don't have any rocks or anything like that ....and it being fully rigid, no abuse on a frame there.

I think a steel frame will be much more forgiving in a rigid SS. I bought the Fetish knowing that it was my first SS and I didn't even know if the SS thing was going to be for me. Well I love it so a better frame would have been on the horizon at some point anyway so no biggie.

Retrograde Customs
    Couldn't have said it better myself..."$hit happens". Abuse on the frame, not likely here in New England, we don't have any rocks or anything like that ....and it being fully rigid, no abuse on a frame there.

I think a steel frame will be much more forgiving in a rigid SS. I bought the Fetish knowing that it was my first SS and I didn't even know if the SS thing was going to be for me. Well I love it so a better frame would have been on the horizon at some point anyway so no biggie.
    rocks and rigid forks are one thing, loading docks and stairs are another. i did alot of urban freeriding on the frame when i first got it. i think droping 6 feet to a flat with my fat @$$ on top of it is pretty abusive. i originally wanted a reynolds 853 frame when i was looking but then i saw the fetish frames and i had to pick one up. i liked it so much i bought 2 more and i'll probably buy 2 more after i finish building these up. hopefully this summer i'll build up one of their road frames and maybe and obsession. eventullaly i'll get around to building a steel tank of a bike, probably a surly instigator with instigator forks and profile ss cranks. can't go wrong with 4130 that $hit is tough as tough can be.

Retrograde Customs
    enough red?

:\ ping of death
    So, does anyone own a Fetish Obsession?

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    So, does anyone own a Fetish Obsession?
    i will after i finish building my other discipline and fixation. i plan to pick up an obession a D&S and at least one of their roadie frames.

Retrograde Customs

enough red yet?

i'm working on getting a red stem at the moment. if only i could get red spokes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i'm working on getting a red stem at the moment. if only i could get red spokes.
    Wow...these are great looking bikes. Are they still available at low cost on Ebay? I have been checkng every once in awhile, but no luck..

mtbr member

just got one

i just got a discipline frame off ebay.(beautiful looking frame by the way) this is my first bike build. so far i have the frame a manitou black elite fork and xt shifters, derailers, and disc brakes. also a fsa pig headset. that took all of my income tax money so the rest of the build will go a little slower.

mtbr member

ebay

by the way if you are looking for one on ebay search for "f.c. frame" i just got mine about a week ago for $99 + shipping

mtbr member
    May 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by boombastico
    by the way if you are looking for one on ebay search for "f.c. frame" i just got mine about a week ago for $99 + shipping

Thanks for the response. I guess I wasn't using the correct search criteria...Thanks for the tip!

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by signal
    Wow...these are great looking bikes. Are they still available at low cost on Ebay? I have been checkng every once in awhile, but no luck..
    thanks. look for f.c. on ebay they're not listed as fetish cycles. once i get my tax check i'm going for some red paul brakes, a new top chainring, al chainring bolts and any other red hardware i can find and last but not least i'm gonna pick up some candy ti egg beaters. not only are the candy ti's 100 grams lighter than the shimano 959s but they come in red too. i have more detailed pictures of my bikes at www.freewebs.com/dirtybobbysbikes , there are still more to come.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks. look for f.c. on ebay they're not listed as fetish cycles. once i get my tax check i'm going for some red paul brakes, a new top chainring, al chainring bolts and any other red hardware i can find and last but not least i'm gonna pick up some candy ti egg beaters. not only are the candy ti's 100 grams lighter than the shimano 959s but they come in red too. i have more detailed pictures of my bikes at www.freewebs.com/dirtybobbysbikes , there are still more to come.
    Nice pics on you site. I am not normally a fan of red [i am kinda red looking myself], but after seeing yours, I went ahead and bid on a red 18' Discipline.

I might pick up one of each, D&S and Fixation as well...

Retrograde Customs
    Nice pics on you site. I am not normally a fan of red [i am kinda red looking myself], but after seeing yours, I went ahead and bid on a red 18' Discipline.

I might pick up one of each, D&S and Fixation as well...
    i hope to pick up a d&s and a obsession this summer and maybe a road frame as well depending on how things go. i think the sellers id is bikingusa or something like that, if you email her she will deal directly with you. on the red, i find myself going pretty far out of my way for red parts these days. it's gotta match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey guys,
    I just got my fixation SS back from Fetish and I just want to say Kudo's to their company. I sent my frame back because the left seat stay was welded misaligned. They looked at the frame, noticed the problem and sent me a NEW frame no questions asked. They even installed my headset, BB, and the rear brakes ( V-brakes) on before they shipped the frame to me. If anyone is thinking about a bike from this company, you can't go wrong especially with the price. For a small company, they are stand up people and stand by their product. I built the bike back up today and give her a test ride around the drive way before coming to work. I'll try to post photo's and give you test ride udate next week.

Mcgruff

www.ntmba.org

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    Hey guys,
    I just got my fixation SS back from Fetish and I just want to say Kudo's to their company. I sent my frame back because the left seat stay was welded misaligned. They looked at the frame, noticed the problem and sent me a NEW frame no questions asked. They even installed my headset, BB, and the rear brakes ( V-brakes) on before they shipped the frame to me. If anyone is thinking about a bike from this company, you can't go wrong especially with the price. For a small company, they are stand up people and stand by their product. I built the bike back up today and give her a test ride around the drive way before coming to work. I'll try to post photo's and give you test ride udate next week.

Mcgruff

www.ntmba.org
    funny they never did send me the deraileur hanger i was bugging them about. i'll be going to my diamond back dealer for a replacement.

mtbr member

fetish cycles fan club

http://www.fetishcyclesfanclub.com/
    i just found this site i guess it is someone trying to start a fan club. it doesnt seem to be up and running yet but maybe if enough people e-mail [email protected]. it might get started. might be cool.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i hope to pick up a d&s and a obsession this summer and maybe a road frame as well depending on how things go. i think the sellers id is bikingusa or something like that, if you email her she will deal directly with you. on the red, i find myself going pretty far out of my way for red parts these days. it's gotta match.
    My frame is due tomorrow! I am looking forward to building ut up this weekend.

mtbr member
    My frame is due tomorrow! I am looking forward to building ut up this weekend.
    what parts are you using to build it up. I am in the process of building a discipline so far i have manitou black elite fork, xt components, race face evolve handle bars, and grips.

Retrograde Customs
    what parts are you using to build it up. I am in the process of building a discipline so far i have manitou black elite fork, xt components, race face evolve handle bars, and grips.
    i'm still waiting for my tax return so i can pick up some candy ti egg beaters and a manitou skareb. use the old stuff for my old discipline.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I used my tax return to buy my frame and fork and xt stuff. the rest of the bike i have to buy as I get the money, since I am working and going to school full time it may take a little while to get the rest bought, I hope to have it done by this summer. i am currenty riding a 6 yr old trek 820 so i can't wait to get my discipline done, it will be a definate improvement.

Retrograde Customs
    http://www.fetishcyclesfanclub.com/
    i just found this site i guess it is someone trying to start a fan club. it doesnt seem to be up and running yet but maybe if enough people e-mail [email protected]. it might get started. might be cool.
    i emailed the dude and he never got back to me.

mtbr member
    i emailed the dude and he never got back to me.
    same here

Retrograde Customs
    the fetish fan club appears to be up and running now.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do the decals have clear coat over them or are they just stuck on after paint and such?

mtbr member
    my discipline frame has a clear coat over the decal

Retrograde Customs
    They are under the clear coat on all 3 of my frames.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    They are under the clear coat on all 3 of my frames.
    Since you own both the fixation and the discipline what are the frame weights? Do you know? I am thinking of building one up but dont know if it is worth the extra 50 for horizontal drops. I might do SS i am not totally sure.

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti342
    Since you own both the fixation and the discipline what are the frame weights? Do you know? I am thinking of building one up but dont know if it is worth the extra 50 for horizontal drops. I might do SS i am not totally sure.
    i couldnt tell you an exact weight, i put mine together as soon as they hit my door step. fetish claims the 16" discipline at 1979g or 4.35 pounds, the 17" fixation is claimed at 2075g or 4.56 pounds. the fixation has alot more going on than the discipline. the front triangle is pretty much the same as the discipline but the rear is alot beefier. i'm building wheels for mine tomorrow.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I want to do a lighter build so i guess i if i get one it will be the discipline. Thanks for your help.

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti342
    I want to do a lighter build so i guess i if i get one it will be the discipline. Thanks for your help.
    i expect my fixation to be right around 20 pounds if not under. i have a D&S spec'd out under 18 with out pushing to hard but i'm still waiting for funding for that project.
    Retrograde Customs

Still on Training Wheels!
    What do you guys think of using a 16 inch Discipline frame for a DJ/Urban frame? Looking to get a hardtail frame and I'm leaning towards the Azonic Steelhead, but there very similar in price. I'd rathe sport the Fetish cause everyone has a steelhead.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    What do you guys think of using a 16 inch Discipline frame for a DJ/Urban frame? Looking to get a hardtail frame and I'm leaning towards the Azonic Steelhead, but there very similar in price. I'd rathe sport the Fetish cause everyone has a steelhead.
    I did it with my first discipline and had no problems, for 50 bucks more you can get the obssession which has a more abusive life in mind. i'll have updated pics of my 05 discipline as soon as my srp order comes in, there are always updates on my site as well.
    Retrograde Customs

IMHO the Obsetion is crazy ugly. I'm sure it is a stout bike though cause it most certainly looks like it.

What head angle do you think I would get if I slap a 130mm fork on the discipline?

Retrograde Customs
    IMHO the Obsetion is crazy ugly. I'm sure it is a stout bike though cause it most certainly looks like it.

What head angle do you think I would get if I slap a 130mm fork on the discipline?
    no clue there i stick with 100mm forks these days. my K2 took a DJ2 and it was a little high in the front though.
    Retrograde Customs

Do you have any pics of your Discipline built up for DJ/urban?

Retrograde Customs
    Do you have any pics of your Discipline built up for DJ/urban?
    this is the only one i could find and it's not great, i didnt have a digital when i built this one. that was my urban/trial setup though, you can't build dj's here cuz people won't leave them alone.
    Retrograde Customs

I really apreciate all your help.

I've been compairing the Disciplines geometry to alot of other DJ/Urban frames(P seires, STP, Soul Cycles), and outside of the Head tube angle they are all very similar, but because I'm going to use a 130mm fork aposed to a 100mm fork I think that it will put the HA around 70-69 degrees.

As soon as I get the cash I'm getting a 16 inch Discipline frame in white for my urban frame Can't go wrong for the price

Retrograde Customs
    I really apreciate all your help.

I've been compairing the Disciplines geometry to alot of other DJ/Urban frames(P seires, STP, Soul Cycles), and outside of the Head tube angle they are all very similar, but because I'm going to use a 130mm fork aposed to a 100mm fork I think that it will put the HA around 70-69 degrees.

As soon as I get the cash I'm getting a 16 inch Discipline frame in white for my urban frame Can't go wrong for the price
    Good stuff!!! post it up once you get it.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs

Fetish group on Yahoo!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FetishCyclesOwners

just put it up, membership requires fetish ownership and my aproval. this isnt gonna be like the fetish cycles fan club which has more other bikes than fetishs. people in this thread make note of your mtbr sn when you join and that will get you in.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs

here's some updates!!!!

still waiting for ti bb and my al crank bolts but it's coming along nicely i've got it almost where i want it.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    looks good, i only have a few more things to finish mine: bottom bracket, stem, seat, and wheel set, and a few other little things, i will post pics as soon as i get a hold of a digital camera

Retrograde Customs
    looks good, i only have a few more things to finish mine: bottom bracket, stem, seat, and wheel set, and a few other little things, i will post pics as soon as i get a hold of a digital camera
    I'm still pretty far from being finished with this bike, but it's starting to come along now.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs
    Got my Fixation finished up today.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member

... and if we just ... looks good

looks really good, and nice pic. i just orderd everthing i need to finish my discipline last night, except the stem and bottom bracket i will get from my lbs, can't wait untill it is finished.

Retrograde Customs
    looks really good, and nice pic. i just orderd everthing i need to finish my discipline last night, except the stem and bottom bracket i will get from my lbs, can't wait untill it is finished.
    Wow i got the email for this reply 3 times, must be really important. lol. anyways, i posted it up on the ss board, got 1 reply, guess no one loves me anymore. back to the bike, i'm diggin the rigid fork, the only thing that would make me 10 times happier with it now is some longer chainring bolts, it's pretty spaced to clear the chain and theres not much thread on them, i'd feel better about it if i had some of those long ones. i should have a customer coming within the hour so i don't think i want to make a run to the only good lbs around. keep us posted on your ride i can't wait to see it.
    Last edited by dansjustchillin; 07-14-2005 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typos
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    thanks, this will be my first build so i am pretty excited, besides i have had this frame sitting in my room for about 6 months and it is starting to drive me crazy, but i guess that is what happens when you are a broke college student trying to build a bike

Retrograde Customs
    thanks, this will be my first build so i am pretty excited, besides i have had this frame sitting in my room for about 6 months and it is starting to drive me crazy, but i guess that is what happens when you are a broke college student trying to build a bike
    yeah i hear that i had this fixation sitting for a while too and now my old discipline frame is sitting now. still have a bunch of upgrades in mind but those are gonna have to wait, i have to pay some attention to my car now and some other things before i can build more bikes.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    I bought a fixation frame... $150 with $40 shipping off of ebay. Looked like a great frame... 4.5lbs, great looking welds. I have a manitou black, easton ec70 stem, hayes hxm1 mech discs, some others on the way. Won't start building it till august though.

by the way - i'm looking for a single speed crankset/BB combo... for 100 dollars or less anybody got a solution?

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I bought a fixation frame... $150 with $40 shipping off of ebay. Looked like a great frame... 4.5lbs, great looking welds. I have a manitou black, easton ec70 stem, hayes hxm1 mech discs, some others on the way. Won't start building it till august though.

by the way - i'm looking for a single speed crankset/BB combo... for 100 dollars or less anybody got a solution?
    you can do it ebay. dunno what all you're gonna find with a bb for that price. i got my north shore xs set for under 100 shipped.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    you can do it ebay. dunno what all you're gonna find with a bb for that price. i got my north shore xs set for under 100 shipped.
    well i've found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but from the reviews I've read the BB is not that good? I only weigh 135lbs though, I won't be putting much stress on any of the bike parts. I'm thinking that even if it is a POS, i'm practically getting it for free at that price and i can replace it for $30-40 with a decent shimano BB. thoughts?

Jul 2005
    also- a little advice needed - will this work with a fixation? (link )

The fixation takes a 68/113mm BB correct?

I've never put together a crankset before so i'm a little under the know.

Retrograde Customs
    the firex is a better crankset and yes the bb shell is 68mm. i'm running a race face taperlock bb on mine. i like the adjustable cups.
    Retrograde Customs

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005

my obsession

Since I havnt seen any other Obsessions around here, check mine out

Took a month of saving and ebaying, but the total bike was reasonable and good part spec.

On the way are a set of new Hayes 8" rotors/calipers. For some reason the brakes i bought originally (original hayes) didnt want to fit on the fork...and the rear brake is the 22mm old standard, which makes things rather funky fitting with the horizontal dropouts and tall rim and tall tire, etc

rear tire clearance cant exceed 5mm at any time .

quick specs:
    Sherman Flick 150mm
    DT/Swiss hubs laced to mag 30s (20mm front)
    Nokian 2.5 NBX Tires
    Hussefelts with E-13 bash
    Azonic Shorty stem
    Surly 1x1
    etc etc

Rides nice balance point is a bit far back, very easy to manual/wheelie. Single speed is cool, i do miss having a front brake though. lol

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    Since I havnt seen any other Obsessions around here, check mine out

Took a month of saving and ebaying, but the total bike was reasonable and good part spec.

On the way are a set of new Hayes 8" rotors/calipers. For some reason the brakes i bought originally (original hayes) didnt want to fit on the fork...and the rear brake is the 22mm old standard, which makes things rather funky fitting with the horizontal dropouts and tall rim and tall tire, etc

rear tire clearance cant exceed 5mm at any time .

quick specs:
    Sherman Flick 150mm
    DT/Swiss hubs laced to mag 30s (20mm front)
    Nokian 2.5 NBX Tires
    Hussefelts with E-13 bash
    Azonic Shorty stem
    Surly 1x1
    etc etc

Rides nice balance point is a bit far back, very easy to manual/wheelie. Single speed is cool, i do miss having a front brake though. lol

that's sweet!!! i want to build one but i have a D&S and a Position next on my list.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    that's sweet!!! i want to build one but i have a D&S and a Position next on my list.
    Man, I can't believe the DS is only $250 on ebay!

If FC ever becomes very popular (it seems like they will), our bikes will sell for way more than we paid

Retrograde Customs
    Man, I can't believe the DS is only $250 on ebay!

If FC ever becomes very popular (it seems like they will), our bikes will sell for way more than we paid
    Yeah seems that way. i've gotten my discipline about as light as it's gonna get so it's time to upgrade to a D&S and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a rigid fork. the D&S comes in a 17 like my fixation and i love the way my fixation feels with the surly instigator fork on it (447mm axle to crown) so i'm looking for a fork now too. the pace rc31 is lookin like the one i might get but i'm not sure it's gonna take my $hit.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    Yeah seems that way. i've gotten my discipline about as light as it's gonna get so it's time to upgrade to a D&S and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a rigid fork. the D&S comes in a 17 like my fixation and i love the way my fixation feels with the surly instigator fork on it (447mm axle to crown) so i'm looking for a fork now too. the pace rc31 is lookin like the one i might get but i'm not sure it's gonna take my $hit.
    How tall are ya? I ordered the 17" assuming it would fit my 5"9 body perfectly

Retrograde Customs
    How tall are ya? I ordered the 17" assuming it would fit my 5"9 body perfectly
    i'm 5''9 too and i like the 17. the 16s are easier to throw around though for sure. my white discipline is gonna end up being for my gf and my red one will probably end up with an urban/trails kind of setup.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    i'm 5''9 too and i like the 17. the 16s are easier to throw around though for sure. my white discipline is gonna end up being for my gf and my red one will probably end up with an urban/trails kind of setup.
    mine is going urban/trails as well. I'm trying to keep it light too, though. I ride around the UC Irvine campus a lot and hit the hills on the weekends. I gotta start doin some more leg excercies to get my power up for the SS...

Retrograde Customs
    mine is going urban/trails as well. I'm trying to keep it light too, though. I ride around the UC Irvine campus a lot and hit the hills on the weekends. I gotta start doin some more leg excercies to get my power up for the SS...
    yeah i'm gonna keep the fixation with a fairly burly xc/trail setup. i'm debating whether or not i wanna go ride right now. might save it for later.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    is the rear disc mount set up so the rear wheel w/disc can be taken out of the horiz. dropout easily?

Retrograde Customs
    is the rear disc mount set up so the rear wheel w/disc can be taken out of the horiz. dropout easily?
    no clue on that one i'm running avid ultimates on mine. i've been thinking about discs, i need to look into it for the D&S when it comes.
    Retrograde Customs

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    i'm speaking from the perspective of my Obsession frame...but...

i originally had a 22mm adapter and mount for the rear brake, but this lead to the disk rubbing the far inside of the caliper (not pads) and near impossible rear wheel removal.

With the new set of hayes that i bought (with standard adapters), everything is easy as pie. No problems whatsoever.

I would assume the dropouts are similar across the brand...good luck

Jan 2005

To the guys with the Disciplines...

What have you been cutting your steering tubes at? I couldn't find any recommendations on the site. Will 8" be good enough? Thx.

Z

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    i'm speaking from the perspective of my Obsession frame...but...

i originally had a 22mm adapter and mount for the rear brake, but this lead to the disk rubbing the far inside of the caliper (not pads) and near impossible rear wheel removal.

With the new set of hayes that i bought (with standard adapters), everything is easy as pie. No problems whatsoever.

I would assume the dropouts are similar across the brand...good luck
    The fixation frame is SS specific and has horizontal dropouts... the Obsession frame has regular vertical dropouts.

Retrograde Customs
    The fixation frame is SS specific and has horizontal dropouts... the Obsession frame has regular vertical dropouts.
    the obsession and fixation have the same dropouts bro.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by zRockstar
    What have you been cutting your steering tubes at? I couldn't find any recommendations on the site. Will 8" be good enough? Thx.

Z
    mine are all 9''. 8'' might work but i think it'll be really tight.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    the obsession and fixation have the same dropouts bro.
    doh, I thought to myself he was talking about the disciple frame. thought we were comparing the hardtails.

the obsession frame is a concept... I wonder how it works out on the trail.

Retrograde Customs
    doh, I thought to myself he was talking about the disciple frame. thought we were comparing the hardtails.

yeah i gotta pick up a D&S before i go there. i gotta catch up on alot of other builds too. i almost got my Ibis together today. need a fork.
    Retrograde Customs

Jul 2005
    duplicate post from SS forum...

A couple hours and a couple beers later, i've built the front end and brakes on my new bike. This is my first time building a bike myself... Fetish cycles Fixation frame, manitou black fork, azonic wf handlebars, easton stem and FSA pig headset. It came out right the first time, spins perfectly. Just finishing setting up the hayes hmx-1 mech's. Next step is putting together the crank. I just got the arms in today, so i'll start that in about an hour. Here's some pics

mtbr member

my new discipline- finally

to all the naysayers who thought i would never finish my bike, here it is

Retrograde Customs
    to all the naysayers who thought i would never finish my bike, here it is
    That's nice man. you gotta get some more red on there to really set it off
    Retrograde Customs

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005

i've been doing a lot of trail riding (single speed, 32 x 18t) and as long as you dont have any steep climbs i've had no problems. I'm 5' 11" with the small frame...and mag 30s/nokian 2.5s...and a 6" sherman. Its lots of fun to struggle a little uphill, but everything is a blast downhill or in the rough stuff...or any time theres a moderate rock drop. hehe

Jul 2005
    i've bought some sun SOS rims with surly hubs... they should be built next week and then I'll have my fixation done.

till then keep them comin

Retrograde Customs
    here's a few new ones. everyone that like their fetish as much as i like mine should PM me i have a group you might be interested in.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    just got my discipline in today. it looks nice but, i should got a different color. mine came black anodized with no clear just stickers slapped on after the finish. anybody else get on like this? do the stickers stay on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jroymcd
    just got my discipline in today. it looks nice but, i should got a different color. mine came black anodized with no clear just stickers slapped on after the finish. anybody else get on like this? do the stickers stay on?
    i have a red discipline, that i got around january and it has a clear over the stickers.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jroymcd
    my 'black' fixation frame (its actually a dark blue, looks good though) has those decal things. Makes it look kind of cheap.

mtbr member
    my 'black' fixation frame (its actually a dark blue, looks good though) has those decal things. Makes it look kind of cheap.
    yeah, thats what i thought also. do the decals stay on? my should be done this weekend
    Last edited by jroymcd; 09-14-2005 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    just finished putting it together

Jul 2005
    nice bike jroy... I like it a lot.

heres mine, just finished a couple days ago

Jan 2005
    I'm going to have pictures here in a few days of mine after I put the finishing touches on the build. Here's the specs:

Frame: White Fetish Disipline
    Fork: Marzocchi Marathon SL
    Stem: Thompson Elite
    Handlebars: FSA XC190
    Grips: WTB
    Headset: FSA Orbit X
    Shifters: Shimano LX
    Brake Levers: Shimano XT Hydraulic
    Front Derailluer: Shimano XT
    Rear Derailluer: Shimano XT
    Brakes: Shimano 765 XT Hydraulic
    Cranks: 2pc Shimano 765 XT
    Chain: Shimano XTR
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Seat: WTB Laser V Team
    Rims: Mavic 819
    Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
    Hubs: Shimano XT centerlock
    Cassette: Shimano XT

All parts are brand new, and never ridden. I will post pictures of it in all its beauty before I thrash it.
    Last edited by zRockstar; 09-23-2005 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    first ride on my fetish I washed and broke my arm. not sure how i will feel getting bak on it after i heel.

Jan 2005
    Damn, sorry to hear that man. Get well and back on the trail asap!

ground hugger
    still waiting for ti bb and my al crank bolts but it's coming along nicely i've got it almost where i want it.
    how did you get the king headset to fit the integrated head tube?

I have a D&S coming, and it would be a nice option.

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunole
    how did you get the king headset to fit the integrated head tube?

I have a D&S coming, and it would be a nice option.
    the discipline does not have an integrated head tube.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member

D&S Owners?

Hey D&S Model riders, what travel fork are you running?

I know the frame is designed around an 80mm travel fork, but I want more, I am thinking putting a 100mm fork.
    If the steering feels too slow, I will reduce the travel to 90mm to see how she feels.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

ground hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    Hey D&S Model riders, what travel fork are you running?

I know the frame is designed around an 80mm travel fork, but I want more, I am thinking putting a 100mm fork.
    If the steering feels too slow, I will reduce the travel to 90mm to see how she feels.
    I am still building mine up (actually waiting on the frame from Bargain Basement Bikes a'la ebay.) I am going to build it around 100mm fork from my old bike and a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST. I'll send pics when it's done with descriptions of the ride.

ground hugger
    Did you ever have a chance to build up the D&S?

mtbr member

Which D&S?

Just curious about which D&S frames you have. I have an older one with the solid white letters and it does not have the Zonal Tubing Decal.

Now I see the ones on Ebay have ornate lettering, but I have read that these just have a sticker that is not clear coated. Is this true?

I really would like to see one completely built up.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

ground hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    Just curious about which D&S frames you have. I have an older one with the solid white letters and it does not have the Zonal Tubing Decal.

Now I see the ones on Ebay have ornate lettering, but I have read that these just have a sticker that is not clear coated. Is this true?

I really would like to see one completely built up.
    That's funny, I was just on Ridefetish .com and my email booped with your message. I am still waiting on my frame ($200 on ebay new 05 purchased from desert bicycles) It does not have the fancy lettering but I think it has the columbus sticker.

I will post as my project goes along.

In the meantime check out some of the D&S bikes on ridefetish. (still don't think they can hang with Dan'sjustchillin as far as the custom make factor is concerned.

Retrograde Customs
    Did you ever have a chance to build up the D&S?
    not yet i'm lacking the funding for such things at the moment. when i do get the frame i'm gonna get a pace rc-31 on it at the same time. i put most of the stuff from my red discipline on my fixation so i'm gonna start from scratch when i finnally get to build a D&S. i think the end result will be good though.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger
    Just an anodized FYI, purelycustom.com has some low tech parts for cheap.

Retrograde Customs
    Just an anodized FYI, purelycustom.com has some low tech parts for cheap.
    once i get back on my feet an start building again i'm gonna order some top caps and spacers from them probably. that's some good stuff.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs

Update

here's the latest picture of my fixation.

ground hugger
    here's the latest picture of my fixation.
    sweet.

I wish they made the D&S with a normal headset stack. King is soooooo nice (and I can't afford a $700 wheelset). Get my frame on Wednesday!!!!

Retrograde Customs
    sweet.

I wish they made the D&S with a normal headset stack. King is soooooo nice (and I can't afford a $700 wheelset). Get my frame on Wednesday!!!!
    i had maybe 300 into my kings when i had them. i probably have just as much into my pauls.

ground hugger
    Got my D&S today! The tubing is better than the pictures indicate! (now I just need the seatpost, BB, and F. Der.)

Have to start out with lower end parts, but gradually it'll be purty!

Retrograde Customs
    Got my D&S today! The tubing is better than the pictures indicate! (now I just need the seatpost, BB, and F. Der.)

Have to start out with lower end parts, but gradually it'll be purty!
    pics?

ground hugger

Ridefetish.com

I am posting them on ridefetish.com as I go along. I go by mizunole there as well. I don't know how to shrink the photo size in Picture It to fit MTBR requirements.
    I am basically at a standstill (BB and Headset in on Wednesday from Blueskycycling.com) BTW if you need a cheap (just pay shipping) Shimano splined BB when you get your D&S let me know (my ebay seller sent the wrong BB).

Good news is everything is paid for!!!!!

ground hugger

Ridefetish.com

anybody else had a chance to check out this site?

Retrograde Customs
    anybody else had a chance to check out this site?
    been on it since the begining but havent put pics up yet. i had everything on the fcfc. all my stuff is on my site though. if my job interview goes well today i should be building a new car and a D&S in the near future.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger
    been on it since the begining but havent put pics up yet. i had everything on the fcfc. all my stuff is on my site though. if my job interview goes well today i should be building a new car and a D&S in the near future.
    How did the interview go?

Retrograde Customs
    How did the interview go?
    don't know yet. once the guy found out i run, or at least ran a bike business he kinda lit up and started talking about his FSR so hopfully that'll be enough to get me the job.
    Retrograde Customs

Apr 2005
    sorry to change the pitch of the board, but anyhow im contemplating a discipline frame. im currently on a medium c-dale jekyll lframe, which is about 16.9 inches center of bb to center of seat tube (give or take couple tenths of an inch depending on how the rear shock is configured). so the question is, do i sport a 16.25" or 18" discipline frame. this rig will be my first hardtail, i basically want a goat that will climb. any input?

ground hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by ek0307
    sorry to change the pitch of the board, but anyhow im contemplating a discipline frame. im currently on a medium c-dale jekyll lframe, which is about 16.9 inches center of bb to center of seat tube (give or take couple tenths of an inch depending on how the rear shock is configured). so the question is, do i sport a 16.25" or 18" discipline frame. this rig will be my first hardtail, i basically want a goat that will climb. any input?
    What is your inseam? total height? What other frames are you considering?

Apr 2005
    im about 5'10" / 5'11", i rode some f series cannondale in a medium fit. they are also about 17 inches, and this fits me nicely. the small sized frame, was in fact to small. to bad the fetish doesnt come in a true 17" size.

Retrograde Customs
    im about 5'10" / 5'11", i rode some f series cannondale in a medium fit. they are also about 17 inches, and this fits me nicely. the small sized frame, was in fact to small. to bad the fetish doesnt come in a true 17" size.
    the 16 will probably be too small. the fixation comes in a 17 if you wanted to spend the extra 50 bucks.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger
    I agree that the 16 would be too small from your height, I ride a 17.5 D&S just fine, and I am also 5'11' (depending on the shoes ). I have a buddy who has a 16" Kona and I feel like I am riding my daughters bike when I ride it.

Apr 2005
    i was looking into the d&s, basically the same thing as the discipline but name brand tubing. where did you find it for an extra fifty bucks?

ground hugger
    i was looking into the d&s, basically the same thing as the discipline but name brand tubing. where did you find it for an extra fifty bucks?
    The fixation will run you $50 more, but the D&S will run you at $150 more (generally goes for $250 on ebay)

IMHO $250 for a true 3 lb frame is unheard of. The fixation adds some fixed gear options which is pretty cool, but if you are looking for a "billy goat" I think the extra $150 for the D&S is right thing to do.

Retrograde Customs
    the dropouts and headtube are different, not to mention the sizing.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger
    the dropouts and headtube are different, not to mention the sizing.
    true that...The angles are the same 71-73 but for some reason the they change the sizing around on the D&S. I bought mine as a 17.5 and it looks like they are only sold in 17 and 19 now. In which case you would be looking at the 17 obviously. Either way, all three are a steal for what they are asking for them.

ground hugger

... and if we just ... Where there is a will...

pics?
    the hope/717 wheelset with red alloy nipples is in the mail...any word on the interview Dan?

Retrograde Customs
    the hope/717 wheelset with red alloy nipples is in the mail...any word on the interview Dan?
    I got passed up for someone with a fork lift certification. so i'm still looking. i can't wait to find something, it'll be a huge weight off my shoulders. it's starting to get sunny again so i'm trying to get my business up again but it's such a niche thing that people are attracted to i guess. nice ride BTW.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs

What a day!!

it started out at 8 his morning when i got in my mini and drove out dublin. got back at noon and built a bike for someone. that someones old frame just so happened to be an obsession which i worked in to the deal so now i have an obsession in my stable. this week is only getting better. my b-day is friday. oh yeah
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger

Not fair!!

it started out at 8 his morning when i got in my mini and drove out dublin. got back at noon and built a bike for someone. that someones old frame just so happened to be an obsession which i worked in to the deal so now i have an obsession in my stable. this week is only getting better. my b-day is friday. oh yeah
    Must post pics! Happy B-day!!! Carbon Beeeottch

Retrograde Customs
    Must post pics! Happy B-day!!! Carbon Beeeottch
    oh there will be pics aplently once i get going on it. i'm about to go see about another interview at dale hardware right now. i'm feeling good this week so maybe i'll get lucky and get a job. be one hell of a b-day present. BTW what size seat post is the obsession supposed to take? dude had a 30.9 in it and it looks some what smashed. i'd like to be sure the proper size post goes in this frame.
    Retrograde Customs

Retrograde Customs
    here's a phone picture.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger
    here's a phone picture.
    duhduhduhduhduhduh ..DAN!..duhduhduhduhduhduhduhduh....DAN!...

Retrograde Customs
    duhduhduhduhduhduh ..DAN!..duhduhduhduhduhduhduhduh....DAN!...
    that's my name. what's up?
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger

Ima thinkin.....

He is gonna trick this one with a brass pair (a'la redneck truck frame) hangin' from a canti boss!

Get that job!!!!! Get that job!!! Get that job!!! Get that job!!!

Retrograde Customs
    He is gonna trick this one with a brass pair (a'la redneck truck frame) hangin' from a canti boss!

Get that job!!!!! Get that job!!! Get that job!!! Get that job!!!
    I'm thinkin about an 04 shiver sc and some atomlab rims. quite possibly some profile cranks. oh and discs gotta have the discs. i'm not gonna build this to be light.
    Retrograde Customs

Jan 2005

(off topic) disc brakes?

i just slapped an Avid BB5 on my fetish fixation but it seems like i need to loosen a bolt, pull it up before i can get the wheeelset in! how did you guys manage to fix this? or does EVERYONE need to move the calipers out EVERYTIME??

ground hugger

Pics please

Quote Originally Posted by bikoy
    i just slapped an Avid BB5 on my fetish fixation but it seems like i need to loosen a bolt, pull it up before i can get the wheeelset in! how did you guys manage to fix this? or does EVERYONE need to move the calipers out EVERYTIME??
    I had no problem with the D&S

Retrograde Customs
    I had no problem with the D&S
    the D&S and Fixation have different dropouts
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member

fixation SS 17"

I built up this Fixation SS to replace my ghetto homebrew SS. I work at a shop and happened to call fetish, (nice cuz they are in AZ too), and I scored the frame for 100 bucks. It's got a new fork on it now, a RS Recon 351 (haven't had a chance to ride it yet, due to bad weather). Anyway....here is the spec and a pic
    17" Fixation
    Marz Xfly
    Paul hubs laced to Sun Rhino Lites (built em myself), Kenda Kinetics
    Race Face SS crank 34:20 ratio, and ATAC pedals
    Avid Ultimate V's and Avid SD 7 levers
    Old Race face x y post and a Selle Trans Am Saddle
    Ritchey Stem and Yeti ARC carbon bars

The new fork slacks out the head angle some and it looks mean as hell, i'll post it asap

This is one sturdy a** frame, I have abused it alot and it holds up great, stiff stiff stiff. I'm thinking about another fetish frame down the road too. Maybe a road frame Black Soul, yum!
    luck favors the prepared.

ground hugger

Nice

Man, they make a nice bike...

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Fixation and Recon

Here is my Fixaion SS with the Recon fork, it's set at about 115mm now.
    luck favors the prepared.

mtbr member
    How do these frames measure up? I'm 6'2" and was riding a 20" Sette Reken that was just a bit too small. I now have a 22" disipline but it almost seems like too much. Anyone else 6'2" and rides a Disipline?

Retrograde Customs
    Hey i just got a new job so look for new stuff from me in the months to come.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger

MR. Anodized (Dan)

What bolts are ok to replace with aluminum? Stem, I think I am going to stick with steel. I've replaced my front deraileur, grip clamp, and H20 bolts with aluminum.

Retrograde Customs
    What bolts are ok to replace with aluminum? Stem, I think I am going to stick with steel. I've replaced my front deraileur, grip clamp, and H20 bolts with aluminum.
    get an srp kit for the rear derailuer, ti bolts for the stem, aluminum for brake levers and shifters.
    Retrograde Customs

ground hugger

If you want a D&S you best get steppin'..

Check out ridefetish for details...

ouch
    Just made the dive and I'm truly anxious. Tell me what you think of the build.

'06 Fetish Obsession
    '05 Z1 FRIII 20mm
    '06 BB7s / speed dial levers
    Hussefelt cranks - 22/32/bash
    SRAM X7 rear / PG970 cassette / X7 shifters and front derailer to be determined...might just go with a single.
    Cane Creek lock ons
    FSA Pig headset
    Raceface evolve dh stem
    Sun S-types on XT hubs
    Cheapo Kalloy handlebar
    Power V saddle

...I'm still searching for a BB and seatpost. I'll probably go with a gigapipe and an Easton though.

Retrograde Customs
    not bad. i'm gonna probably pick up a D&S before the month is out to make sure i get one before all this QBP nonsense gets to carried away. then i'm gonna start looking for parts for my obsession.
    Retrograde Customs

ouch
    Finally...

Feb 2005
    I have a fixation. I set mine up for urban assault and trials riding. I have bontrager wheels with lx hubs, maxxis hollyrollers, xtr brakes, an '02 marz. dj (I love it even though its old, just because its spring only, no air, and for some reason I like that.) I have FSA orbit headset, Azonic box stem, truvativ bars, bontrager lock-on grips, truvativ trials cranks w/ 22T and saw bashguard. And I have an LX r. der. with 8 spds. I love the dimesions of the frame. mine is the "17 inch" which is really 14.75 center to center bb to TT. I'm 6'2, 230 lbs. and it seems firm under me. I love it, its about 25 lbs, which for and urban bike is prettyy light for how strong it is. I bought it complete for $315 practically new, and I've done a couple upgrades and am in the process of some more. I'm thinkin about some Magura hyd. rim brakes, or some disk brakes. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'll put a picture up if I can figure out how to

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...0-bec358eca339

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...0-bec358eca339

These pictures are old, they are before I put the new crankset on, plus my room as dirty as uh... the dirt outside. If you know what I mean? Or should I say its dirtier than a dutch prostitute, get my drift? You know what Im saying? Dirtier then a pig walloing around in mud. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never clean my room and its filthy. And I know they are bad pictures I'll try to get outside with my camera and get some better ones.
    Last edited by Tallboy350; 04-24-2006 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    This is my first build. I have been changing a lot of things around to get it just perfect. It is meant for agressive XC. My objective was to build something that can climb very well but go down very fast also. It weighs almost exactly 26lbs (25.97lbs actual weight).

When I need a break from my engineering studies, this does the job.

Apr 2006

05 Fetish Cycles Obsession

Check out my 05 Obsession. Im getting singletracks tomorrow. This is a great frame for $250.
    derek-

Apr 2006

05 Fetish Cycles Obsession

Hey check out my 05 Obsession. I'm getting Singletracks tomorrow
    derek-

mtbr member

"new"Fetish

Ok,I got my Fetish frame off Ebay over a year ago.My current street ride is dying a slow death.Cracks in alu bottom bracket on old GT STS.There's alot of good newer stuff on it I want to use on the Fetish.The Sid World Cup would be cool,but the stearer is too short.And it's a carbon stearer,so one of those extenders is out.Because I'm going broke,(quit my job last Aug.)I'm thinking rigid fork. Just found a Surly fork that is compensated for bikes ment for 100 mm travel.Which the Fixation geo is ment for.Here's the wierd related story.I sold my friend a new set of Magura HS 33 brakes.I went to put them on.It's an '04 Rockhopper.I did the rear first.No problem.A few ale's latter I get to the front.WTF!
    It's a Manitou fork!I dunno.I can't deal with this now.Maybe the Evo adaptor?He say well,I'll get a new fork.He's broke too.So he got a Kona rigid fork.I let him use(I wanted to see and feel what it was like)a set of Holyrollers.Way cool.When I'm done I'll post a pic here.Should be finished in 2 weeks.Telling the wife it's for her.Should be sick with Hookworms on it!
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...21&category=85

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Who's Fixation?

I'm in process of ordering my 19" Fixation and Love the build On the one pictured. If its yours, could you please spec the whole build and give some pro's and con's. Killer bike you have.

Thanks,
    Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

seat post collar size

I ordered a discipline and while it is in the mail am looking what parts will I need. Does anyone know what size of a seatpost collar i need?

ground hugger
    Disciplines run a 27.2 post diam., 68 mm BB, and a 31.8 front der. according to the fetish website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast