EVO's in NJ...?- Mtbr.com

Thread: EVO's in NJ...?

-Fly you fools!-

EVO's in NJ...?

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody with an Evo happens to live in New Jersey and would perhaps be willing to lend a test ride(Even if just a parking lot ride)...?

I've been looking into a new bike for a long while now and thought I made up my mind with a Nomad and put a deposit down on one at a shop. The Nomad was at the top of my list, along with the Evo(numbers 1 & 2 actually, with a Heckler at number 3), and the one at the shop is a really good deal, almost too good to pass up, which is one of the many reasons I picked this bike. I actually now happen to work at that shop so I could probably get my money back from the deposit, so that's not a big deal. Anyway, I always test ride the Nomad around and I love it, and really thought I had made up my mind, but the one and only bike that I look back on and wonder about is the Evo. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Nomad feels like the bike for me, but the only bike out there that has me second guessing myself is the Evo. So I really feel to be fully and 100% content in knowing I made the right choice with the Nomad is to ride an Evo for a comparison....

So again, anybody with an Evo live in NJ? Preferably central.....

Thanks in advance,

Scott

mtbr member
    Scotty,

It depends on what you are looking for out of a bike. There is a lot of discussion on VPP traits versus four bars - what type of riding will you be using it for?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

Hey Scotty878.....

Quote Originally Posted by scotty878
    Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody with an Evo happens to live in New Jersey and would perhaps be willing to lend a test ride(Even if just a parking lot ride)...?

I've been looking into a new bike for a long while now and thought I made up my mind with a Nomad and put a deposit down on one at a shop. The Nomad was at the top of my list, along with the Evo(numbers 1 & 2 actually, with a Heckler at number 3), and the one at the shop is a really good deal, almost too good to pass up, which is one of the many reasons I picked this bike. I actually now happen to work at that shop so I could probably get my money back from the deposit, so that's not a big deal. Anyway, I always test ride the Nomad around and I love it, and really thought I had made up my mind, but the one and only bike that I look back on and wonder about is the Evo. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Nomad feels like the bike for me, but the only bike out there that has me second guessing myself is the Evo. So I really feel to be fully and 100% content in knowing I made the right choice with the Nomad is to ride an Evo for a comparison....

So again, anybody with an Evo live in NJ? Preferably central.....

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    I rode the Nomad for 2 years prior to the new 08 EVO I'm riding now. Night and day!!!! I'd go with the EVO hands down!!!!

Read my review in this forum ( http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=403246 ).

The VPP system, no matter how I set it up, was a dual personallity bike. Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde!

If your lookin for a big hit bike that "Flows" through the rocks effortlessly, Get the EVO. If your looking for VPP hype and a hard tail ride while on the gas, get the Nomad.

-Fly you fools!-
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Scotty,

It depends on what you are looking for out of a bike. There is a lot of discussion on VPP traits versus four bars - what type of riding will you be using it for?
    I'm looking for a burly AM/light FR bike. Something that can do a little bit of everything really, since it will be my only bike, so I need it to be a do-all rig. Climb well enough that it doesn't kill me, but mainly, be tons of fun on the descents. Even be capable of a little XC for the flatter trails around me, but not anything like a race XC bike, just a good peddler on the flats. It also needs to be able to handle some bigger stuff like some light FR like I said, since I want to take it to Diablo Freeride Park from time to time since that isn't too far from me. Weight isn't a major concern for me, just so long as it's decently efficient so I'm not dying after some good rides.

With those parameters I had narrowed it down to the Nomad, Evo, and Heckler. I had others like two Transitions, a Giant and some others, but those were the final three. I really wasn't considering this much money, but I tried a Heckler which felt great, and everybody said go with the best you can off the bat, so I stepped up the price a little bit, which opened up the ideas of the Nomad and Evo. Then they had the Nomad on hand, which I rode and it felt great too. The Evo just got phased out since I wasn't able to try it!

Only thing I think I'd change on the Evo if I were to get it would be a coil shock in place of the DHXA....Scratch that, just saw you updated the website(since last night, lol) with some new details, so this may make this an even harder decision....

There are things I like about each bike, so it's kind of hard to decide. I like the 1.5" HT on the Nomad, and the slacker angles. But the price is a bit better on the Evo, and it's so different, it's got that draw to it....Both have great records as far a CS is concerned too!

I know I said I'm not concerned with weight, but out of curiosity and just to get an idea in comparison to some Nomads, what are the build weights on the bikes with the stock builds?

And thanks for your input BMJ, I'll read your review when I get a chance...

Thanks again,
    Scott.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by scotty878
    I'm looking for a burly AM/light FR bike. Something that can do a little bit of everything really, since it will be my only bike, so I need it to be a do-all rig. Climb well enough that it doesn't kill me, but mainly, be tons of fun on the descents. Even be capable of a little XC for the flatter trails around me, but not anything like a race XC bike, just a good peddler on the flats. It also needs to be able to handle some bigger stuff like some light FR like I said, since I want to take it to Diablo Freeride Park from time to time since that isn't too far from me. Weight isn't a major concern for me, just so long as it's decently efficient so I'm not dying after some good rides.

With those parameters I had narrowed it down to the Nomad, Evo, and Heckler. I had others like two Transitions, a Giant and some others, but those were the final three. I really wasn't considering this much money, but I tried a Heckler which felt great, and everybody said go with the best you can off the bat, so I stepped up the price a little bit, which opened up the ideas of the Nomad and Evo. Then they had the Nomad on hand, which I rode and it felt great too. The Evo just got phased out since I wasn't able to try it!

Only thing I think I'd change on the Evo if I were to get it would be a coil shock in place of the DHXA....Scratch that, just saw you updated the website(since last night, lol) with some new details, so this may make this an even harder decision....

There are things I like about each bike, so it's kind of hard to decide. I like the 1.5" HT on the Nomad, and the slacker angles. But the price is a bit better on the Evo, and it's so different, it's got that draw to it....Both have great records as far a CS is concerned too!

I know I said I'm not concerned with weight, but out of curiosity and just to get an idea in comparison to some Nomads, what are the build weights on the bikes with the stock builds?

And thanks for your input BMJ, I'll read your review when I get a chance...

Thanks again,
    Scott.
    For what you just described - I truly believe there is no better riding bike than the EVO. You can read the reviews on our website from several different countries and editors.

A.

-Fly you fools!-
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    For what you just described - I truly believe there is no better riding bike than the EVO. You can read the reviews on our website from several different countries and editors.

A.
    That's what I was afraid of, since now it makes the decision hard again. lol...

Couple quick questions...

What's the average build weight? Just to get an idea in comparison to the Nomad...I know a lot matters on how it carries it's weight, but just to see.

Being around the Chumba forums, I see mention of the FR Evo? Is that just the Evo with the FR build or is it infact a bike with defferent angles and geometry? If different geo, what are those numbers?

For the FR build kit on your website, since its got a front der, I assume it's a 2x9?

I have a few other questions, but they're more the type if I were closer to really thinking about it/ordering

That's all that I can think of for now. If I think of any others I'll post up...

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Lars Tribus is in the NJ area and will be getting an EVO soon ... e-mail me @ [email protected].

-A.

-Fly you fools!-
    ...What should I e-mail you about exactly? My questions...?

yarrrp
    May 2007
    scotty,
    I have an evo and she sits at 33lbs and I have sent her off of 12ft drops and 25ft gaps no prob. The dhxair is actually pretty plush on this bike and would recommend that you go for that option. The four bar doesn't give the shock any choice but to be buttery. I used to ride an intense uzzi vpx and in my honest opinion vpp is a crap marketing gimmick that is super hard to maintain. Always felt like my tire was flat when hauling ass.

Members who have read this thread: 0