EVO or XCL- Mtbr.com

Thread: EVO or XCL

mmm bacon

EVO or XCL

Hi everyone I am hopefully going to be a Chumba owner within the next month . I have been researching a few different bikes, I have looked at Morewood Mbuzi or Shova St, the Felt Redemption and both of the Chumbas. I have spoken to Alan, but it was in November and the conversation we had was forgotten. I will be calling them tomorrow but I also decided that I would ask you all about your experiences, so I decided to turn to the forum. I rode DH for the last 6 years but due to a recent knee injury I can't anymore, the docs said super-d was okay as is some "lightly agressive" trail riding go figure what that means. I am looking for insight into what you have experienced and your feelings on both the XCL and the EVO. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I think you can't go wrong either way - but I would push you more towards the EVO if you are going to be doing any really aggressive / freeride type stuff on occassion.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    "Lightly aggressive" seems a wonderfully flexible suggestion.

I don't have any experience on the XCL, so can't give much of a comparison. I do have a fair number of miles on an Evo/36 combination built out as an AM/trail rig. It weighs in at about 33 in its current incarnation, which will probably last a while (Chumba wheelset, X.9 shifting, XT crank & cog, etc etc). I have no trouble climbing with it and I regularly ride 10 hr+ days on it. It will handle absolutely anything, is loads of fun on anything pointing down, and I'd guess the extra plush would make things just a bit easier on your knee.

You'd probably do well on an XCL as well, but coming from a DH background the Evo with a 36 or Lyric would be a sure way to put a big smile on your face, and would for sure soak up anything you might be inclined to class as "lightly aggressive".

Members who have read this thread: 0