EVO Standover??- Mtbr.com

Thread: EVO Standover??

mtbr member

EVO Standover??

I was wondering if anyone knew the stand over on the SM/M (AM) Evo w/ 160mm fork. I am 5'8" tall w/ fairly short legs and I was wondering if I would have any clearence issues.

I am currently looking at a Nomad RFX and the Evo. I pedaled around on a Med RFX and the standover was fine.

Any feedback or pictures would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member

Here's mine

At the front of the seat tube gusset, it measures 31.5" from the ground. The top tube slopes up to 35" at the back of the top headtube gusset.

This is a S/M EVO w/ a Fox Talas 36 at 160mm, with a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 in the rear and a Specialized Resolution 2.3 up front.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'10" with an inseam of 30. Standover is good for me.

nerfherder
    I'm 5'8" with short legs, too. I found the Evo (1st gen) to have adequate stand over. Bike felt low and balanced. At the time I tested the Evo I had a Turner 6 Pack. The top tube felt on par with the 6P or even a little lower.

mtbr member
    I've got the M/L '06 Evo frame, and I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam. My nuts are touching the top tube with the Lyrik on there. I would have gone with the S/M Evo frame, but I can't imagine being happy with a shorter tt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I've got the M/L '06 Evo frame, and I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam. My nuts are touching the top tube with the Lyrik on there. I would have gone with the S/M Evo frame, but I can't imagine being happy with a shorter tt.
    Maybe you need shorter nuts.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1
    I was wondering if anyone knew the stand over on the SM/M (AM) Evo w/ 160mm fork. I am 5'8" tall w/ fairly short legs and I was wondering if I would have any clearence issues.

I am currently looking at a Nomad RFX and the Evo. I pedaled around on a Med RFX and the standover was fine.

Any feedback or pictures would be greatly appreciated
    I have the AM small medium frame with a lyrik 160 and 2.6 Kenda Kinetics front and a Nevegal 2.1 rear. I am 5'8" with 30" inseam (jean size), and the standover is fine.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Friggen computer locked up and then posted three times. Sorry......
    Last edited by Scottandhisdog; 08-21-2007 at 04:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Now I am a little confused about which size I should get. I was going to get the M/L, but Jason at Chumba said that he rides a S/M and he's 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I am the same height, with a 34" inseam. He says that with a longer travel fork, the smaller frame gives you slightly more stand over, and the other measurements are nearly identical. The top tube is only 1/2" shorter, but you gain nearly an inch in standover. He even recommended laid back seat post, if I needed the extra reach, but I think that may look strange with the split seat tube.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Scottandhisdog; 08-21-2007 at 04:06 AM.

mtbr member
    My seat post is a zero setback, but my stem is 110mm and I seriously wouldn't want less room in the cockpit.
    I have longer than average arms, but at 6'2" yours are probably at least as long, and with a 34" inseam you'll have a couple inches of standover on the M/L frame. Plus, with legs that long you're going to have to extend the seat post crazy far to get the leg extension you want for climbing.

Just some more stuff to think about.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    But Jason at Chumba said that he rides a S/M and he's 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I am the same height, with a 34" inseam...he even recommended laid back seat post, if I needed the extra reach, but I think that may look strange with the split seat tube.
    What we have found (we as a dealer, not the manufacturer) with the EVO is that the upper seat tube angle allows the S/M frame to accomodate a wide range of riders. As you extent the seatpost, the seat moves back a lot, giving you a longer effective top tube, and in very good proportions. It works out so well that the M/L is really only needed for super tall riders. With your proportions you could go either way.

Seatpost setback is a matter of personal taste. As you get a longer seatpost, you move farther behind the BB, which is not optimal for pedal efficiency, but it does move your weight back. If you want the seat farther forward, a no setback post like a Thomson is good. If you want setback, only the Thomson does the split tube thing, most post do the setback at the clamp.

We have had good luck with I-Beam seats and posts because they give you so miuch flexibility to move the seat back and forth and adjust seat angles. With most I-Beam posts you can even reverse them if you want. They are so easy to change I could see a rider repositioning a seat based on the ride that day, or even changing the whole thing mid ride if you did a long climb followed by a long techncial descent.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Members who have read this thread: 0