EVO revelation- Mtbr.com

Thread: EVO revelation

Jun 2006

EVO revelation

I've been riding this all new Chumba Racing EVO frame and Iíve got too tell you its awesome!! With incredible pedaling, hardtail like cornering and 6 inches of extra plush rear air shock travel when needed. This is a truly agile bike that is made for Freeriding, all-mountain biking and downhill as well. I want to know who has tried one and what do they have to say about it. If you havenít tried one out, you really have to see for your self what all the fuss is about. You can contact Chumba Racing through their web site to test ride one or LamaCycles if youíre in Canada.

-J.

Gear Whore
    What other bikes have you ridden that you can compare it too and what are the weaknesses that you can see in the bike...if any?

Jul 2005
    so are you on their pay roll or what...

Jun 2006
    I've raced Chumba's downhill frame, the F4, last season, and I raced with an Intense M1 the season before that. I've ridden many bikes including Oryx DHOs and Turner DHR. You can check out my reveiww on the bike that I just posted up at http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_F...t_126463.shtml

As for weaknesses, all I can say is the BB height for may seem low for some people. I like it low but some may prefer it higher. One thing is for shure, the pros (cornering and stability) of having a low BB on this bike defenitly outweigh the cons

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    so are you on their pay roll or what...

Not yet but If I keep going faster on the race track I just might!!

Florida Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Macknish
    Not yet but If I keep going faster on the race track I just might!!
    little cocky, arent we???

Glad to Be Alive
    wow....8 post only 4 listed......all recent.....all about this bike.................sounds fishy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Apr 2006

I've raced Chumba's downhill frame, the F4, last season, and I raced with an Intense M1 the season before that. I've ridden many bikes including Oryx DHOs and Turner DHR. You can check out my reveiww on the bike that I just posted up at http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_F...t_126463.shtml

As for weaknesses, all I can say is the BB height for may seem low for some people. I like it low but some may prefer it higher. One thing is for shure, the pros (cornering and stability) of having a low BB on this bike defenitly outweigh the cons
    i dunno, i've test rode this bike at san juan when they did the demo day with Bike Co., and it was set up more as an all mountain bike...i am considering purchase the EVO for light free ride / all mountain use. my other choice is the turner rfx as i am a fan of the 4 bar design, and since the evo has a horst link it seems appealing. just out of curiousity though, wouldn't you prefer a longer travel bike for full on downhill? i mean, the evos i saw at the demo day were all built up like the one in this pic, basically, i want to know why you chose this bike when you could have got a longer travel rig..like the f4 or dhr..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spicymaguros; 06-03-2006 at 01:31 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by spicymaguros
    i dunno, i've test rode this bike at san juan when they did the demo day with Bike Co., and it was set up more as an all mountain bike...i am considering purchase the EVO for light free ride / all mountain use. my other choice is the turner rfx as i am a fan of the 4 bar design, and since the evo has a horst link it seems appealing. just out of curiousity though, wouldn't you prefer a longer travel bike for full on downhill? i mean, the evos i saw at the demo day were all built up like the one in this pic, basically, i want to know why you chose this bike when you could have got a longer travel rig..like the f4 or dhr..
    that linkage looks jacked....do you have any other pics of it (close ups)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jun 2006
    Well, basically I've ridden many long travel downhill bikes (Intense M1, Chumba F4, Oryx DHO 1 and 2, Turner DHR) and I have spotted many small DH bikes on the racing circuit in the last few seasons. This caught my attention since I always found that I had more travel than pedal efficiency and that most of the time in a downhill race, you're pedaling and cornering. In some sections (the really ruff ones) you know you have 6inches but as for the rest, I've appreciated having the pedaling power and the cornering efficiency. Itís just nimbler, more responsive than a big rig downhill bike. I guess the weight factor helps because the frame with the air shock is pretty light. Last year I was contemplating the small DH that intense makes, the Uzzi, but ended up riding an F4 because of a good deal from a friend. This year I made the move for an EVO frame and as I said, Iím more than satisfied. Youíre right though, it has been conceived as an all-mountain/freeride bike but I wanted to use it in a downhill environment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    that linkage looks jacked....
    That's the performance advantage !!!!
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Apr 2006

Well, basically I've ridden many long travel downhill bikes (Intense M1, Chumba F4, Oryx DHO 1 and 2, Turner DHR) and I have spotted many small DH bikes on the racing circuit in the last few seasons. This caught my attention since I always found that I had more travel than pedal efficiency and that most of the time in a downhill race, you're pedaling and cornering. In some sections (the really ruff ones) you know you have 6inches but as for the rest, I've appreciated having the pedaling power and the cornering efficiency. Itís just nimbler, more responsive than a big rig downhill bike. I guess the weight factor helps because the frame with the air shock is pretty light. Last year I was contemplating the small DH that intense makes, the Uzzi, but ended up riding an F4 because of a good deal from a friend. This year I made the move for an EVO frame and as I said, Iím more than satisfied. Youíre right though, it has been conceived as an all-mountain/freeride bike but I wanted to use it in a downhill environment.
    Yea, I'm not suprised it is capable as a downhill bike. and i agree with most everything you said, it is probably one of the best handling and pedaling bikes i've tried.

Made in China
    Jan 2006

*****ing Ride

I just got an EVO 2 weeks ago and have put around 70-80 miles on it and like Macknish I love the EVO. The first ride I rode with the BikeCo. demo ride at San Juan. The bike wasn't even tuned(still in process of getting it dialed in) and it already saved my A$$ over some huge boulders that I didn't see till it's too late, great handling bike and flows down like a cadi. Last weekend my body wanted to do MapleSpring to motorway, for those who don't know the trail it's 17 miles and 3500ft of climbing and this baby climbed like a champ...so we did the same ride again the next day with tired legs so it wasn't a fluke. I'm waiting to put my maverick DUC32 on it and new XT cranks set. Just got a new Thomson post with 12 degree offset and WTB saddle......almost done!!!!!!!!! YES!

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    oh here is the closer up of the rocker. Forgot to mention I got the new 210mm rotor for the magura brakes but waiting for the new fork and wheel to arrive.....oh maybe new pedals....anything else you guys can think of that I should get? haha.......God I hate yet love going to the bike shops. Where is my other piggy bank! haha.....
    Last edited by duke777; 06-03-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0