An EVO, at my house?- Mtbr.com
    splat

An EVO, at my house?

It's here(!!!) aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa hahahahaha

Finally Here! Unfortunately, none of the other parts have arrived. I'll take you guys along as I build her up. Yes her. Her name is Lucille.

EVO1.jpg

EVO2.jpg

EVO3.jpg
    have a safe and productive day.

Time is not a road.
    Sweet frame...

Odd that you got the silver rockers and not the pewter...? Or is there an option?

splat
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Sweet frame...

Odd that you got the silver rockers and not the pewter...? Or is there an option?
    Alan asked me what I wanted when I ordered this frame... and that's what I chose. He just wanted me to look good.

I would think it's an option. Real humans actually make and sell these frames

mtbr member
    Good choice on the silver. I actually like the lighter colored bell crank on this color frame. Have fun with the build!

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Some White rims on this frame would be soooooooo pimp!
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

splat
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    Some White rims on this frame would be soooooooo pimp!
    oh i know. i tried to get magura to send me a white Wotan too, but they couldn't find any. and like i'm going to wait another 4 weeks before i ride my bike...

although, that being said, i'm kinda glad the white isn't available. i'm just afraid that my badass bike would look too much like a ladies running shoe.

nerfherder
    What's your build going to be? Wotan and...?

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    DAMN! But I still can't wait to see the finished build!
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi this might be of interest, an Evo tested with a sprinkling of Wotan...

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/5327/v/1/sp/

splat
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    What's your build going to be? Wotan and...?
    Frame: Chumba Evo
    Fork: Magura Wotan 120-160mm
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL 203mm Ventidisc Rotors
    Wheels: WTB LaserDisc Trail
    Crankset: FSA Afterburner
    Cassette: Sram PG-990 11-32t
    Headset: FSA Pig DH Pro
    Shifters: Sram X.0 Twist
    Front D: Shimano XTR E-type
    Rear D: Sram X.9 short cage
    Handlebars: WTB TXC
    Stem: WTB TXC
    Seatpost: WTB TXC
    Saddle: WTB Laser V SLT
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.5

A lot of this is personal preference. I went with the Marta over the Louise because the guys at Magura said I'd probably have better reach with the Marta levers. I have tiny hands.

WTB stuff aplenty. Strong, not expensive, and relatively lightish. My kind of stuff.

I can get away with some of this stuff being 140 lbs.

What do you guys think?

Time is not a road.
    Looks good...

What's the engagement like on the WTBs?

Good call on the FSA headset...mine King is creaking. I don't have the heart to tell my wife who got if for me for Xmas...

Compulsive Bike Builder

Updated EVO addresses all that

Quote Originally Posted by Gee-Moment
    Hi this might be of interest, an Evo tested with a sprinkling of Wotan...
    I have been thinking about the Wotan for my EVO, I may do that someday.

That is a pretty decent review of the older EVO. Having ridden the new updated geometry model, I think most of the things they had issues with have been addressed by the new changes.

The steeper effective seat tube angle allows virtually any seatpost to work, makes fit and rider position much better for all around riding, and takes the EVO out of the "near freeride" category - geometry wise, anyway. It is still as strong as ever, of course. My legs also no longer hit the seatstays. The bottom bracket is still higher than average, but lowered by 1/2 - 1 inch, so a lot of the "monster truck" feel is gone.

Weight of my small/medium is around 8.8 lbs, and with the RP23, it is down around 8.3. My Ellsworth Moment, by comparison, is 7.8 and 7.3 lbs (DHX Air vs RP23), and many riders do not like the Moment for all mountain riding, looking for a stronger, heavier frame. Mine is built under 30 lbs with a Lyrik, 2.6 front tire, 29 mm wide rims, etc.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    I kinda like my older EVO the way it is but I have not tried the new Geometry.

Now I really want to check out the new one to see if the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How much wandering front end do you get...

...on the steeper, more technical climbs? I'm having a few issues with that right now with my current ride and will more than likely have an EVO (old geo) built up later this week, so need to figure out the right fork for it.
    Scott Ransom 910/Evil Insurgent/Chromag Primer...always wanting more!!

Compulsive Bike Builder

One that drops

Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    ...on the steeper, more technical climbs? I'm having a few issues with that right now with my current ride and will more than likely have an EVO (old geo) built up later this week, so need to figure out the right fork for it.
    Get one that drops. The more better. The new Fox 36 that goes 160/130/100 is awseome, but pricey. You can also deal with it with a longer fork or a lower rise fork, the Thomson 0 degree X4 is a nice choice, but not everyon wants like the front lowered that way.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    I use to have the wondering front issue.

Here are some of the things I changed that helped me to get rid of it:

Stiffer fork, I got a Lyrik 20mm axle 545 AC instead of my Marzocchi AM SL QR 538 AC
    Wider Bar, I got a 28 inch bar and feel really nice, I can breath better too.
    A little longer stem, 100mm 5 degrees instead of 90mm 5 degrees.

The biggest difference was noticed with the change of fork of course. It suppose to have higher AC but felt lower, the number I have could be wrong. With 20mm axle and new custom built wheel my EVO is really point and shoot...even up hill. No floppy feeling like when I had the Marzhocchi AM SL 05.

The wider bar also made considerable amount of difference too.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by duke777; 04-02-2007 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    I think the wandering front end issue is going to vary from person to person. I run a 2006 All Mountain 1 on my Evo and I rarely drop my fork. I just lean forward a bit and the front end stays planted.

I've heard of people dropping their forks or their Evos climbing up San Juan or some of the other local trails here. I actually like the way it rolls over stuff with the fork fully extended when climbing up over the technical stuff.

Maybe I run my handlebar lower than others? *shrug* For what it's worth, I run a 90mm stem with 6 degree rise with a 1" riser. I have about 5mm of spacers between the headset and stem. Or maybe my saddle is a little more forward. My saddle is set at the 0 position on a Thomson seatpost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'm putting the Fox 36 Talas on there

but I'm unsure of how slack the headangle really is going to be. My current bike is measured out and pretty much dialed in, just a bit of wandering, but I love the feel. What are the headangle #'s for the "old style" geometry? Getting parts in this week, so I'm trying to guage how to build her up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Never mind!

I just compared...my El Terremoto has a 67 deg HA, and the Evo has a 68.5. I'm putting too much thought into it...I'll just build it, ride it, and shut up.

Members who have read this thread: 0