EVO chain line issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

EVO chain line issues

I'm having some issues getting my chainline right on my EVO. I am using a m750 e-type front der. and Race Face Atlas cranks with a triple ring set up. With no spacers, (just the der) the small ring hits the lower pivot bolt and will not spin. With one spacer it clears the pivot bolt but rubs on the der. mounting plate. I can get it to work with two spacers but my chain line is way off. I'm stumped. I've taken it to a shop and they had no more luck than I did. Could it be the cranks? I have an old set of LX cranks I could try if I can get an e-type specific octalink bottom bracket. I'd rather not spend the money on something I'm not sure will even work. Going to a 1x9 set up is something I'd rather not do.

If anyone has any suggestions I can use all the help I can get. I'm gonna give the guys at Chumba a call but with my work schedule I won't have the time until friday so I figured somebody here might have some ideas to try first. Thanks
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams, I'm just gonna find out where they're going and hook up with them later!

mtbr member
    Is this the same EVO you built up in October?

It really does sound like it could be your cranks. Can you compare the chainring bolts on your Race Face Atlas crankset against the bolts on your LX set? Perhaps the LX ones are a little more low profile and you can just swap them out?

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with the Shimano external bottom bracket cranks (with no spacers). With FSA cranks, usually 1 thin spacer is needed to help the chainring bolts clear.

mtbr member

Same one

Yes it's the same one. I have been running two spacers for a while but it makes for a screwy chain line. I have just about worn out a SRAM 990 cassette since I built it in Oct. I'll try changing to my old LX cranks with a e-type specific octalink BB. If that doesn't work I guess I'm gonna have to pony up the cash for some new XT's. Thanks dubjay for the info.
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams, I'm just gonna find out where they're going and hook up with them later!

mtbr member
    Just a heads up.

I just installed a 08 Truvativ 2.2 AM GXP on my EVO, didnt use any spacers, and still have a nice chunk of room left between the bottom gear and chain & etype mount bolts. Chainline looks straight as hell compared to the combo below I had.

I had a MRP Bones DH crankset on there before and I had to run 2 spacers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Evo = 33.28lbs.

I believe that I will be able to get the chainline ok on my Evo but there is no way the front derailure will be lined up just above the bash guard on my SLX crankset. I am not sure if this will be an issue or not.

You mentioned that you are using a Raceface Atlas crankset. I have one that I never was able to get set up correctly. It would always loosen up and finally the X-Type bolt stripped out because I could not get it out. I had to drill it out damaging the threads. Each time I installed the crankset it was installed exactly as the directions stated and proper torque settings were used. I contacted Raceface multiple time by email to both their customer service and tech support and never got a reply back. Never again will I buy any Raceface cranks. I spent close to $300 including tax for those cranks a couple of years ago. They only got a couple months of problematic use and have been collecting dust ever since. I hope you have better luck than I did. I remember at the time, there were lots of people on mtbr that were having similar issues.

Don't pay any attention to my header as I orginally posted to the wrong thread. I edited my comments but the header can't be changed.
    Last edited by 67degrees; 03-26-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0