The Epitome of Cool..................................- Mtbr.com
    "Its All Good"

The Epitome of Cool..................................

This is honestly the all time coolest frame ever built.................. A true piece of functional art, in the true sense of the word........................

Gives me goose bumps like when you are 1 min 45 Seconds into Shine On You Crazy Diamond.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqgjCKm9nQ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

thats right living legend
    Whafe! I'm sorry to come down on the wrong side of one of my BEST buds twice in one week but, YUCK!!!

I never could stand those. Looks like a bike with a respirator.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Each to their own,everybody sees things differently and i do so being honest i would say it looks like a womans shopping bike.No offense!!

"Its All Good"
    Its alll good, I take no offense, we all have different taste in all things, would suck the big one if we all liked the same thing /s......................

BA, all good bro, your heart is alwasy in the right place......
    Last edited by Whafe; 09-19-2007 at 05:49 AM.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2006

Sick All Day Long......

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Its alll good, I take no offense, we all have different taste in all things, would suck the big one if we all liked the same thing /s......................

BA, all good bro, your heart is alwasy in the right place......
    I Would ride sh!t rapped in Ti, let along this insane(and for sure different) master piece that's just begging for a build kit.BTW what be the just of the build kit?Fork,cranks,drivetrain,? Whafe,more scary proof that we are on the same wave link. CF...

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I Would ride sh!t rapped in Ti, let along this insane(and for sure different) master piece that's just begging for a build kit.BTW what be the just of the build kit?Fork,cranks,drivetrain,? Whafe,more scary proof that we are on the same wave link. CF...

Scary indeed.

Looks like it comes with it's own fork, and such,

mtbr member
    May 2006

OOHHHH,I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Scary indeed.

Looks like it comes with it's own fork, and such,
    OK so we know what fork ,bars,seatpost. THANKS BLACK CF..

mtbr member

Jonesy's are cool

Are you getting one :-)

PS did the Taupo DayNighter in weekend.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Jeff Jones has some interesting ideas, no doubt... Whafe, a good friend of mine is Fred Cuthbert of Wolfhound Cycles. Him and Jeff ride together a lot, and Fred's 29-er designs mimic some of Jeff's. Fred does fillet brazed steel frames, completely custom to the owners wishes...

http://www.wolfhoundcycles.com/

Check him out! I live within 10 minutes of both these guys and own one of Fred's earlier frames. (He is actually the one who came up with "Uncle Cliffy"

In FTF We Trust
    If there was ever a bike that could ever convince me to lay out $10k on it; that'd be the one.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

"Its All Good"
    Yep indeed BA, it is a scarily cool masterpiece of art. A frame to die for..........

CF - Yep, same wave length for sure. Somep people bro struggle to see perfection the way in which we do.

Strong Ti - No go for me with the Taupo Day / Nighter. In Spain at present, will be doing it the first year I am back though for sure.

Uncle Cliffy - Have spent considerable time looking at the Wolfhound stuff, very cool also. Sweet that the 2 builders hang together though.... A couple of artistic minds for sure..

el-cid - Never a truer word spoken. It is odd when one see's something as a piece of beautiful functional art, as I do of course and some would think Yuk. Glad us humans are all different........

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Meh I'll take a Retrotec instead.

But still a cool looking bike.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Meh I'll take a Retrotec instead.

But still a cool looking bike.
    Very true, have studied up on the Retrotec frames, very cool.....

For me though it would be a Jones by a long shot.....

Jeff Jones to speak with about frames etc, leaves me bewildered, a true awesome dude!

rmb
    mtbr member
    So so amazing, and I would love to have one.

GAME ON!
    the frame i can deal with, but that fork is the most hideous monstrosity i've ever seen.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    the frame i can deal with, but that fork is the most hideous monstrosity i've ever seen.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........

Try and look at it from a form and function viewpoint, you will then look at it in a different way..... All good though, you may never like it..............

GAME ON!
    a compromise:

RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    a compromise:[/IMG]
    Maka me laugh.... Indeed... Meeting half way.......

"Its All Good"
    Some more coolness form the Jeff Jones stable of all things cool....

Modified SS cranks, made from XTR cranks......

mmmmmmmmm Yummy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "It's gotta be about Jones bikes". Such beauty.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by croscoe
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "It's gotta be about Jones bikes". Such beauty.
    Man after my own heart.................. I sit and stare in awe............

YUMMY YUMMY functional piece of art

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I must admit to prefering something like the Chinese Phoenix or the Indian Hero bikes myself. Sure, they're matte black, built like tanks and single speed, but they're industrial-cool, ultimately functional and have absolutely no pretense about them. The Jones stuff just screams 'look at me' a little too loudly, and it's so expensive... but maybe that's an integral part of art...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    I must admit to prefering something like the Chinese Phoenix or the Indian Hero bikes myself. Sure, they're matte black, built like tanks and single speed, but they're industrial-cool, ultimately functional and have absolutely no pretense about them. The Jones stuff just screams 'look at me' a little too loudly, and it's so expensive... but maybe that's an integral part of art...
    I hear you.... Many will disagree etc, but not one part of me wants a Jones for attention. I have watched these for many many years. Sure they are different, but I love the fact that the difference si not just for looks, but for function......

The cost side is pure supply and demand at work............

Well I am treating myself, this is a bike that will be kept forever...................

Industrial cool is awesome to though, hence my love of Nicolai's, they are the epitome of industrial cool also

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I haven't followed this thread closely... so you're actually getting one of these bikes? Congratulations then, and please do a big write-up on what it's like to ride!

Me- I'm a little easier to please and will buy a Phoneix before I leave Asia

SuperInstigator
    Ahhhh, and all along I was under the impression that I was the epitome of cool. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

tibug likey.

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

"Its All Good"
    Mwah ha ha ha ha.........................................Go Mr Jones......

Ti is addictive
    Mwah ha ha ha ha.........................................Go Mr Jones......
    Post Modern expressionis comes to the bicycle world.........

Please don't tell me you are opening up a trendy coffee shop in Barcelona and that would be your hanging showpiece
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo

Post Modern expressionis comes to the bicycle world.........

Please don't tell me you are opening up a trendy coffee shop in Barcelona and that would be your hanging showpiece
    No way bro, this puppy will be destined for New Zealand. Time is nearly up in Barcelona, contract finishes at the end of December. Am booked to go back for Christmas, will probly come back in January to tidy a few things up.... Need to go back to NZ to be with my daughter Mia. Been a hard year not being with her, she 14 months now, miss her like crazy.....

Back to my Headless Horseman biking buddies..... Yeah Ha

Ti is addictive
    No way bro, this puppy will be destined for New Zealand. Time is nearly up in Barcelona, contract finishes at the end of December. Am booked to go back for Christmas, will probly come back in January to tidy a few things up.... Need to go back to NZ to be with my daughter Mia. Been a hard year not being with her, she 14 months now, miss her like crazy.....

Back to my Headless Horseman biking buddies..... Yeah Ha

Good to hear, she'll be almost 18 months at that time, and won't be as clingy for mom at that time(best time for Dad's to bond and they get us wrapped around their little fingers ). My daughter just turned 5 and started piano (gave up the Ti EG to buy her a piano instead )
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Good to hear, she'll be almost 18 months at that time, and won't be as clingy for mom at that time(best time for Dad's to bond and they get us wrapped around their little fingers ). My daughter just turned 5 and started piano (gave up the Ti EG to buy her a piano instead )
    Cool to hear re the piano............

Yep certainly been a learning year for me, in regards to learning not to having Mia around.... Get to see her on Skype couple times per week..... But like you say, Mia will be 18 months, not missing anymore.... Good though, my dad says Mia is crazy like me. Mia will be a mountain biker chick.....

Be well.........

mtbr member
    I went to Jeff's home to pick up some of his bars for the Humboldt 12 hour race coming from Mt Bike Oregon. I was there for at least 2 hours . I can say Jeff has passion for his bikes and I listened to his beliefs and reasons for why he creates this art in his frames. Jeff know his stuff.
    Jeff let me take his bike for a spin in the mountains . I couldn't believe the difference in the soft but stiff ride compliant up and down was unreal stiffness lateral was great . The front fork has no front and back wards flex but almost feels like a shock up and down. I ride a very nice Sir Niner . I was shocked at the difference between the two bike. I will have a Jeff Jones bike soon. I think its the ultimate in SS rigid rides.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59
    I went to Jeff's home to pick up some of his bars for the Humboldt 12 hour race coming from Mt Bike Oregon. I was there for at least 2 hours . I can say Jeff has passion for his bikes and I listened to his beliefs and reasons for why he creates this art in his frames. Jeff know his stuff.
    Jeff let me take his bike for a spin in the mountains . I couldn't believe the difference in the soft but stiff ride compliant up and down was unreal stiffness lateral was great . The front fork has no front and back wards flex but almost feels like a shock up and down. I ride a very nice Sir Niner . I was shocked at the difference between the two bike. I will have a Jeff Jones bike soon. I think its the ultimate in SS rigid rides.
    Awesome feed back Mark, great to hear.. My discussions on the phone with Jeff have been awesome, he oozes passion for riding and bikes. I do hope that I may be able to travel to Jeff to pick up my bike when it is completed..................

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Never been much of a Shine on you crazy diamond fan, but love the Jones. Looks like you and me will be enjoying the experience around the same time.

3 months just isn't enough time to choose the build though.
    Last edited by martin_uk; 10-05-2007 at 01:16 PM.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk
    Never been much of a Shine on you crazy diamond fan, but love the Jones. Looks like you and me will be enjoying the experience around the same time.

3 months just isn't enough time to choose the build though.
    Thats sad you are not a Shine on you crazy diamond fan.....But indeed cool you are a Jones fan....

I have my build fully sorted, have dreamt and breathed it for months....... Only a slight decision to be made on hub colour.....................

Are you going for a SS or geared?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thats sad you are not a Shine on you crazy diamond fan.....But indeed cool you are a Jones fan....

I have my build fully sorted, have dreamt and breathed it for months....... Only a slight decision to be made on hub colour.....................

Are you going for a SS or geared?
    Pure unadulterated single speed. You?

It's always colour thats the hard problem even when the only colour choice is the wheels. Minimilist Black or Silver vs a loud red or orange/mango. Aquaholic's mango hubs always looked good but so do red I9's with silver spokes (my current favourite).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Blue Phil Woods! (That's my choice anyway)

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk
    Pure unadulterated single speed. You?

It's always colour thats the hard problem even when the only colour choice is the wheels. Minimilist Black or Silver vs a loud red or orange/mango. Aquaholic's mango hubs always looked good but so do red I9's with silver spokes (my current favourite).
    Same for me, pure SS, no cable guides or anything...

Yes colour is a hard one... I have red I9 wheels on my Ti MotoLite.....

I want just the only colour to be the hubs.....The mango does look good, I may still yet just go pewter silver......mmmmmmmmmm tough one, have had blue CK hubs, red I9's...... Thinking on that one still......

mtbr member

Colour is always a difficult choice

I solved my problem with going either black, silver, white or Ti grey with my current bike but thinking about a fully build and colours is definately the hardest part.

CK Pewter is pretty cool, looks kinda purple in some light....

That modified XTR/Jones SS crank looks cool, is that a Boone Ti ring on there, if you're after a Boone ring, you better get your order in, his wait times are looooong, about 3 months for my 2 x 9, 29 and 42T rings.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Ti
    I solved my problem with going either black, silver, white or Ti grey with my current bike but thinking about a fully build and colours is definately the hardest part.

CK Pewter is pretty cool, looks kinda purple in some light....

That modified XTR/Jones SS crank looks cool, is that a Boone Ti ring on there, if you're after a Boone ring, you better get your order in, his wait times are looooong, about 3 months for my 2 x 9, 29 and 42T rings.
    Yeah, the pewter does look the monty.... That is the Boone Ti Ring in there, that part is sorted... Jeff is a master at being sorted I have figured....
    Last edited by Whafe; 10-27-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0