Embryonic stage of my Carl Strong Ti 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Smile Embryonic stage of my Carl Strong Ti 29er

My first custom bike is nearing reality.

Until its in my grimmy paws it'll be just more of dreaming of the final build and the years of fun it will provide......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    Jasus! A 29er with a headtube that big? You must be a gigantor!
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

You know what they say about guys with long HTs?

Warwick, well this is my first custom bike and I provided Carl with every necessary dimension. I checked the numbers more times than I can care to admit - as this was gonna be "my" build...Yes I am tall and I like about a 3cm vert drop from top of saddle to center of grip.

With a 0degree stem and a flat bar - I should have a minor stack height [IF I opt for a riser bar for asthetics the stack height will vanish]....When shes together I'll be sure and post some picks.

Attched is my existing steed......the seat position stay the same [of course] but the steeper SA on the Strong will center it better. The existing HT is 10.5cm....The photo shows a 0 degree [120mm] stem which has since been replaced with a 10degree 120mm. The existing bars have a 40mm rise....I was worried that a 15cm HT would still be too short - but alas it will be fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, your Fisher is clearly too small for you. If you're running a 0 stem and flat bars, then a long head tube will work great on your new steed. I'm actually doing the same thing on my next bike because having the stem on the same angle as the top tube looks hawt.

It's cool that companies have started making flat bars with decent width and sweep.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ww,

Thats a XL Fisher tah boot. The CS will have a bit longer of a TT plus a steeper HA - if my projections are right these changes may get me to a 100 or 110mm stem - but I am more than comfy with my 120stem should the bigger cockpit be to my liking.

I'm with you - 0 deg stem with flat bars provides the cleanest look not to mention swing path of the bars is right on with the zero stem rise....and as a side flat bars tend to be lighter - NOT that I'm a w.w......Riser bars don't look bad it - just provided me with a reasonable position.

Yeah - bar choice will be tough...but fun.....I like the 660mm width but I have not mastered squeezing them through some of the local tight stuff. I may forgo some of the added stability and leverage for something more on the range of 610mm.

For what its worth - if we ever move D.U. I'll be looking to you for a steel frame - good luck with Thylacine. I enjoy your passion.

Members who have read this thread: 0