Dual Controls on an XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dual Controls on an XCL

Is anyone running Shimano Dual Controls on their XCL? Since I have to use the Shimano E-Type FD, and was going to use the new Shadow, I thought the Dual Controls would be good to use. Any experiences good or bad?
    I was planning on running XT 8"and 6" rotors.

nerfherder
    Are you more of an aggressive trail rider or more of a zen mellow rider? If you're the former I'd shy away from Dual Control. Brake levers that move in two directions while flying downhill is not really preferable for me. If I were just riding buff singletrack all day then I may be able to deal with it. Plus I like the brakes and levers separate for more adjustability in positioning. Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you get and how it goes.

mtbr member
    I just heard that the Shimano brakes are great, and with all the other Shimano stuff on it, seemed like a good idea. I understand your logic re: gripping a shifter/brake lever that moves in a sketchy situation. They might not be a good idea for me.

nerfherder
    And you can get the Shimano XT breaks with individual levers/shifters. They look pretty sharp.

https://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...ano_deore.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    And you can get the Shimano XT breaks with individual levers/shifters. They look pretty sharp.

https://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...ano_deore.html
    Nice work ScruffyLooking! Maybe I will reconsider the Shimano, but after reading your post and others, it looks like I should go with the SRAM RD. For brakes, I can run what I have now, and just upgrade to a larger front rotor. Some people don't like the Hayes brakes, but they've always worked for me.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Dual control + shadow may not be optimum

Looks like you made up your mind, but here is a little more info. Shadow rear D. is low normal only, there is no rapid rise version. Dual control really only makes sense with top normal or rapid rise, so that you are pulling cable by pushing down on the lever and releasing cable by poping the lever up with the top of your hand.

If you put any low normal (non-rapid rise) derailleur with dual control, you will use the top of your hand to pull the lever up against the rear derailleur spring, it is wierd and defeats the whole dual control design. Specialized spec'ed their dual control with that way for a while, it left a lot of people with a bad taste for dual control.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Apr 2007

The Dual Control shifter /Brakes are Nice for XC.

I have a friend who is building a nice XCL with the XTR Dual controls and I think it is going to work nice. I personally am not a fan of having movement in the brake levers while the bike teeters under me through tough sections. I feel it will trash through the gears and cause problems. Then again I am not as big into XC as my friend so it might work just fine for him.
    I tried it on his Mantis pro floater and I liked it a lot. It was flawless and way light.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    Is anyone running Shimano Dual Controls on their XCL? Since I have to use the Shimano E-Type FD, and was going to use the new Shadow, I thought the Dual Controls would be good to use. Any experiences good or bad?
    I was planning on running XT 8"and 6" rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Looks like you made up your mind, but here is a little more info. Shadow rear D. is low normal only, there is no rapid rise version. Dual control really only makes sense with top normal or rapid rise, so that you are pulling cable by pushing down on the lever and releasing cable by poping the lever up with the top of your hand.

If you put any low normal (non-rapid rise) derailleur with dual control, you will use the top of your hand to pull the lever up against the rear derailleur spring, it is wierd and defeats the whole dual control design. Specialized spec'ed their dual control with that way for a while, it left a lot of people with a bad taste for dual control.
    Wow, that would annoy me. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going with SRAM on this one. I've always used Shimano before, but since this is my first custom bike, might as well spec everything out seperately, and really get this working perfectly.

No big difference between XO and X9 right other than looks?

nerfherder
    XO is lighter and has a noticebly better feel... but not by much and certainly not equal to the price difference. X9 is the value winner. 90% of the performance for significantly less money. That said, the new Shimano XT with triggers and the Shadow rear mech is very promising.

Members who have read this thread: 0