drilling out cable guides- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jesterspaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    65

    drilling out cable guides

    I just bought a new Evo on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. The frame had never been built up, he said he was selling it because it was the wrong color. I started to build it up last night and when I got to the der. cables I noticed that the back cable guide (closest to the seat tube) was welded on backwards! I talked to Jason at Chumba and he said the frame may be a prototype frame. I contacted the seller and he checked over his papers and found nothing about it being a prototype frame. Chumba offered to replace the frame for $400 or said I could drill out the cable stops and run full length housing. I'm not a big fan of taking a drill to a brand new frame but I may not have a choice. I am not the original owner so I don't think the warranty is still good.

    Anyway, to make a long story even longer I was wondering if anybody might have some tips on the best way to drill out the stops. Like I said, I don't want to drill but staring at that awesome frame just hanging on the wall is just as bad. Any help I can get would be greatly appriciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    208
    Let's get that problem worked out.
    If we have a frame to exchange for that one we might be able to to solve that problem.
    Call me on Mon.
    Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

    Jason
    Last edited by RacinJason; 10-13-2007 at 01:23 AM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,061
    See http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130062.

    Nate has done a great job with all of his how-to posts.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    208
    That guy read my thoughts exactly. He did it just like I do it. He even uses the same tool to drill it. You can use a dremel attachment also.
    The only reason the frame companies don't have them drilled out to start is because they think it is saving them weight.
    My F4 has a full housing and I have run it like that on many of my other bikes.
    Our prototypes don't even have cable guides at all many times.
    Got the Nsmb review on the Interbike 08 F5. That was a prototype and it has no cable guides.at all. Here is the link http://www.nsmb.com/gear/dirtdemo07_3.php
    You will love your EVO for sure when you are done.

    Just one more tip if you want to try something cool you might want to try running your cables down your down tube and along your rocker that is a trick set up also .
    It will allow less cable bind. I have done it like that. I like it a lot.

    I hope I have helped you .


    Jason

  5. #5
    Derailleurless
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,122
    Thanks for the mention, Kev. (Damn, that post is 2 years old already!)

    Jason mentioned it, and I can't stress it enough: the importance of masking your frame!

    These cutting bits work well enough, but they're not designed specifically to drill a new hole. This makes them prone to skipping, given the chance, and at 15,000 RPM they'll quickly do a number on your finish.

    I've considered trimming a frame mask out of an aluminum can, to lay around the cable stop, underneath the tape.

    <img src="https://www.booboodog.net/images/cable-stops3.jpg" width="400">
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    208

    Let me know how it turns out and if you need anythinng.



    Quote Originally Posted by jesterspaw
    I just bought a new Evo on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. The frame had never been built up, he said he was selling it because it was the wrong color. I started to build it up last night and when I got to the der. cables I noticed that the back cable guide (closest to the seat tube) was welded on backwards! I talked to Jason at Chumba and he said the frame may be a prototype frame. I contacted the seller and he checked over his papers and found nothing about it being a prototype frame. Chumba offered to replace the frame for $400 or said I could drill out the cable stops and run full length housing. I'm not a big fan of taking a drill to a brand new frame but I may not have a choice. I am not the original owner so I don't think the warranty is still good.

    Anyway, to make a long story even longer I was wondering if anybody might have some tips on the best way to drill out the stops. Like I said, I don't want to drill but staring at that awesome frame just hanging on the wall is just as bad. Any help I can get would be greatly appriciated.
    Last edited by RacinJason; 10-13-2007 at 01:19 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jesterspaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    65
    Thanks for all the info. It doesn't look too difficult as long as I'm careful. I was thinking about trying a set of the hydraulic hose guide adapters from Problemsolvers as a quick fix until I can pick up the equipment needed to do it.

  8. #8
    Derailleurless
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,122
    If you just need a temp solution until you can break out a Dremel, I wouldn't bother with the Problem Solvers adapters. Just grab a handful of zip ties, and you'll be done in 60 seconds.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  9. #9
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    do the chumba's not come with full cable guides? i didn't know this if it's true....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    208
    All Chumbas come with guides. If you want to run full housing you need to drill.
    Or just temp mount the cables.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scottandhisdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    251
    I love my XCL, but I wished it would have allowed me to run full length housing from the start. If people are worried about the extra weight of the housing, they shouldn't be buying a Chumba, nor should they be eating on a daily basis, because that may add weight.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jesterspaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    65
    My issue was never with the weight of the bike. The weight added by using full length housing is almost nothing. I agree, if that little bit of weight bothers you Chumba may not be the right bike for you. My problem is that I HAVE to modify a new frame because the back cable guide on the top tube was welded on backwards. My only other options are to use zip ties, after market cable guides or replace the front section (which I dont have the money for after building the bike). I found a local shop in Scottsdale Az that is ordering a set for me. Until then I'm using the zip tie method.

  13. #13
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    All Chumbas come with guides. If you want to run full housing you need to drill.
    Or just temp mount the cables.

    boo-urns Chumba, i don't ride with a single person using split housing.

    not a deal breaker....but boo-urns.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34

    weight???

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    I love my XCL, but I wished it would have allowed me to run full length housing from the start. If people are worried about the extra weight of the housing, they shouldn't be buying a Chumba, nor should they be eating on a daily basis, because that may add weight.
    so you only eat a couple days a week? if you"re not worried about weight you'd be on an EVO not the XCL. my sister also loves her XCL...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.