DHX Air vs RP23- Mtbr.com

Thread: DHX Air vs RP23

mtbr member

DHX Air vs RP23

So I hope to be ordering a XCL soon, and am looking for input re: which shock works better with this suspension design. A friend of mine recently ordered one with the RP23 and he loves it, but it won't fit me, so I haven't riden it. Chumba specs it with the DHX Air, but I hear that it is difficult to tune, and it "blows through it's mid travel".

For stats, I am 6'2" and 195 without my pack, etc. Usually, I ride mainly rocky, rooty, twisty, and steep singletrack. I haven't been throwing myself off anything, because my current bike is a friggen creaky noddle.

Jul 2007
    The dhx is a bit of a pain to set up but once done i think it's the better of the two, on my commencal anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trophy Husband
    Yes, the DHX air is a PITA to tune correctly, but once it is tuned it feels great. You weigh less than 200 pounds, which is good. People over 200 pounds really have a difficult time using the DHXair.

The issue with "blowing through" travel is not as bad with the XCL spec'd shock as it uses the "small" can. The small can reduces the air volume and the "dreaded" mid-stroke wallow. Honestly, I like the wallow...it feels plusher.

I've never used the RP23, but no doubt it is much easier to setup.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've had my XCL for about 2 months and I love it. It came with the DHX air but I justed ordered a PUSH RP23. I like the DHX air, very plush and it wasn't really that hard to setup. But I like the propedal switch on the RP23, plus it will drop the weight of the bike down to 27.5 lbs.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mad4mtnbike
    I've had my XCL for about 2 months and I love it. It came with the DHX air but I justed ordered a PUSH RP23. I like the DHX air, very plush and it wasn't really that hard to setup. But I like the propedal switch on the RP23, plus it will drop the weight of the bike down to 27.5 lbs.

Mark
    Are you switching out because of the weight? I thought that the DHX Air has propedal too. I wonder if anyone is running the RP23 on the EVO, and how that might effect the handling.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The DHX air has propedal but its a knob not a lever. Not something that's easy to turn on the fly. The PUSH version of the RP23 makes the propedal even better, the reduction in weight is just a bonus.

Mark

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    The '08 DHX Air 5.0 has a ProPedal lever. The knob is history.

mtbr member
    I have been running a RockShox MC 3.1 and it's "propedal" / compression has a lever with a knob (floodgate) that regulates the amount of force to open that circuit. Usually, I set and forget, unless I want to open it up, then you flick the lever and byby. All the different shock companies have different ways of achieving the same features, and it's interesting to see how they come up with their version. Does the shock really improve the bikes performance vs a similar shock of another brand? Don't know, but I wish MTBR did a review on the same bike with different shocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah the dhx does blow through its mid travel on the xcl. It's not too bad but noticeable.I'm wondering about the rp23

shred my gnar
    for whatever its worth, im 6'1" 210# and dont even use the propedal on my dhx. i open it all the way up and climb away. doesnt bob much at all. the mid stroke issue hasnt been a problem for me yet either...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The RP23 is probably much less of a pain to set up than the DHX-a. A shocks damping charasteristics are adjustable only up to a certain point. After this, contact Push or TF-tuned.. But the DHX is definetly one of the more adjustable shocks on the market. It will probably grow you a few gray hairs to get the damping spot on, but IMO it should be possible. It really depends on how picky you are about your ride. Some value simplicity while some value adjustability. A two bladed sword kind of thing even..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Switched my XCL from the stock DHX Air to a PUSHed RP23 last week and so far I'm very very pleased. I've ridden RP23s before and the PUSHed version has some clear differences. The difference between PP off and PP on is much more obvious. With PP on there is absolutely no bob at all (seated or standing), yet small bump compliance seems improved. Shock was simple to set up, set the sag and rebound and your ready to go. The XCL travel is much more progessive yet seems more plush, maybe it's just my imagination but that's how it feels. Definitely doesn't blow through the travel as quickly. Please keep in mind that I use my XCL as a long travel XC bike with some AM stuff mixed in. My XCL now weights in at 27.45lbs! The DHX air may be a better fit for someone doing more AM/DH. Anyway, I have a 2007 DHX Air with low miles for sale if anyone wants it.

Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0