Deraileur hanger ???- Mtbr.com
    locked - time out

Deraileur hanger ???

So finally got a chance to take an Evo on a REAL ride yesterday. Got my pedals screwed on. Adjusted the seat. Pedaled the bike around the parking lot for a quick how do you do before hitting the trail. Then off we went.
    Trail decends right off the bat. About a minute into the decent the rear seems to be making quite a bit of racket. Not being too familiar w/ the Evo I dismiss it and continue down. Not long after, as I'm pedaling the rear is now "ghost shifting" ARGHHH. It seems to strighten for a moment when "BING" "CLUNK". The rear derailuer is tangled up with the chain.
    After riggin up the bike so that I can hike out and wait for my friends who I want to go finish the trail I look at the hanger. Seems to be a bit skinny at the point where it broke.

Anyway. I'm still looking forward to getting the Evo out Again. I'm sure the deraileur hanger breakage was just a fluke but still wanted to ask if any of you have had this happen.

mtbr member
    I've broken a few - but usually after hitting something with my derailleur.

Did you hit anything or did it just rip off? Is chain length ok?

I heard there are stronger hangers now available - but I haven't had a chance to try them out - I've been running a Saint for a few months now.

locked - time out
    It was a Demo. Chain could have been long. It ended up breaking and perhaps got caught in the deraileur, hence ripping it off. Or it was already damaged and ready to bust @ any moment. Hard to say.
    Things did seem to be a bit noisy right from the get go.

Are the new hangers thicker. The one that I saw go was crazy skinny. My ellsworth and wifes yeti are at least twice as thick.

bbc
    Bueno!

That sucks

Sorry about the hanger blowin up on you. We just got the new hangers in. We'll put one on the evo and you can give it a try again. They are a lot stronger looking than the old ones.

Apr 2007
    The new hangers are much stronger. I have been beating them up for a while and I have not had one break off.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    Sorry about the hanger blowin up on you. We just got the new hangers in. We'll put one on the evo and you can give it a try again. They are a lot stronger looking than the old ones.

Cool.

Heading out to CB for the week. Then a week of hell @ work. Then off again to Yellowstone for a week. I'll get in touch with you after that. Looking forward to getting another shot @ the EVO. Carey really liked the Laguna Blue. Have to admit it grew on me a little also. Have a good one BBC.

Thanks

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    The new hangers are much stronger. I have been beating them up for a while and I have not had one break off.

Good to hear.

shred my gnar
    i bent/hairline cracked one friday... completely sheared off the ol carbon xo cage as well.

sram wouldnt step-up... even when i asked why they changed the cage on the '08 model to aluminum & carbon vs the all carbon '07 model.

chumba stepped-up though with a replacement x9! btw, i believe the old hangers were 6061 vs the new ones being 7071 + thicker (not sure on thes #s)

before you ask... the reason i think this should be on sram (at least for the most part) is that the cage got ripped off while shifting to the large cog while on the middle ring. not big ring to big cog... i love climbing in middle ring to big cog and thats what it broke shifting into... seemed like a really weak cage, imo.

chumba covers the big boys at sram on this one...

Apr 2007
    Hey hows it going ? We have matching bikes. Im glad you have everything working again. Is that fletch on you picture?
    I think I need some 30 Wt ball bearing and some gauze pads. Everything is ball bearings these days. Dr rosenbrosen was looking for you today.

Members who have read this thread: 0