mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Dean thread

Hello all!
    Where are all the dean rider?

I'll start with mine....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hi, what is that, a Colonel or a Scout ? What forks are you using ? Will post pics of mine later !

mtbr member
    I ordered a Colonel 29er with an EBB in early January. From what I read around here, I've got a wait in front of me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 20_bandh
    Hi, what is that, a Colonel or a Scout ? What forks are you using ? Will post pics of mine later !
    It's a 04 scout with a Marz MX comp ETA.

mtbr member
    Hi, my DEAN took 8 weeks to arrive, much longer than what DEAN quoted me. I was a bit pissed because I was without a bike for such a long time. Some people get their frames as promised others have to wait an eternity. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who will get their frame on time.
    Last edited by 20_bandh; 02-03-2005 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi, my DEAN took 10 or so weeks to arrive, much longer than what DEAN quoted me. I was a bit pissed because I was without a bike for such a long time. Some people get their frames as promised others have to wait an eternity. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who will get their frame on time.

Isn't that bizarre? I've read about the two divergent experiences. I guess it all depends on the workload they are experiencing at the time you place your order. I spoke with James the other day to iron out some details (gonna run my Rohloff on this bike), and after I expressed a little concern about the delivery time, he re-assured me that 6 weeks was a realistic time frame right now. I took that with a grain of salt, but if it were true, I'd only be a couple weeks out now from getting something from the big brown toy truck... I won't start holding my breath for another six weeks. Serenity now!

contains quinine
    <a href="http://www.redstonecyclery.com/RCcustomerpage.htm">Redstone</a> has some pictures of the Deans he's sold.
    Last edited by Debaser; 02-02-2005 at 01:31 PM.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Hi, I was told that 4-6 weeks would a reasonable time too. The bike (X-LITE custom 18") was well worth the wait, the welds are spot on and it really does weigh the claimed 2.7 lbs . I have built the bike up to be light but not silly "unfunctional" light.

mtbr member

Ressurected Jester

I just finished converting her yesterday... Maiden ride today...

I'm how far behind?

DEAN Ace

Here is my new Ace.
    XT build
    Fox F100X
    Mavic CrossMax Enduro
    Thompson and King in all the right places
    Jones H-bars with Oury grips

I've set this up for endurance racing. My wait was just slightly over 6 weeks.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Hello, very nice !! tell me please, what are the ride characteristics like ? How does it compare to other fullys that you have ridden ? Is it an X-Lite or a standard Ace ? I considered getting one myself but didnīt think that iīd make the transition from a hardtail to fully rider.
    I am really happy with my DEAN, the welds are A1 and the frame quality was spot on, and most importantly, it rides really well. I have compared the welds and finish to my friends MOOTS, and as a layperson, canīt see the difference in quality. I do however think that a metal head badge would improve the frames overall finish.

I'm how far behind?
    I've logged many a mile on a Specialized FSRXC and a Santa Cruz Blur. This bike beats them both, hands down. The FSR was nice, I loved the blur going down hill. The Ace is very light and lively feeling. My blur definately did not have a lively feel to it. The Ace with the F100X and RP3 is awsome. It feels like a hard tail when you want a hard tail but becomes buttery smooth when things get rough. I can't wait to get this thing out in a race situation. The front shock was easy to set up, I just put in the same amount of air that I used in my RLC, the rear is taking more playing around, I'm not using the full travel in the back yet, but I'll get that dialed in soon enough.

I have the Ace not the xlite, when I'm at my race weight of 175 I still think I'm a little heavy for anything labeled xlite. I would recommed using a fork with a inertia valve of somesort to match the RP3. Hope this helped you, If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

jim
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Hi Jim, I thought that the x-lite was lighter but as "strong" as the standard model. I donīt know much about the mechanics of titanium tube manufacture but I was of the belief that radially butting a titanium tube means that the walls can be made thinner, hence making the frame lighter.
    I weigh about the same as you (between 165 and 180lbs depending on how close to christmas it is) and in the very short time that I have had the frame have experienced no problems whatsoever and hope that I never do !

I'm how far behind?
    It would have been a couple hundred more to go with the lite version and that meant one less race this season. I thought about it, but I spent the money on Jones h-bars instead (the only thing I paid retail for and they were well worth it). I've destroyed two pairs of easton carbon bars and an easton seat post, so I'm not to excited about anything carbon on my bikes. I realize that this is basically a carbon fiber sticker of sorts wrapped around the ti tubing, but I'll probably do something stupid and scratch through to the fibers on that too.

Jim
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member

sweet bike!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I just finished converting her yesterday... Maiden ride today...
    i love the old skool jesters. wish i could find one.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Carbon fibre stickers ??? The x-lite doesnt have carbon stickers, well at least mine doesnīt.

Jan 2004
    Here's an old pic of my 29"

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianPersuasion
    What size frame is that?
    23" I'm 6'4"

Fashionably functional...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    I've logged many a mile on a Specialized FSRXC and a Santa Cruz Blur. This bike beats them both, hands down. The FSR was nice, I loved the blur going down hill. The Ace is very light and lively feeling. My blur definately did not have a lively feel to it. The Ace with the F100X and RP3 is awsome. It feels like a hard tail when you want a hard tail but becomes buttery smooth when things get rough. I can't wait to get this thing out in a race situation. The front shock was easy to set up, I just put in the same amount of air that I used in my RLC, the rear is taking more playing around, I'm not using the full travel in the back yet, but I'll get that dialed in soon enough.

I have the Ace not the xlite, when I'm at my race weight of 175 I still think I'm a little heavy for anything labeled xlite. I would recommed using a fork with a inertia valve of somesort to match the RP3. Hope this helped you, If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

jim
    What size frame is that?

I was actually inquiring the size of the ACE. But those 29ers are pretty cool. I got to check out one from Vicious Cycles at MBW. Is it hard finding parts for a 29? I usually order on-line and I don't see much for them.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianPersuasion
    I was actually inquiring the size of the ACE. But those 29ers are pretty cool. I got to check out one from Vicious Cycles at MBW. Is it hard finding parts for a 29? I usually order on-line and I don't see much for them.
    Parts are easy to get I usally order from webcyclery or speedgoat and ebay is a good source
    also.

mtbr member

New Colonel Pics !

Heres a recent pic of my Colonel, now with Marzocchi SLs !

mtbr member
    My Colonel 29er with a Rohloff.

Jan 2004

My 99 Dean Jester Soft Tail

I have always thought Dean was a great frame builder, so when I had the oppurtunity to pick this up I just had to. They did some great work with steel not too long ago! Still waiting for some parts to complete the build, but I really dig how it rides.

mtbr member

Dean Ace

Just picked up this beauty. 2000 ACE ? $400 on EBay

mtbr member
    DEAN frame give away here

mtbr member

Upset Dean Customer Service

I ordered a colonel about 4 weeks ago over the phone. I've been trying since then to get Dean to confirm my order by both email and phone. They never bother to get back to me for some reason.

Only time they seem to have time for you, is if you're buying something. Their message says they will answer all "order status" calls within 24 hours. This is supposedly their "not so busy" time of year, so there's no excuse for blowing people off that I can see.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how they dealt with these guys? Professionalism is far more than the product you produce. Any feedback???

mtbr member
    DEAN always responded to my emails within hours. Yes, I too had to wait along time for my frame, but the wait was worth it. If you are in a hurry then I suggest that you take your business to an off the shelf builder like MOOTS but be prepared to pay extra.

mtbr member

No problem waiting......

DEAN always responded to my emails within hours. Yes, I too had to wait along time for my frame, but the wait was worth it. If you are in a hurry then I suggest that you take your business to an off the shelf builder like MOOTS but be prepared to pay extra.

I've got no problem waiting for the bike, but I DO have a problem with the things I mentioned previously.
    Un-returned emails,
    Un-returned phone calls, etc. Perhaps they are all on vacation?????? That's good they returned your calls/emails..................I can't figure why they aren't responding to me.....I've been nothing but polite and patient......

Any other suggestions on getting them to be responsive???>

mtbr member
    Yes, set a deadline and email them saying that if they dont confirm your order before the deadline expires that youīll take your business elsewhere.

I find it hard to believe that they arnīt responding to your emails. With me they were as good as gold in that department. Maybe they are short staffed or something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Call the tech support/order line to get through

Quote Originally Posted by ChiRho
    Any other suggestions on getting them to be responsive???>
    I think the secret to getting through to them is calling their toll free, and instead of punching the "order status" button (which is not a manned line BTW), just press the "technical support/placing an order" button and you'll get right through to a person during business hours.

They are small and don't have a lot of staff, but that's why they can maintain good prices for quality products. Not making excuses for them, but understand you're not dealing with a big firm.
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member

Dean Auction

I just noticed, there's also a new auction up on the Dean USA website. A chance to bid on a Colonel 29er or one of their road bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by chruby99
    Just picked up this beauty. 2000 ACE ? $400 on EBay
    Funny. You seemed so proud of it when you posted and now it's back up on eBay.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

mtbr member

Dean Ace

Yes I was Very Excited, but I found I needed the cash more than the frame. I bought it for $400 and sold it for $680 Not a bad Deal Now I used that to get Avidbb7 disc brakes, Integrated Xt shifters, XTR remote shifter, Titec Ti bar and, set of Xt centerlock/Mavic 717disc for My Bianchi Tycoon Reparto Course. And I also had money left to get a large Santa Cruz Cahmeleon to replace my Medium one and a Marzocchi Marathon s 120 and a set of Old School Bullseye hubs. So it is a little give and take. Ill Just ahve to wait til next year and get My second Dean Mabee a 29" Colonel. If I can make a buck and get something better what the hell I just found a mint 03 XT crank set 03 xt integrated shifters, XT front ,& XTR rear derailer for $115 that is an awesome deal but I am going to turn around and sell them make about $70-$100 Hell those would go great on my chameleon but why not flip them and get an XTR crank set brand new. It is like the stock market. If I kept the Dean It would be a long time to get the RIGHT parts on it. Now I got a Chameleon with all the parts to ride it minus a BB, chain, headset, rims and tires, SS hell yea.