Dean On Test !!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dean On Test !!!!

Seven, Dean, Merlin, Moots or Litespeed ???? I just couldnt decide which Ti manufacturer to buy a new hardtail frame. After alot of research and deliberation I decided to opt for the DEAN since 1: I have only read great reviews about their build quality (this is where LITESPEED fell by the wayside) 2: the cheapest (bye bye Merlin) 3: an independent small company and 100% handmade (cya Litespeed and Moots) 4: the lightest.

So, I phoned up John at DEAN and spoke to him about my requirements, I must say that I found him to be very patient, forthcoming and helpful. I decided on the frame and colour scheme and was then told that it would take 3-4 weeks to be built. I too have also been quoted the magic 4 weeks. This made me apprehensive, so I immediately told him about the experiences that I read about on this site and that I definitely wanted the frame by august. If I get mucked around then I will simply cancel my order and go elsewhere. John was however very reassuring and said that 3 - 4 weeks was very feasible, and that DEAN, being such a small firm, were simply unable to cope with the surge in demand at the beginning of this year.

I must say that Im not very confident but im nevertheless going to give DEAN a chance to honour their word and to take a big step towards redeeming their reputation on this forum. I will keep you all updated so watch this space.............
    Last edited by 20_bandh; 07-02-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Jed Peters
    Tell us how you like your bike in 4 months when you get it.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by 20_bandh

I must say that Im not very confident but im nevertheless going to give DEAN a chance to honour their word and to take a big step towards redeeming their reputation on this forum. I will keep you all updated so watch this space.............
    John has never been anything but an honest and reliable guy to me. I was told 6 weeks on the last Dean I ordered. It showed up in 6 weeks on the nose.

Dean is a handful of talented guys that love to ride and have a passion for making bikes. It's a small shop and they work their tails off everyday. If you're ever in the Boulder neighborhood, give them a call. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you around. Enjoy your Dean!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

good choice...

if you get your frame on time. don't hold your breathe though. i know a few people who were "promised" short wait times, but that wait double, tripled, heck even turned out five times longer than they were quoted.

i have a 03 dean duke. great build, and it was "only" two weeks late (quoted 6 weeks, came in about 8 weeks). my next frame will probably be made by dean, a 29er colonel, with a bushnell ebb, disc only. i will probably order a couple of MONTHS before i am actually ready to get the frame (does that make sense?).

always ask for john on the phone, and don't be pissy when you speak to the people at dean. also, make sure you dot every "i" with your frame order, i know a guy who waited about 20 weeks for his frame, and when he got it, had to send it back because it wasn't exactly what he ordered. a 20 week wait should yield a frame what is exactly what was ordered.

cheers and good luck/congrats on your order. oh, what frame did you order?

Seven, Dean, Merlin, Moots or Litespeed ???? I just couldnt decide which Ti manufacturer to buy a new hardtail frame. After alot of research and deliberation I decided to opt for the DEAN since 1: I have only read great reviews about their build quality (this is where LITESPEED fell by the wayside) 2: the cheapest (bye bye Merlin) 3: an independent small company and 100% handmade (cya Litespeed and Moots) 4: the lightest.

So, I phoned up John at DEAN and spoke to him about my requirements, I must say that I found him to be very patient, forthcoming and helpful. I decided on the frame and colour scheme and was then told that it would take 3-4 weeks to be built. I too have also been quoted the magic 4 weeks. This made me apprehensive, so I immediately told him about the experiences that I read about on this site and that I definitely wanted the frame by august. If I get mucked around then I will simply cancel my order and go elsewhere. John was however very reassuring and said that 3 - 4 weeks was very feasible, and that DEAN, being such a small firm, were simply unable to cope with the surge in demand at the beginning of this year.

mtbr member
    ive ordered a colonel x lite custom. A couple of hours after speaking to John I had received the drawings for approval. Im positive that I am going to get what I want.

Since you want one on your next dean, could you tell me what the benefits are of a bushnell ebb over a standard bb ?
    Last edited by 20_bandh; 07-12-2004 at 12:33 AM.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

are you getting a x-lite single speed frame?

that would be pretty sweet. a custom ti frame, with butted tubing at that price is awesome...dean is great, value wise.

as for the ebb. bushnell with place the expanding pressure around the entire bb shell. as for the screw set that dean normally uses, it places prressure where the bolt go into the frame...make sense? anyways, the screw set bb with actually stretch and won't look as nice, but it should cause any problems in time. the bb will become an slight elliptical shape.

a bushnell will be heavier and more expensive, but astetically, over time, it's a good way to go.

like i said, always talk to john is regrads to your order, and be nice. i had spoken to one dean employee about 2 weeks ago. i asked if a bushnell bb is possible with dean frame because it seems they favor using the screw set type (looking at pics on their website). the guy on the phone said it IS NOT possible to order a ss frane with a bushnell. then, i email john with a few specs, he says that a bushnell IS possible. go figure.

cheers!

ive ordered a colonel x lite custom. A couple of hours after speaking to John I had received the drawings for approval. Im positive that I am going to get what I want.

Since you want one on your next dean, could you tell me what the benefits are of a bushnell ebb over a standard bb ?

mtbr member
    No, I will be going geared. I considered going ss but thought that it wouldnt be wise considering that I do alot of my riding in and around the alps. What impressed me about Dean is that they are so reasonably priced in comparison to other ti firms (moots,seven and merlin) and yet the workmanship is still second to none. It just goes to show the profits that these firms are making.

ride
    No, I will be going geared. I considered going ss but thought that it wouldnt be wise considering that I do alot of my riding in and around the alps. What impressed me about Dean is that they are so reasonably priced in comparison to other ti firms (moots,seven and merlin) and yet the workmanship is still second to none. It just goes to show the profits that these firms are making.
    NO need to worry about SS v geared, now. They are using new replaceable dropouts for both sides. You can take them off and replace them with horizontal SS dropouts. Very sweet.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member

I just ordered a DEAN as well...

I am fully aware of the "wait" times from DEAN and I am ok with that since I am in no rush to get the bike. Sooner is always better, but not a necessity for me.
    I ordered a DEAN Duke soft tail, single speed, disc brake specific with an EBB designed for 100mm fork.
    Quoted about 8 weeks delivery so we will see what actuall happens.
    I was torn between the Dean and Curtlo, but in the end it was only going to cost me $500 difference between the two......I figured $500 to go Ti was the way to go...frame will always look new.

KMan

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

sweet...

kman, your frame sure sounds sweet!!! i'm still trying to sell my duke or ripley...maybe both. if i can't sell the duke, white ind. has a eno eccentric DISC hub in the works, it should be ready by the end of this summer.

also, 20_bandh, check out dean's webite, they updated it pretty recently. it looks like they offer the kavik modular dropout system, so you can change the type of dropout you have. that would really sweet option!!!

also, earlier, i meant to say that a streched out set screw ebb shouldN"T cause problems, it just wouldn't looks as nice ans a bushnell.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I am fully aware of the "wait" times from DEAN and I am ok with that since I am in no rush to get the bike. Sooner is always better, but not a necessity for me.
    I ordered a DEAN Duke soft tail, single speed, disc brake specific with an EBB designed for 100mm fork.
    Quoted about 8 weeks delivery so we will see what actuall happens.
    I was torn between the Dean and Curtlo, but in the end it was only going to cost me $500 difference between the two......I figured $500 to go Ti was the way to go...frame will always look new.

KMan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    kman, your frame sure sounds sweet!!! i'm still trying to sell my duke or ripley...maybe both. if i can't sell the duke, white ind. has a eno eccentric DISC hub in the works, it should be ready by the end of this summer.
    why are you selling them? it sounds like you are already setup with two nice frames as it is...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

selling because i'm hooked on my 29er SS, NM

Quote Originally Posted by drgthumbs
    why are you selling them? it sounds like you are already setup with two nice frames as it is...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    KAM, I'll trade you my Sycip? Hey, I've gotta try...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

email me...

the frames are both xl, a dean duke, and a ibis ripley. both are really sweet rides. more info on your sycip, please

kamnpritiATyahooDOTcom

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by drgthumbs
    KAM, I'll trade you my Sycip? Hey, I've gotta try...

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Tell us how you like your bike in 4 months when you get it.
    AT LEAST 4 months... I ordered in Feb, still waiting.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    John has never been anything but an honest and reliable guy to me. I was told 6 weeks on the last Dean I ordered. It showed up in 6 weeks on the nose.

Dean is a handful of talented guys that love to ride and have a passion for making bikes. It's a small shop and they work their tails off everyday. If you're ever in the Boulder neighborhood, give them a call. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you around. Enjoy your Dean!

I just saw this Dean last night, and it makes me want scrounge under the seat cushions for spare $100 bills.. A seriously nice bike.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member

Still waiting.

The frame should have arrived this week but still hasnt left DEANs factory. mm surprise surprise..............

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

sound like...

sounds like the same exact thing i was told when i ordered my duke (they told me my frame was being brushed and decal'd, it would go out in about 2 days, i ended up getting it about 2 weeks later).

just be patient and hope that they are alteast workign on your frame. please post pics when you get it. i have spoken to john a couple of times. i may order a custom colonel 29er single speed frame from dean (or maybe desalvo). and yes...i can wait if i chose dean. i was waiting for you to post an update . hopefully, your frame isn't too late and you have something else to ride.

The frame should have arrived this week but still hasnt left DEANs factory. mm surprise surprise..............
    Last edited by Kam; 08-13-2004 at 09:38 AM. Reason: .

mtbr member
    I was told that the frame would be leaving the factory today. Ive got a couple of weeks vacation at the moment and unfortunately Ive got nothing else to ride (

Also, im in Europe which means that ill have to wait a week for the frame to get here (

I sort of knew that this was going to happen, I was offered locally a good deal on a Moots Rigor Mootis, but couldnt justify the extra 500 $. Sort of regret not snapping it up while I had the chance....

Will post pictures as soon as it turns up. . . . .z z Z Z Z

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    sounds like the same exact thing i was told when i ordered my duke (they told me my frame was being brushed and decal'd, it would go out in about 2 days, i ended up getting it about 2 weeks later).

just be patient and hope that they are alteast workign on your frame. please post pics when you get it. i have spoken to john a couple of times. i may order a custom colonel 29er single speed frame from dean (or maybe desalvo). and yes...i can wait if i chose dean. i was waiting for you to post an update . hopefully, your frame isn't too late and you have something else to ride.

mtbr member

Its arrived

I was told 4-5 weeks and it came after 7.5 weeks,

The frame is a work of art, the welds are immaculate and it really is feather light, 2.9 lbs for an 18" custom X-lite. I built it up today but couldnt ride it since my bike shop sold me the wrong brake cables arghhh... so have to wait until tomorrow now.

I've posted a taster for you all to have a look at, will post more once its finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

nice...

nice x-lite. what size frame is that, 'bout a medium/17"??? that weight is crazy!!! nice fork too, i ran a pace rc31 carbon on my custom steel ss, loved it. i wish pace would get their head out of their @sses and make a rc31 with longer legs for the 29er crowd...seriously, how tough would it be to cut the carbon in a longer length???

cheers!

I was told 4-5 weeks and it came after 7.5 weeks,

The frame is a work of art, the welds are immaculate and it really is feather light, 2.9 lbs for an 18" custom X-lite. I built it up today but couldnt ride it since my bike shop sold me the wrong brake cables arghhh... so have to wait until tomorrow now.

I've posted a taster for you all to have a look at, will post more once its finished.

mtbr member
    Its an 18 " Custom. Im in between sizes so thought custom was the way to go.
    Have you spoken to PACE ? My RC31s are the 2004 model and are longer than their predecessors. I bought them from PACE's website as part of a closeout deal.

Im going to take my DEAN out today so ill drop you a line later on and let you know how it rides.
    Last edited by 20_bandh; 09-03-2004 at 11:01 PM.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

crown to axle, please...

i did email pace before, and they told me that they didn't have plans on a 29er pace rc31. sad...anything else that is truely suspension correct is full custom, takes a month or more to be made, and will cost about $250-350.

what is the crown to axle on you pace rc31??? the one i had was about 415mm, i think they newer models, like your's, are 420mm???

yea...give use a ride report and a few more shots!!!

cheers!

Its an 18 " Custom. Im in between sizes so thought custom was the way to go.
    Have you spoken to PACE ? My RC31s are the 2004 model and are longer than their predecessors. I bought them from PACE's website as part of a closeout deal.

Im going to take my DEAN out today so ill drop you a line later on and let you know how it rides.