Dean seattube Shim- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Dean seattube Shim

Hi,
    Will like to ask all the fellow Dean colonel/Scout owner if they're seat tube come with a shim like the picture attach?
    What is is for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fashionably functional...
    I have one on my Ace. From what I know/was told, Ti is kinda a sticky material. The shim eliminates the Ti to Ti contact to prevent seizing. I may be wrong but it sounded logical at the time. The shim is the only poor assembly area I find on the bike. It looks like it was inserted off center. BTW, mine may need some lubing cuz I'm getting a click from that area. The guys at DEAN told me to pour some oil between that shim and seat tube by pouring it into the tube and turning her upside down.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by AsianPersuasion
    I The guys at DEAN told me to pour some oil between that shim and seat tube by pouring it into the tube and turning her upside down.
    thanks Man!

you make in a very happy man again..

Little oil and inverting the bike do the magic.
    No more creaking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Is there a shim in other's colonel or x lite?

mtbr member

shim

Quote Originally Posted by Deans
    Is there a shim in other's colonel or x lite?
    I've got one on my 05 Colonel. Had some creaking going on with the shim and Ti seatpost after a couple of rides that was alleviated as others have posted by putting a small amount of oil inside the seat tube, then turning the bike upside down.
    Support your Local Coffee Roaster

mtbr member
    Question: What kind of oil did you guys use and how did you get it beyond where the shim ends before turning the frame upside down??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    Question: What kind of oil did you guys use and how did you get it beyond where the shim ends before turning the frame upside down??

Thanks!
    Plain old 2:1 household lubricating oil squirted in from the top. Also a small dab between the shim and tubing where the groove is cut in the tubing. Just be careful not to get it all over your outside finish as Ti is a fairly porous metal and could blemish. I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to do this, but this worked for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Creak came back after 2 ride even after pouring oil in and inverted the bike
    Is there anyway to remove the shim completely so I can clean and grease it?

mtbr member

try contact Dean directly

Quote Originally Posted by Deans
    Creak came back after 2 ride even after pouring oil in and inverted the bike
    Is there anyway to remove the shim completely so I can clean and grease it?
    You may want to send Tyler at Dean an email and perhaps he can give you some better advice. His email is [email protected]

Have you got the Dean Ti seatpost also? I had some creak also coming from the seatpost clamp. You can fix that the same way as the shim described above. Give Tyler a couple days to get back with you, but let us know what he suggests and your outcome, please.

Members who have read this thread: 0