Dean Scout, build advice?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    181

    Dean Scout, build advice?

    I am building up a Dean scout frame from the ground up. I'm looking for some advice on equipment. They recomend an 80mm fork. Shoud I stick with that or go more. I was thinking Fox or a Manitou skareb. I was also thing of going Sram on the drivetrain. Juicy 7 brakes..........? Carbon seat post and flat bar..................? Just thoughts so far, let me know what you think.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jm03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    335
    Just ordered a colonial, had juicy's and sram on last bike, hated them. Going avid mechanical, and total shimano. Can't comment on forks, i'm forced into a reba due to mine being a 29er. The juicy's had horrible vibration, i believe due to that stupid rotor design of theirs. And the sram stuff just didn't seem that great, didn't like their thumb shifters. And their cassette and chain was noisy.
    Last edited by jm03; 09-26-2005 at 04:40 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 20_bandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    222
    Hi, i´m running 85mm Marzocchis on my Colonel and am more than happy. I ALMOST went with 100mm but was told by several people thaqt this would upset the geometry and make the bike "chopper". More and more hardtails are being designed around 100mm+ forks. If I was you I would stick with 80-100mm. A few manufacturers including FOX make adjustable travel forks, that way you can experiment and find what suits you best. Good luck.

  4. #4
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Just ordered a colonial, had juicy's and sram on last bike, hated them. Going avid mechanical, and total shimano. Can't comment on forks, i'm forced into a reba due to mine being a 29er. The juicy's had horrible vibration, i believe due to that stupid rotor design of theirs. And the sram stuff just didn't seem that great, didn't like their thumb shifters. And their cassette and chain was noisy.
    I hope you have another bike to ride while waiting the two or three months it takes for Dean to build a frame.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    I hope you have another bike to ride while waiting the two or three months it takes for Dean to build a frame.

    I have not had a bad experience with Dean so far. Everything has been on time so far. I asked them to call me abut two weeks out and they did. I told them I did care how long it took to get the frame as long as the estimate was within a week or two. It appears that their estimated time may be spot on, 6 weeks. I will keep you posted. Either way, I am OK, I have other stuff to ride.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    181

    Good job!

    [QUOTE=velocipus]I hope you have another bike to ride while waiting the two or three months it takes for Dean to build a frame

    I already have the frame, I did send it in to DEAN to have a disc tab welded on and I have been very happy with the customer service. It took about 2 weeks. They really were on top of it. They e-mailed me multiple times to let me know the progress and ask me questions.

  7. #7
    Fashionably functional...
    Reputation: AsianPersuasion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    310
    I love these people who never had first hand experiences with DEAN bashing on the company. Mine has always been positive. STOP READING THE TRASH THREADS. Everybody has some b!tching about some company. With DEAN, you're getting custom from a small in-house builder. Perfection and quality takes time. Even my Santa Cruz took weeks to get in. If you want the mass produced, everyday bike shop, never short stock, dime a dozen/break the bank rdiculously expensive, cookie cutter, everybody has one/nobody wants one kind of bikes, there are plenty of other threads to read. But the ones smart enough to realize the quality and value of a DEAN really like our bikes...and are happy enough with the CS to continue to deal with them.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jm03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    335
    I agree, I think half these people order their bikes in spring and want them for summer. Fact is they are reasonably priced frames that have incredible quality welds. Plus they have been amazingly nice to me and have cut me price cuts on additionals i wanted like a fork. You can't go wrong with dean.

  9. #9
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Of course anything I say or anybody else says is subjective.......nevertheless, I would personally stick with the 80mm fork. Though you did not put $ limits which of course alters choices, I think the fork to beat is the Fox F80X....I love mine. I also loved my Marz Marathon Race 80mm which has the TST which is a great feature.

    In terms of other stuff, I would NOT go Juicy brakes. I have just seen for myself now too many times what a pain in the asss they can be....though of course you may get lucky...I would not take the chance. I have had XTR disc, Marta SLs, and Hope Mini and prefer the Hope Minis but would change the pads since the stock ones squeal. I have minis on 2 of my bikes and love them but the Martas are very sweet as well.

    I hate Shimano drivetrain stuff, especially the dual control crap but again, just my opinion. I highly recommend the SRAM X0 twist shifters with the X9 or X0 rear der. The shifting gets no cripser from my experience so unless you are completely adverse to twist shifting, at least try to ride a bike with this setup to see for yourself.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianPersuasion
    I love these people who never had first hand experiences with DEAN bashing on the company. Mine has always been positive. STOP READING THE TRASH THREADS. Everybody has some b!tching about some company. With DEAN, you're getting custom from a small in-house builder. Perfection and quality takes time. Even my Santa Cruz took weeks to get in. If you want the mass produced, everyday bike shop, never short stock, dime a dozen/break the bank rdiculously expensive, cookie cutter, everybody has one/nobody wants one kind of bikes, there are plenty of other threads to read. But the ones smart enough to realize the quality and value of a DEAN really like our bikes...and are happy enough with the CS to continue to deal with them.
    Was someone bashing Dean? I just saw someone complaining about the wait...
    My guess is he was one of the unlucky, anxious waiters.

    I've sold lots of Deans and I've had my share of problems with them not delivering on time, but the price and the quality certainly off-set the inconvenience to my customers. Dean makes fantastic frames and I'm a huge fan of the Colonel 29er. They are worth the wait.

    back to the task at hand...

    I would stick with the 80mm fork. The F80X is certainly the best (IMO) of the cross country forks. You could ride it with a 100mm fork, but what you would gain in travel, you will sacrifice in handling.
    As far as brakes: the Juicy Carbon are spendy, but nice and they seem to have worked out that annoying chatter/ moan problem. The hayes El Camino are nice too, just use loctite on the reach adjust screw. You could go tried and true with the Hayes HFX9. They are bullet-proof... My favorite is the Avid mechanical.
    SRAM X9 performs flawlessly. SRAM XO performs flawlessly and looks SAHWEEET!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.