Dean/Ionic?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dean/Ionic?

mtbr member

Dean/Ionic?

How have they treated you? I'm considering a frame from them but my calls have gone un answered and; it makes me wonder what the customer service would be like if you had a warranty issue.
    I may be being touchy but I've never had a problem contacting Turner, Intense or Ventana and I was hoping Dean?Ionic would be at least a little like those companies.

Not a Barry supporter.
    You're gonna hear a lot of bad stories but my experience was top notch. They've always gotten back to me via e-mail within 24 hours and I've always gotten someone on the phone. John quoted me 6-8 weeks and 8 weeks and 1 day later my frame arrived.

I keep hearing about them buying out other small companies and if it's true, I can see them getting stratched thin real quick but who knows if these things are true or not.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got 2 Deans, a El Diente roadbike, and a Colonel 29r EBB. Both of my transactions were relatively hassle free. You don't really get the same one-on-one, response like you do with a smaller builder but then you've got to realize as far as the custom bike market goes, Dean is a pretty large manufacturer. My road bike was 4 days early than quoted, and my 29r was about 2 weeks late. So it goes, I wasn't too put out by that. I've put thousands of miles on my El D, and I'm racking up miles on the 29r too. Both have been excellent bikes and never fail to get plenty of looks at club rides or the trailhead. BUT...

If I were to do it again, I'm not sure I'd go down this path. The reason I say this is that I recently got a custom bike from a small, one-man builder and I liked the more personal relationship I had with the builder and how I had more input in the process. Nothing at all to do with the quality of the Deans, (which is EXCELLENT btw). Also I've noticed on the Dean website that the prices have gone up significantly since I purchased mine, which would make me look at a lot of other builders now that they are in the same price bracket as Moots, Strong, etc.

Anyhow, point is, if you don't feel like you're loving your transaction with Dean, move on. There are plenty of other builders out there that will be much more interactive. Or accept that Dean isn't the most communicative of builders and just wait on it. You'll get a great bike in the end!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    How have they treated you? I'm considering a frame from them but my calls have gone un answered and; it makes me wonder what the customer service would be like if you had a warranty issue.
    What do you mean by unanswered? Did you call and there wasn't an answer, or did you leave a detailed message and not hear back? My recomendation would be to call early, like 8-9AM. I think they usually close shop around 4-5 PM.

I've never needed to deal with them since I got my Colonel, so I can't tell you how the warranty process will work.

mtbr member

many calls

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    What do you mean by unanswered? Did you call and there wasn't an answer, or did you leave a detailed message and not hear back? My recomendation would be to call early, like 8-9AM. I think they usually close shop around 4-5 PM.

I've never needed to deal with them since I got my Colonel, so I can't tell you how the warranty process will work.
    I've tried calling them 8 or 10 times and never had anyone pick up, to be fair I've only left two messages but I've not had them returned.
    I've read comments about one man builders being hard to contact I guess I hoped for something closer to my other examples.

Jul 2007

Dean Warranty: good, bad, and ugly

I bought a Dean Z-link (aluminium) in 1999 while living in Boulder. It was my first "really good" suspension bike and I really liked it. It used a Titus rear end and was a beautiful bike. John and the gang treated me very well: The bike was listed on their web site - I showed up, looked it over, then paid for it. They sent it to get painted (my chioce of colors) and I got it a week later. - Forward to 2003 - The -link breaks at the shock mount on the downtube. It simply pulled apart. I sent the frame to Dean, and after two weeks they decided to completely replace the frame. Great, right? Not really It took nine months to get me a new frame. Granted, they did redesign completely (I ended up with an aluminium Baja). But that was nine months of constant calling, and "oh, it will be ready in about two weeks" crap. Nine months of not having a bike! Now to 2007...in June the Baja breaks in exactly the same spot the Z-link broke (seat tube shock mount). This frame had almost no use since I have been riding tandem for about three years. I send the frame in to Dean with trepidation. John assures me that they want to "do the right thing". But I simply don't trust their ability to make an aluminium bike (and I really don't want to throw any money at a Dean frame right now. They are now redesigning the Baja to use a Ventana rear and i'm calling every two weeks again. If I see anything before March, I will be stunned.

Admittedly, they have (or are in the process of ) replaced two frames under warranty. But the process has been a huge pain in my butt. I bought a Ventana tandem - called Sherwood (owner) to get everything arranged and sized. He really went out of his way to help and was honest and straightforward. he even got the frame built for me in the week befor interbike!

I will wait and see what the latest Dean turns out to be (It's free) but unless it is God's own bike, I will probably dump it and start shopping.

There are better companies out there.

mtbr member
    I love my dean. They gave me a great deal on a 29er, and provided it in the time they stated. Everytime I called they were able to help me.

Jul 2007

contacting Dean

I should have also stated that I am almost always able to reach John or Pete by phone. They are always very polite and frequently apologetic about the time it has taken. It just takes a really long time...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

S-l-o-w

I put a deposit on my Johnny Rotten Frame around April 1st and they told me 6-8 weeks. It's been over 13 weeks and I still don't have my frame.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    I have had 2 dean frames. Both were good quality. But with both frames i went to the shop and purchased them in person (in CO). The first time they just happen to have the size i needed in stock (or atleast the size they thought i needed).

My Ti Colonel never fit right. I told them the specs i wanted and they 'just happened' to have my size on the rack. They stickered it and sent me on my way. Once i got back to VT i measured it and it was NOT what they told me it was. Phone calls were never returned initially and eventually once we spoke i had given up and just build the bike since i needed a bike to ride. The bike had a nice finish, good ride quality, just didn't fit right.

I ordered a Z-Link in 99 so i could have a dually. It rode great and actually fit me. Welds and finish were decent. I ended up breaking my Z-Link at the rocker on the frame about 6 months after getting it, the warrenty took almost a year as they were going thru rear-end changes. I ended up just settling with a road frame that i turned around and sold.

For my last frames i went to Carl Strong of Strong Racing Frames. He is a busy 1 man shop, but builds you exactly what you want. He has a longer build time, but he is accurate on his build times. His honestly and communication will keep me coming back. I currently have a Strong road and Mtn frames. Both are perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

new Ionic JR

18 weeks and counting! Could be 09' before I get to ride this thing!

Known Mountainbiker
    I'd say you got a 50-50 chance of getting good service.

They were late on my frame delivery but they quickly sent the slider jack screws they forgot to send with the frame.

I think the key is to call when they're not busy. Good luck

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Don't waste your time with thest jokers!

Quote Originally Posted by tsaffvail
    18 weeks and counting! Could be 09' before I get to ride this thing!
    I ended up cancelling this frame. Originally, they told me 6 to 8 weeks and it got to 6 months. They never returned calls or emails. Dean, Ionic = poor communication!

Buyer beware!

mtbr member
    It took mine 11 months. I dont know why they keep underestimating times, but the end result is fantastic.

Members who have read this thread: 0