DEAN Duke 07?- Mtbr.com

Thread: DEAN Duke 07?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DEAN Duke 07?

Anyone got an 07 or 08 model Duke with some saddle time?

Looking for the newer model with the rear shock (RP23) positioned under the top tube versus at the junction of the seatstay to seat tube model and 2" of rear travel.

Inquiring how the bike handles/functions/fit/finish etc before I place an order and hopefully get it before Christmas!

Thanks!

Jul 2007

Christmas at best

Judging by your comment, you are aware of the DEAN horror stories. I haven't ridden the Duke, so you can ignore this if you want. I strongly reccommened you find a different company to deal with. DEAN has the worst customer service that I have ever heard of and it really is suprisng that they are stilll in business. Just my .02, but they will not get my business again.

mtbr member
    We all know the horror stories, but i had a great experience, ordered in september, frame arrived in December, ahead of when i was promised. I wish they would have wiped the dust off the frame, but i'm not that upset since I only have 1200.00 in the frame. The welds and build quality are on par with much more expensive bikes.

mtbr member
    I also had an overall positive experience with DEAN. Yes, they missed their delivery commitment, as they have with other customers who have chimed in. Putting that aside, they were extremely helpful, willing to talk through the issues, apologetic, and the final product showed up minty. I don't think I could tell the difference between their finishing on my Colonel and other slightly higher priced folks in their segment. And, I love the bike.

mtbr member
    I have to agree with the above sentiments. I have had great customer service from John and the the guys at DEAN. I'm already planning on adding a colonel to my stable...........at some point.

To answer the real purpose of this thread........I have an ACE, and I love it. The new DUKE looks like a short travel version of the ACE, and with a Ti rear end. The RP23 is a great shock, as it eliminates the pedal induced movement, and rides nice. When I turn the pro-pedal off, it feels like much more than the 3" the ACE has.

I don't know the details of the new DUKE, like pivots and whatever, but the quality of the build is top notch. You will not be disappointed. I would just say that you need to stay on top of them during the build time.

Finally, they are one of the few builders that are still building all of their bikes here in the USA. While I can see the business end of sending it out, I'm am all about supporting the local economy. DEAN bikes are built by bicyclists for bicyclists. There just aren't too many companies out there that can say that anymore.

-C

Not a Barry supporter.
    My experience was fantastic. When I placed my order, I told them I had a race in 9 weeks and wanted to know if they could deliver the frame by then. John assured me I'd have it in 6-8 weeks. Well, 8 weeks and 1 day later, the bike arrived. I was thrilled and it was an awesome ride. It's an Ace and there was nothing I couldn't ride on it. It was smooth and handled exeptionally.

The only problem I have with it is that I ordered a 26" version. Now that I ride a 29er SS, the Dean just hangs around. I've thought of inquiring with John so see about getting a 29er rear for it as I know a 29er fork would fit it but I just haven't had the time to call. Whenever I go 29er FS, I'd REALLY like to get another Ace.

Not trying to sell anything but since mine just hangs on the wall, I would listen to offers. Of course, it's such a sweet frame that I might just have to keep it no matter what. Ahhhh....why o why didn't I go 29er when I ordered it....
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine ordered his Duke 29er in November and picked it up yesterday (4-5 months delivery time) He wasnít in a big hurry for it but we did wonder if it would ever actually come. My Titus RacerX29er took four months to get also. The Duke looks really impressive and seems to ride good in the limited riding around that we did over beers last night. His came in at 26lbs with Crossmax wheels and an XT build group. Iíll try to snap a few photos before he gets it dirty and post them here. Itís one of those frames you have to look at for a while to take everything in; there are a lot of nice details going on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The RP23 is indeed a fun thing to ride with. I just got my custom ACE a month ago and went on vacation with it. I think the new Duke will have some of that rear end softness induced by the design of the frame that I have noticed on my ACE. Maybe even more because the chainstay is not AL and oversized like on the ACE. Otherwise, it's a great idea to get more out of the flexibility potencial of the TI.

About my ACE, like other said, it feels like there is more travel than 3,5! After a few rides I had learned how to tune the RP23 and when to use propedal or not. It's getting better with time.

And about customer service with DEAN, well, you'll have to be patient, and personnaly I did not get all the parts I was asking for. But the frame is perfect and the bike was extremely well built, ready to ride, no adjustment necessary.

Members who have read this thread: 0